Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 442 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 890Likes

Old 10-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chiu View Post
On the X900A remote, the RM-YD087. There is a DISPLAY button on the left side. WHen you watch a program, pressing that tells you the resolution on the upper left corner.
Thanks, but that's the button I was referring to when I mentioned that pressing it doesn't show the display info. It seems to do it for some input, like my Blu-ray player, but it doesn't for my Fire or Apple TV though. Am I doing something wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Maybe it has something to do with which USB port the feed is coming from. I will be getting my Amazon 4K TV tonight. I am eager to set it up to watch 4K videos I made stored on a hard drive as well as watch Netflix 4K with it.
If I find the display, will share here.
If nothing works, Amazon's return policy is pretty easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Thanks, but that's the button I was referring to when I mentioned that pressing it doesn't show the display info. It seems to do it for some input, like my Blu-ray player, but it doesn't for my Fire or Apple TV though. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 10-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe it has something to do with which USB port the feed is coming from. I will be getting my Amazon 4K TV tonight. I am eager to set it up to watch 4K videos I made stored on a hard drive as well as watch Netflix 4K with it.
If I find the display, will share here.
If nothing works, Amazon's return policy is pretty easy.
Thanks, the Fire TV works fine (including UHD). The resolution info not displaying is a TV issue I would think, and not a big deal really just annoying.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have 2 boxes that need HDCP 2.2 and you know the xbr only has 1 hdmi with hdcp 2.2. Anyone try this box to give you more hdmi inputs?

Panlong 3-Port HDMI 2.0 Switch Switcher with IR Remote Control (3 In 1 Out) with HDCP 2.2, 4K at 60 / 30, 3D, 1080P, 1440P Support

http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Splitt...p+2.2+splitter
Old 10-08-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskers15 View Post
I have 2 boxes that need HDCP 2.2 and you know the xbr only has 1 hdmi with hdcp 2.2. Anyone try this box to give you more hdmi inputs?

Panlong 3-Port HDMI 2.0 Switch Switcher with IR Remote Control (3 In 1 Out) with HDCP 2.2, 4K at 60 / 30, 3D, 1080P, 1440P Support

http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Splitt...p+2.2+splitter
You've probably figured out by now, that the (picture) link you posted is a HDMI splitter, not the switch you'd need. This one might work because it specifically says HDCP 2.2:

http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-5-Port...304217&sr=1-21
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDCP.PNG
Views:	39
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	982593  
Old 10-08-2015, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The 5 in 1 is out of stock at Amazon
This one that is 3 in 1 is available.
http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-3-Port...-Port+HDMI+2.0

I received the 3 in 1 switch today. It works great on my 900a. I have the Sony media player, the new Fire TV, and have room for the Roku 4
It does not auto switch correctly for me but that does not matter as the remote it comes with works great.
I would highly recommend this product to any 900a users. This solves the one HDCP 2.2 port problem on our TV.

Adam

Last edited by adamwe; 10-08-2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-09-2015, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 275
The 2.2 compliant switch has (only) a single HDMI output. The non-HDCP 2.2 switches offer an optical out, and also RCA out plugs.

Does anyone make a HDCP 2.2 switch with an optical output? Do you think the reason they don't is the intentional restriction in 2.2 which wouldn't permit separating any portion of the secured signal?

Thank you.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
The 2.2 compliant switch has (only) a single HDMI output. The non-HDCP 2.2 switches offer an optical out, and also RCA out plugs.

Does anyone make a HDCP 2.2 switch with an optical output? Do you think the reason they don't is the intentional restriction in 2.2 which wouldn't permit separating any portion of the secured signal?

Thank you.
None that i can find I have searched abit, but no results

It doesn't matter with my set up though.

I run optical from the TV to my receiver.
Run the Amazon Fire TV to switch box connected to TV hdmi 4.
Run the Sony media player to switch box, use the hdmi out on Sony media player for sound to receiver.
Run the Roku 4 when its out to switch box, use the optical out on the Roku for sound to receiver.

Adam
Old 10-09-2015, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You're referring to the brand new Fire TV that does 4k? Do you have these two issues:

1. Sound output over HDMI at a very low level so you have to crank your amplification to even achieve conversational level volume? To the point where Fire TV remote button presses make really loud sounds, and you dare not switch to another source without bringing the volume WAY down first?

2. The Fire TV won't let the Sony "go to sleep," or even stay switched off?
I'm having both these problems and am planning to send it back if they don't fix it with a software patch soon

Quote:
None that i can find I have searched abit, but no results

It doesn't matter with my set up though.

I run optical from the TV to my receiver.
Run the Amazon Fire TV to switch box connected to TV hdmi 4.
Run the Sony media player to switch box, use the hdmi out on Sony media player for sound to receiver.
Run the Roku 4 when its out to switch box, use the optical out on the Roku for sound to receiver.

Adam
Old 10-10-2015, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishChef View Post
You're referring to the brand new Fire TV that does 4k? Do you have these two issues:

1. Sound output over HDMI at a very low level so you have to crank your amplification to even achieve conversational level volume? To the point where Fire TV remote button presses make really loud sounds, and you dare not switch to another source without bringing the volume WAY down first?

2. The Fire TV won't let the Sony "go to sleep," or even stay switched off?
I'm having both these problems and am planning to send it back if they don't fix it with a software patch soon
1- Yes the sound on the Fire TV 4K is low but only on playing movies through Amazon. Netflix and others seem fine to me. Even streaming prime music is normal, but prime movies the volume is low.

2- I don't have the sleep problem on my 65 900a at all. The TV and the Sony media player both stay off when turned off.

Adam
Old 10-10-2015, 08:00 AM

Has anyone with new Amazon 4K Fire figured out a way to view Youtube 4K content on the Sony 65X900A or similar sets?

Also, is there a way to make use of that USB port on the Fire 4K as 4K movie file player?
Old 10-10-2015, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Has anyone with new Amazon 4K Fire figured out a way to view Youtube 4K content on the Sony 65X900A or similar sets?

Also, is there a way to make use of that USB port on the Fire 4K as 4K movie file player?
Does the Fire decode VP9? If not, then no..check the specs

Sent from my SM-N910T3
Old 10-10-2015, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
4K Fire Tv Streaming and NETFLIX 4k/ YouTube 4k on XBR65X900A

Imp, you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
One thing though, is there no way to have the TV display the source input resolution? I hate that hitting "display" doesn't show "3840x2160" or any source info, at least for when I have the Fire TV connected. At least that would be a little bit satisfying.
I have a 65X900A, and have recently connected the new Amazon Fire TV 4k to the HDMI4 input, grouped along with HDMI 1,3 at the bottom of the set.

When FIRE is connected to HDMI 4, if I am watching a streaming Amazon Prime UHD video, the Sony briefly displays a resolution of 3840 x 2160, after pressing the 'Home' button and selecting the input (4) where the FIRE is connected.

When I view the FIRE TV / NETFLIX home screen showing videos available, while I am in the selection menus this same button press shows 1080p on that input, and then after launching the 4k vid, the same button presses immediately indicate that the Sony is displaying a
UHD 3840 x 2160 4k source. Very nice.

As far as I can tell so far, the 'Display' function of the Sony remote does not function at all with the FIRE TV, thus requiring the use of the 'Home' button to see what is going on with the source the Sony thinks it is getting.

At the moment, doing the same steps as described, but using the FIRE TV's 'YouTube' app to play 4k vids (including Samsung/Sony 4k demo vids there), I can only get a 1080p indication from the Home/Input button presses, whether in the YouTube home selection screens or during the actual 4K vid playback.

Again, the 'Display' button does absolutely nothing with the FIRE.

However, IMO the FIRE TV/YouTube vids look great, even though it seems that they are 1080p, or at least the Sony thinks they are, as do I.

Tweaker you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Does the Fire decode VP9? If not, then no..check the specs

Sent from my SM-N910T3
Here is a VP9 info page I found: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-...ews-18221.html

Here are the supported formats on the FIRE from Amazon: "Content Formats Supported Video: H.265, H.264, Audio: AAC-LC, AC3, eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC), Photo: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP"

I am wondering if, as you said, that is why I see no indication that the FIRE TV/YouTube app is playing 4k UHD, or is it something else? Does no VP9 on that list really mean that any 4k YouTube video is limited to 1080p?
Old 10-10-2015, 08:34 PM

Roku 4 Specs for XBR65X900A

If the FIRE TV can't play 4k YouTube, the Roku 4 should, but VP9 on the Roku is 30fps only, whereas HEVC is 60fps. Here are the Roku 4 specs from their site :

Tech specs:

Networking

802.11ac MIMO dual-band wireless
10/100 Base-T Ethernet
Video Outputs

Up to 4K UHD (3840 × 2160) on 4K UHD TVs
Up to 1080p HD (1920 x 1080) on HD TVs
Up-scales 720p to 1080p HD on 1080p HD and 4K UHD TVs
Up-scales 1080p HD to 4K UHD on 4K UHD TVs
4K UHD 60 fps HEVC Playback
4K UHD 30 fps VP9 Playback (YouTube)
Playback from USB drives
Audio Output

Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound passed through via HDMI or optical output
Storage Expansion

microSD card port for additional game and channel storage
USB port for personal media expansion
Remote Control

Enhanced remote with voice search, point anywhere use, headphone jack, and motion-control for gaming.
Player includes IR receiver, compatible with various universal remotes.
Speaker for Remote Finder alerts
Power Consumption

12.4W (typical) when streaming 4K UHD video
Power Input

12V – 1A power adapter
USB Media Formats

Video: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264), HEVC (H.265)
Audio: MP3, Apple Lossless, WMA, AAC
Image: JPG, PNG, up to 4K UHD resolution
Size

6.5 x 6.5 x 0.8 inches
Weight

0.9 lb.

Notice that the specs here mention VP9 video in one place, but not the other.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:48 PM

Besides the Roku 4K you posted here that can play 4K files from an USB external hard drive, do you know of another such box capable of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconhawke View Post
If the FIRE TV can't play 4k YouTube, the Roku 4 should, but VP9 on the Roku is 30fps only, whereas HEVC is 60fps. Here are the Roku 4 specs from their site :

Tech specs:

Networking

802.11ac MIMO dual-band wireless
10/100 Base-T Ethernet
Video Outputs

Up to 4K UHD (3840 × 2160) on 4K UHD TVs
Up to 1080p HD (1920 x 1080) on HD TVs
Up-scales 720p to 1080p HD on 1080p HD and 4K UHD TVs
Up-scales 1080p HD to 4K UHD on 4K UHD TVs
4K UHD 60 fps HEVC Playback
4K UHD 30 fps VP9 Playback (YouTube)
Playback from USB drives
Audio Output

Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound passed through via HDMI or optical output
Storage Expansion

microSD card port for additional game and channel storage
USB port for personal media expansion
Remote Control

Enhanced remote with voice search, point anywhere use, headphone jack, and motion-control for gaming.
Player includes IR receiver, compatible with various universal remotes.
Speaker for Remote Finder alerts
Power Consumption

12.4W (typical) when streaming 4K UHD video
Power Input

12V – 1A power adapter
USB Media Formats

Video: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264), HEVC (H.265)
Audio: MP3, Apple Lossless, WMA, AAC
Image: JPG, PNG, up to 4K UHD resolution
Size

6.5 x 6.5 x 0.8 inches
Weight

0.9 lb.

Notice that the specs here mention VP9 video in one place, but not the other.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwe View Post
The 5 in 1 is out of stock at Amazon
This one that is 3 in 1 is available.
http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-3-Port...-Port+HDMI+2.0

I received the 3 in 1 switch today. It works great on my 900a. I have the Sony media player, the new Fire TV, and have room for the Roku 4
It does not auto switch correctly for me but that does not matter as the remote it comes with works great.
I would highly recommend this product to any 900a users. This solves the one HDCP 2.2 port problem on our TV.

Adam
Thanks for that.
The HD Fury "Integral" here http://www.hdfury.com/shop/splitters...60-444-600mhz/ might help get a 4k streaming signal through older receivers w/o HDCP 2.2.
I have two on the way.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:52 PM

Sorry, I do not. Perhaps the NVIDIA?
Old 10-11-2015, 03:02 AM

falconhawke:

The display button works while using my Firetv. I have used it on the amazon app and netflix to make sure what I was getting was in 4k. It works every time for me on my 65900a. I use the small second remote that came with the TV.

1- I hit the keypad button on the remote.
2- Navigate to the the word Display.
3- Press center button to select the word Display, and it shows the resolution.

This works every time using the new Firetv Box. I dont know if it works with the Firetv stick but I think it should.

Adam
Old 10-11-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwe View Post
falconhawke:

The display button works while using my Firetv. I have used it on the amazon app and netflix to make sure what I was getting was in 4k. It works every time for me on my 65900a. I use the small second remote that came with the TV.

1- I hit the keypad button on the remote.
2- Navigate to the the word Display.
3- Press center button to select the word Display, and it shows the resolution.

This works every time using the new Firetv Box. I dont know if it works with the Firetv stick but I think it should.

Adam
I might return the FIRE, so far no 4k YouTube, and that may be a box killer for me.
I have pre-ordered the ROKU 4 due later this month as it indicates 4k YouTube ready. Meanwhile, I am working with the FIRE.

Thanks. I tried your suggestion, but it did not work for me. Following your steps, I get nothing. With the small remote, only after I navigate to 'Input' on the keypad screen, then pressing the 'Select' button twice do I get a brief display of the resolution the Sony thinks it is receiving; essentially so far I need to check 'Connected Devices' and select the 'Input' device for the HDMI connection to get the displayed resolution for a few seconds.

Strange. Does your 65X900A have HDMI 4 grouped with HDMIs 1 and 3 down low? I can't think of other settings that might make my TV differ from yours, any suggestions on something I might change to get the 'Display' function operational with the FIRE TV?
Old 10-11-2015, 08:42 AM

Falconhawke:

My TV has HDMI 4 to the right of 1 & 3, but its separate in its own boxed area.
My HDMI 2 is to the side by itself.
Like I said it works on my TV but only with the small remote, pressing display with the standard remote shows nothing.

Adam
Old 10-11-2015, 09:04 AM

Thanks Adamwe, on mine HDMI 1,3, ad 4 are all next to each other close in line, and HDMI 2 is on the side.
Nothing I do gets the 'display' function to work, and some other issues are there, also.

Being a big user of Amazon Prime, I had hoped the new FIRE would be better, took me like 5/10 minutes to get the freakin' remote open! Apparently, no VP9 support means no 4k YouTube so far.

Disappointed some, probably returning the FIRE this week. Will see what the Roku 4 offers in a few weeks.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:24 AM

no 4K Youtube App is a mistake as that is the biggest source of 4K publicly available at the moment.
No working app to connect a personal hard drive with 2K/4K videos is the other oversight.

Quote:
Thanks Adamwe, on mine HDMI 1,3, ad 4 are all next to each other close in line, and HDMI 2 is on the side.
Nothing I do gets the 'display' function to work, and some other issues are there, also.

Being a big user of Amazon Prime, I had hoped the new FIRE would be better, took me like 5/10 minutes to get the freakin' remote open! Apparently, no VP9 support means no 4k YouTube so far.

Disappointed some, probably returning the FIRE this week. Will see what the Roku 4 offers in a few weeks.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:

I have the Roku 4 pre ordered
I will be keeping both lol. I like the Fire TV prime music streaming.
I was told a big update for the Fire TV is coming by the 21st. Hopefully thats true.

Adam
Old 10-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Question -

I just bought a Denon AVR-S910w

I plan on connecting a PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV and possibly a newer 4K streaming device -

With that said - which HDMI input should I be directing all this to in my 65x900a?

I'm from the U.S. And have a May2014 build date.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0182 View Post
Question -

I just bought a Denon AVR-S910w

I plan on connecting a PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV and possibly a newer 4K streaming device -

With that said - which HDMI input should I be directing all this to in my 65x900a?

I'm from the U.S. And have a May2014 build date.
HDMI 4, then again if HDCP 2.2 isn't an issue, might not matter. It's been a bit, but I think all are 4K capable, just HDMI 4 is HDCP. ..How soon we can forget lol

Sent from my SM-N910T3
Old 10-16-2015, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Back Light Question

Hey guys. I took this night shot the other night at my house and noticed a strange oval shape light pattern. Is that the way the back light works on these sets (65 900a)? I feel like I've notice dark corners before and I don't really like it...

Last edited by Sandro Natale; 10-16-2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 10-16-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 4411 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro Natale View Post
Hey guys. I took this night shot the other night at my house and noticed a strange oval shape light pattern. Is that the way the back light works on these sets (65 900a)? I feel like I've notice dark corners before and I don't really like it...
I suspect that is an anomaly of the photo. I don't notice any unusual unevenness with my display.
Sandro Natale likes this.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 49
have any of you gents looked in detail at the sony 2014 and 2015 UHD models (using sony's own in house nanocrystal tech) to see how the onscreen picture quality compares to the sony 2013 models (using quantum dot's made by QD Vision)

i have the HD version of your model (kdl-55w900a) and find that the cadmium based quantum dots give a more vivid and life like color reproduction then anything i have currently seen from the major brands in showrooms since (be this from the panasonic or samsung 2015 nanocrystal models, or sony's own implementation in 2015). the higher UHD resolution provides better sharpness and crispness to the image (as 4k should) then my HD, but to me the end result of the video quality on screen of these newer models just doesnt match what sony did for their 2013 range

For the sony 2013 QD models, using a good quality video source (and at high mb/sec, eg on a good bluray disc) can create an almost 3 dimensional immersive effect that adds a great sense of depth to the image, with almost palpable realistic textures. the end result produces a "suspension of disbelief" that makes you forget you are looking at a flat screen in your living room. I just dont get the same sense of video quality from the newer models, however good these new 2015 models are. hopefully future models in the next years will surpass it (as technological evolution should), but it is not quite there yet and imho sony made a mistake in not continuing to use the technology from QDVision. my only criticism would be that i would like more detail in the black range of the spectrum, blacks are good (and i am not asking for oled black), but a minor weak point of this sony 2013 sony QD range (for my HD at least) is that i'd like more detail in the very dark "near total black" .

some of you might have some frustration that the 2013 UHD range from sony didnt fully implement the new UHD standard (for ex using rec.709 color space for UHD instead of rec.2020) but if you are able to get in UHD (upscaled HD) what i see in HD you must have a pretty amazing display that has not been surpassed yet (imho)

what are your observations when comparing your 2013 UHD displays to the recently released 2015 models from sony or the other major brands ?
Old 10-17-2015, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgens View Post

what are your observations when comparing your 2013 UHD displays to the recently released 2015 models from sony or the other major brands ?
I think there are some pretty nice displays out there with amazing picture quality from different manufacturers. I'd take an OLED or FALD panel without hesitation over the 900A ten times out of ten... Not knocking the PQ on the 900A, but you asked....

Sent from my SM-N910T3
Old 10-18-2015, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have been using Seagate as my media server connected o my comcast modem wifi connected to my tv.. but all of a sudden when I go the media server choice on the TV as I always have and choose video it now says "there are no items to display" where as before I would see a listing of all the files..

Any one experience the same? Was there a recent TV update that changed the DLNA server?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
taboola here