Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 432 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #12931 of 12949 Old 03-17-2015, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UltraFlix???

At CES this past January, the UltraFlix guys said to my face that the Sony deal was done and that we would have the app on our sets by February. Is anyone out there with an A model successfully using UltraFlix??? (Yes I realize without H.265 I can't watch in it's full glory)

Low Volume Audio Issues anyone...?

Maybe I'm losing my mind but my gf and I swear that the overall volume of our set has diminished. I can distinctly remember listening at volume levels between 20-30 and it was loud. Now I find myself turning it up to 50 plus just to hear the on screen dialogue. Have any of the guys not using A/V Receivers noticed the same???

For reference I have the 65X900A built in May of 2014...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12932 of 12949 Old 03-17-2015, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
Look at the end of the day Sony are punishing legitimate consumers without providing a universal solution to this problem and for consumers who just want to go down to there local shop and buy a 4k movie when it becomes available. HDCP 2.2 will eventually get cracked with either a stripping device or via some form of software. Inevitably causing (Sony consumers) to look at piracy as a measure to get 4k content. Its sad really and I guess it will require a little patience on our behalf. So Samsa your in the right part of the world if you know what I mean.

I for one cant afford to get rid of my TV and am stuck with Sony for that matter. One thing that needs to happen is to confirm 100 percent that I need the part and currently unable to test it unless again I purchase that media player and no I don't want to give anymore more money into the hands of Sony.
For me the main issue is to get the 4k stream to display on my 900A. The Media Player won't handshake, it says the HDMI port won't match, so it's a HDCP 2.2 copyright issue that's for sure. I'll try to get the shop it bought the 900A from to let me try to hook my Media Player to a 900B and a 2nd generation Samsung and see if they handshake. The issue of streaming 4k then is easily solved by VPN etc.

I have an Android 4k Media player also. This is called the VELO 4k. The Netflix stream is really very good but it won't display the 4k stream option. I was told the reason is that Netflix does not support Android at 4k resolution. I can't confirm anywhere if that is correct. Another theory is that the HDCP 2.2 is necessary at the TV's HDMI port which seems more likely. I'd love to be able to try out the Amazon 4k feed to test this theory, but they don't seem to support Android with an easy to install App for a Media Player so it's back to square one again. The Wifi transfer rate is over 40 MPS each way, enough to satisfy any 4k stream.

The display using the PS4 1080P stream for the big 3 streaming providers is also very good on the 900A and the up-scaling leaves nothing to be desired. So why am I not enjoying my TV and saving the inevitable cash outlay for a Samsung like someone mentioned earlier? My wife says I'm nuts (probably true) but like all early adopters I'm bitten by a bug that must have it and there's no antidote. It happened with just about every Pioneer up to the last Kuro which lasted forever because they went belly up, and history is rewriting itself with these new 4k sets. Bring on 8K, I'm waiting.
CSPerera and Sandro Natale like this.
post #12933 of 12949 Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsas View Post
For me the main issue is to get the 4k stream to display on my 900A. The Media Player won't handshake, it says the HDMI port won't match, so it's a HDCP 2.2 copyright issue that's for sure. I'll try to get the shop it bought the 900A from to let me try to hook my Media Player to a 900B and a 2nd generation Samsung and see if they handshake. The issue of streaming 4k then is easily solved by VPN etc.

I have an Android 4k Media player also. This is called the VELO 4k. The Netflix stream is really very good but it won't display the 4k stream option. I was told the reason is that Netflix does not support Android at 4k resolution. I can't confirm anywhere if that is correct. Another theory is that the HDCP 2.2 is necessary at the TV's HDMI port which seems more likely. I'd love to be able to try out the Amazon 4k feed to test this theory, but they don't seem to support Android with an easy to install App for a Media Player so it's back to square one again. The Wifi transfer rate is over 40 MPS each way, enough to satisfy any 4k stream.

The display using the PS4 1080P stream for the big 3 streaming providers is also very good on the 900A and the up-scaling leaves nothing to be desired. So why am I not enjoying my TV and saving the inevitable cash outlay for a Samsung like someone mentioned earlier? My wife says I'm nuts (probably true) but like all early adopters I'm bitten by a bug that must have it and there's no antidote. It happened with just about every Pioneer up to the last Kuro which lasted forever because they went belly up, and history is rewriting itself with these new 4k sets. Bring on 8K, I'm waiting.
Are you using HDMI 4 on the TV for your media player ?
That is the only HMDI connection that works with HDCP2.2 devices on the x900A.
post #12934 of 12949 Old 03-18-2015, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
I believe he has tried that but the issue here is that the TV does not have the HDCP 2.2 HDMI upgrade. Remember it has not been made available for everyone outside of the US and UK and he is in Singapore. Lets hope anyway lol.....
post #12935 of 12949 Old 03-18-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Yes I am. But I was wondering and maybe someone might know. The Sony Media Player is a no go on the Asian 900A because it requires HDCP 2.2 which Sony won't upgrade at this point in time. With the Sony MP you get 4k movies (at a price) and Netflix 4k streaming and later Amazon Prime 4k. The current Netflix 4k stream is output in H.265 codec. Is it protected by HDCP 2.2? If it is then unless Sony upgrades my set I have to buy one with HDCP 2.2. Logically Netflix 4k shouldn't be coded to HDCP 2.2 protection as I understand that the 900B can receive the Netflix 4k stream as an App and wirelessly? and does not connect through the HDMI / HDCP 2.2 port. So if I'm right why doesn't my Veolo Android 4k MP stream Netflix as 4k. The tech says it does and It supports H.265. But I'm not clear if Netflix supports 4k streaming to an Android device? Does anyone know? (How is the 900C going to fare it's Android right?) My 900A reports a 4k signal, but I'm not sure if the MP is up-scaling. The only way to know for sure is to see the 4k option on the Netflix screen as a choice. This does not appear on my set and yes I do have the 4 user subscription which supports 4k streaming. The network speed test reports 40 MBS+.
post #12936 of 12949 Old 03-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes I am. But I was wondering and maybe someone might know. The Sony Media Player is a no go on the Asian 900A because it requires HDCP 2.2 which Sony won't upgrade at this point in time. With the Sony MP you get 4k movies (at a price) and Netflix 4k streaming and later Amazon Prime 4k. The current Netflix 4k stream is output in H.265 codec. Is it protected by HDCP 2.2? If it is then unless Sony upgrades my set I have to buy one with HDCP 2.2. Logically Netflix 4k shouldn't be coded to HDCP 2.2 protection as I understand that the 900B can receive the Netflix 4k stream as an App and wirelessly? and does not connect through the HDMI / HDCP 2.2 port. So if I'm right why doesn't my Veolo Android 4k MP stream Netflix as 4k. The tech says it does and It supports H.265. But I'm not clear if Netflix supports 4k streaming to an Android device? Does anyone know? (How is the 900C going to fare it's Android right?) My 900A reports a 4k signal, but I'm not sure if the MP is up-scaling. The only way to know for sure is to see the 4k option on the Netflix screen as a choice. This does not appear on my set and yes I do have the 4 user subscription which supports 4k streaming. The network speed test reports 40 MBS+.
So when you hit the display button on the TV while watching your media player what does it say - that is the resolution being fed to the TV since everything is upscaled (if needed) to 4K on the TV.

The Netflix app on my Sony 4k media player is a different app than on my 900a TV. When on my media player and in Netflix there is a category just like popular and top picks for (my usernam) and it is called UltrraHD 4K. This extra category showed up Only after i went to the 4user option. There are a total of 13 tiles - which include the house of cards, breaking bad and marco polo series.
Are you current on your firmware for your player and is there an option to refresh your content?
post #12937 of 12949 Old 03-18-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
So when you hit the display button on the TV while watching your media player what does it say - that is the resolution being fed to the TV since everything is upscaled (if needed) to 4K on the TV.

The Netflix app on my Sony 4k media player is a different app than on my 900a TV. When on my media player and in Netflix there is a category just like popular and top picks for (my usernam) and it is called UltrraHD 4K. This extra category showed up Only after i went to the 4user option. There are a total of 13 tiles - which include the house of cards, breaking bad and marco polo series.
Are you current on your firmware for your player and is there an option to refresh your content?
Thank you. When connected to my Android Media Player the TV reports that the incoming signal is a 4k one 3840x2160. But I don't know if its the Android Media Player doing the up-scaling of its output signal. The Media Player allow me to set the resolution from 720P up to 3840x2160 at 30 fps. So if I set it to 1080 p the TV will report that. At full UHD resolution the Netflix UHD category will not display so I think that it is the Media Player doing the up-scaling. The picture goes from blur to clear in stages over a couple of minutes. My firmware is current on the TV and on the Android Media Player.

BTW its not the right forum, but does the Sony Media Player FMPX10 (which I have) now work with a non Sony UHD TV? Of course with HDCP 2.2. Thanks
post #12938 of 12949 Old 03-19-2015, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you. When connected to my Android Media Player the TV reports that the incoming signal is a 4k one 3840x2160. But I don't know if its the Android Media Player doing the up-scaling of its output signal. The Media Player allow me to set the resolution from 720P up to 3840x2160 at 30 fps. So if I set it to 1080 p the TV will report that. At full UHD resolution the Netflix UHD category will not display so I think that it is the Media Player doing the up-scaling. The picture goes from blur to clear in stages over a couple of minutes. My firmware is current on the TV and on the Android Media Player.

BTW its not the right forum, but does the Sony Media Player FMPX10 (which I have) now work with a non Sony UHD TV? Of course with HDCP 2.2. Thanks
Have you tried to sign out of Netflix on your media player and sign in again? May have to do that on the Netflix website.

Yes the x10 works with non Sony TVs. I am on that forum as well.
post #12939 of 12949 Old 03-20-2015, 01:32 AM

Ok so apparently I have the means to get the required HDCP 2.2 part from overseas and just need to find out if the place provides the firmware to activate and upload it to the tv. If its all confirmed I have a feeling that this will be the only way to get it. At least I can get an idea of whats involved provided that the firmware is provided. I might attempt it myself. Before that my TVs are X9004A's here in Australia and I wonder if the firmware will be ok with it.

Its risky to say the least but what choice have we got?

Update: Just got an email back from the spare parts place. Apparently they don't know if it requires a firmware update or they don't have the means to get it. So out of luck.

Last edited by CSPerera; 03-20-2015 at 02:26 AM.
post #12940 of 12949 Old 03-20-2015, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Surgery was a success here. It was this pair of tech's first go-round.

Remove back, remove original board, insert new board, close tv, update software, plug in X1, update player, play.

Sony part # A 1952947A

More in a bit.
LeeSoFi- do you recall if the firmware update to get the board working was done over the network or a USB?
post #12941 of 12949 Old 03-20-2015, 04:06 AM

Guys only 5 have signed my petition. Your Support is needed. Come on lend us a hand down under. We are a underdog with this conglomerate!

https://www.change.org/p/sony-corpor...a-and-hdcp-2-2
post #12942 of 12949 Old 03-20-2015, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone happen to know the RGB Output Levels for the 65x900a? I've been searching everywhere and can't find the numbers.

Is it 0-255 or 16-235?
post #12943 of 12949 Old 03-20-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 247
CS- Sony in-home used the side USB after the board was installed.... but that was 20 months ago, things might have changed.
post #12944 of 12949 Old 03-20-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
CS- Sony in-home used the side USB after the board was installed.... but that was 20 months ago, things might have changed.
I don't think anything would have changed. So firmware/software of some sort is defiantly needed. Personally I think this forum after over 400 or so posts is becoming a dying scene and has pretty much exhausted out its last breath. Since posting a link of the change.org petition nobody has given a hand to force our Sony counterparts to do something for us Aussies . It may be insignificant for all others outside of Australia but what can I say "cant say I didn't try". I guess the real issue will come forth in the next few months when Neflix is released at the end of the month over here and 4k bluray is released. Anyway thanks guys for over the years for providing the information and I like the many good people who contributed before me, I will take a bow out as well. Its a good TV but in this instance Samsung has proven to be the better company. And on that note-............................Cheers Guys.
post #12945 of 12949 Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Has anyone had luck getting Sony to upgrade the HDMI board on their sets without buying their media player? It would be nice to get Netflix and Amazon 4k streaming when it becomes available but paying $700 for a media player seems nuts to me. I tried getting a service appointment setup through the activation website but during the exchange of emails between myself and the company that was contracted to perform the swap they said without the sony media player they can't/won't do the upgrade. I was under the impression from where I bought the TV that Sony would do the upgrade for you regardless of you owning their media player.
post #12946 of 12949 Old Today, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermeister View Post
Has anyone had luck getting Sony to upgrade the HDMI board on their sets without buying their media player? It would be nice to get Netflix and Amazon 4k streaming when it becomes available but paying $700 for a media player seems nuts to me. I tried getting a service appointment setup through the activation website but during the exchange of emails between myself and the company that was contracted to perform the swap they said without the sony media player they can't/won't do the upgrade. I was under the impression from where I bought the TV that Sony would do the upgrade for you regardless of you owning their media player.
Good or Bad, the rules for the X900A are that you must have the media player in order to get the FREE upgrade (in USA). Having said that the only other way would be to either find someone that can get ahold of the board and install it or buy a board somewhere and install it yourself. You don't mention what country you live in? A way out option is if you knew someone with a X10 and could borrow it for the install and then give it back to them .
Gerry

ps: there is another way of doing it, but personally I think it's unethical, if you think about it....
ppss: everyone on this forum should at the very least have what country they are from in their profile as it would lead to a lot less confusion in posts!

Last edited by ggw2000; Today at 04:04 AM. Reason: More info
post #12947 of 12949 Old Today, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Good or Bad, the rules for the X900A are that you must have the media player in order to get the FREE upgrade (in USA). Having said that the only other way would be to either find someone that can get ahold of the board and install it or buy a board somewhere and install it yourself. You don't mention what country you live in? A way out option is if you knew someone with a X10 and could borrow it for the install and then give it back to them .
Gerry

ps: there is another way of doing it, but personally I think it's unethical, if you think about it....
ppss: everyone on this forum should at the very least have what country they are from in their profile as it would lead to a lot less confusion in posts!

I do live in the USA and unfortunately do not know anyone that has a X10. Has anyone successfully done the board swap on their TV? I'm not opposed to doing it but I would need a a DIY guide or similar. Also there is a firmware update that the techs do at the time they swap the boards isn't there? Is that even possible to get?
post #12948 of 12949 Old Today, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermeister View Post
I do live in the USA and unfortunately do not know anyone that has a X10. Has anyone successfully done the board swap on their TV? I'm not opposed to doing it but I would need a a DIY guide or similar. Also there is a firmware update that the techs do at the time they swap the boards isn't there? Is that even possible to get?
Search for hardware brought up this:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...-8#q=a1952947a

This was done by two Sony guys, but there are 28 screws holding the back side of the housing. The board switch is 1-2-3. The guys were working out of a manual for the swap, but I was the first one they'd done.

I have a feeling the X players might self install once they're on a common network with the television.
post #12949 of 12949 Old Today, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rychen View Post
Hello all, looking at purchasing one of these from Sony as a " Refurbished " unit XBR-65X900A and they offer an extended warranty that I can purchase with it...you guys think they are a good purchase still?
Thank You in advance for your thoughts, comments and input.
( Tired of watching the 25" in front of the dead Vizio 70" )

Bill
I just took delivery on mine and I am quite happy with it so far. No real blemishes that I can see. The only bummer is the 90 day warranty, even though the refurb product page shows the 18 month warranty.

Here's a hint for you in case you don't know:

Go to the Sony Store online. They have the 65" listed at $2279. Add it to your cart. Type in REFURBTVDEALS. Watch the price drop to $1824! It's a heck of a deal compared to what I was finding out there when I was shopping for this TV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page