Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
BrianMundt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Thanks for the response. What is interesting is that I thought I had read in this very thread people discussing if their Oppo did a better job at up converting than what the Sony does. In order for this to even happen, there had to be a way to turn off the up conversion on the TV itself unless these folks were not sure what they were doing?

I have a high end PC that I currently have connected to my Denon receiver. While I know I cannot get 2160p/60fps, I can do 2160p/30p since the TV will take that input. But the reason I go through the receiver is to also carry the audio signal and get 7.1 audio via the PC. With the Sony 4k, would my denon be able to send the 2160p/30fps signal?

Think about it like this... If the TV didn't upconvert the signal, you'd only be using 1/4th of the pixels on the screen. The actual picture itself would appear as a small box surrounded by inactive pixels. Just to display an image that takes up the entire screen, upconversion needs to happen. The post processing is what people are talking about, and whether the TV or Oppo do that post-processing better.
BrianMundt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Member
 
Eric Navarro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I remember seeing a couple posts back about whether the $200 rebate was still going on or if its just a bundle now...

Found the link for the rebate so its still going on.

https://sonystyle.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/5/98

here it is just in case you need it
Eric Navarro is offline  
post #1263 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Member
 
everyman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

Please do me a favor regarding a problem with internet applicatons on 4K television.

I am not able to load the full slate of apps (only 12 of the basic ones load.)

Sony had me go to www.2wire.com to check the speed and it came back at only 2.7 Mbps. They said that was too slow to get all applications. I've had no problem for the last 3 months, now they won't load.

Other speed tests were showing 20 - 25 Mbps.

Would you please let me know what numbers you're getting from that 2wire.com site?

Thank you.

Lee, if you go to home. Then to applications. The first one says Sony Entertainment Network. Click on that....and voila....all the applications are there. It says....at the top left All Applications.

I also called into Sony and they explained that 2wire is for streaming. the other faster speeds are for browsing. He said if you get from 2.5 to 2.7 you are fine on 2wire. And that u can use all applications, which u will see.

And the firmware that screwed up the connected device way to get to 4K is a known issue. The engineers are working on it. No one knows why that firmware did that. But he said there will be an update.
One guy said in a week. One guy said in a month.

I hope this helps. Rich
everyman2 is offline  
post #1264 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyman2 View Post

Lee, if you go to home. Then to applications. The first one says Sony Entertainment Network. Click on that....and voila....all the applications are there. It says....at the top left All Applications.

I also called into Sony and they explained that 2wire is for streaming. the other faster speeds are for browsing. He said if you get from 2.5 to 2.7 you are fine on 2wire. And that u can use all applications, which u will see.

And the firmware that screwed up the connected device way to get to 4K is a known issue. The engineers are working on it. No one knows why that firmware did that. But he said there will be an update.
One guy said in a week. One guy said in a month.

I hope this helps. Rich

Thanks, Rich.

I had tried getting the full slate of apps with that "all app" icon, but it still failed to load anything but the basic 12. I spoke with Sony L7 around noon, and miraculously the apps were back by 4 PM.

I was told the same thing about 2wire specs, but one Sony 4K (first entry) person said that 2.8 was unsatisfactory, then the L7 said that speed is fine.... what me worry? wink.gif

As a quick question, if I go to Crackle on my Bluray, it shows 26Mbps. Is that a streaming readout and is it accurate? I know the 4K television does not provide any type of speed indication while viewing apps.

As for the 3.711AAA update, I am under the impression the change (negating) of X1 start-up at connected devices #4 was intentional. Seems Sony's feeling was: (follow me here) If you were on X1, then go to Netflix, then end Netflix, it restarts the X1 unnecessarily because that was the "connected device" previously engaged. Their feeling, (like I believe Sammy said) was to remove it from connected device at input 4, stops the instances of restarting the player just to exit out of it again. I don't subscribe to that process, but understand how they came to think it needed to be changed. I'm not sure it is getting changed back, but I would like it back.

Thanks again for the complete thorough posting you did.
LeeSoFl is online now  
post #1265 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Well, I finally decided to take the dive.

I first want to thank all of those that have replied to my numerous questions as best you could. I know that gaming is not a big deal with the majority of the owners of this set, but me and my fiancée like to game. We don't play a lot, but when we do we want the best IQ that we can get...so that is why I was asking so many questions about gaming on this set.

My 65" is ordered and will be delivered this Saturday. I should be getting the Media Player on Friday, I just hope that my set is one that already has the HDMI 4 fix on it. I would assume that it should...I just really hope it does as I would be a bit bummed if I receive a set at the end of August and it still has the old HDMI 4 on it.

One thing is for sure, I will be the resident gamer in this thread and will provide any feedback anyone needs in regards to this set and gaming. I plan to have my Computer, Xbox 360, PS4 & Xbox One all hooked up to this set (when the PS4/Xbox One comes out of course). We also have Comcast X1 Cable Box and Sony's BDP-S790 Blu Ray Player. Joining in on the fun is my Denon 7.1 Receiver. My computer is the one thing I am most anticipating to check out. It is a rig I built myself with 2 Nvidia GTX Titan's, Intel 3930x CPU, 16gb of Ram, 2x512gb SSD's, 1 TB HDD, 3 TB HDD and Blu Ray drive. The CPU and GPU's are on a custom water loop as well. So basically it can easily handle a 4k signal, albeit at 30fps because of the HDMI limitations, but there are a lot of games that play completely fine at 30fps..yes, I prefer 60fps but will switch to 1080p for those games that I prefer at 60fps such as racing games and fps games. Platform games, adventure games, MMO's would be fine at 30fps. Just curious what that resolution will look like!!! smile.gifsmile.gif Pushing that resolution at 60fps would be a tall order as well, but when they do provide the HDMI 2.0, I guess I could add a 3rd Titan to my rig! smile.gif

Anyways, thanks again to all the feedback. I am sure I will have some more questions as the delivery get's closer. For example, for 4k, what is the best HDMI cable to get that have high speed but also are not outrageous in price?

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is offline  
post #1266 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Hawkmoon,

Good luck to you with your TV.
LeeSoFl is online now  
post #1267 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Member
 
everyman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

Thanks, Rich.

I had tried getting the full slate of apps with that "all app" icon, but it still failed to load anything but the basic 12. I spoke with Sony L7 around noon, and miraculously the apps were back by 4 PM.

I was told the same thing about 2wire specs, but one Sony 4K (first entry) person said that 2.8 was unsatisfactory, then the L7 said that speed is fine.... what me worry? wink.gif

As a quick question, if I go to Crackle on my Bluray, it shows 26Mbps. Is that a streaming readout and is it accurate? I know the 4K television does not provide any type of speed indication while viewing apps.

As for the 3.711AAA update, I am under the impression the change (negating) of X1 start-up at connected devices #4 was intentional. Seems Sony's feeling was: (follow me here) If you were on X1, then go to Netflix, then end Netflix, it restarts the X1 unnecessarily because that was the "connected device" previously engaged. Their feeling, (like I believe Sammy said) was to remove it from connected device at input 4, stops the instances of restarting the player just to exit out of it again. I don't subscribe to that process, but understand how they came to think it needed to be changed. I'm not sure it is getting changed back, but I would like it back.

Thanks again for the complete thorough posting you did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post



I was told the same thing about 2wire specs, but one Sony 4K (first entry) person said that 2.8 was unsatisfactory, then the L7 said that speed is fine.... what me worry? wink.gif

As a quick question, if I go to Crackle on my Bluray, it shows 26Mbps. Is that a streaming readout and is it accurate? I know the 4K television does not provide any type of speed indication while viewing apps.



Level 7 told that to me too. 2.5 to 2.7 is fine. I believe him over first tier.

i also agree about sony's decision to change the way the connected device acts now.

i went to Crackle and I got 25.1Mbps. I do not have that answer. i would think that was the streaming readout. but i am not sure. since 2.5Mbps is the lowest that is safe. 25 and 26Mbps seems very good. but i truly do not know. what else could it be?

here is another thing i talked to Level 7 about. i told him that although the 10 movies were beautiful they were not any different than watching a blu ray. i said that i was shocked that sony was rolling out 4K and that was the presentation. very lame. he said they are aware of that and correcting that. he said it had to do with the remastering. i said the shorts and stuff were phenomenal. u tube too. but those movie were a big let down for me. he agreed. but but gave me a lot of hope around the corner. for what it is worth. who knows.

you are very welcome Lee. anytime. Rich
everyman2 is offline  
post #1268 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 190
"Many video websites will determine the quality of the video streamed to your device based on their estimation of your internet speed."

Maybe that is where the higher (20-30Mpbs) result comes from.
LeeSoFl is online now  
post #1269 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Senior Member
 
BrianMundt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Well, I finally decided to take the dive.

I first want to thank all of those that have replied to my numerous questions as best you could. I know that gaming is not a big deal with the majority of the owners of this set, but me and my fiancée like to game. We don't play a lot, but when we do we want the best IQ that we can get...so that is why I was asking so many questions about gaming on this set.

My 65" is ordered and will be delivered this Saturday. I should be getting the Media Player on Friday, I just hope that my set is one that already has the HDMI 4 fix on it. I would assume that it should...I just really hope it does as I would be a bit bummed if I receive a set at the end of August and it still has the old HDMI 4 on it.

One thing is for sure, I will be the resident gamer in this thread and will provide any feedback anyone needs in regards to this set and gaming. I plan to have my Computer, Xbox 360, PS4 & Xbox One all hooked up to this set (when the PS4/Xbox One comes out of course). We also have Comcast X1 Cable Box and Sony's BDP-S790 Blu Ray Player. Joining in on the fun is my Denon 7.1 Receiver. My computer is the one thing I am most anticipating to check out. It is a rig I built myself with 2 Nvidia GTX Titan's, Intel 3930x CPU, 16gb of Ram, 2x512gb SSD's, 1 TB HDD, 3 TB HDD and Blu Ray drive. The CPU and GPU's are on a custom water loop as well. So basically it can easily handle a 4k signal, albeit at 30fps because of the HDMI limitations, but there are a lot of games that play completely fine at 30fps..yes, I prefer 60fps but will switch to 1080p for those games that I prefer at 60fps such as racing games and fps games. Platform games, adventure games, MMO's would be fine at 30fps. Just curious what that resolution will look like!!! smile.gifsmile.gif Pushing that resolution at 60fps would be a tall order as well, but when they do provide the HDMI 2.0, I guess I could add a 3rd Titan to my rig! smile.gif

Anyways, thanks again to all the feedback. I am sure I will have some more questions as the delivery get's closer. For example, for 4k, what is the best HDMI cable to get that have high speed but also are not outrageous in price?

Glad to see another gamer in this thread. My TV is being delivered tomorrow, so I'm sure we'll be able to compare notes and settings. I do a lot of competitive gaming in the area, so gaming performance is pretty important to me as well.

As for HDMI cables, go Monoprice. There's no reason to spend crazy money on cables nowadays.
BrianMundt is offline  
post #1270 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Member
 
kbrod1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Interesting, I have TWC fastest Internet offering whereas I get 50 Mbps dn and 5 Mbps up. When I use the 3wire site they say my speed is 1.8 Mbps. This is the fastest I can get in my area I wonder then if it will be good enough for 4K streaming.
kbrod1 is offline  
post #1271 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post


As for HDMI cables, go Monoprice. There's no reason to spend crazy money on cables nowadays.

These AR (read Audiovox) cables got terrific write-ups and AR will replace them free of charge:

"PRO3 HDMI cables exceed the high existing HDMI standards to give you the best performance possible from today's advanced home entertainment technology. In fact, PRO3 HDMI cables are ready for the next generation of HDMI as well. And with our Future Connectivity Guarantee, you'll be at the cutting edge of performance for life. So if your future HDMI capable devices surpass the performance of our PRO3 HDMI cable, then we'll upgrade your cable for free!"

hhgregg has the 6' Pro 3 on sale for $20 regularly $100 to $120



http://www.acoustic-research.com/cables-connectivity/pro3series/

sturdy connector and braided nylon jacket
LeeSoFl is online now  
post #1272 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Well, I finally decided to take the dive.

I first want to thank all of those that have replied to my numerous questions as best you could. I know that gaming is not a big deal with the majority of the owners of this set, but me and my fiancée like to game. We don't play a lot, but when we do we want the best IQ that we can get...so that is why I was asking so many questions about gaming on this set.

My 65" is ordered and will be delivered this Saturday. I should be getting the Media Player on Friday, I just hope that my set is one that already has the HDMI 4 fix on it. I would assume that it should...I just really hope it does as I would be a bit bummed if I receive a set at the end of August and it still has the old HDMI 4 on it.

One thing is for sure, I will be the resident gamer in this thread and will provide any feedback anyone needs in regards to this set and gaming. I plan to have my Computer, Xbox 360, PS4 & Xbox One all hooked up to this set (when the PS4/Xbox One comes out of course). We also have Comcast X1 Cable Box and Sony's BDP-S790 Blu Ray Player. Joining in on the fun is my Denon 7.1 Receiver. My computer is the one thing I am most anticipating to check out. It is a rig I built myself with 2 Nvidia GTX Titan's, Intel 3930x CPU, 16gb of Ram, 2x512gb SSD's, 1 TB HDD, 3 TB HDD and Blu Ray drive. The CPU and GPU's are on a custom water loop as well. So basically it can easily handle a 4k signal, albeit at 30fps because of the HDMI limitations, but there are a lot of games that play completely fine at 30fps..yes, I prefer 60fps but will switch to 1080p for those games that I prefer at 60fps such as racing games and fps games. Platform games, adventure games, MMO's would be fine at 30fps. Just curious what that resolution will look like!!! smile.gifsmile.gif Pushing that resolution at 60fps would be a tall order as well, but when they do provide the HDMI 2.0, I guess I could add a 3rd Titan to my rig! smile.gif

Anyways, thanks again to all the feedback. I am sure I will have some more questions as the delivery get's closer. For example, for 4k, what is the best HDMI cable to get that have high speed but also are not outrageous in price?

Go to Monoprice and get RedMere High Performance. Those will do you well.
dreaux is offline  
post #1273 of 11822 Old 08-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Senior Member
 
BrianMundt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post

Interesting, I have TWC fastest Internet offering whereas I get 50 Mbps dn and 5 Mbps up. When I use the 3wire site they say my speed is 1.8 Mbps. This is the fastest I can get in my area I wonder then if it will be good enough for 4K streaming.

Don't go off of 2wire. There's something seriously wrong with the results. Like someone else said, there's a decimal point problem.

Speedtest.net is much better.

And if you've got 50 Mbps down, you'll be able to stream 4K with absolutely no issues whatsoever. That's already higher than 99% connection speeds in the country. In my area, I'm paying through the nose for TWC Wideband (50 down, 5 up) and there's not even another service provider that comes close. They wouldn't alienate a good chunk of the public with unrealistic down speed requirements. From what I've seen and heard, 4K compression will be much more aggressive than 1080p content. In fact, 4K streaming should only require 10-20% more bandwidth than HD currently requires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Go to Monoprice and get RedMere High Performance. Those will do you well.

I'm running a 50' Redmere and couldn't be happier.
BrianMundt is offline  
post #1274 of 11822 Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Well, I finally decided to take the dive.

I first want to thank all of those that have replied to my numerous questions as best you could. I know that gaming is not a big deal with the majority of the owners of this set, but me and my fiancée like to game. We don't play a lot, but when we do we want the best IQ that we can get...so that is why I was asking so many questions about gaming on this set.

My 65" is ordered and will be delivered this Saturday. I should be getting the Media Player on Friday, I just hope that my set is one that already has the HDMI 4 fix on it. I would assume that it should...I just really hope it does as I would be a bit bummed if I receive a set at the end of August and it still has the old HDMI 4 on it.

One thing is for sure, I will be the resident gamer in this thread and will provide any feedback anyone needs in regards to this set and gaming. I plan to have my Computer, Xbox 360, PS4 & Xbox One all hooked up to this set (when the PS4/Xbox One comes out of course). We also have Comcast X1 Cable Box and Sony's BDP-S790 Blu Ray Player. Joining in on the fun is my Denon 7.1 Receiver. My computer is the one thing I am most anticipating to check out. It is a rig I built myself with 2 Nvidia GTX Titan's, Intel 3930x CPU, 16gb of Ram, 2x512gb SSD's, 1 TB HDD, 3 TB HDD and Blu Ray drive. The CPU and GPU's are on a custom water loop as well. So basically it can easily handle a 4k signal, albeit at 30fps because of the HDMI limitations, but there are a lot of games that play completely fine at 30fps..yes, I prefer 60fps but will switch to 1080p for those games that I prefer at 60fps such as racing games and fps games. Platform games, adventure games, MMO's would be fine at 30fps. Just curious what that resolution will look like!!! smile.gifsmile.gif Pushing that resolution at 60fps would be a tall order as well, but when they do provide the HDMI 2.0, I guess I could add a 3rd Titan to my rig! smile.gif

Anyways, thanks again to all the feedback. I am sure I will have some more questions as the delivery get's closer. For example, for 4k, what is the best HDMI cable to get that have high speed but also are not outrageous in price?

Congrats on ur TV. My question is off topic. How are you liking the Comcast X1? I ask because I'm thinking of switching to Fios. A friend of mines has Fios and all of his movie channels are in HD and his Internet seems faster. Does X1 give you more HD channels? Such as each and every HBO instead of the 1 I get for HBD, Cinemax, and Showtime? Thanks in advance and congrats again on the tv.
Gillietalls is offline  
post #1275 of 11822 Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Member
 
trab37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

Congrats on ur TV. My question is off topic. How are you liking the Comcast X1? I ask because I'm thinking of switching to Fios. A friend of mines has Fios and all of his movie channels are in HD and his Internet seems faster. Does X1 give you more HD channels? Such as each and every HBO instead of the 1 I get for HBD, Cinemax, and Showtime? Thanks in advance and congrats again on the tv.

Looking at the X1 lineup on their website, it looks like you do get more than just 1 channel per HBO, Cinemax and Showtime but still not as many as I get with Fios. Fios is pretty sweet, the content is really good and it blows away any other cable provider, plus amazing internet speeds. I've seen a lot of cable providers in my time doing AV/home automation and they all pale in comparison as far as quality and content. The current Fios boxes could be better, but I've heard they are coming out with a new system similar to the DirecTV Genie. I get a 75/35 internet speed from them now and they are starting to rollout 150/65 packages and up to 500 next year I believe. Bring on the 4K streaming!
trab37 is online now  
post #1276 of 11822 Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,947
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post

Interesting, I have TWC fastest Internet offering whereas I get 50 Mbps dn and 5 Mbps up. When I use the 3wire site they say my speed is 1.8 Mbps. This is the fastest I can get in my area I wonder then if it will be good enough for 4K streaming.

Keep in mind, the X1 does not "stream" 4K. It downloads it, then plays it back.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #1277 of 11822 Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by trab37 View Post

Looking at the X1 lineup on their website, it looks like you do get more than just 1 channel per HBO, Cinemax and Showtime but still not as many as I get with Fios. Fios is pretty sweet, the content is really good and it blows away any other cable provider, plus amazing internet speeds. I've seen a lot of cable providers in my time doing AV/home automation and they all pale in comparison as far as quality and content. The current Fios boxes could be better, but I've heard they are coming out with a new system similar to the DirecTV Genie. I get a 75/35 internet speed from them now and they are starting to rollout 150/65 packages and up to 500 next year I believe. Bring on the 4K streaming!

Sweet. Thanks for the reply. I think ima pull the trigger and switch to Fios. I want the best out of my F9000. But may be switching it to for Panasonics 4K TV. One ad says it'll be THX 4K certified and probably be passive 3D. I can't wait to see.
Gillietalls is offline  
post #1278 of 11822 Old 08-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Member
 
trab37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

Sweet. Thanks for the reply. I think ima pull the trigger and switch to Fios. I want the best out of my F9000. But may be switching it to for Panasonics 4K TV. One ad says it'll be THX 4K certified and probably be passive 3D. I can't wait to see.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L65WT600

It states THX certified and HDMI 2.0, I'm interested to see the price and the TV when it becomes available. I'm hoping for full ISF calibration as well. I don't think my wife would mind too much if I bought one and moved the Sony into the bedroom... biggrin.gif
trab37 is online now  
post #1279 of 11822 Old 08-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Member
 
trab37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Keep in mind, the X1 does not "stream" 4K. It downloads it, then plays it back.

That's how I thought it worked, but isn't it supposed to allow you to watch the movie while it downloads in the background?
trab37 is online now  
post #1280 of 11822 Old 08-29-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,947
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by trab37 View Post

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L65WT600

It states THX certified and HDMI 2.0, I'm interested to see the price and the TV when it becomes available. I'm hoping for full ISF calibration as well. I don't think my wife would mind too much if I bought one and moved the Sony into the bedroom... biggrin.gif

Why would she care, if she was moving out?!?wink.gif

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #1281 of 11822 Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Member
 
trab37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Why would she care, if she was moving out?!?wink.gif

Might happen if I brought home two expensive TVs in the same year, she could take her old Vizio/Olevia with her.
trab37 is online now  
post #1282 of 11822 Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,947
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by trab37 View Post

Might happen if I brought home two expensive TVs in the same year, she could take her old Vizio/Olevia with her.

Sounds like a win-win!

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #1283 of 11822 Old 08-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

Congrats on ur TV. My question is off topic. How are you liking the Comcast X1? I ask because I'm thinking of switching to Fios. A friend of mines has Fios and all of his movie channels are in HD and his Internet seems faster. Does X1 give you more HD channels? Such as each and every HBO instead of the 1 I get for HBD, Cinemax, and Showtime? Thanks in advance and congrats again on the tv.

I like the X1 from Comcast. I don't get a lot of paid channels since we don't watch a lot of TV movies, mainly T.V. shows, Blu Ray etc. I don't get many HBO channels on our X1.

I received the Media Player today. Although I did pay for expedited shipping, but did not realize it would be next day. I just wanted to make sure I had it prior to the TV arriving on Saturday. I REALLY, REALLY hope my set is a newer one that has the HDMI 4 fix!!!! Crossing everything I have in hopes that it does.

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is offline  
post #1284 of 11822 Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

Glad to see another gamer in this thread. My TV is being delivered tomorrow, so I'm sure we'll be able to compare notes and settings. I do a lot of competitive gaming in the area, so gaming performance is pretty important to me as well.

As for HDMI cables, go Monoprice. There's no reason to spend crazy money on cables nowadays.

So did you get your set? How is it? Any issues as of yet? Oh...did your set come with the HDMI 4 fix already done?

Sorry for being selfish....I hope you are enjoying your set. smile.gif

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is offline  
post #1285 of 11822 Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Go to Monoprice and get RedMere High Performance. Those will do you well.
You would be suprised how good the cheap caples are. Hogher priced cables are not worth the cash.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #1286 of 11822 Old 08-30-2013, 12:47 AM
Senior Member
 
BrianMundt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

So did you get your set? How is it? Any issues as of yet? Oh...did your set come with the HDMI 4 fix already done?

Sorry for being selfish....I hope you are enjoying your set. smile.gif

I'm slightly disappointed. My display isn't very uniform, which I know is par for the course on LEDs, but considering all the positive feedback in this thread, I expected it to be better. Maybe my expectations were unreasonably high?

There's a fairly noticeable blotch (about 8 inches wide) on the left hand side of the panel, which is a little annoying and distracting. It can be seen with local dimming and all brightness settings.

But for gaming, this set is awesome. I haven't noticed much lag at all, and a slight bit of Reality Creation goes a long way to sharpening the picture.
BrianMundt is offline  
post #1287 of 11822 Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

I'm slightly disappointed. My display isn't very uniform, which I know is par for the course on LEDs, but considering all the positive feedback in this thread, I expected it to be better. Maybe my expectations were unreasonably high?

There's a fairly noticeable blotch (about 8 inches wide) on the left hand side of the panel, which is a little annoying and distracting. It can be seen with local dimming and all brightness settings.

The only mar I get is slight flash-lighting near the upper left edge. If you're getting any type of color or linearity irregularities, I would call for in home service.
LeeSoFl is online now  
post #1288 of 11822 Old 08-30-2013, 01:41 AM
Senior Member
 
BrianMundt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 45
What do you guys think?
BrianMundt is offline  
post #1289 of 11822 Old 08-30-2013, 03:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

I'm slightly disappointed. My display isn't very uniform, which I know is par for the course on LEDs, but considering all the positive feedback in this thread, I expected it to be better. Maybe my expectations were unreasonably high?

There's a fairly noticeable blotch (about 8 inches wide) on the left hand side of the panel, which is a little annoying and distracting. It can be seen with local dimming and all brightness settings.

But for gaming, this set is awesome. I haven't noticed much lag at all, and a slight bit of Reality Creation goes a long way to sharpening the picture.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about the screen issues you are having. Are those issues noticeable when watching content, playing games etc?

Oh and did you set have the HDMI 4 fix or is it an older set without the fix? When was your panel made (month)?

Hopefully your set only shows those issues on a black screen with no content. If it is something that appears even when you are watching a movie or something I would exchange it.

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is offline  
post #1290 of 11822 Old 08-30-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,009
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post


Hopefully your set only shows those issues on a black screen with no content. If it is something that appears even when you are watching a movie or something I would exchange it.

It's kind of difficult to see with the photo that Brian posted. However, when there is a black screen with no content, I would expect just that--an absolutely ink-black screen without a hint of light. My HX909 is remarkably black. The WSR reviewer measured zero light output on screens that should be black.

Brian, are you saying you are not achieving 100% black?
AustinJerry is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off