Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 454 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 904Likes

Old 11-13-2016, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The panel is certainly capable of HDR. The problem is the TV's HDMI version. HDR requires HDMI 2.0a or greater. Unfortunately this TV has HDMI 2.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2016, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAilsby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ4life View Post
The X900A does not have a 12-bit panel. In fact, that I know of, other than maybe the Z9D I don't think any current flagship has a native 12-bit panel either. It does have a native 10-bit panel, which at the time was actually pretty uncommon.
Thanks for confirming that for me. So do you think this TV should accept a 2160p RGB signal from the PS4 Pro? Surely if its a 10-bit Panel it should be able to accept it?

Also if its a 10-bit panel shouldnt it be capable of HDR? Or was the HDR standard set after the manufacture of this TV? Is i a hardware issue?

Thanks.
I'm not familiar with how the different color options affect the amount of data transfered over HDMI. That is likely the main limitation: these TVs don't have the full 18 GB/S of HDMI 2.0 if I recall correctly.

Also, while the TV might have support for a wider color gamut range (a component of HDR), it does not support the HDR standards necessary to make effective use of those capabilities. Those came a little while after our TV was manufactured.

I'm way out of my depth here, but I think the TV probably has the necessary bones to be able to showcase HDR: reasonably high brightness and a wider-than-normal color range, although it's edge lit nature and limited use of local dimming would likely make it pretty blotchy if showcasing HDR content. I think it would be HDR-lite in that implementation, which sort of defeats the purpose and wouldn't really be worth it, IMO.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hi,

I currently have my PS4 Pro connected to my KD-65X9004A (thats what its called here in New Zealand).

My current output settings from the PS4 Pro are as follows:

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 - 60Hz
Colour Format: YUV420
HDR on your TV: Not Supported
HDCP: 1.4

The TV not having HDCP 2.2 does not affect the ability to get games at 4k/60FPS, you can turn off HDCP 2.2 altogether if you like.

The only thing i cant figure out is how to get the Colour Format to change to: RGB, i have tried messing around with all the options on the TV for the HDMI settings and cant figure out how to do this? Any ideas?

Would i be right in thinking that this TV has a 12-Bit panel? if thats the case then i dont think HDMI 2.0 can support 4K/60hz RGB Colour Format on a 12-bit panel? Im trying to wrap my head round all of this and its getting quite confusing. Any insight would be helpful.

Cheers
hi there,

what HDMI port you are using for the PS4 pro?

i think i have the same model (KD-65X9004A)

Thanks

Sony XBR-65X9004A 4K - Toshiba Qosmio i7 - PS3 - PS4 - Sony BDV-E6100 Home Theater - Sony Xperia Z1-Sony HDR GW 77v -  IPad Air - IPad Mini Retina - Macbook Pro Retina - Iphone 5S  - Lenovo Idea Pad S - Dre Beats Studio - Dre Beats Pill

Old 11-14-2016, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabidox View Post
hi there,

what HDMI port you are using for the PS4 pro?

i think i have the same model (KD-65X9004A)

Thanks
Hi,

I currently have the PS4 Pro connected to the tv using HDMI 1 however I have also tried it on the other HDMI ports and get the same results, they all appear to be exactly the same.

To be honest I was kind of surprised that the Pro just detected the settings itself considering the tv is a few years old now, I've heard of so many people having problems with the Pro on current 2015/2016 TVs. I was really worried that I wouldn't get 4K/60FPS and low and behold it picked it up straight away.

Now if only I could figure out how to get the Pro to output 2160p RGB to the tv instead of YUV420 then that would be great, so far no luck

cheers
Sabidox likes this.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Hi,

I currently have the PS4 Pro connected to the tv using HDMI 1 however I have also tried it on the other HDMI ports and get the same results, they all appear to be exactly the same.

To be honest I was kind of surprised that the Pro just detected the settings itself considering the tv is a few years old now, I've heard of so many people having problems with the Pro on current 2015/2016 TVs. I was really worried that I wouldn't get 4K/60FPS and low and behold it picked it up straight away.

Now if only I could figure out how to get the Pro to output 2160p RGB to the tv instead of YUV420 then that would be great, so far no luck

cheers
You can't output RGB.
When the PS4 output 4k @ 60hz, since it can't do the 18gb/s it's doing chroma subsampling, that means it's outputing 4:2:0.
It can't output 4:4:4 @ 60hz, only 24hz and 30hz.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post
You can't output RGB.
When the PS4 output 4k @ 60hz, since it can't do the 18gb/s it's doing chroma subsampling, that means it's outputing 4:2:0.
The attached screenshot is from the PS4 Pro's Video Output Settings which shows it can output 2160p RGB at 60hz - This is not on my TV but it shows the Pro is capable of doing it.

