Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 434 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #12991 of 13009 Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well mate 5 years warranty not bad Samsa unless you purchased extra cover. We over here get a lousy 1 year warranty. Shows how crappy the service we get over here. Every A***hole wants your money and extra warranty you got to pay an independent warranty provider. Its when you go to claim and thats when they get you real good. Good old service doesn't exit today and back in the day Sony was up there. Its is now a former shadow of its once great past. It seems Sony have inconsistency in service all over the world. The worst is is in our neck of the woods and Sony UK at least providing a solution. There are a number of people who have managed to upgrade the port without even having the 4k media player go figure.

I am headed into uncharted waters with this part on our X9004A's as no one has been game to try it. I guess if it is a success then the floodgates will open to get the part. I hope is is a success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12992 of 13009 Old 04-15-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Will HDMI 2.0a be supported now that the spec has been released? I'm a little confused by what has been published, some articles allude to HDMI 2.0a being supported by all HDMI 2.0 devices but it is unclear.
post #12993 of 13009 Old 04-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Will HDMI 2.0a be supported now that the spec has been released? I'm a little confused by what has been published, some articles allude to HDMI 2.0a being supported by all HDMI 2.0 devices but it is unclear.
It sounds like all HMDI connections can be upgraded by a firmware release to the 2.0a standard and it will make some improvement on the signal, however, the x900A will never have full HDR support.
Sony is not even releasing HDR in all of its 2015 TVs - it will only be in their 2 flagship models (930c and 940c) in 2015.
Here is a link to an article that has the best explanation that I found so far...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/hdmi-...1504094041.htm
post #12994 of 13009 Old 04-16-2015, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
Well mate 5 years warranty not bad Samsa unless you purchased extra cover. We over here get a lousy 1 year warranty. Shows how crappy the service we get over here. Every A***hole wants your money and extra warranty you got to pay an independent warranty provider. Its when you go to claim and thats when they get you real good. Good old service doesn't exit today and back in the day Sony was up there. Its is now a former shadow of its once great past. It seems Sony have inconsistency in service all over the world. The worst is is in our neck of the woods and Sony UK at least providing a solution. There are a number of people who have managed to upgrade the port without even having the 4k media player go figure.

I am headed into uncharted waters with this part on our X9004A's as no one has been game to try it. I guess if it is a success then the floodgates will open to get the part. I hope is is a success.
No I purchased the extra warranty when I bought the set. It will have more value should I sell it with a valid warranty.
post #12995 of 13009 Old 04-21-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Pricing for the latest Sony 4K displays, available now for pre-order. Time to move up to 75", and move the 65X900a to the bedroom!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...F5A4235269ECF1
post #12996 of 13009 Old 04-21-2015, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very nice to catch up on the thread again today and see many of the 'old skool' still doing the rounds... and boy, you guys have been busy with the posts! :0)

So, part of my check-in was the search for answers - but not quite 100%... Yet ;0)

Am still rocking the X900A55 - a flawed gem, but still loving it! Would appreciate it if you guys could steer me right on a few things:

* The X900A will now do 4K at 60Hz, but via HDMI 4 only?
* All lower resolutions will also max out at 60Hz (I.e. No 120Hz)?
* In effect this means that if I input (for example) a 105FPS PC input (game) into HDMI 4 at any resolution, I will not perceive any benefit above what I would if I were inputting at 60FPS?

Sorry, they may seem like dumb questions, but I'm darned if I can find a definitive answer on these and am looking to compliment the PS4 and XB1 with a chunky PC with some grunt. If anything over 60FPS 4K (or lower) is pointless, then the cost is closer to £2k than 4 :0) lol

Cheers lovely people!

Rick
post #12997 of 13009 Old 04-23-2015, 11:53 PM

Well What can I say it took 4 weeks to get the part and its finally here. Nothing special about it. No firmware usb with it either. Just a white little box with the circuit board inside. I contacted Sony also today and I have got them to organise a tech to come out and install the part. So hopefully I get a call from the tech guys to book in a time to fit the part. Will update again on the install date ad will confirm if it is a success.
post #12998 of 13009 Old 04-24-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Well What can I say it took 4 weeks to get the part and its finally here. Nothing special about it. No firmware usb with it either. Just a white little box with the circuit board inside. I contacted Sony also today and I have got them to organise a tech to come out and install the part. So hopefully I get a call from the tech guys to book in a time to fit the part. Will update again on the install date ad will confirm if it is a success.
Thank you. I've also ordered the part a week ago, figured out what harm, let us know how it goes.
CSPerera likes this.
post #12999 of 13009 Old 04-24-2015, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Refresh my memory, please, how will you verify that the part is working properly? I hope you confirm with the installer before he arrives that he is indeed bringing a FW patch when he comes.
post #13000 of 13009 Old 04-24-2015, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Pricing for the latest Sony 4K displays, available now for pre-order. Time to move up to 75", and move the 65X900a to the bedroom!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...F5A4235269ECF1
AJ, now what are you "eyeballing" at the 75" level?
Gerry
post #13001 of 13009 Old 04-24-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
AJ, now what are you "eyeballing" at the 75" level?
Gerry
The X940C looks very interesting. However, this time around, I may wait for the prices to come down, like they did with the X900A. Paying list price when I already have a wonderful display seems a bit foolish.
post #13002 of 13009 Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
The X940C looks very interesting. However, this time around, I may wait for the prices to come down, like they did with the X900A. Paying list price when I already have a wonderful display seems a bit foolish.
Yes, prices are pretty steep to start with for sure.. I would also like to move from the 65X900A to a 75" at some point but it will not be at the X940C level (church mice are poor!!). Nor will it be anytime soon as I will evaluate after all reviews, etc. are done and the price drops considerably. Looking with interest in maybe the 910C level but time will tell.. Unfortunately where I live it will be tough to sell my X900 unless someone I know is interested but that's doubtful, so that is another consideration in any purchase..
Gerry
post #13003 of 13009 Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Refresh my memory, please, how will you verify that the part is working properly? I hope you confirm with the installer before he arrives that he is indeed bringing a FW patch when he comes.

Ok to be honest theres no way to verify if the part is working as I have no access to a Sony 4k media player unless someone is kind enough to lend me one preferably here in Oz for the sole purpose of testing and returning the unit. The internet speed is lousy here where I am living anyway and I cant justify buying and paying the exuberant prices they are asking for one anyway. My sole purpose is to be able to play 4k blurays when they are released. Unlike the US/UK we are predominantly still using discs be it bluray and DVD and streaming services are still yet to take off with the lousy speeds we have or until our NBN becomes available to me. Now as for this firmware patch? The million dollar question? Is there one? because I cant find it anywhere and everyone I have asked in regards to it who sell the part have no clue. The supply chain in the US have no clue and they told me its incorporated in the board go figure. Hence the reason why I am getting Sony to do the upgrade. When I speak to the tech I am going to have to ask him if he has access to Sony global firmware and if there is such a patch for this particular part. If he does not know well its going in the TV anyway and it might just work. Refer to what Viiv posted in the possible outcomes a few posts back. I can only hope.......
post #13004 of 13009 Old 04-26-2015, 09:17 AM

Below is an extract of my communication with Encompass (US) the supply chain for Sony. As you can see even they have no idea if a firmware exists for the part, which leads me to believe if such a patch/firmware exists then only a Sony Technician would have access to it. I am expecting my call to install the part this week so I most definitely will discuss this with him.I wouldn't be surprised if I might have to explain to him what I am actually asking him to do after all the waffling and waffling I have done with customer service.

"The PC Board would come pre-programmed with firmware. If a firmware update were to be necessary, an authorized servicer would have access to that firmware update online. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer technical advice concerning the necessity of the firmware. Updates are not included with the PC Board. I hope this answers your questions."
post #13005 of 13009 Old 04-27-2015, 07:12 PM

Liked: 25
Cool. One more tip, be sure to disconnect EVERYTHING from the TV, so that from beginning to end of the process, including all the factory resets, that NOTHING is connected to the TV at all, not even a single HDMI or USB cable.
CSPerera likes this.
post #13006 of 13009 Old 04-27-2015, 11:23 PM

Ok an update on this- My assigned installer is awaiting for approval from Sony to go ahead and install the board and he apparently has access to the boards firmware for overseas etc. However he has to make sure that the part will be compatible and work with our X9004A TVs. If he discovers that it is in fact incompatible at least I am really happy and proud enough to say that I was able to talk to a local tech expert that will make sure that the upgrade is safe without me risking anything and screwing up the TV. So watch this space.
post #13007 of 13009 Old 04-28-2015, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Ok an update on this- My assigned installer is awaiting for approval from Sony to go ahead and install the board and he apparently has access to the boards firmware for overseas etc. However he has to make sure that the part will be compatible and work with our X9004A TVs. If he discovers that it is in fact incompatible at least I am really happy and proud enough to say that I was able to talk to a local tech expert that will make sure that the upgrade is safe without me risking anything and screwing up the TV. So watch this space.

I happy you got this far, the board I ordered hasn't even been shipped. Anyway, Sony Singapore told me earlier they won't do any installation for me. So if there is firmware to be installed, it's a no go for me. But please keep us updated especially if there is firmware to be installed. Best of luck.
post #13008 of 13009 Old 04-28-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsas View Post
I happy you got this far, the board I ordered hasn't even been shipped. Anyway, Sony Singapore told me earlier they won't do any installation for me. So if there is firmware to be installed, it's a no go for me. But please keep us updated especially if there is firmware to be installed. Best of luck.

OK Samsa that place takes 7 days to ship plus you have to take into account the postage time. Its is irritating the amount of time they take but you will eventually get it. Now we will wait and see if there is a firmware for it as I mentioned before. If there is any then this tech will have access to it. I specifically asked him if he has access to global firmware and he said yes. So we will take one step at a time and hopefully we will be able to solve it. I will definitely keep everyone posted.
post #13009 of 13009 Old 04-28-2015, 11:42 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
OK Samsa that place takes 7 days to ship plus you have to take into account the postage time. Its is irritating the amount of time they take but you will eventually get it. Now we will wait and see if there is a firmware for it as I mentioned before. If there is any then this tech will have access to it. I specifically asked him if he has access to global firmware and he said yes. So we will take one step at a time and hopefully we will be able to solve it. I will definitely keep everyone posted.
Wow, good job. Well, if there is a firmware update, try your best to get a copy of it from the tech. This is the only way we could help out people like Samsa who might otherwise never be able to get HDCP 2.2 in their TV. If you can get a copy of this firmware, or document exactly what is needed to activate it (service menu settings for example), then anyone no matter where they live can do it themselves whether or not Sony supports it.

It will also help us learn more about the inner workings of this majestic TV.
post #13010 of 13009 Unread Today, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any chance we can hack the 900A and get android tv on the set??
post #13011 of 13009 Unread Today, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskers15 View Post
Any chance we can hack the 900A and get android tv on the set??
100% sure the likelihood is nil.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page