Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 446 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 890Likes

Old 01-12-2016, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
You'll lose hdmi-CEC with any receiver you buy with this TV, if you hook the output up to HDMI4; trust me, I am dealing with the same thing myself. I decided to just buy a Harmony remote, which will allow the "one button" to turn everything on/off, so that should fix that part of it. I just bought the roku 4 as well, and currently have it hooked up to HDMI 4 directly, so when I monitor the tv sound on my receiver, i get the roku sound that way. When my Yamaha receiver comes in the next day or so, I will connect the roku to the receiver first; I will run the main HDMI out of the receiver to HDMI 4 on the TV, so everything will come through the tv in 4k/hdcp2.2/hdmi 2.0, but as I mentioned before, I will lose the CEC functionality..

Buy an receiver that has all of its ports with hdmi 2.0/hdcd 2.2 like the yahama I mentioned in the post above yours.
Sony receivers are lame, and I would NEVER consider buying one at any price..
So, this TV supports HDMI-CEC only on HDMI1, and NOT on HDMI4? Thanks for the heads-up - that is a big deal. Saves me buying a new receiver and then losing HDMI-CEC, which I depend on in daily use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 88
That is incorrect. HDMI CEC is supported on every input. Only HDMI1 supports HDMI ARC.

That's the audio return channel to provide audio to your receiver from TV apps.

HDCP 2.2 is only supported on HDMI4.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I wonder if something is wrong with my tv them, since I dont get CEC woking now that I am using hdmi 4 for all output...
Old 01-13-2016, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
That is incorrect. HDMI CEC is supported on every input. Only HDMI1 supports HDMI ARC.

That's the audio return channel to provide audio to your receiver from TV apps.

HDCP 2.2 is only supported on HDMI4.
can you point out where in the manual or else where that it says CEC is supported on EVERY input?
its not working for me, when using HDMI 4, and it was working fine on HDMI 1
Old 01-13-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
can you point out where in the manual or else where that it says CEC is supported on EVERY input?
its not working for me, when using HDMI 4, and it was working fine on HDMI 1
I'm almost certain that I have HDMI-CEC working on HDMI4 currently. That's the input I switched to recently when I bought my Denon AVR-X4200W. I also tested it with HDMI1.

But I will check again tonight.

Looking at the online "i-Manual," it doesn't mention any particular HDMI input working for "Bravia Sync" which is Sony's name for HDMI-CEC. That says to me that it works on any input. Frankly, it doesn't really make sense for it to only work on one input because it is supposed to auto switch inputs based on the device that you turn on.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
Old 01-13-2016, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

well, it used to work fine when I had everything going through HDMI 1, but now that I am using HDMI 4, it does absolutely nothing..really starting to dislike this TV..
Old 01-13-2016, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread

CEC works on all HDMI inputs. You may need to resync devices. Instructions to do this are in the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
well, it used to work fine when I had everything going through HDMI 1, but now that I am using HDMI 4, it does absolutely nothing..really starting to dislike this TV..
You have to enable this based on HDMI input under Settings - Channels and Inputs. It is not automatic.
wase4711 likes this.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks, I'll check it out!
Old 01-14-2016, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I've absolutely loved my 65 since I bought it. But. I think it might be time to sell it and update to a new one this year? Has anyone sold or tried to sell it yet? I was thinking 1200$.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Since HDMI 4 is the only hdcp2.2 compatible port, will I need to hook up a digital audio out cable in order to get surround sound to devices not going through my reciever? I've been using arc in HDMI 1, but i will be Hooking up the new und bluray player so I need my reciever to go to HDMI 4. Will that work?
Old 01-15-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

yep, thats what I am doing to get digital sound out of the tv now that I am running my AVR out to hdmi 4 on this tv
I still run everything through the AVR first, then the avr out to HDMI 4 on the tv, the a toslink cable from the tv to the avr for the "other stuff" to have digital sound
RiED27880 likes this.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
120hz 1080p support

For anyone interested in 120hz pc support for 1080p, I contacted sony support to request 120hz implementation for pc gaming. The panel natively supports 120hz and other tvs can do this with hdmi 1.4 and 2.0b. They just need to work it into the edid or software through firmware upgrade. I received a response saying they would forward to the support dept who handles firmware upgrades. Fingers crossed
Old 02-01-2016, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
Ok Mate tell me have you bought the required CX2 mount upgrade board yet? if you havent you need to purchase it from here:
Once you have done that you need to tell me if your in Melbourne, or if you are capable of performing the upgrade yourself. If your in Melbourne you can get European Electronics to install it other than that I can give you are guide to installing it yourself. Furthermore what are you using in order to view netflix? The reason I am asking is the netflix app on the TV is not 4k compatible as the TV doesnt have the required codecs built in. You need sometype of 4k media player which includes the 4k Australian netflix app to plug into the upgraded port. Then you can view protected content. To be honest I wouldnt even bother with netflix 4k. Having said that you will need that port upgraded if you want to one of these days purchase a 4k bluray player. I am assuiming you are in Australia as yours is an x9004a.
Hello CSPerera,

Apologies for the delayed reply. I lost the thread to this forum and being unwell for a while did not help either.

I have not done any purchase yet.
What is the advantage of doing this upgrade? Will I also have to buy another media player? Currently I have a Sony Blu ray player(no 4K) and my TV is connected to Apple TV and Denon AVR
Do you reckon I should go for the upgrade OR is there any new product in the market which will solve this?

Regards,
Sri
Old 02-03-2016, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriraj View Post
Hello CSPerera,

Apologies for the delayed reply. I lost the thread to this forum and being unwell for a while did not help either.

I have not done any purchase yet.
What is the advantage of doing this upgrade? Will I also have to buy another media player? Currently I have a Sony Blu ray player(no 4K) and my TV is connected to Apple TV and Denon AVR
Do you reckon I should go for the upgrade OR is there any new product in the market which will solve this?

Regards,
Sri
No problems mate. OK if your intention is to buy a proper Ultra High definition bluray player that will play Ultra High definition bluray Discs which is due out in a few months, unfortunately your going to have to get that port upgraded. Also if you also want to stream 4k Netflix the port will need to be upgraded. The current bluray players that are on the market are 4k upscaling and not in fact native. These players will not playback 4k content period. The potential of the TV if you ask me is lost if you don't. I think you should upgrade that part. However bare in mind if you upgrade the part and you are using ARC this may or may not function as it is intended to. Also the Mastered in 4k option will be blanked out in HDMI 1 but will work on all other ports.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Unhappy Uh Oh - completely black...

Turned the set on tonight and it is completely black. TV "responds to remote" in that it makes sounds, but no picture what soever. It's as if the backlight has completely died. Any advice or experience?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishChef View Post
Turned the set on tonight and it is completely black. TV "responds to remote" in that it makes sounds, but no picture what soever. It's as if the backlight has completely died. Any advice or experience?
OK, so after playing with everything I could think of with exactly zero light coming out of the TV, in desperation I searched for this sort of problem and found this: http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/56867...a-black-screen I presumed it couldn't possibly work - different TVs, older TVs, etc.

But it did.

That is some nasty software bug that persists across so many sets and results in a crazy fix like this.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hi All
would purchasing the samsung UBD-K8500 4k bluray player and 4k discs work ok with this "old" tv haha, still loving mine
i presume we use Hdmi 4
Old 02-06-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

well, if you had the hdmi4 board upgrade, and you plug it in to hdmi 4, with the proper cable it should work...
if you didnt have the hdmi 4 board upgrade, no, it wont be anything but a waste of money...
everunman and wk1947 like this.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Anyone actually get their hands on the new Samsung UHD player and test it out on the tv yet?
wk1947 likes this.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Anyone actually get their hands on the new Samsung UHD player and test it out on the tv yet?
Yes! It works great with my X900A through my Denon AVR-X4200W that is plugged into HDMI4.

But I don't have any UHD discs yet!

Still, YouTube and Netflix on the Samsung UHD player can stream in 4k, and it looks great!
wk1947 likes this.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Old 02-10-2016, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Wink

Quote:
Yes! It works great with my X900A through my Denon AVR-X4200W that is plugged into HDMI4.

But I don't have any UHD discs yet!

Still, YouTube and Netflix on the Samsung UHD player can stream in 4k, and it looks great!
Wait a second. You're saying that the new Samsung UHD BD player works great with your X900A and Denon AVR. But since you have no UHD BDs yet, you can't actually verify that the visual results the new Samsung player will yield with an X900A, will actually look great.

Mike Boone
Old 02-11-2016, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it works great in that it connects via HDMI and HDCP 2.2, which is always a question with this early TV. And this is the first time I've seen 4K Netflix or YouTube on my TV. Works great.

Still waiting for the UHD discs.
everunman and wk1947 like this.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, it works great in that it connects via HDMI and HDCP 2.2, which is always a question with this early TV. And this is the first time I've seen 4K Netflix or YouTube on my TV. Works great.

Still waiting for the UHD discs.
Thanks Shape, please report back, some member have some 4k blu rays already in the thread of the samsung player.
This Tv is still outstanding, just cant give it up right now as have no reason to
Old 02-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by everunman View Post
Thanks Shape, please report back, some member have some 4k blu rays already in the thread of the samsung player.
This Tv is still outstanding, just cant give it up right now as have no reason to
Interesting since UHD Blu rays are being officially released on 3/1.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just played Maze Runner 4k using Samsung UHD player through my Denon 6200 out to my Sony xbr-65900a and it played fine. TV does not support HDR and only one HDMI port #4 supports HDCP 2.2 but it played fine through the Denon, connected to HDMI 4 on my TV.
I got the warning for optimal picture quality connect to a UHD TV that supports HDR, but it played fine without down rezzing it.

Adam
wk1947 likes this.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwe View Post
Just played Maze Runner 4k using Samsung UHD player through my Denon 6200 out to my Sony xbr-65900a and it played fine. TV does not support HDR and only one HDMI port #4 supports HDCP 2.2 but it played fine through the Denon, connected to HDMI 4 on my TV.
I got the warning for optimal picture quality connect to a UHD TV that supports HDR, but it played fine without down rezzing it.

Adam
thanks for the report, did you see any jaw dropping footage being 4k compared to normal blu ray?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The 4k Blu-ray image when compared to the standard blu-ray up converted showed a much cleaner, better picture to me.
The picture was sharper and showed much more fine details. Also the color was better. Even though the tv does not do HDR the color on the UHD blu-ray was clearly much better, cleaner, vivid.

Adam
Old 02-15-2016, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for sharing. Can't wait till I get my player. Still love this tv just wished it had HDR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
taboola here