Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 452 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 898Likes

post #13531 of 13531 Old Today, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
Xbox One S with XBR-65X900A

Last night I replaced my Xbox One with a XBox One S. While it works, I have run into a few challenges.

My XBR-65X900A came from the factory with HDCP 2.2 on HDMI 4 (I have been using a Roku 4 successfully with Amazon 4K on this input so I know for sure that it works).

Right now I am using an older receiver (STR-DN1040) which annoyingly I purchased specifically as it supports 4K switching, but of course it came out before HDCP 2.2 so it is basically useless for switching actual 4K sources. Because of this, I have connected the Xbox One S directly to HDMI 4 on the TV. I am using a Sony flat HDMI "High Speed" cable that supports ARC and Ethernet.

- The Xbox One S does work in 4K on the HDMI4 connection. When I put the Xbox One S into 4K output mode, everything from the XBOS is upscaled to 4K. Everything. Interestingly, on the XBOS main menu the upscaler is doing a better job with the menu text than the built-in scalar in the TV. For example, a large capital "V" showed more staircasing if I set the XBOS to 1080p output (i.e. the TV upscales to 4K) than if I set the XBOS to 4K output. Now, back to "everything" - even when watching a 1080p Blu-ray disc, the XBOS upscales to 4K - it does not switch back to 1080p for disc playback. I don't actually know if the XBOS upscaler will be better for 1080p movies than the 65X900A upscaler, so I am not sure if that is a good thing or not. But what is does do is stop any annoying TV resolution switches from happening, so no more black screens for a few seconds like happens on my Roku 4 when it goes back and forth between it's native 1080p app menus and a 4K video stream.

- My AVR is connected to HDMI1, and the ARC is limiting the Xbox One S on HDMI 4 to stereo playback for some reason - I cannot force the Xbox One S into any surround modes for this reason, and I cannot activate bitstreaming. This is strange as when I had the Roku 4 on HDMI4 it could bitstream the older DD5.1 format back to the receiver through ARC. Apparently I will only be able to fix this problem by buying a new AVR (likely a STR-DN1070) which can pass through HDCP 2.2 and plugging my Xbox One S into that. The AVR would then be plugged into HDMI 4. But if my AVR is connected to HDMI 4, will it be able to receive ARC, as ARC is supported only on HDMI 1 on the 65X900A?

- The really bad news is that this TV will never support 4K gaming, probably on this or any future console. On the Xbox One S under "4K TV Details", the XBOS reports that while the TV does support "4K UHD (60Hz)", it also lists that it:
"
TV does NOT support (movies & TV):
4K 10-bit at 24Hz
4K 10-bit at 50Hz
4K 10-bit at 60Hz
HDR10 video

TV does NOT support (playing games):
Your TV setup does not support 4K 10-bit at 60Hz. You won't be able to play games at 4K.
Your TV setup doesn't support HDR10 for gaming. Games won't be shown in HDR
"

I went to the Sony support site and pulled up the specs from the latest firmware for the 65X900a. It states the following:
"Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility (Applies to 4K models only)
Supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit)"

Microsoft's support site lists on a page entitled "4K on Xbox One S technical requirements":
"
TV resolution
Your TV must support the following requirements in order to upscale the system and non-native content to 4K:

Feature
Requirements
4K @ 60 Hz
Resolution: 3840 x 2160p
Refresh rate: 60 Hz

Watching movies & TV
Your TV must support the following requirements to switch to specific 4K or HDR modes on demand for movie and TV content:

Feature
Requirements
4K @ 24 Hz
Refresh rate: 24 Hz
Color depth: 30 bits per pixel (10-bit)
Pixel encoding: 4:4:4
4K @ 50 Hz
Refresh rate: 50 Hz
Pixel encoding: 4:2:0
4K @ 60 Hz
HDR
Your TV must support the HDR10 media profile:
  • BT2020 color space or gamut
  • High Dynamic Range (ST2084)
Some TV manufacturers may call this something else. For example, "HDR Premium" or "Ultra HD Premium."

Playing games

Your TV must support the following requirements to switch to 4K or HDR on demand for games:

Feature
Requirements
4K @ 60 Hz
HDR
Your TV must support the HDR10 media profile:
  • BT2020 color space or gamut
  • High Dynamic Range (ST2084)
Some TV manufacturers may call this something else. For example, "HDR Premium" or "Ultra HD Premium."

"

NOTICE how all of the modes in the technical requirements state that 10-bit color depth is required, while the Sony support site states that (at least at 60P) only 8-bit is supported.

I now realize that while I did successfully get upscaling of the Xbox One S menus and games and 1080p Blu-Ray video to work fine in 4K. I have played one Netflix 4K video from the app on the XBox One S and it played fine. I have not yet tested a true 4K Blu-Ray disc yet. My assumption is that as long as the source material is in 8-bit I will be fine. I don't know how common 10-bit sources are, yet.

BUT, the terrible news is that appears this TV will apparently never be compatible with 4K gaming (this console, and more importantly future actual 4K gaming consoles) as it does not support the proper modes. That sucks....
Don't know if this makes any difference but when using 4k resolutions with this TV, like using a computer, it won't display 2160p (like it does with 1080p) when pressing display but it will display 3840x2160p.
In 1080p mode if you change the bit depth in Nvidia Control panel it will show 10bit, 12bit when pressing display.
The same won't work with 4k resolutions.

Still, I'm able to switch from 8 bit to 12 bpc @ 60hz.
Of course limited to 4:2:0 because of chroma subsampling needed for this frequency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page