Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 401 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12001 of 12003 Old Today, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Austinjerry, back when I got my set I used your settings that were updated 7/4. I checked your settings today that are dated 8/31. I see that you made some minor changes to the picture/brightness settings but what appears to be bigger changes in the white balance section?
We're these a result of recalibrating your set?
Thanks, Gerry
Nice catch. I am always making minor changes to the settings PDF. For example, I just added the tip for the Display Area setting, based on our recent conversations here in the thread.

As far as the White Balance values, they have indeed changed, but I didn't realize they had changed dramatically. I don't always go back and look at previous versions of the PDF. What changed for me recently is I am using a different disk for the test patterns. Previously, I had been using a disk called AVS HD709 (a free download here on AVS). Since I am such a big fan of the Spears&Munsil version 2 Blu-ray calibration disk, I started using the test patterns from that disk, which I am sure account for some of the changes. I also recently posted a new method for establishing the level of the Color setting, which has gone down on my set from a value of 55 to its current value of 51. I am sure this change impacted the White Balance settings as well.

So, bottom line is that White Balance settings are usually display-specific, and require test gear to set them properly. In my Settings PDF, I clearly state "use at your own risk" . While I think they should result in reasonably close grayscale on your display, the only real way to check is to learn how to do a DIY calibration yourself. Try it--it is a lot of fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12002 of 12003 Old Today, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Nice catch. I am always making minor changes to the settings PDF. For example, I just added the tip for the Display Area setting, based on our recent conversations here in the thread.

As far as the White Balance values, they have indeed changed, but I didn't realize they had changed dramatically. I don't always go back and look at previous versions of the PDF. What changed for me recently is I am using a different disk for the test patterns. Previously, I had been using a disk called AVS HD709 (a free download here on AVS). Since I am such a big fan of the Spears&Munsil version 2 Blu-ray calibration disk, I started using the test patterns from that disk, which I am sure account for some of the changes. I also recently posted a new method for establishing the level of the Color setting, which has gone down on my set from a value of 55 to its current value of 51. I am sure this change impacted the White Balance settings as well.

So, bottom line is that White Balance settings are usually display-specific, and require test gear to set them properly. In my Settings PDF, I clearly state "use at your own risk" . While I think they should result in reasonably close grayscale on your display, the only real way to check is to learn how to do a DIY calibration yourself. Try it--it is a lot of fun!
Thanks for the reply! Figured you were probably doing some additional research and tweaking . The settings look great on my TV with my old eyes!
Gerry
post #12003 of 12003 Old Today, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by waqasjamal View Post
But I didn't have this issue with the 55". It was mounted on the same mount and both are tilted at the same angle.
The 55A has a different 3D FPR than the 65A, it allows for a better vertical viewing angle at the expense of 1080p 3D.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread