Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 406 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12151 of 12173 Old 09-17-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
Went to bestbuy and compared their 4k picture to my sony 4k 65x900a at home and still noticed their picture looks alittle more crisp and cleaner then mine, not saying mine doesnt great especially after researching numerous calibrations

even using jerry's settings and numerous others I cant get my picture up to par with bestbuy's even their samsung 4k looks better.Yesterday they had on "real steel" blue-ray on one of their 4ktv's, and the picture looked so real, its almost like live, like looking out the window, I guess some refer to this as the soap opera look? I dont know what the look is but it looks amazing. How can I get that look on my sony 65x900a? Help
Sounds like you are someone who actually prefers SOE. Turn on all your motion enhancement to eliminate all motion blur. This will give it the live video effect instead of looking like a movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12152 of 12173 Old 09-17-2014, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Posted this from another site, according to this article we should be able to view transformers 4 in 4k-3d in full resolution to each eye, so transformers 4 should be the first 4k-3d movie that can be watch in true 4k in 3d on a passive glasses without resolution loss?

The IMAX format is a pretty great way to experience a film.  Though most “IMAX” experiences these days weren’t actually filmed natively in the format and are instead just blown up versions of standard format, some filmmakers (ie. Christopher Nolan) have made it a point to push genuine IMAX to its limits.  It’s a cumbersome way to shoot a movie,  however, as the large, bulky cameras limit the director’s camera movements, and even in dramatic scenes the camera is so loud that any dialogue onscreen has to be redubbed in ADR.  However, IMAX has just unveiled a new, smaller, 65mm 4K digital 3D camera that Michael Bay used in Transformers: Age of Extinction, and the company has released a short video explaining how this new digital IMAX camera—the first of its kind—operates.  I’m very curious to see if it can stack up to the film IMAX experience.Hit the jump to watch the digital IMAX 3D camera video, and get a look at the camera in action when Transformers: Age of Extinction opens in theaters on June 27th.Here’s a few quick facts about the camera via IMAX:IMAX has developed the first fully integrated dual 65mm 4K digital large-format 3D camera.The IMAX 3D Digital Camera delivers stunning image quality and is smaller, lighter and easier to use than other 3D digital camera systems on the market.The IMAX 3D Digital Camera is a true 4K stereo camera. This means that both the left eye and right eye images are captured at full 4K resolution.Transformers: Age of Extinction is the first feature film to ever use the new IMAX3D Digital Camera.Exclusively in IMAX theatres, sequences filmed with the IMAX3D Digital Cameras will be presented in a 1.9:1 aspect ratio – offering moviegoers 26% more of the image than standard cinemas for a truly immersive IMAX 3D experience.The production team on Transformers: Age of Extinction was able to capture major action sequences of the film – including chase scenes and helicopter shots – in high-resolution 3D in a way that was previously impossible thanks to the compact size of the new cameras.Here’s the official description of the camera (via IMAX):Read more at http://collider.com/imax-3d-4k-digit...KBceIrqcvuJ.99
post #12153 of 12173 Old 09-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Posted this from another site, according to this article we should be able to view transformers 4 in 4k-3d in full resolution to each eye, so transformers 4 should be the first 4k-3d movie that can be watch in true 4k in 3d on a passive glasses without resolution loss?

The IMAX format is a pretty great way to experience a film.  Though most “IMAX” experiences these days weren’t actually filmed natively in the format and are instead just blown up versions of standard format, some filmmakers (ie. Christopher Nolan) have made it a point to push genuine IMAX to its limits.  It’s a cumbersome way to shoot a movie,  however, as the large, bulky cameras limit the director’s camera movements, and even in dramatic scenes the camera is so loud that any dialogue onscreen has to be redubbed in ADR.  However, IMAX has just unveiled a new, smaller, 65mm 4K digital 3D camera that Michael Bay used in Transformers: Age of Extinction, and the company has released a short video explaining how this new digital IMAX camera—the first of its kind—operates.  I’m very curious to see if it can stack up to the film IMAX experience.Hit the jump to watch the digital IMAX 3D camera video, and get a look at the camera in action when Transformers: Age of Extinction opens in theaters on June 27th.Here’s a few quick facts about the camera via IMAX:IMAX has developed the first fully integrated dual 65mm 4K digital large-format 3D camera.The IMAX 3D Digital Camera delivers stunning image quality and is smaller, lighter and easier to use than other 3D digital camera systems on the market.The IMAX 3D Digital Camera is a true 4K stereo camera. This means that both the left eye and right eye images are captured at full 4K resolution.Transformers: Age of Extinction is the first feature film to ever use the new IMAX3D Digital Camera.Exclusively in IMAX theatres, sequences filmed with the IMAX3D Digital Cameras will be presented in a 1.9:1 aspect ratio – offering moviegoers 26% more of the image than standard cinemas for a truly immersive IMAX 3D experience.The production team on Transformers: Age of Extinction was able to capture major action sequences of the film – including chase scenes and helicopter shots – in high-resolution 3D in a way that was previously impossible thanks to the compact size of the new cameras.Here’s the official description of the camera (via IMAX):Read more at http://collider.com/imax-3d-4k-digit...KBceIrqcvuJ.99

Active 3d sets could do 4k 3d but passive cuts the resolution in half so the x900a could never do full 4k 3d.
post #12154 of 12173 Old 09-17-2014, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
You've done well there. The unit with the separate HDMI 4 probably did NOT have the HDCP 2.2 board upgrade, whereas the build with HDMI 1,3,4 next to each other definitely does have the upgrade. What this means is that you can use the Sony 4K media players and any future equipment that requires 2.2 compatibility (which will most likely include 4K Blu-ray).
Your answer is a bit confusing Geoff. Are you suggesting that for those of us that own "A" model sets with the HDMI#2/MHL Port on the vertical side of the tv (below the USB port) are in need of a board upgrade?

I apologize if this topic has been discussed in length already. Just trying to get to the bottom of this in case I/we need to reach out to Sony and have them upgrade to the new standard...
post #12155 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro Natale View Post
Your answer is a bit confusing Geoff. Are you suggesting that for those of us that own "A" model sets with the HDMI#2 /MHL Port on the vertical side of the tv (below the USB port) are in need of a board upgrade?

I apologize if this topic has been discussed in length already. Just trying to get to the bottom of this in case I/we need to reach out to Sony and have them upgrade to the new standard...
Confusing how? HDMI #2 has absolutely nothing to do with this HDCP issue whatsoever, I didn't even mention it.

Forget about the other sockets, it's all about HDMI #4 . If it's bunched together with 1 and 3, then that's the upgraded HDCP 2.2 build. If it's on its own, a few inches to the side of the other sockets, then that's the old build.

HDMI #2 remains on the side of the TV in either case.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #12156 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro Natale View Post
Your answer is a bit confusing Geoff. Are you suggesting that for those of us that own "A" model sets with the HDMI#2/MHL Port on the vertical side of the tv (below the USB port) are in need of a board upgrade?

Why don't you just go to: https://www.4kactivation.com ? Check I have a "media player" then put in your sets serial number. It will tell you if you need an upgrade or not...
Also if the box that your TV came in has a sticker on it with a picture of the "X1" media player on it then your TV has the upgrade. Very few sets went out without the upgrade and that was back in the March-April timeframe of 2013.... Check the build date of your set also...
Gerry
Artjohn and RiED27880 like this.
post #12157 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Confusing how? HDMI #2 has absolutely nothing to do with this HDCP issue whatsoever, I didn't even mention it.

Forget about the other sockets, it's all about HDMI #4 . If it's bunched together with 1 and 3, then that's the upgraded HDCP 2.2 build. If it's on its own, a few inches to the side of the other sockets, then that's the old build.

HDMI #2 remains on the side of the TV in either case.
When I upgraded through Sony to the 65X900A from my previous 55" set, they sent me a Panel made back in May 2013 with the separate HDMI port 4 like my the original I purchased. I checked the serial number yesterday to see if its ready for the X1/X10 media player from the website and it said CONGRATULATIONS your tv does not need this activation service and its ready for the media player. I guess Sony must have changed it form factory before sending it to me early this Spring because the set was brand new. Its good to double check to see if your tv is already compatible or not even if the HDMI board 4 is not in its new position IMO.
post #12158 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM

By the way, Godzilla 3D on this set looked nothing short of spectacular! Waiting now on the Gardians and The Hobbit 3 This set continues to amaze me.
post #12159 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Went to bestbuy and compared their 4k picture to my sony 4k 65x900a at home and still noticed their picture looks alittle more crisp and cleaner then mine, not saying mine doesnt great especially after researching numerous calibrations

even using jerry's settings and numerous others I cant get my picture up to par with bestbuy's even their samsung 4k looks better.Yesterday they had on "real steel" blue-ray on one of their 4ktv's, and the picture looked so real, its almost like live, like looking out the window, I guess some refer to this as the soap opera look? I dont know what the look is but it looks amazing. How can I get that look on my sony 65x900a? Help

Sounds like you'd prefer the "general" scene select under settings and the "Standard" picture option. This is usually what Best Buy has them under, or vivid. Nothing wrong with what you like even if it might be inaccurate to others. I myself prefer the custom picture setting now. Its your tv, set it how you like If you like the motionflow to feel like you're on the set, then select "standard" or "smooth". People call it the soap opera effect, Some people love it, others hate it. lol Hope this helps a bit. Oh, and as Jerry said, make SURE you turn off all the goofy eco settings OFF under "
preference"
post #12160 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba Louey View Post
Good for you on the X5. The X5 can play several 4k formats via USB. There are some demo 4k files at this site. http://4k.cablelabs.com/
I understood that the X5 could only play Sony Camcorder formatted files via the USB? But I could not actually find any specification anywhere that confirmed which formats it supports. I was hoping that it could handle MP4's as they are fairly common?

Does anyone know for sure what formats are supported on the X5 via USB?
post #12161 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
The newer sets have HDMI 1,3 & 4 together as you describe. Having the HDMI 4 seperate requires a board swap by Sony to get HDCP 2.2 needed for the 4K media streamers (FMP-X1 & FMP-X10). You can see the date and location of manufacture on the white label on rear right of the TV.
This morning i noticed a patch over, where the older models have hdmi 4. In the older models this port is horizontal not vertical like it is with the newer sets. So it must mean that this set is upgraded. Which means the new HDMI 4 will be compatible with HDCP 2.2.

Thanks for the reply...
post #12162 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 86
She made it !!!

Got my household goods shipment yesterday, and after going through 1000 boxes to piece my system back together, I am now up and running. It's so nice to be back in the house I own, I can actually use all of my speakers, properly placed for surround, as well as start working on the atmos setup. Ceiling/no ceiling, atmos/non-atmos speakers etc.

I was initially concerned with the reported Verizon and Netflix 4k streaming issues, so it was one of the first things I looked into. Thus far on the 300/300 Verizon service no issues at all. I actually get to 2160 a lot faster here (less than 5 sec on average) compared to the gigabit Century Link line I had in Vegas, which sometimes took a minute or two. I find that surprising and disappointing at the same time. I guess century link must have been throttling service on a gig line? Pretty pathetic....

Anyway, now I get to jump on all the other boxes. I won't be starting my federal civilian job until the 6th, so I have plenty of time to get things squared away and still have time to enjoy plenty of 4k goodness

Any new developments in the X10 4.1 dilemma?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
teeitup and wk1947 like this.
post #12163 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthenry View Post
I understood that the X5 could only play Sony Camcorder formatted files via the USB? But I could not actually find any specification anywhere that confirmed which formats it supports. I was hoping that it could handle MP4's as they are fairly common?

Does anyone know for sure what formats are supported on the X5 via USB?
On Sony CDN site it gives the supported 4k formats as XAVCS (Camcorder?), AVC(H.264) (MP4?), HEVC(H.265) (Netflix). I assume that if you have these 4k files on a USB stick, the television will play them. Can you report back here once you get your X5 and have tested it?
post #12164 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
She made it !!!

Any new developments in the X10 4.1 dilemma?

Glad to see you are back in business. Regarding the 4.1 issue, LeeSoFl has been working with Sony, and an update is promised for sometime this fall.
TweakerInWA likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12165 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Glad to see you are back in business. Regarding the 4.1 issue, LeeSoFl has been working with Sony, and an update is promised for sometime this fall.
Thanks Jerry,

Seems to me it could be sorted sooner, but some news is better than no news.

My son and his buddy were blown away by the PQ (first time they've seen the display), they're Carmen fans (I know) so I played the Jimmy Kimmel clip for them using THX audio processing of course. Like I said, they were blown away. PQ is so much better in this house in NY due to the subdued lighting, the house in Vegas was so frickin bright due to the ungodly amount of windows, and the big shiny orb in the sky that shown so brightly everyday.

You don't realize how much room lighting has an effect on PQ until you actually go from one end of the spectrum to the other. It's like a whole new daytime viewing experience, and I'm not exaggerating.

Oh how much I've missed green grass and tree's as well... Another new world ... lol

Last edited by TweakerInWA; Yesterday at 12:51 PM.
post #12166 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
By the way, Godzilla 3D on this set looked nothing short of spectacular! Waiting now on the Gardians and The Hobbit 3 This set continues to amaze me.
I watched it on Tuesday and it was mind-blowing, but the sound mix for Godzilla was literally earth-shaking. I have never been able to exercise my sound system to that extent before.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #12167 of 12173 Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
You've done well there. The unit with the separate HDMI 4 probably did NOT have the HDCP 2.2 board upgrade, whereas the build with HDMI 1,3,4 next to each other definitely does have the upgrade. What this means is that you can use the Sony 4K media players and any future equipment that requires 2.2 compatibility (which will most likely include 4K Blu-ray).
I have the model that has the hdmi port 4 of to the side. But when I checked the back of the Tv it read made in 2014 may I think, I have no problems with the fmp-x10 I have, do still need the board swap for the rest of the ports?

Last edited by ultraflexed; Today at 12:23 AM.
post #12168 of 12173 Old Today, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
I have the model that has the hdmi port 4 of to the side. But when I checked the back of the Tv it read made in 2014 may I think, I have no problems with the fmp-x10 I have, do still need the board swap for the rest of the ports?
No, because the HDCP upgrade applied to port 4 only. Your set is as upgraded as it's going to get.

It's fair to say that the only hard and fast rule on this is to check the serial number on the 4K activation site if people are in doubt, as the 'off to the side' method is hardly foolproof.
post #12169 of 12173 Old Today, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Good News for those of you looking for a graphics card with hdmi 2.0 and 4K @ 60Hz.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/18/N...ell-flagships/
post #12170 of 12173 Old Today, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Has anyone tried playing a 4k file with PowerDVD Ultra 14 on their PC and ultimately on to their TV via HDMI. It seems like it should work but if someone has tried it already I'd like to learn from their experience.

Thanks.
post #12171 of 12173 Old Today, 01:41 PM

I also went to the Sony website. My HDMI 4 port is off by itself on the right side. May 2013 build. Site said good to go. So what I'm reading is , HDMI 4 could be a couple of places and activated?

Last edited by JrFlight; Today at 01:44 PM. Reason: Bad punctuation.
post #12172 of 12173 Old Today, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrFlight View Post
I also went to the Sony website. My HDMI 4 port is off by itself on the right side. May 2013 build. Site said good to go. So what I'm reading is , HDMI 4 could be a couple of places and activated?
You are good to go. What is the question?

post #12173 of 12173 Old Today, 02:13 PM

Bad puntuation. No question.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page