Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 433 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12961 of 13055 Old 04-06-2015, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
Look hopefully you are right but I am not prepared to perform major surgery at the back of the TV and add in the board for it to reject it and cause another issue that I cant revert back to.
So its imperative that we confirm that a firmware is present or not. The Uk received the media player more recently and nearly all had to have a firmware to make it operative.
There are firmwares posted on the sony support page. YOu can always check there if you feel you need the firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12962 of 13055 Old 04-06-2015, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskers15 View Post
There are firmwares posted on the sony support page. YOu can always check there if you feel you need the firmware.
The Sony Support page has your normal TV firmware that everyone can download. This is a part activation firmware that I believe is only available to sony technicians I believe as everyone who has had port upgraded has had some type of firmware updated to activate it.
post #12963 of 13055 Old 04-06-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskers15 View Post
I believe CS is looking for the FW update required to enable HDCP 2.2 after conducting an HDMI board upgrade. If you look at the FW download page, there is nothing in the description that references HDCP 2.2. So it may be included in the FW, and it may not.

CSPerera likes this.
post #12964 of 13055 Old 04-06-2015, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Rumor of Roku 4 with 4k support this month.
post #12965 of 13055 Old 04-06-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I believe CS is looking for the FW update required to enable HDCP 2.2 after conducting an HDMI board upgrade. If you look at the FW download page, there is nothing in the description that references HDCP 2.2. So it may be included in the FW, and it may not.

I can now confirm that all the HDCP 2.2 (Cx2 mount) part distributors do not ship the part with any firmware to activate it and it may come preprogrammed ??. Having said that if there is anything that needs to be updated or activated this would need to come from Sony only. I am still in the process of investigating it further and hopefully by the end of the week, I would have a better understanding of what needs to be done.

Just a quick update the next apple TV will not have 4k support. Take a quick read of this?? and you will see that they state that the 4k Tv market is a mess. Errrr I wonder why LOL

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/5/834...-apple-tv-2015

Last edited by CSPerera; 04-06-2015 at 07:14 AM.
post #12966 of 13055 Old 04-06-2015, 10:47 PM

Ok guys I have some promising news. I cant say alot just yet but let me just say a compatibility test needs to be done for this part on Australian models and hopefully we will know the results in the next few weeks.

Also on a side note a company called Zigen is bringing out this: I am not sure how this works but maybe its a way to give compliance to a TV without HDCP 2.2 port. ( By the way I hate the Term HDCP 2.2 ohhh!! and it maybe a glimpse at new tech that will give us the opportunity to playback 4k blurays via a switching device.
Zigen HDCP 2.2 Modular Matrix Cards
Zigen has now tested and is ready to release new HDCP 2.2 cards for their innovative line of modular 4K UHD matrix switches (HX-44/88/1616/HDBT). What this means is that now, for the first time integrators can distribute HDCP 2.2 content from devices like the Sony X-10 and other media players, HTPCs, Satellite STB (Genie from DirecTV at this point), and of course – the soon to be released new Blue-Ray players.
The Z-Cards come in HDMI-70M, HDMI-100M, and HDMI-HDMI.

Last edited by CSPerera; 04-06-2015 at 11:29 PM.
post #12967 of 13055 Old 04-07-2015, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Keeps changing to 3D

I use my lovely 55 inch as my pc monitor too and have noticed then when I open hotmail the computer thinks it's 3d and tries to display it as such. Other than not opening hotmail, opening in a smaller window and changing the way hotmail looks does anyone have similar experiences and solutions?

Chris
post #12968 of 13055 Old 04-08-2015, 04:28 AM

Below is a statement from a reviewer on the Amazon website for a review of the Sony FMP X1 media player. For anyone who got the HDCP 2.2 (HDMI 4) upgraded - How true is the below statement??? Can you please confirm this

Update #2 : The issues with this unit continue... After the upgrade necessary to use the Sony 4K Media Player, the HDMI-1 input no longer supports the "Mastered in 4K" option necessary to take full advantage of the new "Mastered in 4K" blu-ray discs. According to the Sony rep that I spoke with, this function is only available through the input HDMI-3 after the upgrade. I confirmed this with my neighbor's set up.

Normally this would not be a big issue, however, with the Sony 4K TV's the ARC (audio return channel) function is only available via the HDMI-1 input. In other words, the upgrade necessary to use the Sony 4K Media Player, for all intents and purposes, makes the ARC function unusable.
post #12969 of 13055 Old 04-08-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsas View Post
Yes I am. But I was wondering and maybe someone might know. The Sony Media Player is a no go on the Asian 900A because it requires HDCP 2.2 which Sony won't upgrade at this point in time. With the Sony MP you get 4k movies (at a price) and Netflix 4k streaming and later Amazon Prime 4k. The current Netflix 4k stream is output in H.265 codec. Is it protected by HDCP 2.2? If it is then unless Sony upgrades my set I have to buy one with HDCP 2.2. Logically Netflix 4k shouldn't be coded to HDCP 2.2 protection as I understand that the 900B can receive the Netflix 4k stream as an App and wirelessly? and does not connect through the HDMI / HDCP 2.2 port. So if I'm right why doesn't my Veolo Android 4k MP stream Netflix as 4k. The tech says it does and It supports H.265. But I'm not clear if Netflix supports 4k streaming to an Android device? Does anyone know? (How is the 900C going to fare it's Android right?) My 900A reports a 4k signal, but I'm not sure if the MP is up-scaling. The only way to know for sure is to see the 4k option on the Netflix screen as a choice. This does not appear on my set and yes I do have the 4 user subscription which supports 4k streaming. The network speed test reports 40 MBS+.
You need the correct copy protection at all stages of playback. Even if your TV had the HDCP 2.2 compatible port, I highly doubt your media streamer has it. You reference the 900B series being able to do it, that's because the internal handshake between the TV's processing and the display itself is detecting HDCP 2.2. The Sony 4K sets - those with and without HDCP 2.2 - actually use some Android software already (the C series is about moving to a fully Android-branded front end) so that's not a barrier to playing it back whatsoever.

The simple fact is, copy-protected 4K content requires HDCP 2.2 in every device in the playback chain.
post #12970 of 13055 Old 04-08-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok guys I have some promising news. I cant say alot just yet but let me just say a compatibility test needs to be done for this part on Australian models and hopefully we will know the results in the next few weeks.

Also on a side note a company called Zigen is bringing out this: I am not sure how this works but maybe its a way to give compliance to a TV without HDCP 2.2 port. ( By the way I hate the Term HDCP 2.2 ohhh!! and it maybe a glimpse at new tech that will give us the opportunity to playback 4k blurays via a switching device.
Zigen HDCP 2.2 Modular Matrix Cards
Zigen has now tested and is ready to release new HDCP 2.2 cards for their innovative line of modular 4K UHD matrix switches (HX-44/88/1616/HDBT). What this means is that now, for the first time integrators can distribute HDCP 2.2 content from devices like the Sony X-10 and other media players, HTPCs, Satellite STB (Genie from DirecTV at this point), and of course – the soon to be released new Blue-Ray players.
The Z-Cards come in HDMI-70M, HDMI-100M, and HDMI-HDMI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kaDtIkbC4w
I could be wrong CS, but that simply looks like a HDCP 2.2 capable HDMI switcher to me. Bear in mind that 2.2-capable internal hardware is still fairly thin on the ground, especially multiple-port HDMI processors (and that's at 10.2 Gb/s, never mind the full-fat 18 Gb/s chips) and HDMI switchers like those above.
post #12971 of 13055 Old 04-10-2015, 08:16 AM

I want to buy this tv and after read a couple os pages, i'm almost decide to buy it but have one question:

The 65" 900A will handle 4K/60Hz in chroma 4:4:4?

I will use it to play on my pc (R9 295X2 with Display Port 1.2 through HDMI conversor, later this year).

Thanks.
post #12972 of 13055 Old 04-10-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoc View Post
I want to buy this tv and after read a couple os pages, i'm almost decide to buy it but have one question:

The 65" 900A will handle 4K/60Hz in chroma 4:4:4?

I will use it to play on my pc (R9 295X2 with Display Port 1.2 through HDMI conversor, later this year).

Thanks.
Well, just saw the answear just above.

It only supports 4:2:0

Well, i will think about it now...
post #12973 of 13055 Old 04-10-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
I can now confirm that all the HDCP 2.2 (Cx2 mount) part distributors do not ship the part with any firmware to activate it and it may come preprogrammed ??. Having said that if there is anything that needs to be updated or activated this would need to come from Sony only. I am still in the process of investigating it further and hopefully by the end of the week, I would have a better understanding of what needs to be done.

Just a quick update the next apple TV will not have 4k support. Take a quick read of this?? and you will see that they state that the 4k Tv market is a mess. Errrr I wonder why LOL

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/5/834...-apple-tv-2015

So Apple is not going to have 4K support in its new generation tv? And that the 4K tv market is a mess? Gee I wonder what gave them that idea?
CSPerera likes this.
post #12974 of 13055 Old 04-10-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Below is a statement from a reviewer on the Amazon website for a review of the Sony FMP X1 media player. For anyone who got the HDCP 2.2 (HDMI 4) upgraded - How true is the below statement??? Can you please confirm this

Update #2 : The issues with this unit continue... After the upgrade necessary to use the Sony 4K Media Player, the HDMI-1 input no longer supports the "Mastered in 4K" option necessary to take full advantage of the new "Mastered in 4K" blu-ray discs. According to the Sony rep that I spoke with, this function is only available through the input HDMI-3 after the upgrade. I confirmed this with my neighbor's set up.

Normally this would not be a big issue, however, with the Sony 4K TV's the ARC (audio return channel) function is only available via the HDMI-1 input. In other words, the upgrade necessary to use the Sony 4K Media Player, for all intents and purposes, makes the ARC function unusable.
Wheres LeeSoFI when you need him the most? Anyone know where he has disappeared too? Anyone do the upgrade and know if the above quoted statement is true??
post #12975 of 13055 Old 04-10-2015, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 1273
Quote:
Wheres LeeSoFI when you need him the most? Anyone know where he has disappeared too? Anyone do the upgrade and know if the above quoted statement is true??
I don't know why this post has you concerned. Who cares about ARC, and who cares about MI4K?
post #12976 of 13055 Old 04-10-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I don't know why this post has you concerned. Who cares about ARC, and who cares about MI4K?
Well the reason is I never watch TV via the TV speakers. It goes through the receiver. It would then mean needing to use another cable to connect the tv to the receiver and I am assuming optical. Regardless do you know if what he is saying it true? Cause when a tech comes out I am aware of the Tvs issues also in regards to the upgrade and limitations.

Last edited by CSPerera; 04-10-2015 at 02:43 PM.
post #12977 of 13055 Old 04-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

I have the HDMI4 upgrade for the media player - my TV was one of the first produced on the assembly line with the board upgraded - i have a slug of plastic where the old port cutout was.
I have my x10 on HDMI4 - only option on the 900A and I still have MI4K as an option set to YES on HDMI1 and have my OPPO 103 on that connection. So I am not sure I believe the post. I do not own any MI4K blurays though. I am about ready to hop on the UHD bluray bandwagon when it arrives. Personally, I don't believe upgrading a signal to 4k to then downgrade it to 1080p to put it on a bluray is a solution to anything. I don't think Sony ever released any new titles after the first batch of those titles.
post #12978 of 13055 Old 04-10-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
I have the HDMI4 upgrade for the media player - my TV was one of the first produced on the assembly line with the board upgraded - i have a slug of plastic where the old port cutout was.
I have my x10 on HDMI4 - only option on the 900A and I still have MI4K as an option set to YES on HDMI1 and have my OPPO 103 on that connection. So I am not sure I believe the post. I do not own any MI4K blurays though. I am about ready to hop on the UHD bluray bandwagon when it arrives. Personally, I don't believe upgrading a signal to 4k to then downgrade it to 1080p to put it on a bluray is a solution to anything. I don't think Sony ever released any new titles after the first batch of those titles.
MDjones, My belief is your X900A is the second version of the TV that was produced and have all the HDMI Ports inline with each other. My guess is that the complete inline HDMI board would probably be identical to the board that is now in the B series hence the reason you have a plug of where the original HDMI 4 would have been. However the amazon poster and myself is referring to the single Hdmi 4 main board that was offered to upgrade the TV that has HDMI 4 port on its own. So I am sure that these issues would not be in relation to your particular Version 2 TV. The only person who had done the upgrade that may offer the real answer to this is LeeSofi who's took photos of the board replacement a few posts earlier or others who have had a HDMI 4 board swap done. Look at the end of the day its not actually a big deal and there are alternative solutions that I can do, however I would like to know if the statement is true or not. So when and If I get the upgrade done, I know what to expect and it is actually good to know the short comings of this upgrade for people who would like to know in other regions of the world who might go the path to do the upgrade themselves. Furthermore I believe this HDCP 2.2 will be circumvented very soon when people realise that shiny new 4k bluray player they just bought won't play any store bought 4k blurays when its released.
post #12979 of 13055 Old 04-11-2015, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
MDjones, My belief is your X900A is the second version of the TV that was produced and have all the HDMI Ports inline with each other. My guess is that the complete inline HDMI board would probably be identical to the board that is now in the B series hence the reason you have a plug of where the original HDMI 4 would have been. However the amazon poster and myself is referring to the single Hdmi 4 main board that was offered to upgrade the TV that has HDMI 4 port on its own. So I am sure that these issues would not be in relation to your particular Version 2 TV. The only person who had done the upgrade that may offer the real answer to this is LeeSofi who's took photos of the board replacement a few posts earlier or others who have had a HDMI 4 board swap done. Look at the end of the day its not actually a big deal and there are alternative solutions that I can do, however I would like to know if the statement is true or not. So when and If I get the upgrade done, I know what to expect and it is actually good to know the short comings of this upgrade for people who would like to know in other regions of the world who might go the path to do the upgrade themselves. Furthermore I believe this HDCP 2.2 will be circumvented very soon when people realise that shiny new 4k bluray player they just bought won't play any store bought 4k blurays when its released.
The B uses HDMI2 not HDMI4 for the x1/10 player for the A series, so the board that is in my A is not identical to the B.
My setup is probably the solution that Sony provides to you when UHD bluray is released where you are since that was put into mass production on the A series here in the US.
post #12980 of 13055 Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
The B uses HDMI2 not HDMI4 for the x1/10 player for the A series, so the board that is in my A is not identical to the B.
My setup is probably the solution that Sony provides to you when UHD bluray is released where you are since that was put into mass production on the A series here in the US.
Ok now thats very interesting indeed. I am not sure if your version of the TV was ever released outside of the United States tho. Since your TV has all the HDMI ports inline, its one whole circuit board and if its not the same board thats in the B series I wonder what part number it is?. Anyway once I get this Hdmi 4 port circuit board sent to me I will be able to forget about this. But let me just say I am a extremely disappointed customer of Sony and over here in Australia the support system set in place is absolutely rubbish. You call the support number and you get some punk in a overseas call centre who know absolutely jack and spend the next hour explaining to him of a on going unresolved issue than spans over a year.
post #12981 of 13055 Old 04-11-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

@CSPerera :

The B series uses a 2.2 enabled Sil9679 chip for HDMI ports 1 *and* 2 (one chip per socket because it's not a multi-port processor, i.e. only one input per chip) and HDMI 3 and 4 share the same Sil9587 as deployed on ports 1, 2 & 3 of the A series. If someone were to break down a revised-build A series it may well reveal what chip Sony are using for port 4, but from the pictures provided of the replacement mount board the new chip doesn't have a model number on it, or no number that I recognise anyway.
post #12982 of 13055 Old 04-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So the $499 Mac mini outputs 4k video. This is not news. Is it possible to watch Netflix 4k via the web, and output it through the HDMI into the Sony 900A? I'd rather spend $499 on the Mac then on the Sony media player.
post #12983 of 13055 Old 04-11-2015, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post
So the $499 Mac mini outputs 4k video. This is not news. Is it possible to watch Netflix 4k via the web, and output it through the HDMI into the Sony 900A? I'd rather spend $499 on the Mac then on the Sony media player.
That will not work. The Mac does not do the new 4k h265.
post #12984 of 13055 Old 04-13-2015, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Maybe an OPPO 105 or 103 might solve an issue. The HDMI in the back will go to the TV and HDMI 2 would go to your receiver. OPPO has a split capability. Video out of an HDMI and Audio out of another.
post #12985 of 13055 Old 04-14-2015, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post
The 900A will only accept a 4K signal using HDCP 2.2 copy protection. That only exists on HDMI 4 and is where the fmp-x10 must be connected. So unless you purchase a 4K media player ( Sony or another brand) that use HDCP 2.2 it won't work.
UHD bluray players will also utilize that copy protection when they are released.
post #12986 of 13055 Old 04-14-2015, 01:44 PM

Ok So here is an update. After going to consumer affairs in regards this HDCP 2.2 issue, I got confirmation that Sony Australia has no intention of rectifying the issue of providing us a upgrade path let alone any help whatsoever. There argument is that the TV was sold without offering this as a feature. Any further action will need to go to VCAT ( A Tribunal) at cost. Its unfortunate for Australian owners of the tv. Having said that a work around is available. Thats to purchase the part at our own expense and get the part installed at our own expense. At the end of the day it has cost me $150.00 Australian dollars to get the part and I maybe another maximum of 200 bucks labor to get it installed, and thats not guaranteeing that the upgrade will be successful.

Let me state that this part is pretty elusive to get. I have found it here ------> http://www.notebookservice-online.de/A1952947A and purchased it and it is on its way out to me. Now that its on its way to me I am in two minds to weather to pursue the upgrade or not. Why? as soon as 4k bluray is released the Chinese will be at it hacking away to circumvent the protection system. In the end the powers of be who decided it was a smart idea to screw over legitimate honest consumers with the HDCP 2.2 issue are going to push them into finding alternative methods legal or illegal. Currently the only thing that is using the protection system is Sony's own 4k media player which I have no plans on purchasing anyway due to the crappy internet in our region of the woods anyway. Tho I wouldn't mind borrowing one to test the connection if I go down the upgrade path ( Its a long shot but any Aussie purchasers of the media player here willing to lend me?) . Anyway this leaves me in a bit of a quagmire. Well at least that elusive damn part is on its way which now gives me a choice in the matter. A choice that has cost me 150 dollars.
post #12987 of 13055 Old 04-14-2015, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Ok So here is an update. After going to consumer affairs in regards this HDCP 2.2 issue, I got confirmation that Sony Australia has no intention of rectifying the issue of providing us a upgrade path let alone any help whatsoever. There argument is that the TV was sold without offering this as a feature. Any further action will need to go to VCAT ( A Tribunal) at cost. Its unfortunate for Australian owners of the tv. Having said that a work around is available. Thats to purchase the part at our own expense and get the part installed at our own expense. At the end of the day it has cost me $150.00 Australian dollars to get the part and I maybe another maximum of 200 bucks labor to get it installed, and thats not guaranteeing that the upgrade will be successful.
Why are you so scared about doing this upgrade? You don't even have to hire labour to do it as long as you are patient and work slowly and you don't try to rush, and accept that it will take up a whole afternoon/evening. Buy some quality precision screwdrivers before attempting this, to avoid stripping or damaging the screws.

I understand that there may be a firmware update of some sort, but without that information, the best we can do is factory reset to try to force the TV to refresh and recognize the new HDMI board. Factory resets are performed by holding down the UP directional button on the remote control while turning off the TV by pressing the power button located on the TV. The TV will reboot, and come up with the initial set up, like the first time you powered on the TV.

I see four possible outcomes, none of them catastrophic:

1. TV will work with full HDCP 2.2 functionality on your new HDMI 4.

2. TV will work, with the new HDMI 4 board functioning but without HDCP 2.2 active. In this case, you can still use your new HDMI 4 port and plug in a regular device into it, but HDCP 2.2 won't be active until you can figure out a way to activate it. But at least you have the new upgraded board in your TV until you can figure out how to activate it.

3. TV will work and boot up, but new HDMI 4 port will not work at all, not even with a regular old HDMI device, but the other 3 HDMI ports will still work.

4. TV will not boot up with the new HDMI board installed. In this case, you simply power down and unplug, and reinstall the old HDMI board back in, factory reset, and everything should function as it did.

Here are the steps to do it:

Step 1: Perform full factory reset on TV (make sure you are already running the latest firmware version, its 4.51 right now. If not, update to the latest version, and factory reset after the update again, after the TV reboots with the initial set up on the screen, turn off the TV and unplug the TV. You want it to be in the fully factory reset state.

Step 2: Power off and unplug TV

Step 3: Some screws on the back are hidden behind small plastic covers. Don't try to remove these with a screwdriver, as you will cause cosmetic damage, use a plastic tool (such as a plastic trim removal tool) to remove them without making any scratches or dents to the rear plastic rear.

Step 3: Make sure you and your partner touch a metal object in your house (not the TV lol!!!) to make sure to get rid of any static shock in your body, and with the help of your wife or girlfriend, unscrew the screws holding the rear plastic cover remove the back cover and be super careful with it, placing it down on some soft carpet or a towel to make sure you don't damage it at all. Don't try to do this yourself because once it comes loose as you unscrew the last screw, the plastic back panel will come crashing to the ground if you don't have someone helping you holding on to it. Take note which screw came from EXACTLY which hole, as they might be slightly different.

Step 4: Make sure that you do not have any static shock in you first, and just unplug the electrical connector that the HDMI 4 board is plugged into.

Step 5: Unscrew the 4 screws securing the HDMI 4 board to the rear of the TV, and remove the old HDMI 4 board (put it in the same packaging the new HDMI board came in, for safe keeping).

Step 6: Now with the new HDMI 4 board, mount it on to the TV using the same 4 screws you removed from the old HDMI 4 board.

Step 7: Plug in the new HDMI 4 board using the same electrical connector that you unplugged from the old HDMI 4 board.

Step 8: Re-attach the rear plastic panel using all the screws you removed in step 3, making sure to put the screws in the exact same holes they came from (don't put the plastic covers back on until after you verified everything works correctly).

Step 9: Plug the TV back in and turn it on.

Step 10: First things first, when the TV boots and comes up to the initial set up screen, DO NOT do it. FACTORY reset the TV by holding the UP & power buttons again. After factory reset is completed and TV reboots, turn off the TV again and unplug TV.

Step 11: After about a minute, plug TV back in and repeat Step 10 again for good measure, and unplug TV.

Step 12: Plug TV back in, and turn on and complete the initial setup.

Step 13: If everything seems to be working, congrats, you successfully have the new board functioning in your TV. The bad news is, you probably won't know if HDCP 2.2 is fully active until you actually get your hands on 4K Blu-ray player in the future or other HDCP 2.2 device and try it.

Step 14: Snap the small covers covering the screws back in.

If for some reason, either the TV doesn't boot up, or HDMI 4 doesn't work at all when you try to plug in a standard HDMI device, then you will have to repeat all the steps above to replace the new HDMI 4 board with your original one. Remember to factory reset once again after you have your original board back in.

REMEMBER, WITHOUT ANY INFORMATION ON SOME SORT OF SPECIAL FIRMWARE UPDATE, THE ONLY TOOL WE HAVE AT OUR DISPOSAL TO MAKE THE TV RECOGNIZE THE NEW HDMI BOARD, IS THE FACTORY RESET PROCEDURE (WHILE OF COURSE MAKING SURE THE LATEST FIRMWARE VERSION IS ALREADY INSTALLED)

Last edited by viiv; 04-14-2015 at 10:59 PM.
post #12988 of 13055 Old 04-14-2015, 11:43 PM

Wow Viiv, I appreciate the step by step guide and the amount of time you took for it. The part is in transit at the moment. I have no problems doing it myself, but I believe that a Sony Tech will have access to any firmware that we may not have access to. Hence the reason I thought of getting them to do it at my expense. They have said they will assist at my own expense but cant guarantee the result. I will update in due course anyway.
post #12989 of 13055 Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ok cool. Listen, there may actually be no firmware update, but it could be a setting or value changed in the service menu.

If the Sony tech has access to some inside information, please be sure to document and post it here. If he changes something in the service menu, document it by recording the steps and/or recording the whole thing with your cell phone with video.

Just make sure that the TV is already updated to the latest firmware version and factory reset prior to the tech's arrival.

Once again, if there is no firmware/service menu setting knowledge according to the Sony tech, I guess the only tool you have available to you to get the TV to recognize the new board is the factory reset procedure.

I really really hope, that you can at least get the new HDMI board to at least function with a standard HDMI device, so you will at least feel good about having the upgraded board inside your TV, even if the HDCP 2.2 is not functioning.
post #12990 of 13055 Old 04-15-2015, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by viiv View Post
Why are you so scared about doing this upgrade? You don't even have to hire labour to do it as long as you are patient and work slowly and you don't try to rush, and accept that it will take up a whole afternoon/evening. Buy some quality precision screwdrivers before attempting this, to avoid stripping or damaging the screws.

I understand that there may be a firmware update of some sort, but without that information, the best we can do is factory reset to try to force the TV to refresh and recognize the new HDMI board. Factory resets are performed by holding down the UP directional button on the remote control while turning off the TV by pressing the power button located on the TV. The TV will reboot, and come up with the initial set up, like the first time you powered on the TV.

I see four possible outcomes, none of them catastrophic:

1. TV will work with full HDCP 2.2 functionality on your new HDMI 4.

2. TV will work, with the new HDMI 4 board functioning but without HDCP 2.2 active. In this case, you can still use your new HDMI 4 port and plug in a regular device into it, but HDCP 2.2 won't be active until you can figure out a way to activate it. But at least you have the new upgraded board in your TV until you can figure out how to activate it.

3. TV will work and boot up, but new HDMI 4 port will not work at all, not even with a regular old HDMI device, but the other 3 HDMI ports will still work.

4. TV will not boot up with the new HDMI board installed. In this case, you simply power down and unplug, and reinstall the old HDMI board back in, factory reset, and everything should function as it did.

Here are the steps to do it:

Step 1: Perform full factory reset on TV (make sure you are already running the latest firmware version, its 4.51 right now. If not, update to the latest version, and factory reset after the update again, after the TV reboots with the initial set up on the screen, turn off the TV and unplug the TV. You want it to be in the fully factory reset state.

Step 2: Power off and unplug TV

Step 3: Some screws on the back are hidden behind small plastic covers. Don't try to remove these with a screwdriver, as you will cause cosmetic damage, use a plastic tool (such as a plastic trim removal tool) to remove them without making any scratches or dents to the rear plastic rear.

Step 3: Make sure you and your partner touch a metal object in your house (not the TV lol!!!) to make sure to get rid of any static shock in your body, and with the help of your wife or girlfriend, unscrew the screws holding the rear plastic cover remove the back cover and be super careful with it, placing it down on some soft carpet or a towel to make sure you don't damage it at all. Don't try to do this yourself because once it comes loose as you unscrew the last screw, the plastic back panel will come crashing to the ground if you don't have someone helping you holding on to it. Take note which screw came from EXACTLY which hole, as they might be slightly different.

Step 4: Make sure that you do not have any static shock in you first, and just unplug the electrical connector that the HDMI 4 board is plugged into.

Step 5: Unscrew the 4 screws securing the HDMI 4 board to the rear of the TV, and remove the old HDMI 4 board (put it in the same packaging the new HDMI board came in, for safe keeping).

Step 6: Now with the new HDMI 4 board, mount it on to the TV using the same 4 screws you removed from the old HDMI 4 board.

Step 7: Plug in the new HDMI 4 board using the same electrical connector that you unplugged from the old HDMI 4 board.

Step 8: Re-attach the rear plastic panel using all the screws you removed in step 3, making sure to put the screws in the exact same holes they came from (don't put the plastic covers back on until after you verified everything works correctly).

Step 9: Plug the TV back in and turn it on.

Step 10: First things first, when the TV boots and comes up to the initial set up screen, DO NOT do it. FACTORY reset the TV by holding the UP & power buttons again. After factory reset is completed and TV reboots, turn off the TV again and unplug TV.

Step 11: After about a minute, plug TV back in and repeat Step 10 again for good measure, and unplug TV.

Step 12: Plug TV back in, and turn on and complete the initial setup.

Step 13: If everything seems to be working, congrats, you successfully have the new board functioning in your TV. The bad news is, you probably won't know if HDCP 2.2 is fully active until you actually get your hands on 4K Blu-ray player in the future or other HDCP 2.2 device and try it.

Step 14: Snap the small covers covering the screws back in.

If for some reason, either the TV doesn't boot up, or HDMI 4 doesn't work at all when you try to plug in a standard HDMI device, then you will have to repeat all the steps above to replace the new HDMI 4 board with your original one. Remember to factory reset once again after you have your original board back in.

REMEMBER, WITHOUT ANY INFORMATION ON SOME SORT OF SPECIAL FIRMWARE UPDATE, THE ONLY TOOL WE HAVE AT OUR DISPOSAL TO MAKE THE TV RECOGNIZE THE NEW HDMI BOARD, IS THE FACTORY RESET PROCEDURE (WHILE OF COURSE MAKING SURE THE LATEST FIRMWARE VERSION IS ALREADY INSTALLED)
Quote:
Wow Viiv, I appreciate the step by step guide and the amount of time you took for it. The part is in transit at the moment. I have no problems doing it myself, but I believe that a Sony Tech will have access to any firmware that we may not have access to. Hence the reason I thought of getting them to do it at my expense. They have said they will assist at my own expense but cant guarantee the result. I will update in due course anyway.

Well done CS. Please let us know how it works.

As I mentioned in a previous post I'm so disappointed with Sony Singapore I am looking to change to a Samsung. The new JS SUHD 9000 is in Singapore and offered at a really good price, but I'd like to see the 9500 first. However, if the part is available, and it works, I'm inclined to save some money and give it a try. I'm sure it will void the rest of my 5 year warranty though, and that will be a consideration.

On a totally separate issue I'm in London with the wife to visit family, and the new LG 4k OLED is on display at Selfridges and is something else. It will set you back 25k sterling though.

Good luck

Last edited by samsas; 04-15-2015 at 03:32 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com