Im just trying to understand why i cannot get my TV to output RGB, i can only get YUV420 - Is this a hardware limitation on the TV? Do you need HDMI 2.0a to get RGB?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HrM7iD4.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1770353  
Old 11-14-2016, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Is BT.2020 better than xvcolor?I don't any better
Old 11-14-2016, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post
You can't output RGB.
The attached screenshot is from the PS4 Pro's Video Output Settings which shows it can output 2160p RGB at 60hz - This is not on my TV but it shows the Pro is capable of doing it.

Im just trying to understand why i cannot get my TV to output RGB, i can only get YUV420 - Is this a hardware limitation on the TV? Do you need HDMI 2.0a to get RGB?

Thanks.
The TV does not support RGB at 60hz. It's stated within the technical specifications of the TV on the Sony website.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi all..

I have an Iphone 7 Plus on which I recorded 4K Video. What is the best way to play the 4k Video into my 900a ?

Any ideas?

I tried googling it and no luck

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2016, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 43
What should the dynamic range be set to? Full or Limited? I only use HDMI 1, and my Xbox One is connected to that, and run my dish hopper off that. I've read to keep it limited....

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Bose Soundtouch 130 soundbar || Synology DS716+ NAS || XBOX One ||

Xbox Live : BoDEAN
Old 11-19-2016, 07:40 PM

From what I understand only port 4 is compatible with PS4 Pro and x10. (hdcp 2.2 i believe)

Is there a splitter in the market to split port 4 into more ports?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2016, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by luism2008 View Post
Hi all..

I have an Iphone 7 Plus on which I recorded 4K Video. What is the best way to play the 4k Video into my 900a ?

Any ideas?

I tried googling it and no luck

Thanks!
Connect your mac or PC to your tv and set the resolution to 4K (requires a video card or integrated graphics that support 4K). Use iTunes to download the videos to your mac or PC and then play them.
luism2008 likes this.

Sony XBR-75Z9D | Oppo BDP-203 and 103D | UBD-K8500
Mirage OMD-28 (LR) | OMD-C2 (C) | OMD-5 (SS, FH, RH)
Yamaha CX-A5100 | NAD T973 x 2
SVS PB12Plus/2 | Dayton UM18-22 Sealed x2 w/ iNuke 6000DSP
Monster Power HTPS 2000
Old 11-27-2016, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
So my wife scratched the screen on our 900a. She won't admit it or say how. But it's just us two and I would have freaked out if I did it. There was a mark that wiped off leaving a fine scratch. Can't see it when the tv is on and only when light hits it at an angle when it's off. Any thoughts on removing it permanently? It's in the middle of the screen. Mostly annoys me knowing it's there.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/AVS%20posts/XBR-X900%20Settings_2014-11-8.pdf
Hi. Would you please upload the file again? Dropbox says it's not there. Thank you!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread

Hey guys I have this TV and am about to connect a PS4Pro up to it. Do we have HDR and HDCP2.2 support on HDMI 4 anyone know?
Old 12-24-2016, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread

Deleted to avoid confusion

Last edited by Damon Cooper; 12-24-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Cooper View Post
I assume you guys have seen this FW update? https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-d...os_group_id=18
that firmware is NOT for this tv..the 850A is a different tv
Old 12-26-2016, 11:29 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Cooper View Post
Hey guys I have this TV and am about to connect a PS4Pro up to it. Do we have HDR and HDCP2.2 support on HDMI 4 anyone know?
Hello, no HDR and HDCP 2.2 only works on some TVs on the HDMI 4 input. Sony offered to update the hardware for this TV in order for it to be HDCP 2.2 compliant but only in the States. My set didn't came with HDCP 2.2 and since I don't live in the States I have to use de HD Fury Integral to bypass it.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:15 AM

Hi all,

I've just bought a KD-55X900A from a friend. He never ended up playing any 4K content through it.

I know that the native netflix player doesn't do 4K and I've read something suggesting I need to get a 4K Ultra HD Media Player to get 4K content.

If i was to play in a 4K compatible device like a PS4 Pro or Sky UHD directly in to the screen would that show 4K content or do I need something else?

Sorry for the extremely n00b question!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 139
the only way to play 4k on this tv is via hdmi 4, assuming your hdmi port 4 has the upgraded hardware/firmware
all you need to know is in this thread
Old 12-29-2016, 08:01 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6635 Post(s)
Liked: 3662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Vinten View Post
Hi all,

I've just bought a KD-55X900A from a friend. He never ended up playing any 4K content through it.

I know that the native netflix player doesn't do 4K and I've read something suggesting I need to get a 4K Ultra HD Media Player to get 4K content.

If i was to play in a 4K compatible device like a PS4 Pro or Sky UHD directly in to the screen would that show 4K content or do I need something else?

Sorry for the extremely n00b question!
If you check the Sony FMP-X10 thread, several owners are talking about selling their players at a low price. However, a 4K disk player may be a better investment (I have both, so I speak from experience). You can connect any 4K device to HDMI4 of this display, including the new 4K disk players. Be advised that very early versions of this display shipped with HDMI4 that had not been upgraded to HDCP2.2, which is required for 4K sources. IOW, make sure the device you purchase has a solid return policy until you get it tested out to make sure it works.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
If you check the Sony FMP-X10 thread, several owners are talking about selling their players at a low price. However, a 4K disk player may be a better investment (I have both, so I speak from experience). You can connect any 4K device to HDMI4 of this display, including the new 4K disk players. Be advised that very early versions of this display shipped with HDMI4 that had not been upgraded to HDCP2.2, which is required for 4K sources. IOW, make sure the device you purchase has a solid return policy until you get it tested out to make sure it works.
Thanks for the replies!

I doubt that the HDMI4 has had the hardware upgraded - is there any way of checking? If it hasn't, is it an easy upgrade?
Old 12-29-2016, 12:40 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6635 Post(s)
Liked: 3662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Vinten View Post
Thanks for the replies!

I doubt that the HDMI4 has had the hardware upgraded - is there any way of checking? If it hasn't, is it an easy upgrade?
Earlier in this thread there are descriptions of the physical appearance of what the rear of the TV looks like after the HDMI4 upgrade. The physical location of the connection changes with the upgrade. Unfortunately, I don't recall the specifics, but you should be able to find the posts and pics. The upgrade requires a Sony service call, which I am sure you can receive a quote in advance.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:19 PM

Is it possible to download a 4k video to an usb and play on the tv? Even if its not port 4?

If so what video-c was used or how was it recorded..

Thanks
Old Today, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVAzteca View Post
Oy vey! Calling Sony is like calling CrazyTown.

Finally got around to calling Sony Support about my XBR. Things to expect:

1. They will have you go through standard troubleshooting procedures like picture reset and factory reset. Yes, even though I explained there was nothing wrong with the LCD panel.

2. They will take forever to get your contact and purchase info squared away. Total time on phone for the preliminary call was 1 hour and a couple minutes.

3. Once your case is escalated to the next tier of support, expect to start the contact and purchasing info gathering process all over again.

4. Make sure you ask for your support case number. Neither agent I spoke with today offered it to me.

5. Expect computer issues. Although it was the start of the workday there at the Support Center, the second tier agent told me they were having computer problems. I had to run errands and since he had offered to call me back in two hours, I took him up on the offer.

6. The agent (or at least in this case this particular agent) won't call you back. I gave them an extra 90 min to get their sh*t together. No call back, no email status report. Earth could have been hit by a meteor, and there never would have been a record of me calling and telling Sony that even though I paid $7000 for this amazing piece of technology I was still receiving crappy service!

7. If you call Sony Support back, cut to the chase and give the agent your support case number. Then be prepared to get mad.

8. Be prepared to give the agent both barrels for poor service. I manage an IT support desk for a Fortune 500 company. If service sucks, say it does. Don't let them get away with wasting your time. You're not calling the DMV!

The third agent informed me that the reason I wasn't given a call back was that my case had been escalated. By then I had lost it and told the agent "Look buddy, your customers are not mind readers. If you had emailed or left a message it would not have been necessary to waste your or my time....

9. Be patient. I didn't want to rush the process and be the rude American. I asked for Sony 4K TV support and was told by the agent that they are offshore in the Philippines. Having been on the other side of these calls, I know that if I'm a jerk...my ticket will "get lost."

Long story short, I'm supposed to get a call in 48 hours from Tier 3 support. I figure that will be next Tuesday due to the long weekend in the US. I'll keep everybody updated. Hopefully the issue my 4K had with the panels separating doesn't begin to happen to others. If so, just be prepared to deal with Sony Customer Support!
Ahhh, a quick update on my 65X900A. With projects and holidays, I finally got around to calling Sony and re-opening my support case a couple of weeks ago. Nine months had gone by and my XBR's panel had developed even worse panel separation (see pictures). Also got some nasty lines across the front that you can see in the pictures.

The good thing was that maybe Sony had finally heard or read about us complaining about their terrible customer support. This round, I went away feeling like they really wanted to help me out w/this flaking panel. The support agent was a complete professional. Explained all the steps to me (even though I had to supply their techs w/even more pictures of the panel), totally apologetic about placing me on hold as he checked on my case, etc. Wow! Hell had frozen over and Sony was finally remembering that I wasn't the failure but their product was.

Long story short, I've lost my 65X900A. Sony at first tried to ditch a B series on me, but I explained to the support agent that it didn't feature elephant ear type speakers. That was my opportunity to sneak in my request for an HDR capable panel. What I received today was the XBR-65X930D. I'll continue to monitor this group as well as my new D thread.

It's only been a few hours but I already miss my old remote. The D series remote is horrible and requires exact lineup to the IR port. Also, not wild about the lumbering Android OS. Wi-fi is faster and yes HDR is great! Hope this post is helpful to some of you.

*Almost forgot to mention, the support agent actually admitted that their engineers were aware of a batch of panels that had experienced "bad panel lamination issues." I almost asked him to repeat that since I wasn't accustomed to hearing a tech confess that there had actually been a problem!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9488.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1987513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9491.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1987521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9492.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1987529  

Last edited by TVAzteca; Today at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv