Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11971 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Yes, Under the DirecTV menu "TV Resolutions", the options extend all the way to 1080p. However, I provided incorrect information in my earlier post. I actually have the DirecTV DVR set to output Native mode, and my Denon does the up converting to 1080p. I stand by my original claim that the Sony does a better job when fed a 1080p signal, although I do this conversion in the AVR.

Several days ago I reported that PQ is not as good if you up-convert to 1080p/24 in the AVR instead of 1080p. In other words, if the signal is 1080p/60, and it gets converted to 1080p/24, the PQ is degraded.

Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks. Ill switch from Auto to 1080p on my denon receiver and see how it plays. Right now my Tv and Xbox One, and Fire TV all go through the Denon receiver.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 698
It could be placebo effect, but I swear my PQ is even better now that I changed the screen setting to +1. Thanks, Geoff!
Geoff D likes this.
post #11973 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
It could be placebo effect, but I swear my PQ is even better now that I changed the screen setting to +1. Thanks, Geoff!
Didn't notice any changes in PQ, but my beer tastes better than usual.... :beer:

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
post #11974 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Yeah, the improvement could well be all in your head! But what you've done is remove another layer of processing, as the TV was essentially cropping the image (even if it was only a few pixels) and rescaling it to the native resolution of the screen. It still has to upscale a "+1" 1080p image of course, but now you're getting the cleanest possible upscale from HD to UHD because 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 is directly proportional.
post #11975 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 216
For reference when viewing a 1080p image:

+1 gives you no overscan, you're getting every pixel of the 1920x1080 source.

Normal crops approximately 20 pixels from top and bottom, 30p from side to side, so you're looking at a 1860x1040 resolution image.

-1 crops approx. 40p top/bottom and 65p from side to side, so you're essentially getting 1790x1000. Not good.

Both of the latter modes make for a trickier, non-linear upscale. You can see the effect on fine detail by pulling up a test pattern with single-pixel patterns and changing the display setting on the fly, you'll see weird patterns appear in the fine single-pixel mesh which disappear with +1. I recommend the S&M 'Framing' pattern, it's got a donut-shaped ring in the middle which shows up the scaling artefacts very well.
TweakerInWA likes this.
post #11976 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Not sure if there are any ManU fans in here, but I don't have any friends to talk futbol with, so just a couple of names.

Falcoa

Blind

Man, let's hope these transfers get the offense going.

DiMaria-Rooney-Falcoa--Van Persie up front. Freaking awesome!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
post #11977 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
For reference when viewing a 1080p image:

+1 gives you no overscan, you're getting every pixel of the 1920x1080 source.

Normal crops approximately 20 pixels from top and bottom, 30p from side to side, so you're looking at a 1860x1040 resolution image.

-1 crops approx. 40p top/bottom and 65p from side to side, so you're essentially getting 1790x1000. Not good.

Both of the latter modes make for a trickier, non-linear upscale. You can see the effect on fine detail by pulling up a test pattern with single-pixel patterns and changing the display setting on the fly, you'll see weird patterns appear in the fine single-pixel mesh which disappear with +1. I recommend the S&M 'Framing' pattern, it's got a donut-shaped ring in the middle which shows up the scaling artefacts very well.
Confirmed, the Framing pattern is an excellent way to show the effects of changing the Display Area setting. The center ring clearly shows moire and streaks at any setting other than +1. As I mentioned earlier, knowing which test pattern to pull up on the S&M disk can be invaluable. Nice tip, Geoff!
Geoff D likes this.
post #11978 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Your direct TV has an option to upscale to 1080p? I know my Denon Receiver has the option (i/p scaler) but for Resolution (HDMI) I have it set to Auto. Wondering if I should set it to 1080p or 1080p:24Hz.
I have Denon receiver as well and I always disable the internal video scaler. It's better to let the TV upscale directly to 4K, rather than add an extra upscale step from whatever -> 1080p -> 4K. You're just adding processing on top of processing which is not good.
post #11979 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Watch some cable tv, then poped in karate kid "mastered in 4k" and I have to say I was disappointed with the picture quality, the pictures look much better at best buy I dont understand, why cant mine look like what I saw at the store

I havent viewed any content on the fmp-10 yet to be fair

Question
Is there anything I can do improve the picture quality to get better resolution?

I tried hooking up a subwolfer to my 65 inch 900a but it failed, has anyone hooked up a subwolfer directly to the xbr-900a with success?

Last question is, how do I connect the 900a to wifi, where do I go link them up so I can ger updates

I posted pics of my hdmi port, my cable and blu-ray are hooked up to port 2 and 1 with fmp-x10 hooked up to port 4 (port 4 is off to the right by itself.

On my model is port 4 the only port capable of hdmi 2.0 and 4k display, perhapse thats why my blue-ray player and cable tv is not displayin the way it should like in the store

Basically......HELP!!..LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140901_162938.jpg (195.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20140901_162903.jpg (167.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20140901_162931.jpg (197.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by ultraflexed; Yesterday at 09:29 PM.
post #11980 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys. So I played a 3d movie for the first time on my 65". My tv is above my fireplace so it's not really at eye level but not too high. It seemed to me the 3d wasn't rally working right. I could still see double images. When I had the 55" in the same spot at same height I didn't have this issue even when I was sitting on the floor and watching a 3d movie. With the 65" I am seeing double images while sitting on my couch but when I stand and my eye level is somewhat in the lower 1/3 level of the tv, then I see the picture properly in the 3d. Is this normal ? Do I need to lower the tv to watch 3d movies. And this happened in all the 3d movies I have.
post #11981 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

@ultraflexed

You should have a stunning picture with up-converted 1080p from the Blu-ray. Have you customized your settings yet? There are several thread participants that have posted custom picture settings that will improve your PQ. And remember to turn off the Eco settings!

I don't think the 900a will support a sub connection.

Regarding the WiFi connection, not sure where your issue is. Click the Home button, and scroll to the network settings icon. It should be intuitive from that point.
post #11982 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqasjamal View Post
Hey guys. So I played a 3d movie for the first time on my 65". My tv is above my fireplace so it's not really at eye level but not too high. It seemed to me the 3d wasn't rally working right. I could still see double images. When I had the 55" in the same spot at same height I didn't have this issue even when I was sitting on the floor and watching a 3d movie. With the 65" I am seeing double images while sitting on my couch but when I stand and my eye level is somewhat in the lower 1/3 level of the tv, then I see the picture properly in the 3d. Is this normal ? Do I need to lower the tv to watch 3d movies. And this happened in all the 3d movies I have.
3D is very sensitive to the vertical viewing angle. You should have a wall mount that allows you to tilt the panel downwards so it points directly at you. Or stop watching 3D.
post #11983 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM

How do I turn off the eco settings ?

About to read the through the link in your sig about setting ir up
post #11984 of 11990 Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM

Just read through your settings, will try it tomarrow , I have a couple questions.

Why did you turn mastered in 4k off in your settings?

What are my options if I cant direct connect a subwolfer?

And how do you turn off the eco settings?

The settings you recommend, is that just for 4k pictures or would that work when viewing 3d as well?
post #11985 of 11990 Old Today, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Forgot to quote, this message is in response to AJ's question...

The higher frame rate in gaming is essential when panning quickly around the environment, usually to shoot something before it shoots you. It's difficult to resolve all the action with only 30fps. WRT the post already answering your question, I can attest to the higher frame rate mitigating some of an LCD panel's weaknesses like latency and motion resolution. On our TV a 30fps game doesn't look so hot; motion "looses resolution" and everything gets a bit flickery and blurry. On a game that runs at 60fps, however, those issues go away to a very large extent. It's night and day.

I'm playing infamous on ps4 fight right now and even with interpolation on it's a bit messy (30 fps). Call of Duty and Metro look pretty great (60 fps, game mode on, interpolation off); the motion blur is pretty minimal.

AJ, do you have a Darblet connected? I got one response when I asked a few pages ago and was hoping some others would weigh in. The PQ on this set is among the best I've seen. I'm wondering if the Darblet really does make a difference, and in what way is it noticeable? Being a gamer I'm also curious how much latency the extra processing adds.

My phone magically started working with the tv today. It wouldn't synch before. I threw a 4k video clip from YouTube onto the set and watched it: some nature footage. It looked incredible, but very well could have been just full hd. The display button didn't show me the resolution and the Android phone app didn't list it either. I suspect it wasn't 4k, but my God, some shots were jaw dropping nonetheless.
post #11986 of 11990 Old Today, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrzone View Post
Forgot to quote, this message is in response to AJ's question...

The higher frame rate in gaming is essential when panning quickly around the environment, usually to shoot something before it shoots you. It's difficult to resolve all the action with only 30fps. WRT the post already answering your question, I can attest to the higher frame rate mitigating some of an LCD panel's weaknesses like latency and motion resolution. On our TV a 30fps game doesn't look so hot; motion "looses resolution" and everything gets a bit flickery and blurry. On a game that runs at 60fps, however, those issues go away to a very large extent. It's night and day.

I'm playing infamous on ps4 fight right now and even with interpolation on it's a bit messy (30 fps). Call of Duty and Metro look pretty great (60 fps, game mode on, interpolation off); the motion blur is pretty minimal.

AJ, do you have a Darblet connected? I got one response when I asked a few pages ago and was hoping some others would weigh in. The PQ on this set is among the best I've seen. I'm wondering if the Darblet really does make a difference, and in what way is it noticeable? Being a gamer I'm also curious how much latency the extra processing adds.

My phone magically started working with the tv today. It wouldn't synch before. I threw a 4k video clip from YouTube onto the set and watched it: some nature footage. It looked incredible, but very well could have been just full hd. The display button didn't show me the resolution and the Android phone app didn't list it either. I suspect it wasn't 4k, but my God, some shots were jaw dropping nonetheless.
Thanks for the informative response. It is always nice to see when someone takes the time to explain something clearly.

Yes, I do have a Darblet. Darbee processing provides a subtle, though IMO pleasant, clarity improvement to the PQ. If you want to get other people's impressions, there is a quite lengthy thread here on AVS. The same improvements that I was getting with my 1080p set, I get with the X900a.

Unfortunately, since I am not a gamer, I cannot comment on whether the Darbee processing adds any latency.
post #11987 of 11990 Old Today, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
Just read through your settings, will try it tomarrow , I have a couple questions.

Why did you turn mastered in 4k off in your settings?

What are my options if I cant direct connect a subwolfer?

And how do you turn off the eco settings?

The settings you recommend, is that just for 4k pictures or would that work when viewing 3d as well?
If you do a search on the MI4K setting here, you will see that the opinion is that leaving it off, like many of the other unnecessary processing options, results in a slightly better PQ.

In my case, the display is hooked to a full home theater system, including subwoofers.

You access the Eco settings by pressing the Home button, and then selecting Preferences. Turn them all off.

The settings are for 2D viewing. For 3D viewing, increase Backlight to Max, and raise the Picture setting to provide adequate brightness.
post #11988 of 11990 Old Today, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I spoke to Sony Canada's Technical Customer Service last week... Following up on their promise to upgrade my HDMI #4 board to HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 support as well as delivering an X10 for reduced price of $199(CDN).

They said that they would in fact do this upgrade and provide the X10 for that price, however not until the 2nd week of September. So another couple of weeks and I will call back to set up an appointment.

They also offered an X5 option with only a firmware update? I didn't ask how much, as I really wanted the 1Tb HDD in the X10.
post #11989 of 11990 Old Today, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
brenthenry. Your comment caught my attention. I have an 850A and was very interesting in buying the X10. In July I spoke with Sony Support and they told me my only option was to buy an X5 for $400 the second week in Sept. Hmmm. Getting an X10 for $199 seems like a better solution to me.
post #11990 of 11990 Old Today, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm in Canada by the way.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page