Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 430 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2015, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
As I understand it the serial numbers are duplicated across each territory, so it's useless going on the UK site to check an Aussie model. I did the same thing with the US 4K activation site when I got my TV and it said it was okay when I knew it wasn't (later proved when the UK site told me I *did* need the upgrade). My set also had a July 2013 date of manufacture.

We know that the "HDMI 4 on its own" method of identification isn't foolproof for US sets because a few repurposed sets with the new board made it into the wild, but I reckon it's pretty accurate for non-US sets. CS, if your HDMI 4 is all on its lonesome then it's highly likely you're gonna need the HDCP 2.2 upgrade.

Unfortunately Sony are taking a "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" attitude towards the HDCP refit, i.e. if they haven't released a 4K player in any particular territory then they will not pursue the upgrade program until such time as they absolutely have to, lest one of their own 4K products doesn't work with their own 4K TV's.

Regarding the 4K content generator, I'm familiar with it (I used to work at a Sony Centre) and it does NOT require HDCP 2.2 for playback because that's the whole point: it's a demo box, nothing more.

Interestingly on the US site mine gets invalid serial number. So at the end of the day only time will tell if it has it incorporated or not, but I am inclined have a little faith in the UK site. Why? because I believe the UK models come out may come out of Malaysia and possibly Japan. But its a damn shame if it isn't and I will still remain pissed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
Interestingly on the US site mine gets invalid serial number. So at the end of the day only time will tell if it has it incorporated or not, but I am inclined have a little faith in the UK site. Why? because I believe the UK models come out may come out of Malaysia and possibly Japan. But its a damn shame if it isn't and I will still remain pissed.
Geoff is right - where is HDMI 4 located on your TV ?
I am in the US and my TV is Jul 13 made in Mexico.
I have a plastic slug over the cutout for where the old HDMI4 would have been placed and my 1, 3 and 4 are together.
I have the fmp-x10 and did not need the board replaced and the US site confirmed that as well.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Samsas - What is the model number of your TV? Is it X9004A? and the manufacture date? I am trying to determine if the manufacture date has anything to do with which TVs got the HDCP 2.2 upgrade or not as in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post
Sony replaced my new x900a with a recertified one.
My TV is the Asian Model KD-65X9004A
It was one of the first delivered, 2nd week of July 2013, I don't have the manufacture date

Thanks
Old 02-15-2015, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Sony don't assemble their Euro sets outside of Europe because the import taxes cost too much. They have facilities in Spain and Slovakia, i can't remember which one produced my set but it definitely wasn't Malaysia or Japan.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:15 AM

Well there goes that theory out the window. Samsa's model and mine are the same except his is 65 inch. South East Asian/Oceania are X9004A and are going out of Malaysia. So we are pretty much screwed then until Sony decides to do something about it. Will I guess will have to resign to fact that we or should I say I got conned by Sony that promised the I had nothing to worry about. Story of my life I guess. To gullible.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
I have a plastic slug over the cutout for where the old HDMI4 would have been placed and my 1, 3 and 4 are together.
I have the fmp-x10 and did not need the board replaced and the US site confirmed that as well.
Unfortunately its the poor lonely old HDMI 4 socket on its on.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well there goes that theory out the window. Samsa's model and mine are the same except his is 65 inch. South East Asian/Oceania are X9004A and are going out of Malaysia. So we are pretty much screwed then until Sony decides to do something about it. Will I guess will have to resign to fact that we or should I say I got conned by Sony that promised the I had nothing to worry about. Story of my life I guess. To gullible.
Don't take it personally, the S in Sony stands for screwed.

I was assured by Sony before i bought my x900a that it would stream Netflix 4K when it was released. Ugh...
When Sony releases a UHD Bluray player it will need the 4 upgrade as well. That may happen where you are before the media player is released. On the bright side at least Sony will pay for the board upgrade.

I can see running out of HDCP2.2 connections on the TV unless the new UHD players will support daisy chaining the devices.

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 02-15-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalazy View Post
My x900a with a horizontal black line near the center of the tv was exchanged today. I called Sony yesterday to see what model I would be getting and if it was going to be brand new or refurbished, they said it would be a new x900a. Of course they came with a factory reconditioned x900a. This one was made in Dec 2013 in Mexico vs the original in Japan. The 3D on my old tv was giving me issues with double images and the 3D randomly turning on. Sony's suggestion was to disable auto on. The 3D so far seems improved over my original. Much more clouding on this tv versus the last, but at least there are no visible lines on the tv. My question is for those who have gotten exchanges, were you given new tv's or factory reconditioned? Thanks!
Question when they arrived did your refurbished set come with the original brown sony box or was it just the tv set in blank box since it was refurbished? Or anyone that has gotten the refurbished one? How has the refurbished been so far? I do have the line you speak of across my screen in my 65 inch and i'm going to see if they can replace it with the 900b passive instead but i doubt they'll do that. But i'll let them know because i bought this brand new and for me i should get a brand new and not a refurbished. Sony should at least make about 500 new ones to put on the side in case any of these things happen to other people that buy it brand new and then they can be assured they'll get brand new. For a multi million dollar company they can't even do that to loyal sony customers.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv074 View Post
Question when they arrived did your refurbished set come with the original brown sony box or was it just the tv set in blank box since it was refurbished? Or anyone that has gotten the refurbished one? How has the refurbished been so far? I do have the line you speak of across my screen in my 65 inch and i'm going to see if they can replace it with the 900b passive instead but i doubt they'll do that. But i'll let them know because i bought this brand new and for me i should get a brand new and not a refurbished. Sony should at least make about 500 new ones to put on the side in case any of these things happen to other people that buy it brand new and then they can be assured they'll get brand new. For a multi million dollar company they can't even do that to loyal sony customers.
Mine was in a generic Sony box. It wasn't like the original box. I didn't keep the box as my old tv was put inside. My replacement is much better as the only annoyance I have now is some major clouding. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out what I was going to be getting. I called the night before the delivery specifically to find out what model I was going to be getting and if it was a new one. I was told the x900a and it would be new. Replies here all say you will be given a refurbished unit. You can try to see if they will give you a refurbished 900b but remember the 3D on that set is active and not passive. I too kind of feel we should be getting new ones instead of refurbished, I paid $7K for a new tv and now am left with the thought that I ended up paying $7K for a refurbished tv. I guess I need to accept that the tv works, the 3D is amazing and I am still a proud owner of a 4K tv.

Last edited by thalazy; 02-15-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalazy View Post
Mine was in a generic Sony box. It wasn't like the original box. I didn't keep the box as my old tv was put inside. My replacement is much better as the only annoyance I have no is some major clouding. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out what I was going to be getting. I called the night before the delivery specifically to find out what model I was going to be getting and if it was a new one. I was told the x900a and it would be new. Replies here all say you will be given a refurbished unit. You can try to see if they will give you a refurbished 900b but remember the 3D on that set is active and not passive. I too kind of feel we should be getting new ones instead of refurbished, I paid $7K for a new tv and now am left with the though that I ended up paying $7K for a refurbished tv. I guess I need to accept that the tv works, the 3D is amazing and I am still a proud owner of a 4K tv.
Actually there's a passive 900b and it's the 78.6 inch it's the only one and still brand new but when they call tomorrow i will discuss them about that because the sales associate at the sony store told me i was gonna get a brand new 900 series if there's a defect on the tv and if they discontinue this model then i would get the next model which would be passive 3d brand new. I will go to the store and discuss this issue because that is what i was told and the 900b only has one which is passive and i'll try to see if i can get it. Thank you for your answer.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv074 View Post
Actually there's a passive 900b and it's the 78.6 inch it's the only one and still brand new but when they call tomorrow i will discuss them about that because the sales associate at the sony store told me i was gonna get a brand new 900 series if there's a defect on the tv and if they discontinue this model then i would get the next model which would be passive 3d brand new. I will go to the store and discuss this issue because that is what i was told and the 900b only has one which is passive and i'll try to see if i can get it. Thank you for your answer.
Where did you buy your 900a and did you get the extended warranty through them ?
Old 02-15-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Don't take it personally, the S in Sony stands for screwed.

I was assured by Sony before i bought my x900a that it would stream Netflix 4K when it was released. Ugh...
When Sony releases a UHD Bluray player it will need the 4 upgrade as well. That may happen where you are before the media player is released. On the bright side at least Sony will pay for the board upgrade.

I can see running out of HDCP2.2 connections on the TV unless the new UHD players will support daisy chaining the devices.
One connection would be fine if the user is routing every HDMI thru an HDCP 2.2 capable receiver/amplifier, which is what I do with all my current HDMI gear anyway - although without the HDCP 2.2 part as I don't need to upgrade my amp just yet! Still, even when UHD BD does come along it'll have split A/V HDMI outputs just like higher end 3D players, so I probably won't need to upgrade my amp. (And my B series TV has two HDCP 2.2 enabled inputs, so if/when I get a 4K satellite/streaming box it can go straight into the second one.)
Old 02-15-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Where did you buy your 900a and did you get the extended warranty through them ?
I bought mines at the sony store here in glendale california, i got a 4 year warranty, and got this on april 21st of last year so i'll see what they can do. I'll tell them about my situation but they might think i'm lying just to get a brand new tv, but anyways doubt that will happen as, i'm sure they want to fix the line across the screen first. So we'll see what happens monday.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:48 PM

OK I got a call from Sony in Sydney that they will consult the engineering department and find a solution to my problem and monitor what my options are. Personally I would be happy if they just replace the HDMI 4 part with a compliant HDCP 2.2 HDMI port or give me the B model instead. Although I like the A models look and the 3d passive truthfully. So I am not to sure what will come of it but I do hope a solution can be reached. So I have been given a case manager who will be in contact over this and it will be on going until a solution is reached.

PS- Does anyone know the part number of the updated port?? Geoff D??
Old 02-16-2015, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

No, sorry mate, I did have it but I can't remember it now, if you search in this thread you should find something.

BUT it's not just a case of fitting the new part, as specific internal firmware also needs to be uploaded to enable the board.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Interesting,

I have the HDMI 4 port on the side, away from ports 1 & 3, on my XBR-65900A. I've connected a FMP-1X and it plays 4K content. I've also ran the serial numbers through the US Sony web site and it says my TV is good to go, TV was purchased in the US - Best Buy open box.

The Sony FMP-1X player came with another XBR-65900A I purchased which had HDMI ports 1,2,4 all together.

So, I guess I'm wondering if my TVs are truly HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant, or do they just work with the Sony FMP-1X?

Thanks for any inputs.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Future View Post
Interesting,

I have the HDMI 4 port on the side, away from ports 1 & 3, on my XBR-65900A. I've connected a FMP-1X and it plays 4K content. I've also ran the serial numbers through the US Sony web site and it says my TV is good to go, TV was purchased in the US - Best Buy open box.

The Sony FMP-1X player came with another XBR-65900A I purchased which had HDMI ports 1,2,4 all together.

So, I guess I'm wondering if my TVs are truly HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant, or do they just work with the Sony FMP-1X?

Thanks for any inputs.
The board for HDCP 2.2 has to be inside the television for either FMP-X1 or X10 to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d63516ef_006.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	548969  

Last edited by LeeSoFl; 02-16-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
The board for HDCP 2.2 has to be inside the television for either FMP-X1 or X10 to work.
On the back of my TV on the HDMI 4 port there is this QR/Scan code which I decided to scan and mine comes up with the numbers 445757701. I wonder if there is any significance to the number. I was hoping it will display or give me any info so that I can compare something on that invoice of the picture of the replacement board (AKA Part number).

Geoff D- I am surprised there is no Sony engineer who looks through this forum that can give us some insight on the process of getting the replacement part and whats actually involved in uploading or activating the firmware for it to work. Surely it cant be secret. I would be tempted to even do it myself or pay somebody to do it.

Last edited by CSPerera; 02-16-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Future View Post
Interesting,

Thanks for any inputs.
Your HDMI4 is HDCP 2.2 compliant. The player would not work otherwise. There were a few solutions that Sony used to upgrade. You have the upgraded 4 by itself. All 4 of the HDMIs are 2.0 compliant.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So, I was looking to possibly pick up an x900a and after doing some research landed in this thread. On sinus site it says the unit supports HDMI 2.0 with a "free upgrade". Is this the firmware update people are talking about? After reading the forums I assume that Netflix streaming is turning in to a pipe dream at this point as we'll?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock2k1 View Post
So, I was looking to possibly pick up an x900a and after doing some research landed in this thread. On sinus site it says the unit supports HDMI 2.0 with a "free upgrade". Is this the firmware update people are talking about? After reading the forums I assume that Netflix streaming is turning in to a pipe dream at this point as we'll?
There have been a lot of firmware updates since the TV was released.
Averaged one a month the first year or so - now every couple of months. One of them was to hdmi 2.0. The TV has Nerflix and Amazon but can not stream 4K content. I am surprised there are still untis available since it is 2 model years ago.
Old Yesterday, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
On the back of my TV on the HDMI 4 port there is this QR/Scan code which I decided to scan and mine comes up with the numbers 445757701. I wonder if there is any significance to the number. I was hoping it will display or give me any info so that I can compare something on that invoice of the picture of the replacement board (AKA Part number).

Geoff D- I am surprised there is no Sony engineer who looks through this forum that can give us some insight on the process of getting the replacement part and whats actually involved in uploading or activating the firmware for it to work. Surely it cant be secret. I would be tempted to even do it myself or pay somebody to do it.
CS, the part number for the board is A1952947A (it's called a "Cx2 mount"), from LeeSoFl's post #702 . I told you if you do a search in this thread you should find it, but I've done it for you anyway.

If I bang that part number into a search engine there are plenty of Euro/US stockists, there's even a seller on amazon.de. I dunno what the stock situation will be like down under. BUT you'll still need the firmware upload to enable it, which AFAIK would only be made available to Sony-approved repair techs.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
CS, the part number for the board is A1952947A (it's called a "Cx2 mount"), from LeeSoFl's post #702 . I told you if you do a search in this thread you should find it, but I've done it for you anyway.

If I bang that part number into a search engine there are plenty of Euro/US stockists, there's even a seller on amazon.de. I dunno what the stock situation will be like down under. BUT you'll still need the firmware upload to enable it, which AFAIK would only be made available to Sony-approved repair techs.
Thanks I saved LeeSoFi's photo. Since I have the part number I can at least pass on to Sony Australia what the updated part number is but my guess is they must already know that, and just playing a hard.

Update: Just fired off the email to them stating the updated part number. Lets hope and see what they come back with. Again thanks LeeSoFi and Geoff D for your assistance on this matter. It will be a wait and see approach to what will now eventuate from this debacle.

Last edited by CSPerera; Yesterday at 12:53 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks I saved LeeSoFi's photo. Since I have the part number I can at least pass on to Sony Australia what the updated part number is but my guess is they must already know that, and just playing a hard.

Update: Just fired off the email to them stating the updated part number. Lets hope and see what they come back with. Again thanks LeeSoFi and Geoff D for your assistance on this matter. It will be a wait and see approach to what will now eventuate from this debacle.
Dude, you'd be surprised how fine the line is between 'playing hard' and 'not having a goddamned clue' within the compartmentalised corporate machine.

When the 4K Activation site went live in the UK and said to phone Sony to get the board upgrade arranged, the CSR's I spoke to had no idea whatsoever that there was a HDCP issue, let alone an actual upgrade program. After 20 minutes of back and forth I had to give them the URL of the 4K activation webpage (for them to look at) before they'd believe me!

So don't be too hard on the CSR's, as in all probability they've got much less info on the issue than you have!
CSPerera and wk1947 like this.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM

Ok So received a email stating that Sony Australia are fully aware of the issue and a reviewing the best way to tackle the issue here in Australia. So it is some good news that we are not left out just yet. Some form or another I hope that we get this issue sorted before 4k bluray players are made available.
Old Today, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since the 900a was the first 4k TV with quantum dot technology , does it mean it might be capable of handling HDR when available??

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv