Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 450 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 895Likes
post #13471 of 13500 Old 05-14-2016, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I definitely will share my thoughts. The driving reasons behind my upgrade were 75" vs. 65", FALD, XDR, and on-board 4K streaming apps (so I can get rid of my X10). Of course I will be giving up passive 3D, but I am not a big 3D viewer anyway.
Yeah, FALD is absolutely the way to go. I'm hoping next year's trend for LCD TVs of all brands is a focus on full-array local dimming, seems to me to be the most logical technological platform to take HDR to the next level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13472 of 13500 Old 05-20-2016, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Gremlins strike again! Looks like my 900A has developed a problem with the panel surface. Couple weeks back noticed what I thought was a smudge at the time on the right middle edge of the screen. Used a damp cloth to wipe it off. As Sony fate would have it, the smudge would not come off.

Once I kneeled down to take a closer look it became apparent that it wasn't a smudge at all. It appears the shiny glare screen that covers the actual panel is beginning to separate. Only thing I can think of is that whatever adhesive they've used is beginning to break down. I'm busy today, but will give Sony a call next week to discuss repairs. At this point the defect is just on the viewable edge of the LCD panel. I've attached a couple of pics of only the right side. What? Only the right side? Yup, the same thing is beginning to happen on the left edge to a minor degree though. Figure that in time, the separation will get worse and extend into the more viewable part of the screen.

I purchased the set at the old Palo Alto Sony Store the year it went on $ale. Also purchased Sony's 5 year warranty for the set as well thank God. If anybody has dealt with a similar issue, please share any info you think would be helpful when dealing with $ony.

Thanks!

joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1449842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1449850  
post #13473 of 13500 Old 05-20-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Sorry, I have been unsubscribed for some time, so didn't see your query. The files that were posted are pretty much the same as my current settings.

The X900A will officially become my bedroom display starting on Monday. It will be replaced by the Sony XBR75X940D, which seems to be a worthy replacement, as much as I have liked the 900A. I believe Bruce has (or is planning on) moving in this same direction. Of course, one of the first things to do will be to pull out the CalMan kit, calibrate the set, and post the results. I love this hobby!
I just noticed this post and I actually bought the 940C last month. So I have the 900A in the family room. I bought the 930C in February and put that TV in the bedroom (yeah I know it's crazy to buy two TVs like that but I couldn't pass up the 940C deal and couldn't bring myself to return the 930C because the PQ is also very good on it and besides the bedroom TV was very old).

To be honest, I notice a much bigger difference between the 930C and 900A than between the 940C and 930C. FALD improves the picture quite a bit over edge lit, but not as much as two generations of improvements in their processing by Sony. Also the HDR on the 930C is very good. I notice the size more than anything on the 940C.
post #13474 of 13500 Old 05-25-2016, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by trab37 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by sean.scott 

Hmm, I'm using that cable with and without a null modem adapter and can't seem to get the control to work. I'm using the iRule iPad app with a GlobalCache RS232 WiFi to serial device which I've used with many other devices. Are the serial settings the same as most: 9600, 8bit, no flow control, 1 stop bit, no parity?

Also, if I hook up the TV to a laptop running putty via the serial cable + null modem, I can't send anything to the TV, but when I hit enter, the TV returns "PT" to the console. Any ideas?

Those are the correct settings. Have you made sure the RS232C option is set to 'ON' and that it is plugged into the top 1/8" port? I accidentally plugged mine into the wrong port when I hooked mine up the first time. Another thing to check is the pinout of the cable itself with a multimeter. You can take one of the pins from a network cable and strip both ends and plug it into pins 2,3 and 5 and make sure you get continuity with each section of the plug; the plug should have 3 sections.
Hey Trab37, can you provide more info on the pinout and protocol ?

The 1/8" Remote Serial Control 1/8" tip/ring/sleeve goes to which 2,3 and 5 pins on the rs232 connector ?

Samsung UN50HU8550FXZC
post #13475 of 13500 Old 05-27-2016, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVAzteca View Post
Gremlins strike again! Looks like my 900A has developed a problem with the panel surface. Couple weeks back noticed what I thought was a smudge at the time on the right middle edge of the screen. Used a damp cloth to wipe it off. As Sony fate would have it, the smudge would not come off.

Once I kneeled down to take a closer look it became apparent that it wasn't a smudge at all. It appears the shiny glare screen that covers the actual panel is beginning to separate. Only thing I can think of is that whatever adhesive they've used is beginning to break down. I'm busy today, but will give Sony a call next week to discuss repairs. At this point the defect is just on the viewable edge of the LCD panel. I've attached a couple of pics of only the right side. What? Only the right side? Yup, the same thing is beginning to happen on the left edge to a minor degree though. Figure that in time, the separation will get worse and extend into the more viewable part of the screen.

I purchased the set at the old Palo Alto Sony Store the year it went on $ale. Also purchased Sony's 5 year warranty for the set as well thank God. If anybody has dealt with a similar issue, please share any info you think would be helpful when dealing with $ony.

Thanks!

joe
Oy vey! Calling Sony is like calling CrazyTown.

Finally got around to calling Sony Support about my XBR. Things to expect:

1. They will have you go through standard troubleshooting procedures like picture reset and factory reset. Yes, even though I explained there was nothing wrong with the LCD panel.

2. They will take forever to get your contact and purchase info squared away. Total time on phone for the preliminary call was 1 hour and a couple minutes.

3. Once your case is escalated to the next tier of support, expect to start the contact and purchasing info gathering process all over again.

4. Make sure you ask for your support case number. Neither agent I spoke with today offered it to me.

5. Expect computer issues. Although it was the start of the workday there at the Support Center, the second tier agent told me they were having computer problems. I had to run errands and since he had offered to call me back in two hours, I took him up on the offer.

6. The agent (or at least in this case this particular agent) won't call you back. I gave them an extra 90 min to get their sh*t together. No call back, no email status report. Earth could have been hit by a meteor, and there never would have been a record of me calling and telling Sony that even though I paid $7000 for this amazing piece of technology I was still receiving crappy service!

7. If you call Sony Support back, cut to the chase and give the agent your support case number. Then be prepared to get mad.

8. Be prepared to give the agent both barrels for poor service. I manage an IT support desk for a Fortune 500 company. If service sucks, say it does. Don't let them get away with wasting your time. You're not calling the DMV!

The third agent informed me that the reason I wasn't given a call back was that my case had been escalated. By then I had lost it and told the agent "Look buddy, your customers are not mind readers. If you had emailed or left a message it would not have been necessary to waste your or my time....

9. Be patient. I didn't want to rush the process and be the rude American. I asked for Sony 4K TV support and was told by the agent that they are offshore in the Philippines. Having been on the other side of these calls, I know that if I'm a jerk...my ticket will "get lost."

Long story short, I'm supposed to get a call in 48 hours from Tier 3 support. I figure that will be next Tuesday due to the long weekend in the US. I'll keep everybody updated. Hopefully the issue my 4K had with the panels separating doesn't begin to happen to others. If so, just be prepared to deal with Sony Customer Support!
teeitup likes this.
post #13476 of 13500 Old 06-01-2016, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
X9004a a1952947A upgrade help

Hi CSPerera
If you could please help me with the instructions on installing the A1952947A update on my X9004a tv would be amazing.
I'm based in Brisbane and have just bought the part from the site you recommended and just waiting for it to arrive now.
I have been waiting for 3 years since I had my tv to
view some 4K movies and finally with the release of the Samsung 4K player, I realised my tv doesnt support hdcp2.2, I nearly died in disappointment.

Please please help.
post #13477 of 13500 Old 06-01-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPerera View Post
Ok Mate tell me have you bought the required CX2 mount upgrade board yet? if you havent you need to purchase it from here: http://www.notebookservice-online.de/A1952947A_1
Once you have done that you need to tell me if your in Melbourne, or if you are capable of performing the upgrade yourself. If your in Melbourne you can get European Electronics to install it other than that I can give you are guide to installing it yourself. Furthermore what are you using in order to view netflix? The reason I am asking is the netflix app on the TV is not 4k compatible as the TV doesnt have the required codecs built in. You need sometype of 4k media player which includes the 4k Australian netflix app to plug into the upgraded port. Then you can view protected content. To be honest I wouldnt even bother with netflix 4k. Having said that you will need that port upgraded if you want to one of these days purchase a 4k bluray player. I am assuiming you are in Australia as yours is an x9004a.
Hi CSPerera
If you could please help me with the instructions on installing the A1952947A update on my X9004a tv would be amazing.
I'm based in Brisbane and have just bought the part from the site you recommended and just waiting for it to arrive now.
view some 4K movies and finally with the release of the Samsung 4K player, I realised my tv doesnt support hdcp2.2, I nearly died in disappointment.

Please please help. my email is sun.mingze@gmail.com
post #13478 of 13500 Old 06-01-2016, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingze View Post
Hi CSPerera

Please please help. my email is sun.mingze@gmail.com
Message sent.

For all those who manage to get the part and need instructions I will list the instructions again below.

HDCP 2.2 Upgrade
HDCP 2.2 Upgrade
Instructions to Upgrade HDCP 2.2
Instructions for Upgrade.

The following is what needs to be done once you have removed the back panel and replaced the HDMI 4 part with the new CX2 Mount. Just bare in mind that you make sure you have installed the latest firmware and when taking off the back panel the power cord should be detached off the motherboard. On my TV it was attached to the motherboard by a squeezable plastic snap in jack. So I hope your ok to proceed mate.

Enter the service menu

Turn TV off with remote. Wait a few seconds then press in sequence i+, 5, vol+, on, it should boot into the service menu

To Scroll you need to use the 1 (Up) button and 4 (down) keys. To Change the values you have to use the 3 and the 6 keys. To get to the Chassis Service Menu you need to press the options button

So the process goes like this. Follow the instructions to enter the Service Menu, press Options to enter Chassis Service Menu, use 1 button to scroll down until I get to 004 HDMI 002 Run_EDID-SEQ 0. Press 3 to change the value from 0 to 1 and the PRESS the MUTE button (the one with the X over the Speaker Icon). It will take 3 seconds to write the new value (the words writing will display) and the new value is installed.
Do this for both listed below. Once eveything is flashed- turn the TV off.

So once in there you have to scroll to where it states

Chassis Service
004 HDMI
002 Run_EDID-SEQ 0

So you change the 0 to 1 and go up to the service tab and click it and it should flash it (Write)
Next step scroll again to where it states:

Chassis Service
004 HDMI
003 CHECK_SPL_FW 0

So again change the 0 to 1 and go up to the service tab and it should flash it (Write)

Eberything should be ok as long as her see Flash come up on both values. Then you know it has written.

After you have done this process switch the TV off and turn back on and go to the service menu-------> Check that the Values have returned to 0 again and if not change it back to 0.

This is basically it mate. HDCP 2.2 is installed and ready to go. Enjoy.
post #13479 of 13500 Old 06-01-2016, 01:42 PM

What specific scenes do you guys feel the X900A excels / struggles with?
post #13480 of 13500 Old 06-04-2016, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, aside from the (fair) question whether it is a good decision to buy a Samsung UHD for our TVs (no HDR), who is actually using the Samsung UHD (or the Panasonic) and which settings do you currently use, what did you adjust?

On the Samsung I kept almost all settings on AUTO, except for the HDMI YCbCr.

On the Sony I maxed out backlight and contrast, no motionflow, no reality creation...
post #13481 of 13500 Old 06-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybris69 View Post
So, aside from the (fair) question whether it is a good decision to buy a Samsung UHD for our TVs (no HDR), who is actually using the Samsung UHD (or the Panasonic) and which settings do you currently use, what did you adjust?

On the Samsung I kept almost all settings on AUTO, except for the HDMI YCbCr.

On the Sony I maxed out backlight and contrast, no motionflow, no reality creation...
Im waiting for an Oppo UHD but interested in your feedback on how the player performs with the TV. Do you notice a difference between a bluray and UHD of the same movie?
post #13482 of 13500 Old 06-04-2016, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I do think there is a difference, but I did not have the chance, to do a side by side comparison.

But, for the same price that Sony wanted for their FMP-X5, I got 4k on YouTube, Netflix and Amazon Video... and I am able to watch UHD Blu-rays.
And the upscaling seems to be a bit better than the excellent upscaling of the X9. So I am happy with the Samsung, by now...
Mdjones9137 likes this.
post #13483 of 13500 Old 06-08-2016, 01:37 PM

OK, so I think something wierd is going on. I'm watching the 4K version of Tears of Steel through the FMP-X10 via Sony 4K video unlimited...without a VPN....in Canada. I thought it wasn't supported in Canada...?
post #13484 of 13500 Old 06-08-2016, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Black levels

Hey, I know there passes so many years from this TV Launch, But someone can tell me about the 65X9005A, this TV can reach the black levels of the HX950? They say in this review on the AVFORUM and someothers that with dynamic led control the black is 0,0 cdm/2, (Don't know why with link the post won't be posted)

"The black levels and thus the contrast ratio could be improved by using the local dimming, with black dropping to 0.007cd/m2 in Low mode and zero in standard mode where all the LEDs were turned off. Overall we found that a Low setting on the LED Dynamic Control worked best, delivering deep blacks with an impressive dynamic range without losing detail in dark scenes"

but in others reviews don't...

so?

This TV can reach or not? IF can whats the calibration for? Thanks...
post #13485 of 13500 Old 06-14-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 137
its a 3 year old tv, dude, and no one really cares about that kind of stuff after 3 years.....
post #13486 of 13500 Unread 06-22-2016, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
its a 3 year old tv, dude, and no one really cares about that kind of stuff after 3 years.....
Funny you said that, 'cause I called Sony tonight about an oddity with my 65A. Their answer, which I was expecting is "we don't support that TV anymore."

It's not used all that much, but tonight I noticed that in the "Connected Devices" category, there is an added icon for Tuner 1, which was never there before. Weird thing is, it's a duplicate signal of HDMI-1 which is the HD cable box. If you look at the picture I added, the middle icon was never there before, and when you select DVR/Cable the TV displays "Tuner 1."

In the past, if you were on HDMI-1, and you pressed the Sony remote, Channel down, it would bring you to the VHF tuner on the TV, where the digital over-the-air channels are. It seems to lock out any o-t-a channel selection when I'm on the Tuner 1 designation.

Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about? Any way to delete the "Tuner 1" Connected Device?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuner1.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1510674  
post #13487 of 13500 Unread 06-22-2016, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 5014 Post(s)
Liked: 2815
^ Lee, I don't have that in my connected devices list.
post #13488 of 13500 Unread 06-23-2016, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

For no other reason than it was bugging me, I worked on solving this mysterious new extra Tuner 1 icon. Turns out Comcast HD DVR was triggering the additional input and turning the Bravia Sync "off" removed the duplicate connected device listing.

The only downside is now the A doesn't switch to HDMI-4 automatically when the FMP X10 is turned on. All the other symptoms were corrected, so somehow Comcast changed something in an overnight update for my box.

Remaining oddity is, why the same Comcast box is connected to 900B, 900C and 940D televisions and there isn't any difference in the input designations on those units.
post #13489 of 13500 Unread 06-23-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
For no other reason than it was bugging me, I worked on solving this mysterious new extra Tuner 1 icon. Turns out Comcast HD DVR was triggering the additional input and turning the Bravia Sync "off" removed the duplicate connected device listing.

The only downside is now the A doesn't switch to HDMI-4 automatically when the FMP X10 is turned on. All the other symptoms were corrected, so somehow Comcast changed something in an overnight update for my box.

Remaining oddity is, why the same Comcast box is connected to 900B, 900C and 940D televisions and there isn't any difference in the input designations on those units.
Jeez, Lee, how many displays do you have?
post #13490 of 13500 Unread 06-23-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought the 65/900A in May 2013. The other three were provided to me for evaluation. I had to make up a portion of the difference when I requested the 75/940.

I thought you knew that Jerry? That is what caused all the tension between HDTVAV and myself. (Dare I mention his name?)
post #13491 of 13500 Unread 06-23-2016, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

Probably ****tier firmware on the 900A
Amazing how a 3 year old tv "isn't supported" anymore..
I'm done with Sony..
post #13492 of 13500 Unread 06-28-2016, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
AustinJerry,

Can you provide me your calibration for your TV (xbr65x900a), I did it 3 years ago but now all my settings got erased. I was experimenting with some stuff
post #13493 of 13500 Unread 06-28-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Killz View Post
AustinJerry,

Can you provide me your calibration for your TV (xbr65x900a), I did it 3 years ago but now all my settings got erased. I was experimenting with some stuff
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._2014-11-8.pdf
post #13494 of 13500 Unread 06-28-2016, 01:55 PM

Link does not work for some reason. Does anyone have the file to share with me?
post #13495 of 13500 Unread 06-28-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Killz View Post
Link does not work for some reason. Does anyone have the file to share with me?
I just tried it, and it works just fine. What error are you getting? It is a PDF file, so I am assuming you are on a system than can open PDF files?
post #13496 of 13500 Unread 06-28-2016, 02:10 PM

Sorry, I'm at work, it's probably my work blocking it. I'll download tonight. Thanks AustinJerry
post #13497 of 13500 Unread 06-28-2016, 02:51 PM

Have any of you watched Downton Abbey on this TV? My wife has been watching it and I've been regularly amazed at the colors and sharpness the TV affords the signal. It seems to have been shot on a very high quality film camera.
post #13498 of 13500 Unread Yesterday, 05:57 PM

Hello, I'm looking for a little guidance with my 65" X900A. I'm going to be getting a new receiver that will do 4K passthrough. I'll also be getting an Xbox One S that will be able to play 4K Blu-rays.

I've tried to catch up a bit in this thread on the HDMI standards and what input port to use on the X900A, etc. Should I put the new receiver output into HDMI 4 now? I think I have my current setup in HDMI 2.

What am I missing out on with this set vs. the newer models?

Thanks for any help.
post #13499 of 13500 Unread Yesterday, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewithquestions View Post
Hello, I'm looking for a little guidance with my 65" X900A. I'm going to be getting a new receiver that will do 4K passthrough. I'll also be getting an Xbox One S that will be able to play 4K Blu-rays.

I've tried to catch up a bit in this thread on the HDMI standards and what input port to use on the X900A, etc. Should I put the new receiver output into HDMI 4 now? I think I have my current setup in HDMI 2.

What am I missing out on with this set vs. the newer models?

Thanks for any help.
The only HDMI port on the X900A that is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant is port 4. Any source component that requires HDCP content protection must be connected to HDMI4. As long as your new AVR supports HDCP, then you can use it for HDMI switching, and connect it to port 4 on the X900A.

I still have my X900A, although I have upgraded my main viewing room to the 75X940D. The X900A still has a superb picture--the only thing you are missing out on is HDR. And, of course, the X900A does not have native 4K streaming apps like the newer sets. But purely from a PQ perspective, you have a fine set, and I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace it. And if you like 3D, you can't beat passive 3D.
bslep likes this.
post #13500 of 13500 Unread Today, 07:17 AM

Quote:
The only HDMI port on the X900A that is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant is port 4. Any source component that requires HDCP content protection must be connected to HDMI4. As long as your new AVR supports HDCP, then you can use it for HDMI switching, and connect it to port 4 on the X900A.

I still have my X900A, although I have upgraded my main viewing room to the 75X940D. The X900A still has a superb picture--the only thing you are missing out on is HDR. And, of course, the X900A does not have native 4K streaming apps like the newer sets. But purely from a PQ perspective, you have a fine set, and I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace it. And if you like 3D, you can't beat passive 3D.
Thanks AustinJerry. That helps a lot.

I'm very interested in the same set you now have but will likely have to wait on an upgrade. I'll start with the AVR first and see how that goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread