Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Iraqgsm - That was just bluffing indeed - The entirety of 4K market prices have dropped this month (Sony, Samsung, LG, Toshiba) and they only will go lower from here but certainly not back up. The SONY adjustment was a permanent change.
post #1353 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Liked: 10
I have seen the current Sony and Sharp 4K TV accept an 4K @ 60fps video feed.
It was really sweet looking.
post #1354 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgsm View Post

I was at hhgregg this morning to convince wife of buying 65 instead of 55 and the rep there as usual told me to pull the trigger on it as the $5499 will expire on the 7th and price will back to its original price; was that just bluffing anybody.
problem paycheck will be here end of the month when I want to buy the tv.
Well that price is high by the way, but as far as I hear, that is a price drop and not a sale. The rep is incorrect.
post #1355 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanttv View Post

I have seen the current Sony and Sharp 4K TV accept an 4K @ 60fps video feed.
It was really sweet looking.

May I ask how you seen this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Hawkmoon
post #1356 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 12:05 PM

I did some more messing around with the Media Player now that the Video Service is up and I am still not sure how in the hell they are pulling some of this stuff off. In the Settings Menu there is an option called "Auto Download" and the suggest that it be on the "on" position. The description says "To watch recommended titles immediately after purchasing, please set to the "ON". Otherwise, you will wait for the title to download after purchasing. Only recommended content is automatically downloaded.".

When going through the movies, there is nothing that indicates which movie is considered "recommended". I first thought it was the movies listed as "Featured" but that is not the case. What I found was that clicking on any movie it will come up as "Purchase" or "Download & Purchase". Ones that say "Purchase" are the recommended content and those apparently are pre-download to your player. It is the same for a preview. Most movies say "Play Preview" but some say "Download Preview".

The thing is, there are a lot of movies that have the designation "Purchase" which means they are already downloaded, but the memory footprint of how much memory you have used does not add up. I downloaded Philadelphia and prior to doing this my HDD showed I had 610gb of used space. Philadelphia was showing "Purchase" only, so based on above it should have already been downloaded. As soon as I hit purchase and it processed the payment it said it was ready to watch. I then immediately checked the used space and it increased by about 44gb to 654gb used. I then checked the download speed and it was not downloading anything...the movie just took up 44gb of more space but nothing downloaded???

I am not sure how they are doing this. I did notice that the amount of space the is reserved for "System" reduced. It is represented on a colored bar graph where it shows in one color how much space is used for "System" and the other color is for the "user" amount of space used. After I purchased the movie, the System space part of the graph reduced. So it can be that it downloads and places these movies in that "system" space, but the odd thing is there are a lot of movies that are flagged as "purchase" instead of "purchase and download" and all of them combined would take a lot more space than what is showing up in the settings menu.

Regardless, it is nice to be able to purchase select movies and they be immediately available. They do need to flag them some how from the main menu so you know which ones are recommended without having to click on each one to see if it says "Purchase" or "Purchase and Download".

-Hawkmoon
post #1357 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:

I was at hhgregg this morning to convince wife of buying 65 instead of 55 and the rep there as usual told me to pull the trigger on it as the $5499 will expire on the 7th and price will back to its original price; was that just bluffing anybody.

problem paycheck will be here end of the month when I want to buy the tv.

Like someone above mentioned, The price drop is just that, a price drop. That is the new price for the sets. I am sure that there will be sales on them even at these new price point's, like any T.V., but it seems like that sales person was trying to get you to the sale now by telling you that it would go back up in price.

-Hawkmoon
post #1358 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 02:19 PM

The way I understand how the 4k media server works is that if it is set to auto download it download any new content from the 4K service. Also it has the ability to auto delete content if you haven't watch or paid for content to make space for more 4k content. It has a built in 2Tb HDD and external HDD can be supported.
post #1359 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 02:32 PM

thanks for clearing that
post #1360 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

Seriously man, get a life. This is an owner's thread, not a thread to dump on 4K in general, and this set in particular.

It's sad that you go from thread to thread, spreading false information and forcing your opinions on people who really don't want to hear them. If you don't have anything to contribute regarding the discussion of this TV, think twice before posting.

And, your information truly is wrong. You can try to pass off previously-stated "fact" as opinion when you're called out on it and corrected, but I think the majority of people in this thread can see through your pathetic attempts to bash the technology.
Brian we don't agree on everything, you said I don't like 4k that's not true, I said from the beginning is to wait,when the full content comes out.
post #1361 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

May I ask how you seen this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Where I work there was a demonstration showing 4K @ 60 fps via cable and fiber lines to the Sony and Sharp.
post #1362 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Where I work there was a demonstration showing 4K @ 60 fps via cable and fiber lines to the Sony and Sharp.
So how did it look to you?
post #1363 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 172
From SEN site, which I think is already outdated (or incorrect) info:

Video Unlimited 4K: Watching bonus content or renting and purchasing 4K movies

Renting or purchasing 4K movies requires the full-download of content before playback can be started. Streaming 4K content is not available at this time. Please be aware that due to the ultra-high definition, 4K movies are big and a typical movie can take anywhere from 8 to 50 hours to download, depending on the network connection speed*. However, to get you started, your 4K media player comes pre-loaded with 10 full-length bonus movies out of the box, as well as over 60 pre-loaded movies and a variety of short-form videos are also included.

To summarize, here is how you can access the various 4K movies, TV show and shorts from your 4K Ultra HD Media Player:

1. Bonus out-of-the box 4K content: These 4K video titles have been pre-loaded onto the 4K Ultra HD Media Player’s internal HDD prior to shipment. You can watch any of these titles for free.

2. Pre-loaded 4K content**: To help you skip download times, these 4K video titles have also been pre-loaded onto the 4K Ultra HD Media Player’s internal HDD prior to shipment, however they are only available for rent or purchase.

3. Video Unlimited 4K store content: We are adding new 4K content all the time. Simply check out the store from your 4K Ultra HD Media Player to preview available titles. After renting or purchasing, the content will need to be fully downloaded before viewing.

*By default your 4K Ultra HD Media Player is set to “Auto Download”, which means all our recommended content is automatically downloaded in the background.

**You can browse pre-loaded movies in the “Featured 4K Videos” category (Except “coming soon” titles).

More FAQ here:
http://us.support.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/app/answers/list/kw/4k%20player/sno/1/search/1/session/L3RpbWUvMTM3ODE2NjU3Mi9zaWQvNm0yY0Vsemw%3D
post #1364 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 05:22 PM

yesright,The YouTube app in the TV does not allow one to select the resolution. thanks kUH9
post #1365 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

So how did it look to you?
The level of details and color were awesome. In felt like I was in the scenes a couple of times kinda like a soap opera effect but without the artifacts. The best picture I have ever scene!
post #1366 of 10863 Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:

The level of details and color were awesome. In felt like I was in the scenes a couple of times kinda like a soap opera effect but without the artifacts. The best picture I have ever scene!

What was it that you were watching? It is interesting that this is working which would mean the Sony set had to have HDMI 2.0 in order to get 60fps at 4k resolution.

-Hawkmoon
post #1367 of 10863 Old 09-03-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:

What was it that you were watching? It is interesting that this is working which would mean the Sony set had to have HDMI 2.0 in order to get 60fps at 4k resolution.

Hello Hawkmoon, Are you needing any assistance with your current 4k TV? If so please give us a brief description of the problem and we will try our best to get back to you with a response ASAP. Thanks! -Amanda M
post #1368 of 10863 Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyListens View Post

Hello Hawkmoon, Are you needing any assistance with your current 4k TV? If so please give us a brief description of the problem and we will try our best to get back to you with a response ASAP. Thanks! -Amanda M

Hi Amanda-

I am not having any issues with my set. I am just curious what Sony is going to do for current owners when the HDMI 2.0 standard comes out.

-Hawkmoon
post #1369 of 10863 Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Hi Amanda-

I am not having any issues with my set. I am just curious what Sony is going to do for current owners when the HDMI 2.0 standard comes out.

I want to know too
post #1370 of 10863 Old 09-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:

I want to know too i'm on the edge of buying or waiting.

Sony does have a press conference tomorrow morning at 10AM EST. It is for the big show in Berlin, the IFA press conference is going to be streamed at the following link:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/sony-ifa/

Hopefully we will get some news from the show.

-Hawkmoon
post #1371 of 10863 Old 09-03-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Sony does have a press conference tomorrow morning at 10AM EST. It is for the big show in Berlin, the IFA press conference is going to be streamed at the following link:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/sony-ifa/

Hopefully we will get some news from the show.

you were a lot help thanks
post #1372 of 10863 Old 09-03-2013, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/hdmi-2-201309033290.htm

hopefully there will be good news! Does anybody know if sony will upgrade the hdmi board for the xbr900a models?
post #1373 of 10863 Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 629
I'm hoping that the speaker-less models scheduled for around October release will incorporate the new HDMI 2.0.

BTW, will HDMI 2.0 require new cables as well?
post #1374 of 10863 Old 09-03-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I'm hoping that the speaker-less models scheduled for around October release will incorporate the new HDMI 2.0.

Yes, I believe so.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #1375 of 10863 Old 09-03-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Yes, I believe so.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information. There has been nothing to suggest that will be the case.
wase4711 likes this.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #1376 of 10863 Old 09-03-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm curious as to how this was hooked up. Since neither TV supports the new HDMI standard yet.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #1377 of 10863 Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

2014 and beyond you should see Full local dimming and 2.0 HDMI and 4k thats what im waiting for.

While 4K & HDMI 2.0 are a given, the prevalence of full array local dimming is not likely to change. It is still a technology that significantly raises the cost of manufacturing and severely limits their ability to make the paper-thin televisions that manufacturers think people so desperately want. There may be a single set, but I'd be surprised to see any more than that(not counting the potential for LG to upgrade their current 4K model). The LG is the only FALD set on the market and will not launch with HDMI 2.0. If LG gets an upgrade path in place, that will be the first model. That said, LG has announced no plans to do so. I think they likely will, but they have said nothing about it.

Trust me that FALD is not a high priority for most major television manufacturers. Personally, I think it should be, but it is not.

post #1378 of 10863 Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did some more messing around with the Media Player now that the Video Service is up and I am still not sure how in the hell they are pulling some of this stuff off. In the Settings Menu there is an option called "Auto Download" and the suggest that it be on the "on" position. The description says "To watch recommended titles immediately after purchasing, please set to the "ON". Otherwise, you will wait for the title to download after purchasing. Only recommended content is automatically downloaded.".

When going through the movies, there is nothing that indicates which movie is considered "recommended". I first thought it was the movies listed as "Featured" but that is not the case. What I found was that clicking on any movie it will come up as "Purchase" or "Download & Purchase". Ones that say "Purchase" are the recommended content and those apparently are pre-download to your player. It is the same for a preview. Most movies say "Play Preview" but some say "Download Preview".

The thing is, there are a lot of movies that have the designation "Purchase" which means they are already downloaded, but the memory footprint of how much memory you have used does not add up. I downloaded Philadelphia and prior to doing this my HDD showed I had 610gb of used space. Philadelphia was showing "Purchase" only, so based on above it should have already been downloaded. As soon as I hit purchase and it processed the payment it said it was ready to watch. I then immediately checked the used space and it increased by about 44gb to 654gb used. I then checked the download speed and it was not downloading anything...the movie just took up 44gb of more space but nothing downloaded???

I am not sure how they are doing this. I did notice that the amount of space the is reserved for "System" reduced. It is represented on a colored bar graph where it shows in one color how much space is used for "System" and the other color is for the "user" amount of space used. After I purchased the movie, the System space part of the graph reduced. So it can be that it downloads and places these movies in that "system" space, but the odd thing is there are a lot of movies that are flagged as "purchase" instead of "purchase and download" and all of them combined would take a lot more space than what is showing up in the settings menu.

Regardless, it is nice to be able to purchase select movies and they be immediately available. They do need to flag them some how from the main menu so you know which ones are recommended without having to click on each one to see if it says "Purchase" or "Purchase and Download".

So were you able to actually watch the movie? How did it look?

post #1379 of 10863 Old 09-04-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Panasonic unveils WT600 4K TV, first with HDMI 2.0 and 60Hz in 4K. WT600 Panasonic has also integrated a 4K H.264 decoder than can playback 4K video files via USB and SD card, as well as 4K streaming via the internet.

Hopefully Sony will modify existing sets at least to HDMI 2.0.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1378273252&newsletter&utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Panasonic%27s+first+4K+TV+first+with+HDMI+2_0+-+Live+stream+press+events+from+IFA+-+Third-gen+Sony+3D+helmet+-+New+21%3A9+monitors+from+Lenovo&utm_campaign=20130904_m117113972_FlatpanelsHD+-+September+4%2C+2013&utm_term=newsletter_sub1_jpg
post #1380 of 10863 Old 09-04-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

The HDMI forum in Berlin says "Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification does not define new cables or new connectors. Current High Speed cables (category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth".
So maybe we can save some money there.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page