Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 453 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 898Likes

post #13561 of 13564 Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedabomb View Post
You can buy an x1 cheap on ebay and see what happens. They are going for between 40-60 bucks now
I could ask a friend for a 4k player and try to play secure content. However just wanted to see if there's a way to find out without an external player.

My HDMI 4 port is towards the lower right side, back of the TV. Not in between HDMI1 & HDMI3.

As per sony UK customer support, this suggests that I need board upgrade, however I wanted to check with experts on here.

I have a 4/5 yr extended warranty with JB in Sydney, I will escalate this with the store that the 1st gen 4k TV cant even play recent 4k content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13562 of 13564 Old Today, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That's great if you know someone with a 4k player. I'm the only person I know who's a technology addict. I debated on sending back the x1 but it was so cheap I didn't care.
post #13563 of 13564 Old Today, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am an owner of the XBR 65x900A since July 2013 and I bought their media player. Have watched many movies with it using the HDMI 4 input.
However, after reading the posts, I checked the "activation" link, and my model does not support HDCP so I have an appt. with Sony authorized service tech in early Oct. to get the white glove treatment to set up the media player!
I presume this is to install the chip for HDCP 2.2 of course, but why does the media player work (hence I never knew about this inability)?
I always keep both TV and Media Player up to date with firmware and have the latest.

Also, I have a recent issue when I acquired a DirecTV 4k capability.
I could send that signal through to HDMI 4 (it works), but then I must physically pull out the Media Player output from HDMI 1 output (HDMI 2 out goes to my Marantz 8802a for audio processing.
The Marantz passes through 4k inputs, so I send the DirecTV out to the Marantz and then the Marantz to HDMI 4 input. This works fine.

However, when I send the Media Player HDMI1 output (which should be HDCP 2.2??) to the Marantz, the Media Player does not work even though the 4k signal is passed through. Thus, I still have to physically switch the HDMI cables when I want to use the Media Player.

Could this be due to the fact that I might not have HDCP 2.2? If so, should the "activation" correct this, or am I permanently stuck physically switching HDMI cables. There must be an HDMI switch (but never had to use one before).
post #13564 of 13564 Old Today, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 5455 Post(s)
Liked: 3105
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandia View Post
I am an owner of the XBR 65x900A since July 2013 and I bought their media player. Have watched many movies with it using the HDMI 4 input.
However, after reading the posts, I checked the "activation" link, and my model does not support HDCP so I have an appt. with Sony authorized service tech in early Oct. to get the white glove treatment to set up the media player!
I presume this is to install the chip for HDCP 2.2 of course, but why does the media player work (hence I never knew about this inability)?
I always keep both TV and Media Player up to date with firmware and have the latest.

Also, I have a recent issue when I acquired a DirecTV 4k capability.
I could send that signal through to HDMI 4 (it works), but then I must physically pull out the Media Player output from HDMI 1 output (HDMI 2 out goes to my Marantz 8802a for audio processing.
The Marantz passes through 4k inputs, so I send the DirecTV out to the Marantz and then the Marantz to HDMI 4 input. This works fine.

However, when I send the Media Player HDMI1 output (which should be HDCP 2.2??) to the Marantz, the Media Player does not work even though the 4k signal is passed through. Thus, I still have to physically switch the HDMI cables when I want to use the Media Player.

Could this be due to the fact that I might not have HDCP 2.2? If so, should the "activation" correct this, or am I permanently stuck physically switching HDMI cables. There must be an HDMI switch (but never had to use one before).
Something doesn't sound right here. First of all, the Sony media player would not work on HDMI4 unless your TV supports both HDMI2.0 and HDCP2.2. If you are having to pay for the Sony service call, I would think twice, because it should not be necessary.

Second, if your AVR supports 4K and HDCP2.2, then your hookup should work. I have a Marantz 8802A, and my FMP-X10 player is connected to the Marantz, and the Marantz is connected to HDMI4. It works just fine. I would do some more experimenting. First, try a different cable. Second, make sure the player is configured to output both video and audio from its primary HDMI output (not the secondary HDMI, which was for audio only). Finally, make sure the AVR is not up-scaling the signal from the player (turn up-scaling off). There must be a simple reason why your setup isn't working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread