Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1681 of 11363 Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Any suggestion for a good match of a keyboard to use with the TV instead of the one finger remote method?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 11363 Old 09-14-2013, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will real d 3d passive glasses work with the sony?
post #1683 of 11363 Old 09-14-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 424
post #1684 of 11363 Old 09-14-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Wow, the Alabama/A&M game on CBS OTA looks really great today!
post #1685 of 11363 Old 09-14-2013, 03:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ They should. Almost any passive glasses should work if I am not mistaken. The active 3D glasses are the glasses that are specific.

I bought a pair of metal-framed 3D polarized glasses from Gunnar Optics (the gaming glasses guys) and they work great!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Midnight+3D+Eyewear/3453053.p;jsessionid=BB7DB4723BD0F34349A086CC6A0E9B36.bbolsp-app02-169?id=1218403505102&skuId=3453053&st=gunnar&cp=1&lp=10

Sure, at $60 on sale, they're MUCH more than the $10 Sony ones, but they don't distort much and seem to have a slightly clearer image...
post #1686 of 11363 Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Wow, the Alabama/A&M game on CBS OTA looks really great today!

It sure did! I cant wait til 4k becomes mainstream and is a part of cable. Sports are going to be awesome!
post #1687 of 11363 Old 09-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

It sure did! I cant wait til 4k becomes mainstream and is a part of cable. Sports are going to be awesome!

ESPN 4K and a 4K Movie on demand channel next year are probably going to be the first UHD broadcast channels you are going to be able to buy.
post #1688 of 11363 Old 09-15-2013, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When my sscreen shows alll black in a blu ray etc. It looks like i have a big smiley face on the right.. Certain spots are a lot brighter then black...Even when it switched from a black screen to a light blue of a ocean scene I can still see the light spots...

If I change channels etc then screen is perfectly black....
post #1689 of 11363 Old 09-15-2013, 01:41 AM

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

When my sscreen shows alll black in a blu ray etc. It looks like i have a big smiley face on the right.. Certain spots are a lot brighter then black...Even when it switched from a black screen to a light blue of a ocean scene I can still see the light spots...

That's perfectly normal for an edge-lit display. Every X9 has that to an extent. Just try and enjoy the TV and you'll forget about it.
post #1690 of 11363 Old 09-15-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

On my two LED Sony's, the X900 and the HX909 with FALD, I have found that the black levels are highly sensitive to the settings for Brightness and Backlight, which is to be expected.  When there is no picture, I expect the display to be completely black, not gray, and certainly not any uneven areas around the edges.  After I post the results of the calibration I completed on my X900 later today, compare my settings with your settings and, if there are significant differences, you might try my settings to see if there is an improvement.

post #1691 of 11363 Old 09-15-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgroveman View Post

With regards to the 4K short clips why not connect a computer and use youtube for these. I have heard that on the mac side OS Mavericks supports 4K out via the macbook retina pro on HDMI and the thunderbolt outputs. Has anybody tried this successfully?

I'm running mavericks on a retina 15" pro and it outputs 4k (selectable through display settings). Works well. Not laggy. Some software that hasn't been updated to work for mavericks causes a little trouble though (plex,mplayerx) but mplayerx has a patched version available that works great.
post #1692 of 11363 Old 09-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
anybody have any suggestions on what to set the motionflow to. i will be watching a lot of sports on this tv
post #1693 of 11363 Old 09-15-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
post #1694 of 11363 Old 09-15-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

OFF, usually wink.gif

I keep mine on clear....
RiED27880 likes this.
post #1695 of 11363 Old 09-15-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

XBR65-X900a Display Calibration Results (downloadable settings file at the end of this post)

The calibration results presented in this post were done with Spectracal CalMAN 5 software and the OEM I1Display meter.  Several measurements screens will be presented, as well as a downloadable file containing the X900 settings from the calibration.  A special thanks to KBarnes701 for his guidance as I was developing my skills!

As a starting point, I read several of the professional reviews, including TJ Norton’s review in Home Theater Magazine (Sept 2013), and Bill Cruce’s review in Widescreen Review Magazine (June/July 2013).  Both articles provided a general starting point, and confirmed a number of my observations.  Of the out-of-the-box picture modes, I found Cinema the best starting point.  The Standard picture mode was not too bad, but I found the Custom Mode to be too dark.  And I don’t need to comment on the Vivid Mode!

Several of the critical display settings can be adjusted without the use of the colorimeter, as long as you have a high-quality test disk like Spears&Munsil, or Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray, and understand which test patterns to use, and how to use them.  Spears&Munsil has an exceptionally good set of help screens associated with each test pattern, accessed by simply pressing the Up arrow while viewing the test pattern.  Other critical display settings require a colorimeter, i.e. grayscale and color balance, and the very important Luminance measurement also requires a colorimeter.  While the final settings contained in the file attached below may be useful for you to get your X900 “in the ballpark”, you are cautioned that each display may require slightly different settings.  I encourage you to consider getting your display professionally calibrated (after all, you spent a lot of money, why not achieve the best PQ you can), or spending the small amount of money it takes to get DIY calibration software and a meter.  For the price of a single professional calibration, you can get your own kit, develop your skills, and calibrate as many displays as you want.

Before starting on the calibration, I accessed the Cinema picture mode, and clicked on Reset to make sure all settings for this mode were at their factory defaults.  I then went through the settings and turned off LED Dynamic Control, which can interfere with brightness, contrast and backlight adjustments.  In the User Preferences menu, I also turned off Scene Select Sync and Light Sensor, which also can interfere during the calibration.  Finally, I turned off all the settings that adjust picture quality, such as all the enhancers, noise reducers, Motionflow, Cinemotion, color corrector, etc.  These can be turned back on after the basic settings are calibrated, and recommendations are included in the settings file.

The first setting that needed to be adjusted was the Color Temperature, which has various values such as Warm1, Warm2, Neutral, and Cool.  Using the meter, I took readings of each value, looking for the CCT average setting that was closest to 6500, which was Warm2.

Then the Brightness and Contrast settings were set using the appropriate test patterns.  And finally, once these settings were as close as I could get them, I turned to the Backlight setting, which is the final control that determines the overall brightness of the picture.  I don’t have a dedicated viewing room with controlled ambient lighting, so my target Luminance value was 40 foot-lamberts.  Using the meter, I measured display luminance while varying the Backlight setting from Min, 1, 2…, Max.  Here is a table of the measurements.

Based on these readings, I set the Backlight to 7, producing 42.6 FL.  Depending on your viewing environment, I encourage you to evaluate various settings from 4 in a dark room, to 8 in an unusually bright room.

The next step is adjusting the color balance using the controls in the Advanced section called White Balance.  After a lengthy back-and-forth adjustment of the six controls and reading the results with the meter, here is as close as I could get, which isn’t too bad.  The DeltaE 2000, a measure of the variability, is quite low, which is good.  The color balance determines the grayscale, which determines the overall accuracy of displayed colors.

Next was the Gamma setting, also requiring a meter.  Again, I measured each of the available gamma values, and selected the one that came closest to a measured value of 2.2, which is appropriate for dimly-lit rooms like mine.  I also paid attention to the DeltaE, which is a measurement of the variability of the gamma over different light outputs, from 10% Gray all the way to 100% Gray.  A gamma value of 0 produced the following measurement, which was the best one. 
Update 10-16-2013:  I ran a second calibration with a target Gamma of 2.4 (gamma setting at -2), and LED Control=Low.  The second calibration is stored in Cinema2, allowing a quick toggle between Cinema1 and Cinema2 to observe the differences.  With Gamma of 2.4, the image is slightly darker, otherwise any differences are very subtle.  Three other settings changed as the gamma was adjusted:  Backlight, Picture, and Hue.  The Backlight setting was reduced to preserve a Luminance of approximately 40fl.
Update 10-25-2013:  Ran a new calibration, this time with LED Control set to Standard.  The gamma is reduced to 2.2, but the gamma tracking is much flatter.
Update 12-17-2013:  After honing my CalMAN skills, I was able to obtain optimal settings for a gamma value of 2.4, which is recommended by professional calibrators as the industry standard.  The results are excellent:

And the final test was the CMS assessment, which shows how well the display is performing from a color perspective.  This test is made after all the other settings are dialed-in.  The result, shown below, seems to be reasonably good.  Some top-end plasmas and projectors, which have full Color Management Systems, may perform slightly better.  (Result updated 12-17-2013).

Now that all the basic adjustments were completed, I went back in and turned on some of the settings that were disabled prior to the calibration.  I had difficulty assessing what some of the controls did, especially for the Reality Creation, Motionflow, and Cinemotion settings.  In several cases, I took the setting that was recommended in one of the professional reviews.  For other settings, I either left them off, or selected either the “Low” or the “Auto” settings.  I think it will take some time before each of these obscure controls are fully understood. 
Edit 10-11-2013:  My current settings have all of the "special" controls mentioned above turned off, except for Reality Creation, which I toggle between Auto and Manual (still searching for the best setting).  I think the picture quality is the purest with most of these settings disabled.  (I wonder why Sony continues to load up the settings area with all these controls?)
Edit 10-16-2013:  I have settled on a Reality Creation setting of "Auto".  All other special settings are turned off.
Edit 2-4-2014:  Based on feedback from Geoff, I have switched to Reality Creation setting "Manual" with Resolution=8.  Based on tests using the Spears&Munsil ver 2 Blu-ray, I am now using a Motionflow setting of "Standard".  Color and Hue settings have been adjusted slightly.  All these changes are to the 2.4 Gamma calibration, my current favorite.
Edit 4-7-2014:  I have been running with Motionflow set to Off for quite some time, so this is my new recommended setting.
Edit 5-11-2014:  There are two sets of settings now, one for Gamma=2.4, and one for Gamma=2.2.

Here are the settings I am currently using.  I don't think I am completely finished, but I have arrived at a point where the picture looks good enough that I can sit back and enjoy it for a while.  Try these settings if you like, but remember to write down your current settings before proceeding!  Good luck, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I will update the settings here as I get to know the X900 better.

Display settings 7-14-2014: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...07-14-2014.pdf

Last edited by AustinJerry; 07-14-2014 at 08:29 PM.
post #1696 of 11363 Old 09-15-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

XBR65-X900a Display Calibration Results

The calibration results presented in this post were done with Spectracal CalMAN 5 software and the OEM I1Display meter.  Several measurements screens will be presented, as well as a downloadable file containing the X900 settings from the calibration.  A special thanks to KBarnes701 for his guidance as I was developing my skills!

As a starting point, I read several of the professional reviews, including TJ Norton’s review in Home Theater Magazine (Sept 2013), and Bill Cruce’s review in Widescreen Review Magazine (June/July 2013).  Both articles provided a general starting point, and confirmed a number of my observations.  Of the out-of-the-box picture modes, I found Cinema the best starting point.  The Standard picture mode was not too bad, but I found the Custom Mode to be too dark.  And I don’t need to comment on the Vivid Mode!

Several of the critical display settings can be adjusted without the use of the colorimeter, as long as you have a high-quality test disk like Spears&Munsil, or Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray, and understand which test patterns to use, and how to use them.  Spears&Munsil has an exceptionally good set of help screens associated with each test pattern, accessed by simply pressing the Up arrow while viewing the test pattern.  Other critical display settings require a colorimeter, i.e. grayscale and color balance, and the very important Luminance measurement also requires a colorimeter.  While the final settings contained in the file attached below may be useful for you to get your X900 “in the ballpark”, you are cautioned that each display may require slightly different settings.  I encourage you to consider getting your display professionally calibrated (after all, you spent a lot of money, why not achieve the best PQ you can), or spending the small amount of money it takes to get DIY calibration software and a meter.  For the price of a single professional calibration, you can get your own kit, develop your skills, and calibrate as many displays as you want.

Before starting on the calibration, I accessed the Cinema picture mode, and clicked on Reset to make sure all settings for this mode were at their factory defaults.  I then went through the settings and turned off LED Dynamic Control, which can interfere with brightness, contrast and backlight adjustments.  In the User Preferences menu, I also turned off Scene Select Sync and Light Sensor, which also can interfere during the calibration.  Finally, I turned off all the settings that adjust picture quality, such as all the enhancers, noise reducers, Motionflow, Cinemotion, color corrector, etc.  These can be turned back on after the basic settings are calibrated, and recommendations are included in the settings file.

The first setting that needed to be adjusted was the Color Temperature, which has various values such as Warm1, Warm2, Neutral, and Cool.  Using the meter, I took readings of each value, looking for the CCT average setting that was closest to 6500, which was Warm2.

Then the Brightness and Contrast settings were set using the appropriate test patterns.  And finally, once these settings were as close as I could get them, I turned to the Backlight setting, which is the final control that determines the overall brightness of the picture.  I don’t have a dedicated viewing room with controlled ambient lighting, so my target Luminance value was 40 foot-lamberts.  Using the meter, I measured display luminance while varying the Backlight setting from Min, 1, 2…, Max.  Here is a table of the measurements.

Based on these readings, I set the Backlight to 7, producing 42.6 FL.  Depending on your viewing environment, I encourage you to evaluate various settings from 4 in a dark room, to 8 in an unusually bright room.

The next step is adjusting the color balance using the controls in the Advanced section called White Balance.  After a lengthy back-and-forth adjustment of the six controls and reading the results with the meter, here is as close as I could get, which isn’t too bad.  The DeltaE 2000, a measure of the variability, is quite low, which is good.  The color balance determines the grayscale, which determines the overall accuracy of displayed colors.

Next was the Gamma setting, also requiring a meter.  Again, I measured each of the available gamma values, and selected the one that came closest to a measured value of 2.2, which is appropriate for dimly-lit rooms like mine.  I also paid attention to the DeltaE, which is a measurement of the variability of the gamma over different light outputs, from 10% Gray all the way to 100% Gray.  A gamma value of -2 produced the following measurement, which was the best one.

And the final test was the CMS assessment, which shows how well the display is performing from a color perspective.  This test is made after all the other settings are dialed-in.  The result, shown below, seems to be reasonably good.  Some top-end plasmas and projectors, which have full Color Management Systems, may perform slightly better.

Now that all the basic adjustments were completed, I went back in and turned on some of the settings that were disabled prior to the calibration.  I had difficulty assessing what some of the controls did, especially for the Reality Creation, Motionflow, and Cinemotion settings.  In several cases, I took the setting that was recommended in one of the professional reviews.  For other settings, I either left them off, or selected either the “Low” or the “Auto” settings.  I think it will take some time before each of these obscure controls are fully understood. 

Here are the final settings I am currently using.  I don't think I am completely finished, but I have arrived at a point where the picture looks good enough that I can sit back and enjoy it for a while.  Try these settings if you like, but remember to write down your current settings before proceeding!  Good luck, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Display Settings

Great work and thank you for this. Do you have any movie shots to show how the picture looks?
post #1697 of 11363 Old 09-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 176
AustinJerry,

No need to quote you, but I too want to thank you for your exceptional post.

Lee
post #1698 of 11363 Old 09-15-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

Great work and thank you for this. Do you have any movie shots to show how the picture looks?

Not being a camera buff, I don't currently have a high enough quality camera to do the picture justice.  Keep in mind that trying the settings I posted is easy to do, as long as you copy down your original settings in case you want to go back.  Nothing is better than experiencing it first-hand.

post #1699 of 11363 Old 09-15-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

AustinJerry,

No need to quote you, but I too want to thank you for your exceptional post.

Lee

Thanks, Lee.  I would welcome your feedback.

post #1700 of 11363 Old 09-16-2013, 01:36 AM

Liked: 16
Any benefits to ordering X9 online thru bestbuy rather than in store? Or vice versa?

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
post #1701 of 11363 Old 09-16-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post

Any benefits to ordering X9 online thru bestbuy rather than in store? Or vice versa?

IMO, better to buy from the local store if you need help in delivery and installation.  Buying online in some cases means you avoid state sales tax, which can be significant, but you also increase the risk of damage during shipment.  I have ordered a number of times online from Crutchfield, and have always been very satisfied.  However, never something as large as a flat panel TV.

post #1702 of 11363 Old 09-16-2013, 06:35 AM

Liked: 21
I like to buy as close to the source as I can, even though it costs a bit more. I think that Sony is good for the world. Those retail giants... not so much. Right, the Sony sales people in AZ are good. I'm 100% pleased by the Sony contracted delivery and install.
post #1703 of 11363 Old 09-16-2013, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I own the 55" X900A and i LOVE it! the speakers look great and the sound is rich! Colors never looked better on an lcd tv in my opinion and blacks are deep, specialy for an edge lit set. People who complain about not seeing a difference between a 4k set and a 1080p set should see an eye doctor. lol This tv is amazing. I have a little ove 3 months with this beauty and i'm very happy with it! smile.gif
post #1704 of 11363 Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

I own the 55" X900A and i LOVE it! the speakers look great and the sound is rich! Colors never looked better on an lcd tv in my opinion and blacks are deep, specialy for an edge lit set. People who complain about not seeing a difference between a 4k set and a 1080p set should see an eye doctor. lol This tv is amazing. I have a little ove 3 months with this beauty and i'm very happy with it! smile.gif

+1
post #1705 of 11363 Old 09-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Over on the Sony Community 4K TV site:

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/bd-p/4K-Ultra-HD-TV

I began a thread titled "Odds and Ends for Sony Rep Check."

If there are any quirky things, recommendations or suggestions you may have, it appears Sony people check often and respond quickly.
post #1706 of 11363 Old 09-16-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post

I'm not a fan of Best Buy, but for TVs, they're pretty good. Delivery is free, as is setup, and if you need to exchange your set for whatever reason, they'll pick up the old one and drop off a new one.

If you're going to buy from Best Buy, make sure you're a Rewards Zone member before you do. You'll get between $100 and $200 (depending on your membership level) back as store credit. Not a bad deal.
post #1707 of 11363 Old 09-16-2013, 02:02 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

Glad to hear it...I have a VT60 now but it has burn in and I have Best Buy coming out to verify it. Hopefully they just let me replace it because I'm going to get the X850A instead and just pay the difference. I saw the X900A in the store and it's just awesome.
post #1708 of 11363 Old 09-16-2013, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 124
oh man! :/ sorry to hear about your set. People always say that burn ins are a thing of the past among the high end panasonic plasmas of today. this is one of the reasons i chose led to be honest. Yes, plasma has better black levels and better over all viewing angle, but i just cannot justify having to deal with the fear of burn in just to get better black levels. Most warranties dont even cover it. To my eyes, my sony gets dark enough and has amazing contrast with out having to worry about the plasma IR and burn in. the VT60 is an amazing tv, but i think you'll be quiet content with the 4k X850A. smile.gif best of luck with whatever you decide.
post #1709 of 11363 Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

Over on the Sony Community 4K TV site:

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/bd-p/4K-Ultra-HD-TV

I began a thread titled "Odds and Ends for Sony Rep Check."

If there are any quirky things, recommendations or suggestions you may have, it appears Sony people check often and respond quickly.

Sony monitors this thread, as well as others. They're very good getting in contact with people who need help.
post #1710 of 11363 Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 PM

Liked: 16
I went to Best Buy in Burbank, CA to get the 65 X9. All the display TVs in the MHT department were marked down even the 4k TVs. The sales guy said they were getting rid of MHT and remodeling to put in a Design Center for Home theater and that all display TVs are 40% off! I asked about the 65 X9 display being 40% off he said it was, I did the math and it would make it around $3300! I told him I wanted it and that I also wanted to know if they had any special pricing going on for a NEW 65X9. He went and got his manager and basically told me no discounts on new sets and only on the display sets. When I mentioned I'd do the 40% off the display set he said "What!? There's no way I can do that! Thats like $2000 off" The best he could do was $600 off the display. I guess I should've just got it for %40 before the manager got involved.... I walked. I'm going to get a new set on bestbuy. com

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page