Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 418 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2014, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zato Ichi View Post
Hello all!

I've recently purchased the 900A for screening (as I am a 6K cinematographer) and have several questions I'm hoping you lovely experienced people might have some insights on...

1) How can one tell if they have the most recent logic board / firmware allowing HDMI 2.0 etc?

2) For the life of me I can't get the unit to accept my Apple Airport Extreme wifi credentials...without getting into more detail, might there be any obvious issues or tricks I'm missing for this unit?

3) I'm finding the latency - at least in conjunction with my Sony STR DN-840 to be too severe to play the occasional video game with the wife and am noticing minor lip sync issues with video. I know I can delay the audio in the receiver (and possibly also in the display) but that won't make games any more playable. Any thoughts on how to run the lowest latency possible with this display? Might the receiver also be contributing?

4) I find the display loses "sync" with the receiver often and getting it to reconnect is a huge PITA...any ideas? As well, is this a decent receiver to use for routing 4k and 1080p to this display?

5) I've had trouble displaying any content at all at 4K but am guessing that because this was a 2012 built display unit, that the hdmi port / logic board needs upgrading before that will be as easy and reliable as it's ever going to be. What video file codecs / wrappers will this unit see for UHD playback from the usb ports either with the original board/port or the new one? H264? H265? MP4? Any input is most welcome.

6) How does one go about getting Sony support to come install that board if I need one? Is this a free upgrade? I assume (duh) that the set needs to be removed from a wall mount for installation?

THANK YOU to any and all other owners kind enough to share their insights with me. I'm very much hoping I made a good purchase and do enjoy the image a great deal but know an avalanche of 4k displays is just a few months off and praying there are workable answers to my questions above!

Have a great day and thanks again...

~Zato
You better call Sony with all of these questions. You have the 84x900a which was built one year before the 900a TVs we have. It is not even the same TV and i think your TV originally came with a Dell media server to play 4K content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you very much...will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
You better call Sony with all of these questions. You have the 84x900a which was built one year before the 900a TVs we have. It is not even the same TV and i think your TV originally came with a Dell media server to play 4K content.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you Austin...wondering if I'm the only guy on this forum with this display lol.

Guess I'm calling Sony tomorrow ack...wish me luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Zato, I would not call it a 1080p display. After all, it up-scales all 1080p content to 4K. And if you purchase the FMP-X10 media player, you can download and play true 4K content from the Sony Entertainment Network, as well as stream 4K content from Netflix.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zato Ichi View Post
Thank you Austin...wondering if I'm the only guy on this forum with this display lol.

Guess I'm calling Sony tomorrow ack...wish me luck
That TV was 25,000 when it was released. They should be sending the CEO to your house to install the board.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have come to the conclusion that the Amazon app on the X900 is a POS. It appears to be an outdated app that cannot even tell the last episode that you watched on a different device. Example: I watch a couple episodes of a TV show on my ROKO 3- maybe next time I decide to use TV app and not only is the UI the old app with different colors (blue) that shows you what episodes that you have watched but it does not update and shows the last show you watched using the TV app. Sony- get your head out of your *** and update the app!!!!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I wonder if this TV has already received its final firmware update
Old 11-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by viiv View Post
Not a chance..
Old 11-17-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
In classic Sony style, the monthly firmware updates have stopped. They are focusing on enhancing and fixing the current line and may give us another update at some point, but in my opinion it would be based on fixing something. I don't expect this TV to get any new functionality at this point in it's life cycle.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I have come to the conclusion that the Amazon app on the X900 is a POS.
It's actually better than the one on the Amazon Fire TV, which is the worst AIV app I've used yet.

Quote:
In classic Sony style, the monthly firmware updates have stopped. They are focusing on enhancing and fixing the current line and may give us another update at some point, but in my opinion it would be based on fixing something. I don't expect this TV to get any new functionality at this point in it's life cycle.
I would just like to see support added for the Sony wireless subwoofer. Such a bummer that our series don't support. it. I want to save the audio out for a bluetooth transmitter (for use with bluetooth headphones).
luism2008 likes this.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I don't get where this 'it's just a 1080p set' nonsense is coming from, because the A series can and will accept 3840x2160 and 4096x2160 4K inputs over HDMI.

Higher 4K frame rates at 50/60fps will be limited to current 8-bit 4:2:0 bit depth and colour sampling, but 4K at 24/25/30fps should be fine all the way up to 12-bit 4:2:2.

The 55" A series uses the T550QVD02.0 panel linked to in this post: Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread
RiED27880 and wk1947 like this.

Last edited by Geoff D; 11-17-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The HDMI 2.0 firmware upgrade gave a lot of people hope for other 'upgrades', admittedly, but all they've done is enable the 1.4 silicon to use certain 2.0 features that are within the capabilities of the bandwidth & clock speed of that chip. Nothing else inside the TV can be upgraded like that because it's simply not designed to be. That means no wireless sub support, no Playstation Now, no 4K USB playback and definitely no 4K streaming.
Ah, so the 900A needs additional hardware to support the wireless subwoofer? That sucks and of course would never happen. If it's just a software update that's needed I'll still keep hoping for it, although that would likely not happen either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzftw View Post
Just returned the 55 inch model and picked up the 65 inch that was on clearance at my local store at a great price.
Just blown away by the 3d (saw avengers 3d last night). Very detailed and immersive. PQ with all other sources is fantastic, even w/o any 4k content available.

I saw the comments few posts earlier about the HDMI 2.0 spec for the x900a being 4k/60hz at 4:4:0 color sampling (basically reduced color sampling to get 4k/60hz at HDMI 1.4 bandwidth).

I'm assuming this wont really affect the PQ quality too much for 4k blu-rays, 4k streaming devices (next apple tv, etc) and if/when 4k TV broadcasts become available? More specifically, we would still be able to get 4k just with reduced color quality?
I saw Brave on the 900A this weekend for my first 3D experience on this TV and I loved it. Definitely nicer than the active 3D on my PT-AE8000U projector, and easier on the eyes.

I read an article online that stated that video quality should not really be affected by the 4:2:0/8-bit color but that PC/gaming would be, but couldn't find it again.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Higher frame rates at 50/60fps will be limited to current 8-bit 4:2:0 bit depth and colour sampling, but 4K at 24/25/30fps should be fine all the way up to 12-bit 4:2:2.
Thanks, I was wondering about that, although it won't support 4:4:4 sampling? Apparently 4:2:2 is a 50% reduction in color reproduction compared with 4:4:4, while 4:2:0 results in a 75% reduction

Quote:
Color Sampling SystemData Rates of Digital VideoNotes

4:4:4 (RGB)3G-SDI connection (3 Gb/s uncompressed for HD) at 30 fps; File data rate of 330 Mb/s for Apple ProRes 4444 fileFull color sampling. Luma and chroma are sampled at the same rate, resulting in full RGB. 4:4:4 has no color compression. Apple ProRes 4444 is a 4:4:4 color sampling codec, supported on the PIX 240i and PIX 260i recorders.

4:2:2HD-SDI (1.5 Gb/s) for 30 fps; File data rate of 220 Mb/s for Apple ProRes 422HQ file50% reduction in color information versus 4:4:4, sub-sampling chroma by two. Recorded, compressed ProRes files result in an overall data rate reduction of 33% versus full RGB (4:4:4) encoding. Apple ProRes LT, ProRes, and ProRes HQ are 4:2:2 codecs.

4:1:1HD-SDI used for interconnection; File data rates range from 1 Mb/s to 100 Mb/s depending on codec75% reduction in color encoding versus RGB color. The color encoding topology used in DV video.

4:2:0HD-SDI used for interconnection; File data rates range from 1 Mb/s to 100 Mb/s depending on codec75% reduction in color encoding versus RGB color. The color encoding system used in many MPEG codecs.
http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/pi...olor-sampling/

Last edited by impetigo; 11-17-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Ah, so the 900A needs additional hardware to support the wireless subwoofer? That sucks and of course would never happen. If it's just a software update that's needed I'll still keep hoping for it, although that would likely not happen either.
When you say 'additional hardware' you make it sound like there's the possibility for some sort of add-on, but there isn't. The A series cannot support the Sony wireless sub (not EVER) because the audio crossover circuitry is 'sealed', for want of a better word; it can't split off the low-end and squirt it out as a separate signal like the 2014 sets can do (either through the audio output or the USB dongle). This is not a software issue so it can't be rectified thru firmware.

Last edited by Geoff D; 11-17-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
it can't split off the low-end and squirt it out
Isn't this also considered "Pinching It Off"... . Either way, pretty damn funny..
wk1947 likes this.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When you say 'additional hardware' you make it sound like there's the possibility for some sort of add-on, but there isn't. The A series cannot support the Sony wireless sub (not EVER) because the audio crossover circuitry is 'sealed', for want of a better word; it can't split off the low-end and squirt it out as a separate signal like the 2014 sets can do (either through the audio output or the USB dongle). This is not a software issue so it can't be rectified thru firmware.
Disappointing but good to know a definitive answer, thanks.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
Your source?

Amva is 8 bit, Acer and Ben q use it.
There are no 10 bit panels.
You'd be wrong.

I have the data sheet from AUO for the raw LCD panel. It is sold to Sony without a backlight system. Just the LCD cell, TCON boards and some hardware. Sony supplies the backlight technology, which is blue LED and quantum dot (aka, Color IQ) downconverter from QD Vision.

I'm not sure what is in the 55X900A.

nuke
Old 11-18-2014, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
It's funny that you posted that just 2 days ago and today Sony pushed a new firmware to my 65X900A, PKG4.491AAA. No patch notes yet, as usual.

SONY IS WATCHING YOU

Quote:
Thanks, I was wondering about that, although it won't support 4:4:4 sampling? Apparently 4:2:2 is a 50% reduction in color reproduction compared with 4:4:4, while 4:2:0 results in a 75% reduction

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/pi...olor-sampling/
Essentially, 4K with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling yields luma resolution of 4K but chroma resolution of 1080p. It's actually not nearly as horrible as it sounds, the Windows desktop looks just fine to me even when I stand a few inches away from my 65X900A and look at the fine pixel structure of the image. PC gaming at 4K/60 looks great as well, the sheer effective pixel density when sitting at my normal viewing distance completely negates the lower chroma resolution, this is how the super-high density PenTile Super AMOLED displays on recent Samsung phones get around there being 1/3 less subpixels than RGB stripe displays, who the hell even cares when you're at 400+ ppi?

Last edited by Faceless Rebel; 11-18-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post
Essentially, 4K with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling yields luma resolution of 4K but chroma resolution of 1080p. It's actually not nearly as horrible as it sounds, the Windows desktop looks just fine to me even when I stand a few inches away from my 65X900A and look at the fine pixel structure of the image. PC gaming at 4K/60 looks great as well, the sheer effective pixel density when sitting at my normal viewing distance completely negates the lower chroma resolution, this is how the super-high density PenTile Super AMOLED displays on recent Samsung phones get around there being 1/3 less subpixels than RGB stripe displays, who the hell even cares when you're at 400+ ppi?
Yep. And before people start going "1080p colour for 4K?? What a GYP!!!" they've got to bear in mind that the exact same downrezzing of colour occurs with Blu-ray. The luma is encoded at full 1080p resolution but the colour component is only encoded at 540p, which is then upscaled to full 1080p by your player (if using 4:4:4 output) or display device (which converts to full fat RGB for signal processing anyway). So, even with a 4:2:0 2160p signal we're still getting 4x the chroma resolution (in terms of pixels) of regular 1080p Blu-ray.

As for gaming and fast moving stuff in general (like TV sports) I'm far more excited about the increase in temporal resolution (50/60fps) than chroma resolution. High frame rates make a far bigger difference to fast moving content than better colour ever could IMO.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I doubt much consumer content will be delivered in anything more significant than 4:2:0 anyway. I doubt any consumer-level programming is going to be delivered in anything but highly compressed MPEG for a very long time.

As far as disappointment goes - the 900A series will do 4k on all 4 HDMI inputs, and complies with HDCP 2.2 on HDMI input 4. So it is future-ready, as much as anything in the 2014 is ever going to be.

If you haven't got the input 4 mod done on an early production X900A, you should do it soon. Mine was late production, so it had the new input board already.

Whatever 4k content you get in the future, from whoever's player, it will almost certainly require HDCP 2.2.
wk1947 likes this.

nuke
Old 11-19-2014, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed on all counts, I can't see them looking beyond 4:2:0 until we get to UHD Phase 2. Even if broadcast 4K comes in at 10-bit 50/60p as recommended by the DVB, it'll be compressed much heavier (even with AVC or HEVC) than any disc-based content would be so the benefit of the extra gradation will get pissed away in the broadcast stream anyway.
wk1947 likes this.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

I'm just waiting for 4k blu-ray which isn't due for another year or so.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does the 900A do a true 5:5 pulldown to display 24p input, since its native refresh rate is 120hz?
Old 11-20-2014, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does the 900A do a true 5:5 pulldown to display 24p input, since its native refresh rate is 120hz?
Of course, 120hz TVs have had that for 6-7 years now I think.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
What's truly remarkable is that barely two days after you posted this, Sony pushed a firmware update for the X9 series!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I have come to the conclusion that the Amazon app on the X900 is a POS. It appears to be an outdated app that cannot even tell the last episode that you watched on a different device. Example: I watch a couple episodes of a TV show on my ROKO 3- maybe next time I decide to use TV app and not only is the UI the old app with different colors (blue) that shows you what episodes that you have watched but it does not update and shows the last show you watched using the TV app. Sony- get your head out of your *** and update the app!!!!
I agree, the Amazon app on the tv is garbage. I use the on on my ps4 and that one is updated. Every other app streamed directly into my 900A looks and works fantastic though.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artjohn View Post
What's truly remarkable is that barely two days after you posted this, Sony pushed a firmware update for the X9 series!
Yes - but the update was not really any new functionality, which was my point. Seems like all security and bug fixes to me.

This software update (version PKG4.491AAA) provides the following benefits:
  • Improves video and audio playback performance
  • Enables Transport Layer Security 1.0 (TLS1.0) to enhance security of Internet applications
  • Improves reliability to the Secure Sockets Layer 3.0 (SSL3.0)
Old 11-20-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Well it's about time they fixed the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL3.0)! They were driving me nuts.
Mdjones9137 likes this.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba Louey View Post
Well it's about time they fixed the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL3.0)! They were driving me nuts.
Now you can sleep at night knowing your sockets are secure.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Yes - but the update was not really any new functionality, which was my point. Seems like all security and bug fixes to me.

This software update (version PKG4.491AAA) provides the following benefits:
  • Improves video and audio playback performance
  • Enables Transport Layer Security 1.0 (TLS1.0) to enhance security of Internet applications
  • Improves reliability to the Secure Sockets Layer 3.0 (SSL3.0)
And here I was hoping it would fix my stupid issue with buffering problems while streaming Amazon instant video that annoys the hell out of me.

I have a rock-solid, 50MB connection and I can't even use Amazon without it constantly buffering.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:13 PM

*update*

I decided to jump ship on my 65900A because of the whole lack of 4K streaming content without having the need to spend another $700 on extra hardware. Thankfully I was able to find a buyer for my Sony and I bought a Samsung UN65HU8550 instead. Talk about a night and day difference. Plus having the ability to stream some 4K content from Netflix is better than none at all while using the Sony.

The Samsung also seems to 4K upscale much better than the Sony did. I'm happy.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:13 PM

*update*

I decided to jump ship on my 65X900A because of the whole lack of 4K streaming content without having the need to spend another $700 on extra hardware. Thankfully I was able to find a buyer for my Sony and I bought a Samsung UN65HU8550 instead. Talk about a night and day difference. Plus having the ability to stream some 4K content from Netflix is better than none at all while using the Sony.

The Samsung also seems to 4K upscale much better than the Sony did. I'm happy.

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv