Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 445 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 905Likes

post #13321 of 13617 Old 12-20-2015, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I guess I won't find a 4K Blu-ray player under the tree this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13322 of 13617 Old 12-21-2015, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 44
In a few months. Patience, grasshopper.

I have a bit of an odd request here. This TV is very old now and I've had trouble getting reliable numbers, but has anyone ever run Leo Bodnar on the X900A and gotten a precise measurement of the input lag when set to Cinema mode? Thanks if you know and are able to share.
post #13323 of 13617 Old 12-22-2015, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

I have a bit of an odd request here. This TV is very old now and I've had trouble getting reliable numbers, but has anyone ever run Leo Bodnar on the X900A and gotten a precise measurement of the input lag when set to Cinema mode? Thanks if you know and are able to share.
Loool. Maybe the Trinitron WEGA I have in my basement is "very old now". I would hardly call this TV 'very old'. Design wise, the X900A is a stunner. Maybe if you live like a slob and your living room is a mess, and your X900A is covered in layers of dust with a rats nest of poor cable management, it will look old. But if you are like me, with a clean living room, cables neatly organized and hidden, you actually dust your home and your TV is on a high end TV stand, in a neatly presented living/theatre room with quality furniture, this TV WILL stand out. It is a timeless design, even more so than the B and C models. Maybe you and I know it is only two generations older from the current C model, but normal people who walk into my living room think it is the highest end most expensive TV out there, with a college age kid just last week calling it a 'sick TV'.

Last edited by viiv; 12-22-2015 at 01:13 AM.

post #13324 of 13617 Old 12-22-2015, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So does anyone actually have an answer to my question or can we get some more comedy snark troll responses?
post #13325 of 13617 Old 12-22-2015, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artjohn View Post
@smysore
"Unfortunately Sony has let go of Customer service in favor of Money. This is a general trend among most companies but Sony was maybe the first."

Thank you for kind post; I completely agree, and sadly share the same experience.

I have filed a formal written complaint with our County Consumer Protection Agency against Citibank; I know this particular local government agency enjoys a very aggressive reputation and attitude, and loves taking on National companies that mislead or use unfair trade practices with residents, and will not hesitate taking on Citibank.

As for Sony, sadly, they are a joke.

Michael Fasulo is president of Sony.

I still have not successfully located a method to write directly to him to appeal to his sense of fairness or at least pride in what used to be a leading name in high end consumer products

https://blog.sony.com/leadership/michael-fasulo/

There are only dead links and dead ends hiding his actual address or contact information; although I have determined he is located in Los Angeles.

Sony U.S. Sales Offices are most likely still operating in New Jersey at this address:
Sony Broadcast and Business Solutions (yeah no solutions offered)
One Sony Drive
Park Ridge, N.J. 07656
Phone: 201-930-1000

Allegedly Sony "main sales offices" are here:
Sony Corporation of America
550 Madison Avenue
New York, New York 10022-3211
Phone: 212 833 6800

Worse, any Sony "support" telephone numbers and support websites are pathetic and act either as barriers to help or direct insults to the public.

Again, thank you for kind post; needless to say, I am very disappointed with Sony and would warn others not to buy consumer products from this Company.

I wonder if Sony's lack of transparency hiding contact information is a result of the security breach it suffered earlier.
Regardless, complete lack of support for high end consumer purchasers is disappointing, to say the least. I also wonder if Sony is actually in the process of withdrawing from the consumer market, unable to compete with South Korean and Chinese competitors.
It's unfortunate that this happened to you, but Sony did/does offer extended contracts on their TV's including the 4K models. When I purchased my 900a, Sony called me within a couple of weeks of registering it and offered their extended support plan. It was far less expensive then what BestBuy wanted, and I opted to get it. I've had their extended warranties before and it's always paid off.

Jump to about a month ago and my 600a failed. Purple vertical lines and then it would no longer power on. Called Sony support, gave them my support contract, and after a few tests and sending in my BestBuy invoice, they said that the only repair option was to swap the entire unit. Since the 900a was no longer made, they gave me several options including the new X930C. A week later I had the X930C installed. They did something similar when my original Sony SXRD projection set failed.

The moral of the story is that Sony has a default warranty and offers extended warranties. For such an expensive purchase, and especially for first-gen 4K, opting for the extended warranty would have been inexpensive insurance against failure.

Please don't blame Sony. They provided a product with a well stated warranty - your set failed after that date. Their extended warranty is exceptional on the 4K sets, where the default is to simply exchange the product. Next time, get the extended warranty.
post #13326 of 13617 Old 12-22-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

I thought it was in the range of 32ms when in game mode, so it's going to be higher in Cinema.
post #13327 of 13617 Old 12-22-2015, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I bought one on line on e-bay. Unfortunately there is absolutely NOTHING on the internal drive to even see if it works. I do not have high enough internet speed to download 4K movies, but thought my son in law, who has cable internet, might be able to download some things for me.
OOPs, when I plug it in it wants my SONY 4K TV or it will not download to the hard drive of the Sony recorder! Typical Sony, I am surprised I don't need a Sony wall outlet to give it electrical power. My Mitsubishi Lasarvue tv failed within one year of paying a fortune for it and they had NO PART SUPPORT, despite US law !!! That put them totally out of my consideration of their products in the future. I looked at Samsung plasmas but feared plasma probably going out of vogue and becoming non reparable so I mistakenly bought a Sony. So far my LG washing machine at least works great but most of my electronics are American made or at least American assembled, many by me using Heathkit products and they were always reparable by me. I can still get service and parts for a McIntosh 40 watt stereo tube amplifier from the late 1960's. Heathkit finally went out of business but I can always buy transistors, resistors and capacitors and wire. Only thing is, not sure if I could buy a new picture tube or even want one, but my amplifiers and receivers are still functional and can be repaired.

Bill Shenefelt
http://sheneskillies.com
william.shenefelt@verizon.net
post #13328 of 13617 Old 12-24-2015, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsessler View Post
I thought it was in the range of 32ms when in game mode, so it's going to be higher in Cinema.
It's around 40 ms in Game mode, but I've never seen a firm number for Cinema.
A review of the X900B showed around 130 ms in Cinema.
post #13329 of 13617 Old 12-27-2015, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Does anyone know how to enter the service menu and which settings are available?
post #13330 of 13617 Old 01-04-2016, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsessler View Post
It's unfortunate that this happened to you, but Sony did/does offer extended contracts on their TV's including the 4K models. When I purchased my 900a, Sony called me within a couple of weeks of registering it and offered their extended support plan. It was far less expensive then what BestBuy wanted, and I opted to get it. I've had their extended warranties before and it's always paid off.

Jump to about a month ago and my 600a failed. Purple vertical lines and then it would no longer power on. Called Sony support, gave them my support contract, and after a few tests and sending in my BestBuy invoice, they said that the only repair option was to swap the entire unit. Since the 900a was no longer made, they gave me several options including the new X930C. A week later I had the X930C installed. They did something similar when my original Sony SXRD projection set failed.

The moral of the story is that Sony has a default warranty and offers extended warranties. For such an expensive purchase, and especially for first-gen 4K, opting for the extended warranty would have been inexpensive insurance against failure.

Please don't blame Sony. They provided a product with a well stated warranty - your set failed after that date. Their extended warranty is exceptional on the 4K sets, where the default is to simply exchange the product. Next time, get the extended warranty.
@jsessler

Thanks for your post; just wanted to update the community on my Sony 55XBR900a that catastrophically failed 6 weeks beyond the 18 month warranty.

Turns out Sony support is alive and well, and this is a company that does care for customers.

Sony has determined to "do the right thing" and I am totally delighted and grateful to Sony for doing this.

My faith has been restored in Sony.

I withdraw any posts written by me contrary to this one; I was wrong.

I will post further, as appropriate, over the coming weeks.

Again, thank you Sony.
post #13331 of 13617 Old 01-04-2016, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
duplicate post removed

Last edited by Artjohn; 01-04-2016 at 09:27 AM. Reason: to remove duplicate
post #13332 of 13617 Old 01-04-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artjohn View Post
@jsessler

Thanks for your post; just wanted to update the community on my Sony 55XBR900a that catastrophically failed 6 weeks beyond the 18 month warranty.

Turns out Sony support is alive and well, and this is a company that does care for customers.

Sony has determined to "do the right thing" and I am totally delighted and grateful to Sony for doing this.

My faith has been restored in Sony.

I withdraw any posts written by me contrary to this one; I was wrong.

I will post further, as appropriate, over the coming weeks.

Again, thank you Sony.
Good to hear that Sony resolved it, and I sure hope that you opt to purchase the Sony extended warranty this time.
wk1947 likes this.
post #13333 of 13617 Old 01-05-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I havent been here in a very long time, but after scanning the thread, I dont see any updated info on netflix 4k streaming built in to this tv; I know there had been some talk about a firmware update to make that happen, but I dont see it when I log into my netflix account on this tv.
My new sammy 40inch 4k tv has it built in, but I think its still incredible that there is no way to stream 4k video of any sort on this tv, aside from some YouTube clips...Aside from the great picture, I wish I had waited and bought one of the newer 65 inchers that allow you to at least stream 4k Netflix on them..

Am I missing something, or is this tv still a 4k tv that cant view natively anything in 4K???

thanks
post #13334 of 13617 Old 01-05-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I havent been here in a very long time, but after scanning the thread, I dont see any updated info on netflix 4k streaming built in to this tv; I know there had been some talk about a firmware update to make that happen, but I dont see it when I log into my netflix account on this tv.
My new sammy 40inch 4k tv has it built in, but I think its still incredible that there is no way to stream 4k video of any sort on this tv, aside from some YouTube clips...Aside from the great picture, I wish I had waited and bought one of the newer 65 inchers that allow you to at least stream 4k Netflix on them..

Am I missing something, or is this tv still a 4k tv that cant view natively anything in 4K???

thanks
The TV does not have the needed hardware codec for 4K streaming from netfix. You'll need to use an external device.
wase4711 likes this.
post #13335 of 13617 Old 01-06-2016, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

thanks, I bought a roku 4 yesterday, and that did the trick!
post #13336 of 13617 Old 01-07-2016, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Important message for any new visitors to this thread:

I've owned my 65-900a since May 2014 and have personally agonized through all the struggles many of us have gone through to watch 4k content.

I'm happy to announce that I've finally found peace in my decision to buy technology on the bleeding edge.

Thanks to a DIRECTV Genie Mini & Nvidia Shield I am now able to watch all the 4k content currently available in today's marketplace and it's brought new life to this TV.

I truly hope this helps someone avoid all the headache!

Last edited by Sandro Natale; 01-07-2016 at 10:44 PM.
post #13337 of 13617 Old 01-07-2016, 10:41 PM

Important message for any new visitors to this thread:

I've owned my 65-900a since May 2014 and have personally agonized through all the struggles many of us have gone through to watch 4k content.

I'm happy to announce that I've finally found peace in my decision to buy technology on the bleeding edge.

Thanks to a DIRECTV Genie Mini & Nvidia Shield I am now able to watch all the 4k content currently available in today's marketplace.

I truly hope this helps someone avoid all the headache!
post #13338 of 13617 Old 01-08-2016, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The new Samsung UHD bluray player looks tempting. Thought of selling my x10 but they are going for next to nothing on eBay now lol I hope the ps4 gets an update since Sony has skrewed us over and over already. Would be a nice gesture but I won't hold my breath.
post #13339 of 13617 Old 01-08-2016, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Try out UltraFlix! It's awesome!!
post #13340 of 13617 Old 01-08-2016, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post
The new Samsung UHD bluray player looks tempting. Thought of selling my x10 but they are going for next to nothing on eBay now lol I hope the ps4 gets an update since Sony has skrewed us over and over already. Would be a nice gesture but I won't hold my breath.
get a roku 4, and plug it in to hdmi 4; you'll get quite a bit on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a couple others that let you get some real 4k programs on this thing...
post #13341 of 13617 Old 01-09-2016, 11:27 AM

Since our 900a's have only 1 HDMI port that supports 4k but I have two 4k devices (Directv Genie Mini & Invidia Shield). I bought the Kanex Pro HDMI 2.0 3x1 4K Switcher from Fry's Electronics yesterday. It works for the Genie Mini but not the Shield unfortunately.

The Integral HDFury looks to be my answer, I'm just not very excited about the $199 price.

Has anyone tried running other devices through the Nvidia Shield to solve the 1 4k HDMI port issue???
post #13342 of 13617 Old 01-09-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

do you have a home theater receiver that passes 4 k signals?
you could feed them both through that if you do
post #13343 of 13617 Old 01-10-2016, 11:43 AM

Thanks for your reply @wase4711 . I don't have an AV receiver. I bought the 900a specifically for its speakers and to avoid going that route.

Interestingly enough, I returned the useless HDMI switcher and just put the Directv Genie Mini into HDMI 1. The little bit of 4k content provided by Directv still looks fantastic in 1080/24p. So for now at least, I'm not too worried about the lack of multiple HDMI ports that support 4k on our tvs.
post #13344 of 13617 Old 01-10-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

understandable;
I just bought a Yamaha 2050 receiver, with hdmi 2.0, and hdcp2.2; my plan is to hook everything up to it, then run the video out to the HDMI 4 on the sony, so everything run through the receiver should display in 4k, assuming its a 4K signal.
I know I will lose the AVC/One button on/off feature that you get when you hook up to HDMI 1 on the Sony, but I will deal with multiple remotes, or buy a cheap Harmony remote, so I can still get the "one button on/off"..
Its pathetic that this tv only has on 4k port; even the cheapest new 4k TV's now have ALL the HDMI's with the ability to stream/view in 4k..

I'll NEVER buy another Sony Product again, after how they just took thousands of dollars from so many of us, and never did anything about making this TV a REAL 4K tv..
wk1947 and Sandro Natale like this.
post #13345 of 13617 Old 01-11-2016, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a XBR-65X900A that I bought a few years back. It came from the factory with one HDMI port already upgraded with the proper HDCP 2.2 on the single port.

I have the TV on a stand. Most of the other components are connected to my STR-DN1040 in a cabinet behind a door. I am able to select between all of my AV components using the remote and the TV interface, as it sends the proper signals to the STR-DN1040 over HDMI.

I bought this TV, like an idiot, thinking that the PS4 would be upgraded with software to support 4K video (for streaming movies) in the first year of release. Obviously, I was wrong. I also thought that the STR-DN1040 was future-proof "enough", with multiple 4K inputs on it. Again, I was wrong.

So that I can finally see SOMETHING in 4K on my XBR-65X900A that I bought years ago, I bought a Roku 4.

Now my question is, how do I hook it up without losing the functionality of my AV receiver? Right now the STR-DN1040 is plugged into the HDCP 2.2 port. Although I am pretty certain that the DN1040 does not support HDCP 2.2.

How can I hook up the Roku 4 to the TV, and still get audio back to the receiver, and continue using the HDMI-CEC that works so well for my setup?

I considered getting a newer Sony AV receiver, but the DN1060 supports only ONE HDCP 2.2 input, and I can't find any info on whether the DN1070 supports multiple HDCP 2.2 inputs although I am guessing it is still only a single. I don't want to buy a DN1070 and then be limited again if I get a second 4K device....
post #13346 of 13617 Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 PM

@bsd107 It sounds like you could benefit from the Integral HDFury as well.

Check it out https://www.hdfury.com/shop/splitter...60-444-600mhz/

It's worth mentioning, at least in my experience that the difference between quality Full HD vs UHD on these tv's is minimal. Especially once you get 8 or more feet from the screen.

I just watched "Space Junk in 4k" on HDMI 4, then watched it in 1080/24p on HDMI 1. Negligible difference at best.

Aside from the annoying fact that we bought into 4k a bit too early and paid a premium for it, I'm overall happy.
post #13347 of 13617 Old 01-12-2016, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
I have a XBR-65X900A that I bought a few years back. It came from the factory with one HDMI port already upgraded with the proper HDCP 2.2 on the single port.

I have the TV on a stand. Most of the other components are connected to my STR-DN1040 in a cabinet behind a door. I am able to select between all of my AV components using the remote and the TV interface, as it sends the proper signals to the STR-DN1040 over HDMI.

I bought this TV, like an idiot, thinking that the PS4 would be upgraded with software to support 4K video (for streaming movies) in the first year of release. Obviously, I was wrong. I also thought that the STR-DN1040 was future-proof "enough", with multiple 4K inputs on it. Again, I was wrong.

So that I can finally see SOMETHING in 4K on my XBR-65X900A that I bought years ago, I bought a Roku 4.

Now my question is, how do I hook it up without losing the functionality of my AV receiver? Right now the STR-DN1040 is plugged into the HDCP 2.2 port. Although I am pretty certain that the DN1040 does not support HDCP 2.2.

How can I hook up the Roku 4 to the TV, and still get audio back to the receiver, and continue using the HDMI-CEC that works so well for my setup?

I considered getting a newer Sony AV receiver, but the DN1060 supports only ONE HDCP 2.2 input, and I can't find any info on whether the DN1070 supports multiple HDCP 2.2 inputs although I am guessing it is still only a single. I don't want to buy a DN1070 and then be limited again if I get a second 4K device....
You'll lose hdmi-CEC with any receiver you buy with this TV, if you hook the output up to HDMI4; trust me, I am dealing with the same thing myself. I decided to just buy a Harmony remote, which will allow the "one button" to turn everything on/off, so that should fix that part of it. I just bought the roku 4 as well, and currently have it hooked up to HDMI 4 directly, so when I monitor the tv sound on my receiver, i get the roku sound that way. When my Yamaha receiver comes in the next day or so, I will connect the roku to the receiver first; I will run the main HDMI out of the receiver to HDMI 4 on the TV, so everything will come through the tv in 4k/hdcp2.2/hdmi 2.0, but as I mentioned before, I will lose the CEC functionality..

Buy an receiver that has all of its ports with hdmi 2.0/hdcd 2.2 like the yahama I mentioned in the post above yours.
Sony receivers are lame, and I would NEVER consider buying one at any price..
post #13348 of 13617 Old 01-12-2016, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 40
OK Just thought I would mention that I have decided to sell my 55X900A. As of tomorow although I thought I would never buy another Sony TV again after the notorious HDCP 2.2 fiasco decided to stick with them. I bought the X930C (65inch) as I just could not get rid of my love affair with the side speakers and the price was hard not to give up on it. I Would have loved to have gone the LG OLED but unfortunalty the size equivalent is way out of my price range. The new 2016 Sony range apprently does away with the side speakers. So I decided to stick with last years model. Anyway its good to see that the thread is well and trully alive still.
post #13349 of 13617 Old 01-12-2016, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
You'll lose hdmi-CEC with any receiver you buy with this TV, if you hook the output up to HDMI4; trust me, I am dealing with the same thing myself. I decided to just buy a Harmony remote, which will allow the "one button" to turn everything on/off, so that should fix that part of it. I just bought the roku 4 as well, and currently have it hooked up to HDMI 4 directly, so when I monitor the tv sound on my receiver, i get the roku sound that way. When my Yamaha receiver comes in the next day or so, I will connect the roku to the receiver first; I will run the main HDMI out of the receiver to HDMI 4 on the TV, so everything will come through the tv in 4k/hdcp2.2/hdmi 2.0, but as I mentioned before, I will lose the CEC functionality..

Buy an receiver that has all of its ports with hdmi 2.0/hdcd 2.2 like the yahama I mentioned in the post above yours.
Sony receivers are lame, and I would NEVER consider buying one at any price..
So, this TV supports HDMI-CEC only on HDMI1, and NOT on HDMI4? Thanks for the heads-up - that is a big deal. Saves me buying a new receiver and then losing HDMI-CEC, which I depend on in daily use.
post #13350 of 13617 Old 01-13-2016, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 88
That is incorrect. HDMI CEC is supported on every input. Only HDMI1 supports HDMI ARC.

That's the audio return channel to provide audio to your receiver from TV apps.

HDCP 2.2 is only supported on HDMI4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread