Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 435 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Member
 
samsas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
OK BOYS I HAVE IT INSTALLED!!!! FINALLY.

Now no firmware was needed. You just have to go in the service menu and change a few things to get it to work. You do this at your own risk after you have purchased the part. I am not going to post the instructions here. For Australians once you have purchased the part contact European Electronics on 03 95534300 in Melbourne Australia and arrange to get a tech out and get it done. Samsa if you can get in touch with me and hopefully I can assist you since the part is headed your way. Furthermore they or I don't guarantee it works. You do these things at YOUR OWN RISK. If I can work with you Samsa since you have bought the media player we can ascertain if this is a success or not. But let me just say the service menu is not very user friendly to say the least. I was unable to even record it properly as the Tech guy was super fast in doing it but lets just say a keen eye was at work here.

Findings at present
- ARC is working so no issues here
- Mastered in 4k is working as well, tho It is not changeable in free to air TV mode like it use to be. (It is blanked out to off) However when I put in a Mastered in 4k disc it is outputting with XV color enabled automatically. I was able to confirm this via my Pioneer receivers App also. Anyway tho I cant be 100 percent certain, I am happy and this is the first time a X9004A has been done however a 79 inch one has had the upgrade done apparently.

Great news CS. I dropped you a PM and would be grateful if you would let me have one additional detail. Thanks
CSPerera likes this.
samsas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Member
 
CSPerera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TULF View Post
I just want to say thank you CSPerera, I started following this thread a while ago upon discovering the X900a (Bought on release in AUS) is pretty much useless when it comes to consumer based 4K. My story is vastly similar, Upon finding out I queried the place of purchase (JB Hifi with 5 years extended warranty) with the issues and all I have found out. Your information has been a great help

I was asked to bring the unit in so they could test USB playback and content from their 4K generators. Further to this I opted to keep the TV in store while they contacted the head of Sony Aus for further support and clarification. After a few days the Store manager called me back and Sony Claim that none of these issues exist (WTF?) and that a 4K blu ray player will be available in May and will be fully supported by the X900a (Which without HDCP 2.2 is just impossible). I politely explained that it would not work and why, the manger not too techy asked if I could email my findings so he could pass them along. This was over 4 weeks ago and I have not so much have had a peep back.

If I get anywhere with my case I will let you know
Sony Australia know about the issue for starters... that I know most definitely. Reasons is when consumer affairs contacted them the bloke contacting them on my behalf was told that they will not do anything because HDCP 2.2 was not a feature of the TV that was advertised at the time of purchase. 4k Blu ray player available in May?? That just shows that they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes whoever said that. It isn't going to work period unless you find away to circumvent HDCP 2.2.
The 4k generator er doesn't allow you to playback anything via usb except for what is loaded with it and as well as Sony's own proprietary content which they can upload to it. How do I know? because I have one which I scored from the US lol and tried to playback mp4 files, avi files etc that it doesn't recognise. Basically its a 4k demo machine that playback Sony "SEN" files on loop.

As far as HEVC is concerned I believe the codec is built into the X5/X10 media player and I am of the understanding that you can playback 4k files via that if I am not mistaken. The part only adds HDCP 2.2 functionality that we will need for when 4k blu ray players are eventually released. Anyone want to add anything who has the media player?

Look I hope you get your situation rectified and appreciate the thanks TULF I hope everyone can sit back and enjoy the TV now. Having said that that part is becoming rare so try to get your hands on it, the tech guy also confirmed it. Maybe this is a reason why Sony Australia is not making the part available here. Supply and demand?? who knows.
CSPerera is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by TULF View Post
I started following this thread a while ago upon discovering the X900a (Bought on release in AUS)


TULF
Newbie

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1


WELCOME TO THE A FORUM! Took a while to squeeze out your first post.
LeeSoFl is online now  
Old 05-05-2015, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by TULF View Post
I just want to say thank you CSPerera, I started following this thread a while ago upon discovering the X900a (Bought on release in AUS) is pretty much useless when it comes to consumer based 4K. My story is vastly similar, Upon finding out I queried the place of purchase (JB Hifi with 5 years extended warranty) with the issues and all I have found out. Your information has been a great help

I was asked to bring the unit in so they could test USB playback and content from their 4K generators. Further to this I opted to keep the TV in store while they contacted the head of Sony Aus for further support and clarification. After a few days the Store manager called me back and Sony Claim that none of these issues exist (WTF?) and that a 4K blu ray player will be available in May and will be fully supported by the X900a (Which without HDCP 2.2 is just impossible). I politely explained that it would not work and why, the manger not too techy asked if I could email my findings so he could pass them along. This was over 4 weeks ago and I have not so much have had a peep back.

If I get anywhere with my case I will let you know
Well at least Sony is confused as usual TULF.
The moment UHD bluray players are released in Australia Sony will need to deal with your HDMI port.
Mdjones9137 is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,675
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post

As far as HEVC is concerned I believe the codec is built into the X5/X10 media player and I am of the understanding that you can playback 4k files via that if I am not mistaken. The part only adds HDCP 2.2 functionality that we will need for when 4k blu ray players are eventually released. Anyone want to add anything who has the media player?
Glad to hear you are making progress, CS. WRT the X10 player, yes, it plays back 4K files (movies and demo clips downloaded from Somy Entertainment Network). It does require a connection to the HDCP 2.2 port on the display (HDMI4), just as the 4K Blu-Ray player will.

The interesting news is that a 4K Blu-Ray player will be available in May. That is considerably earlier that I would have expected--maybe they meant May 2016? Regardless, I am unaware of any 4K Blu-Ray media at this time anyway. Perhaps Sony will release some disks along with the player.
AustinJerry is online now  
Old 05-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Member
 
eric_purdue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The interesting news is that a 4K Blu-Ray player will be available in May. That is considerably earlier that I would have expected--maybe they meant May 2016?
Where did you see this?
eric_purdue is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,675
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_purdue View Post
Where did you see this?
In TULF's original post.
AustinJerry is online now  
Old 05-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
MLXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Special thanks to CSPerera, for his detailed updates.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TULF View Post
I was asked to bring the unit in so they could test USB playback and content from their 4K generators. Further to this I opted to keep the TV in store while they contacted the head of Sony Aus for further support and clarification. After a few days the Store manager called me back and Sony Claim that none of these issues exist (WTF?) and that a 4K blu ray player will be available in May and will be fully supported by the X900a (Which without HDCP 2.2 is just impossible). I politely explained that it would not work and why, the manger not too techy asked if I could email my findings so he could pass them along. This was over 4 weeks ago and I have not so much have had a peep back.

If I get anywhere with my case I will let you know
Please do let us know, TULF. I went to the Sony shop in Brisbane [Australia] last year and enquired about availability of a 4k player for my 2013 model set [KD65X9004A]. The salesman assured me a 4k player would be forthcoming for my set.

As an early adopter who paid a substantial price for my 4k TV I think it appropriate that Sony Australia honour its commitment. Also, I note that a 4k TV that cannot play 4k content (other than through a pc playing open licensed files) is not really a 4k TV!
MLXXX is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Member
 
CSPerera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Glad to hear you are making progress, CS. WRT the X10 player, yes, it plays back 4K files (movies and demo clips downloaded from Somy Entertainment Network). It does require a connection to the HDCP 2.2 port on the display (HDMI4), just as the 4K Blu-Ray player will.

The interesting news is that a 4K Blu-Ray player will be available in May. That is considerably earlier that I would have expected--maybe they meant May 2016? Regardless, I am unaware of any 4K Blu-Ray media at this time anyway. Perhaps Sony will release some disks along with the player.
Yes I thought so. I am in too minds wether to buy one or not. As for starters it could end up being a rather expensive brick. I would need to test the port if it works or not to be 100% sure. For starters if I get it to work, I would have to to deal with the geo blocking issue of the player and to work out a way to satisfactory use it. Internet speed is an issue here also as we are still on ADSL 2+ with lousy speeds etc. The only purpose is to be able to playback my own content via its USB port which I am able to do anyway via my 4k HTPC.

Samsa is the only one who can do it from here as he has the player on hand and the part on his way to him. In the mean time I am thinking.......

As for the 4k Blu-ray player the last I heard of was about that Panasonic player at the beginning of the year (CES) and I highly doubt Sony jumped the gun and is going to release one this month. I am sure this statement was to get rid of TULF and his TV set especially when the manager stated that Sony advised him that none of these issues existed. I have been dealing with Sonys level 2 support since we discovered the issue and find it extremely unusual that this manager was stated that. As a rule of thumb when I go to any lengths of discussing technical issues I ask for a name. Find out a name who the managers contact was at Sony and start investigating from there.

At present the only solution X9004A Australian customers can do is to go and get the part and get someone to install it as I have done. All at your own expense. Going to your local retailer is fruitless they don't know anything else but to make a sale. Talking to Sony isn't going to get you a free supply and fit. They won't replace it for an updated B series because its not faulty. Been there and done that after over a years communication. This is the only solution folks.
CSPerera is offline  
Old 05-05-2015, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,675
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
Yes I thought so. I am in too minds wether to buy one or not. As for starters it could end up being a rather expensive brick. I would need to test the port if it works or not to be 100% sure. For starters if I get it to work, I would have to to deal with the geo blocking issue of the player and to work out a way to satisfactory use it. Internet speed is an issue here also as we are still on ADSL 2+ with lousy speeds etc. The only purpose is to be able to playback my own content via its USB port which I am able to do anyway via my 4k HTPC.

Samsa is the only one who can do it from here as he has the player on hand and the part on his way to him. In the mean time I am thinking.......

As for the 4k Blu-ray player the last I heard of was about that Panasonic player at the beginning of the year (CES) and I highly doubt Sony jumped the gun and is going to release one this month. I am sure this statement was to get rid of TULF and his TV set especially when the manager stated that Sony advised him that none of these issues existed. I have been dealing with Sonys level 2 support since we discovered the issue and find it extremely unusual that this manager was stated that. As a rule of thumb when I go to any lengths of discussing technical issues I ask for a name. Find out a name who the managers contact was at Sony and start investigating from there.

At present the only solution X9004A Australian customers can do is to go and get the part and get someone to install it as I have done. All at your own expense. Going to your local retailer is fruitless they don't know anything else but to make a sale. Talking to Sony isn't going to get you a free supply and fit. They won't replace it for an updated B series because its not faulty. Been there and done that after over a years communication. This is the only solution folks.
Wow, it sucks to be a videophile down under! Thank goodness your country has so many other charms. Good luck.
CSPerera likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
Old 05-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Newbie
 
TULF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks guys! Yeah I'm sure that the 4K player is just a ruse to get me away but the fact is at the end of the day my unit is incapable of playing protected i.e consumer grade 4K content. I am using this as my contest point and so far it has managed to get me far with JB HIFI at least. I will be heading back in tonight, I'll report my findings.
CSPerera likes this.
TULF is offline  
Old 05-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mdjones9137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Mdjones9137 is offline  
Old 05-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Member
 
halon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjones9137 View Post
I wonder how much bills are going to go up because of this? HAHA

Cordcutter, 4yrs going. I don't miss paying for any of that.
halon is offline  
Old 05-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Newbie
 
djlpap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs up X9004a

I've also ordered the part A1952947A from Sony ServicePLUS and AusPost is forwarding to here. Been on the phone with Sony and they said that SSS Electronics in NSW may be able to help with the install. However they are waiting to hear back from the senior tech who is overseas at the moment and may take a couple of weeks. Not sure if they are actually willing to help.
djlpap is offline  
Old 05-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Member
 
CSPerera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlpap View Post
I've also ordered the part A1952947A from Sony ServicePLUS and AusPost is forwarding to here. Been on the phone with Sony and they said that SSS Electronics in NSW may be able to help with the install. However they are waiting to hear back from the senior tech who is overseas at the moment and may take a couple of weeks. Not sure if they are actually willing to help.
Djlpap

If you speak to European Electronics on 03 95534300 and speak to Shane, they might be able to put you through to someone else in NSW that may be able to assist. Having said that if all else fails let me know. I am also waiting to hear back on results from Samsa in Singapore who has the media player and to see if the upgrade was successful. I am really looking forward to hearing a successful result. In the mean time make sure you have the latest TV firmware updated.
CSPerera is offline  
Old 05-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Member
 
CSPerera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
OK excellent news guys. Samsa got the part working and it is a Rolling Success with his media player!! So there you have it guys. Sony Australia could have made this much easier but in the end we had to figure it out ourselves after sourcing the part with limited Knowledge. Samsa congratulations we have solved the problem and I thank you for your contribution on this and having the guts to problem solve with me for the benefit of every X9004A users. HDCP 2.2 is no longer going to be an issue with this TV.

(I am going to shutdown the change.org petition because although I do believe that Sony should have provided this upgrade free of charge for X9004A users the issue is solvable)

Last edited by CSPerera; 05-13-2015 at 01:59 PM.
CSPerera is offline  
Old 05-13-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,675
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
OK excellent news guys. Samsa got the part working and it is a Rolling Success with his media player!! So there you have it guys. Sony Australia could have made this much easier but in the end we had to figure it out ourselves after sourcing the part with limited Knowledge. Samsa congratulations we have solved the problem and I thank you for your contribution on this and having the guts to problem solve with me for the benefit of every X9004A users. HDCP 2.2 is no longer going to be an issue with this TV.

(I am going to shutdown the change.org petition because although I do believe that Sony should have provided this upgrade free of charge for X9004A users the issue is solvable)
That is indeed good news, CS. Your perseverance paid off!
AustinJerry is online now  
Old 05-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Newbie
 
djlpap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
OK excellent news guys. Samsa got the part working and it is a Rolling Success with his media player!! So there you have it guys. Sony Australia could have made this much easier but in the end we had to figure it out ourselves after sourcing the part with limited Knowledge. Samsa congratulations we have solved the problem and I thank you for your contribution on this and having the guts to problem solve with me for the benefit of every X9004A users. HDCP 2.2 is no longer going to be an issue with this TV.

(I am going to shutdown the change.org petition because although I do believe that Sony should have provided this upgrade free of charge for X9004A users the issue is solvable)
That is awesome news! a sign of relief. Just read that they have finalised the UltraHD format today.



In terms of Sony receivers (i have str-dn1040) supporting HDCP 2.2, unfortunately looks like the only option is to update to the new str-dn1060 model which supports it. With the old models, you can use ARC or optical cable to connect sound but you won't get the full lossless codec from the player. Also the new model still doesn't support dts:x or dolby atmos which rendered it pointless considering the new ultraHD format will have it.

Last edited by djlpap; 05-13-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Added offical logo and Receiver information.
djlpap is offline  
Old 05-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Member
 
CSPerera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlpap View Post
That is awesome news! a sign of relief. Just read that they have finalised the UltraHD format today.



In terms of Sony receivers (i have str-dn1040) supporting HDCP 2.2, unfortunately looks like the only option is to update to the new str-dn1060 model which supports it. With the old models, you can use ARC or optical cable to connect sound but you won't get the full lossless codec from the player. Also the new model still doesn't support dts:x or dolby atmos which rendered it pointless considering the new ultraHD format will have it.
No don't go updating anything just yet. I am assuming if they come out with a 4k Bluray player the might just come out with dual HDMI inputs. One for Picture going to a HDCP compliant port like what you are getting soon and the other going to the receiver for sound. You will be able to save considerably by not having to replace receivers as such.
CSPerera is offline  
Old 05-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Newbie
 
djlpap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
No don't go updating anything just yet. I am assuming if they come out with a 4k Bluray player the might just come out with dual HDMI inputs. One for Picture going to a HDCP compliant port like what you are getting soon and the other going to the receiver for sound. You will be able to save considerably by not having to replace receivers as such.
I hope they do, similar to the way the Sony Media player work in that they have two HDMI ports for this purpose. With all these incompatibilities with existing technology and UltraHD requirements, there has to be a point where manufactures have to do something to reconcile all these incompatibilities or there would be many unhappy customers.
djlpap is offline  
Old 05-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Member
 
m2loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are replacing my Sony X 900a with the a refurbished Sony X950b. Is it worth the gamble kind of nervous
m2loco is offline  
Old 05-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Member
 
samsas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
OK excellent news guys. Samsa got the part working and it is a Rolling Success with his media player!! So there you have it guys. Sony Australia could have made this much easier but in the end we had to figure it out ourselves after sourcing the part with limited Knowledge. Samsa congratulations we have solved the problem and I thank you for your contribution on this and having the guts to problem solve with me for the benefit of every X9004A users. HDCP 2.2 is no longer going to be an issue with this TV.

(I am going to shutdown the change.org petition because although I do believe that Sony should have provided this upgrade free of charge for X9004A users the issue is solvable)
First, let me say thanks to CSPerera who really did the groundwork to source the part and persevered to much. Also to Viiv for the step by step installation procedure. I'll add that if you are attempting this be careful when you disconnect the power cable attachment. The cable is soldered into the TV, to remove the back plastic cover of the TV you need to remove this small plate that holds the power cable in place. There is a small screw and you need to carefully dislodge this back plate so as not to crack it or damage the power cable. You can then thread the power cable and power plug through the gap and remove the TV back plastic cover.


The installation of the part is simple. 2 screws and a bus bar. There were changes made to 2 of the service menu values and I subsequently found it necessary to change them back to the original values.


I'll add that I'm no technician, I did it with the help of a handyman and it took about the whole afternoon mainly because of the extreme caution I took in removing and care so as not to loose the screws and place the in a careful order.


I've got the before and after pics attached below


Thanks CSPerera and Viiv again.










Thanks everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3639.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	716058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4037.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	716066  
CSPerera likes this.
samsas is offline  
Old 05-15-2015, 04:56 AM
Senior Member
 
devilbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I have the opportunity to purchase a pre-owned XBR65X900A for a very decent price. I am coming from a SAMSUNG UN60ES6100. I mostly watch Blu-Ray and play games on XBOX ONE and Playstation 4. I have been in the market to upgrade to a 65" and wondering if there is anything specific that I should look out for while inspecting the set? Have you had any issues? I know this is a 2013 model too. Is there any display differences that I will see immediately? Thanks.

devilbones is online now  
Old 05-15-2015, 05:03 AM
Senior Member
 
MLXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 57
CSPerera, samsas, viiv,
awesome result. Congratulations!

I think I'll wait a little and see what happens, e.g. whether Sony Australia make a belated move. If they don't, I will probably follow the upgrade path you have shown us.
CSPerera likes this.
MLXXX is offline  
Old 05-15-2015, 03:00 PM
Member
 
CSPerera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsas View Post
First, let me say thanks to CSPerera who really did the groundwork to source the part and persevered to much. Also to Viiv for the step by step installation procedure. I'll add that if you are attempting this be careful when you disconnect the power cable attachment. The cable is soldered into the TV, to remove the back plastic cover of the TV you need to remove this small plate that holds the power cable in place. There is a small screw and you need to carefully dislodge this back plate so as not to crack it or damage the power cable. You can then thread the power cable and power plug through the gap and remove the TV back plastic cover.

The installation of the part is simple. 2 screws and a bus bar. There were changes made to 2 of the service menu values and I subsequently found it necessary to change them back to the original values.


I'll add that I'm no technician, I did it with the help of a handyman and it took about the whole afternoon mainly because of the extreme caution I took in removing and care so as not to loose the screws and place the in a careful order.


I've got the before and after pics attached below


Thanks CSPerera and Viiv again.










Thanks everyone

Interesting I just recalled in regards to the power cable. On my TV the power cable was not soldered to the PC board. It was attached via a small plastic plugin which I watched the Tech bloke squeeze the two sides together and took out. A 1 second job. So must be different revision for Aussie X9004s then. Either way at least you able to remove the backing without too much trouble.
Mine is a 55inch so maybe its different on the 65inch tv. Now I just rechecked mine- My Values are at 0. So what is essentially happening is by changing the service menu values means you are flashing the parts firmware to the TV. Its a rather crude way of doing it but when the values are back to 0 the job is done and by the looks of it mounts the HDMI port for use. If you get my drift.

So now that this issue has been solved, I have taken the next step into the world of projectors lol. Bought my first one from the UK- A Optoma HD131XE. So I will probably for the time being hanging out in their forums.

Last edited by CSPerera; 05-15-2015 at 03:20 PM.
CSPerera is offline  
Old Today, 06:08 AM
Senior Member
 
devilbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I got the XBR-65X900A. Now where is the 4k content? Is there a post with optimal settings? I have a PS4 and XBOX ONE. Thanks, so far I am blown away by the color on this.

devilbones is online now  
Old Today, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,675
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbones View Post
Well I got the XBR-65X900A. Now where is the 4k content? Is there a post with optimal settings? I have a PS4 and XBOX ONE. Thanks, so far I am blown away by the color on this.
You can try the settings referenced in the link in my sig if you like.

4K content can only be accessed using the Sony 4K player, the FMP-X10, which is an additional cost. You can check out the X10 thread to see if this is something you would want to purchase.
AustinJerry is online now  
Old Today, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
devilbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You can try the settings referenced in the link in my sig if you like.

4K content can only be accessed using the Sony 4K player, the FMP-X10, which is an additional cost. You can check out the X10 thread to see if this is something you would want to purchase.
Thank you so much for the settings, much better. I may hold out on the X10. Thanks again.

devilbones is online now  
 

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off