Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 421 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12601 of 12617 Old 12-13-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Faceless Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The 55X900A is half resolution 3D like a 1080p TV, it's 540 to each eye
Faceless Rebel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12602 of 12617 Old 12-13-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wblynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mission Viejo, California
Posts: 1,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
One thing we like about the X900A is its passive 3D. However, the 55' X900A has a different 3D than the 65" X900A, which is really the set you want. By different, the 55" presents two 720P images to each eye, while the 65" presents a full 1080P image to each eye.

However, recall that the B series has the ability to stream 4K from sources like Netflix, while the A series needs an external player (another $700) to stream 4K.
Neither my wife nor I care about 3d and won't use it but the 4k streaming is something we would use (well, maybe...). I guess the 900a does have nice speakers.

I just didn't know if the 900a had a different panel or vastly superior video processing. Since the original price is so much more than the 850b, I wondered what you got for the difference.

Thanks everyone
wblynch is online now  
post #12603 of 12617 Old 12-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Senior Member
 
RiED27880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 143
As someone here stated earlier, guardians of the galaxy has got to be one of the very best 3D blurays out in the market. The,X900A continues to amaze me in how spectacular the passive 3D is. Has there been any other news about 4k bluray? All I've heard is a few reviewers stating its likely coming next year. Tryed 4k streamed on my old X1 but Bluray is my favorite format. Since the price on the X10 is not dropping, I might as well pass. Can't wait to actually see my set at its full potential with 4k bluray
wk1947 and Mdjones9137 like this.
RiED27880 is offline  
post #12604 of 12617 Old 12-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
As someone here stated earlier, guardians of the galaxy has got to be one of the very best 3D blurays out in the market. The,X900A continues to amaze me in how spectacular the passive 3D is. Has there been any other news about 4k bluray? All I've heard is a few reviewers stating its likely coming next year. Tryed 4k streamed on my old X1 but Bluray is my favorite format. Since the price on the X10 is not dropping, I might as well pass. Can't wait to actually see my set at its full potential with 4k bluray
The X10 is not following the X1 pricing. I have one but know it will be obsolete for me once i get a 4k bluray player.
CES in january should have more info on 4K Bluray and timing.
Based on predictions so far we should be buying our players and 4k discs next year at this time.
RiED27880 likes this.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #12605 of 12617 Old 12-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
Has there been any other news about 4k bluray?
Should be available -- hopefully -- by holiday season next year.

Quote:
4K Blu-ray is officially on the way. According to Victor Matsuda, Chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association Global Promotions Committee, the BDA expects the specs for 4K Blu-ray to be finalized in the first half of 2015, paving the way for commercial availability by the end of the year. This means we can expect to see actual 4K Blu-ray movies and players available in stores by Christmas next year.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14923
RiED27880 likes this.
impetigo is online now  
post #12606 of 12617 Old 12-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
Neither my wife nor I care about 3d and won't use it but the 4k streaming is something we would use (well, maybe...). I guess the 900a does have nice speakers.

I just didn't know if the 900a had a different panel or vastly superior video processing. Since the original price is so much more than the 850b, I wondered what you got for the difference.

Thanks everyone
With tech/gadgets, you can't always assume that you get more for a higher MSRP. The 900A probably cost more due to it being the 1st gen 4k LCDs for Sony and having the nice, integrated speakers. The X850B looks nice, at least if you're planning to wall mount it (I think the B series stands don't look nice at all).
impetigo is online now  
post #12607 of 12617 Old 12-16-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wblynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mission Viejo, California
Posts: 1,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well I found out today that evidently the X900A used quantum dots and that's supposed to be better. From what I read, the X900A had the best LCD picture ever!

So that's something.

I decided to cheap out and bought a kdl55w700b for now. It's good enough without 3d and things seem to be changing rapidly so 3 years from now I can move up to even better tech.

Thanks.
wblynch is online now  
post #12608 of 12617 Old 12-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Great idea. I do the same, albeit with a 1080p PT AE8000U and a 55X900A (although I wish I had the 65" but don't have space beneath my fireplace). Someday, though, I will get a 4k projector to complete my HT forever (or at least for 5 years or until I die, whichever comes first, unfortunately).

That projector looks great -- I want one too now! It apparently is limited to 4:2:0 color sampling (and presumably 8-bit?) like our 900As, although as with our TVs, that may not be a significant issue. What's the MSRP going to be when it launches? I may need to shop my AE8000U to make way for the Sony 4k projector if it's under $5k (seems doubtful).
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
With tech/gadgets, you can't always assume that you get more for a higher MSRP. The 900A probably cost more due to it being the 1st gen 4k LCDs for Sony and having the nice, integrated speakers. The X850B looks nice, at least if you're planning to wall mount it (I think the B series stands don't look nice at all).
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
Well I found out today that evidently the X900A used quantum dots and that's supposed to be better. From what I read, the X900A had the best LCD picture ever!

So that's something.

I decided to cheap out and bought a kdl55w700b for now. It's good enough without 3d and things seem to be changing rapidly so 3 years from now I can move up to even better tech.

Thanks.

The 900b uses quantom dot not the 900A, I have the 65x900a its say trimulus and some other stuff, nothing about quantom dot
ultraflexed is offline  
post #12609 of 12617 Old 12-17-2014, 04:32 AM
Member
 
adamwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
The 900b uses quantom dot not the 900A, I have the 65x900a its say trimulus and some other stuff, nothing about quantom dot
This statement is incorrect. The 2013 900a series used quantum dot, the 2014 900b series does not.

Three of Sony's 2013 TVs will use quantum dots in their backlighting, in the guise of QD Vision's Color IQ tech (the 65X900, 55X900 , and 55W900). http://www.cnet.com/news/what-are-qu...-your-next-tv/

Sony also touts the Triluminos color on this and its other 4K TVs. Unlike last year's Triluminos Sonys, however, the 2014 version of this feature no longer uses the Quantum Dot technology supplied by QD Vision, Inc. Sony says it now has an in-house version that uses the same branding, but beyond the marketing line of "more colors to produce a more-vibrant picture," Sony wouldn't tell us how the "new" Triluminos technology differs from standard white LED display tech
http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbr-55x900b/

Adam
RiED27880 and wk1947 like this.
adamwe is online now  
post #12610 of 12617 Old 12-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Another 4k step forward

Comcast has released 4K Streaming on Samsung TVs with plans in 2015 for all 4K TVs. Also a mention of Direct TV plans for 2015 too.

http://4k.com/news/comcast-releases-...scribers-4736/

Last edited by Mdjones9137; Yesterday at 12:38 AM.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #12611 of 12617 Old 12-20-2014, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dawgdaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Huntington Woods MI
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
Comcast has released 4K Streaming on Samsung TVs with plans in 2015 for all 4K TVs. Also a mention of Direct TV plans for 2015 too.

http://4k.com/news/comcast-releases-...scribers-4736/

Page not found
Dawgdaes is offline  
post #12612 of 12617 Old Yesterday, 12:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post
Page not found
Try original post link now
Mdjones9137 is offline  
post #12613 of 12617 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
Senior Member
 
William Chiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Questions on Wireless phones and 4K players for XBR-65X900A

Has anyone found any current bluetooth headphones that work with XBR-65X900A? NFC or otherwise.
I have used the Sony MDR-HW700 over he last three months. They are wonderful with great 3D effects but require an external box.

Also, anyone know of an alternative to the X10 box for playing 4K video contents on USB or hard drives?

Thanks and happy holidays.
William Chiu is online now  
post #12614 of 12617 Old Today, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chiu View Post
Has anyone found any current bluetooth headphones that work with XBR-65X900A? NFC or otherwise.
I have used the Sony MDR-HW700 over he last three months. They are wonderful with great 3D effects but require an external box.

Also, anyone know of an alternative to the X10 box for playing 4K video contents on USB or hard drives?

Thanks and happy holidays.
Sadly, the X900A does not support bluetooth headsets. I think it only uses bluetooth for mouses. You'll have to use a bluetooth transmitter (hooked up to the headphone jack on the TV), and ideally with AptX (high quality streaming audio codec) with low latency to prevent any lip sync issues.

I would try this one (I'm planning to get the same):

http://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Wirel...th+transmitter

IIRC, the 900A does not support 4k via USB IIRC, so your best bet is the X10 for Netflix (and Amazon in the future likely) 4k streaming, 4k blu-ray (coming in 2015) or 4k from a computer.

Last edited by impetigo; Today at 10:16 AM.
impetigo is online now  
post #12615 of 12617 Old Today, 10:18 AM
Senior Member
 
William Chiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Thanks! just ordered that device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Sadly, the X900A does not support bluetooth headsets. I think it only uses bluetooth for mouses. You'll have to use a bluetooth transmitter (hooked up to the headphone jack on the TV), and ideally with AptX (high quality streaming audio codec) with low latency to prevent any lip sync issues.

I would try this one (I'm planning to get the same):

http://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Wirel...th+transmitter

IIRC, the 900A does not support 4k via USB IIRC, so your best bet is the X10 for Netflix (and Amazon in the future likely) 4k streaming, 4k blu-ray (coming in 2015) or 4k from a computer.
William Chiu is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off