Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 12181 Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I see.

Didn't read the review. Just thought I saw the title of the article on their website a few days ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 12181 Old 06-07-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 15
According to this article on LesNumeriques it seems the 55X900 has an IGZO panel:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lesnumeriques.com%2Ftv-televiseur%2Ftrois-tv-uhd-4k-sony-trahis-par-sous-pixels-n29268.html&act=url

Different panels will impact reviews.
post #183 of 12181 Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 AM

Liked: 10
Just got 55" and removed my 3 channel sound bar because it look bad with this new tv and its built-in speakers. The speakers do sound good but now I lost my surround sound system. My receiver has pass-thru so I leave it off and it still passes the audio/video through. I ran audio out to my sub so at least I have some bass.

I can't be the only person not wanting to use the tv speakers and a receiver. How are you guys connected?
post #184 of 12181 Old 06-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrofascist View Post

According to this article on LesNumeriques it seems the 55X900 has an IGZO panel:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lesnumeriques.com%2Ftv-televiseur%2Ftrois-tv-uhd-4k-sony-trahis-par-sous-pixels-n29268.html&act=url

Different panels will impact reviews.
A bit surprising that Sony is using a Sharp panel for the 55". You can generally spot them quite easily as they are the only manufacturer who uses a split pixel design. I noticed while browsing at Costco that Samsung has also started using Sharp panels in some of their sets. I'm not really a big fan of the split pixels as they can be seen from a few feet away where regular pixels cannot. Also the Sharp panels tend to have poorer off-angle contrast. I still love my 80-632U but I am certainly away of its shortcomings.
post #185 of 12181 Old 06-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd2blu View Post

If I remember correctly, Home Theater mag did a full review on the 84 inch few weeks ago.
Sound and Vision did a fairly in-depth preview on the 84" that even included the ISF pre and post results. It's a full 4 pages and was pretty close to a full review. Best one I've seen so far........
Here it is:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/hands-sony-xbr-84x900-ultra-hd-tv?page=0,1
post #186 of 12181 Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello Everyone:
I recently had my 65x900a calibrated by a professional calibrator. He showed me the pre and post diagrams and they have really evened out with the calibration. That being said the set doesn't have the "pop" it had before and people generally look pale. My wife doesn't like it and prefers the original settings I had. I will say the original settings I got from watching the VE showdown and copying what I saw on their screen. It did give white a bluish hue with those settings and my wife says now their is a slight greenish look which frankly I do not see but the whites look a bit pale to me. Newscasters look somewhat bloodless with this new calibration. Here they are:

Picture Mode: custom
Color Temp: warm 2
Gamma: 0
Backlight: max
Brightness: 50
Color: 50
Sharpness: 50
Contrast: 90
High: Red -5, Green 0, Blue 0
Low: red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
Reality Creat. : off
Motion Flow: off
Cinemotion: off

Advanced setting:
Black corrector: off
Adv. Contrast En. Off
Gamma; off
Live color: off
post #187 of 12181 Old 06-08-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post

Hello Everyone:
I recently had my 65x900a calibrated by a professional calibrator. He showed me the pre and post diagrams and they have really evened out with the calibration. That being said the set doesn't have the "pop" it had before and people generally look pale. My wife doesn't like it and prefers the original settings I had. I will say the original settings I got from watching the VE showdown and copying what I saw on their screen. It did give white a bluish hue with those settings and my wife says now their is a slight greenish look which frankly I do not see but the whites look a bit pale to me. Newscasters look somewhat bloodless with this new calibration. Here they are:

Advanced setting:
Adv. Contrast En. Off
Gamma; off

Red -5 may be the problem. Try Cinema 1 settings because these are almost the same. IMO it's best to tweak to personal taste because calibration standards are bland.
post #188 of 12181 Old 06-08-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Hello Everyone:

Advanced setting:
Adv. Contrast En. Off
Gamma; off

Have you tried raising your concerns with the calibrator? If it doesn't look right, you should have them come back out.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #189 of 12181 Old 06-09-2013, 06:33 AM

Liked: 12
KBROD..thanks for posting your settings. So...did you revert back to VE Shootout settings?
post #190 of 12181 Old 06-09-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
How come you guys don't give the calibrated settings a few days to adjust to before discarding them.
post #191 of 12181 Old 06-09-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 191
If you're looking for `POP', and Lots of `Blue', of course you're not going to like the calibration to specs!
Right now my set, is meeting all the Specs (Sorry, it's not this TV, but one from LG) and it looks Great, and it looks Natural!
Once you get use to a calibrated set, you will then find going into a Retailer that all the sets look annoying due to their blatant emphasis on: LG - Blue, Sony - Red, Samsung - Green, and Sharp - Yellow. Calibrating these sets is to bring them more in line with what they `Should Look Like!'
post #192 of 12181 Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 AM

I have not reverted back to the VE settings. I will keep the present calibrated settings and maybe tweak a bit to my tastes. I have enclosed the before and after calibrated charts so you can see there was a significant improvement at least on paper. I'll give myself some time to get used to the 'look'. I will say newscasters do look like they had a poor make-up job as they tend to look bloodless now. I do notice when watching direct tv that there is periodic jutter with motion. I might have to turn on some of the TV's settings to decrease this. Otherwise I really like this set and no question would purchase it again. It would be nice if Sony would speed up on releasing the fmp-x1 already. Geez, I mean their probably just sitting in a warehouse somewhere. IMG_6060.JPG 1915k .JPG file IMG_6061.JPG 2104k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6060.JPG (1.87 MB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6061.JPG (2.05 MB, 73 views)
post #193 of 12181 Old 06-09-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

If you're looking for `POP', and Lots of `Blue', of course you're not going to like the calibration to specs!
Right now my set, is meeting all the Specs (Sorry, it's not this TV, but one from LG) and it looks Great, and it looks Natural!
Once you get use to a calibrated set, you will then find going into a Retailer that all the sets look annoying due to their blatant emphasis on: LG - Blue, Sony - Red, Samsung - Green, and Sharp - Yellow. Calibrating these sets is to bring them more in line with what they `Should Look Like!'

It is the old reference versus preference. You and I are in the same camp. Reference!smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #194 of 12181 Old 06-10-2013, 01:27 PM

Hi 4K -XBR fellows,

I am a 2K XBR-hx929 (65) owner and I am thinking of exchanging this with the 4K. Reasons

1) spent over 5 grand and now adding another 2 will give me a 4K- some satisfaction.(still have to talk to the local store abt out- partially agreed for the exchange)...that I spent good money and have the latest technology and ready for the next 4 yrs and not get outdated at least till the 8K comes out.
2) Color on the 4K is SUPERBBB... I was impressed when I saw in the store

I am OK with the speaker and design-- looks impressive when turned off - more widescreen look( kind of 21:9 look and feel that I love the most)
BUT Here are my biggest concerns...please suggest or comment

1) Full Array
2) Full Array
3) Full Array
4) HDMI 1.4

Something that I have been bosting about to my friends all this while.. Is this a real concern.?? Can anyone comment on the black levels?--- any good Online review on the 65 inch 4k?
post #195 of 12181 Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadavsforum View Post

Hi 4K -XBR fellows,

I am a 2K XBR-hx929 (65) owner and I am thinking of exchanging this with the 4K. Reasons

1) spent over 5 grand and now adding another 2 will give me a 4K- some satisfaction.(still have to talk to the local store abt out- partially agreed for the exchange)...that I spent good money and have the latest technology and ready for the next 4 yrs and not get outdated at least till the 8K comes out.
2) Color on the 4K is SUPERBBB... I was impressed when I saw in the store

I am OK with the speaker and design-- looks impressive when turned off - more widescreen look( kind of 21:9 look and feel that I love the most)
BUT Here are my biggest concerns...please suggest or comment

1) Full Array
2) Full Array
3) Full Array
4) HDMI 1.4

Something that I have been bosting about to my friends all this while.. Is this a real concern.?? Can anyone comment on the black levels?--- any good Online review on the 65 inch 4k?

X9 is the first XBR worth the upgrade since the XBR8 (full-array and triluminos). With full-array you might discern slightly deeper black levels in certain circumstances. (Consider that reviewers thought the difference between the HX850 and HX950 negligible). X9 black levels are excellent and the overall PQ is noticeably superior to the 929.

HDMI 1.4 it could be a problem if Sony doesn't offer to upgrade to 2.0. However the X9 still has the 4k X-Reality engine and there will likely be very little 4k material for many years.
post #196 of 12181 Old 06-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I saw this set today and was amazed, but there was a blur on the soccer game when the ball was kicked. It was very noticeable with the white ball. The picture is amazing! I might just go for the rose gold and wait a few years for my 4K.

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #197 of 12181 Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

I saw this set today and was amazed, but there was a blur on the soccer game when the ball was kicked. It was very noticeable with the white ball. The picture is amazing! I might just go for the rose gold and wait a few years for my 4K.

Make certain the MotionFlow setting is on Clear or Clear Plus.
post #198 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 AM

To get the much desired "pop," I have my 4K set to "vivid." The normal setting looked washed out and tinkering with the various calibration adjustments did not help. With "vivid" on, it looks great. Not too garish.
post #199 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolk View Post

To get the much desired "pop," I have my 4K set to "vivid." The normal setting looked washed out and tinkering with the various calibration adjustments did not help. With "vivid" on, it looks great. Not too garish.

Be careful with "pop". It's often not a good thing. It makes people ooh and ahh at first, but it's not technically a nice picture for you to enjoy long term.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #200 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to chime in with a common concern that I think Sony shot themselves in the foot with this glued on speaker design.

I believe it's horrible, given how wowed I was by this thing otherwise.

A rep at BB/Mag a few days ago told me they just had a return entirely because of the speaker design. It's one thing to be in front of it in store and have your jaw drop, but to live with those looks on your wall day after day is a little much. There was something about it that seemed like an ugly version of pillar boxing to me.

I suspect the number of people turned off by this is larger than Sony expected, but that's a mere guess.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #201 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrofascist View Post

X9 is the first XBR worth the upgrade since the XBR8 (full-array and triluminos). With full-array you might discern slightly deeper black levels in certain circumstances. (Consider that reviewers thought the difference between the HX850 and HX950 negligible). X9 black levels are excellent and the overall PQ is noticeably superior to the 929.

HDMI 1.4 it could be a problem if Sony doesn't offer to upgrade to 2.0. However the X9 still has the 4k X-Reality engine and there will likely be very little 4k material for many years.

Thank you for your comment.. I will think about it-- for I have to pay at least 2000 + taxes to get the X9. Or I might as well live with 929 (bought it 7 months back) for another 2 yrs and hopefully by then we will have much better 4k content publicly available - and sony might release full array 4K.

I was at the sony store yesterday and the HD cable was bad compared to my 929 at home- ofcourse cable signal at the store are weak- but again the 4 k upscaling compared to a native 1080i/720p content on 1080p television will look a litle off normal...IMO. I saw the VOICE being played on NBC and my first impression was I was watching a Youtube video and not cable. It was clear but it is like youtube clear.

At the last minute I backed off from buying the X9..last night.
post #202 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadavsforum View Post

At the last minute I backed off from buying the X9..last night.

I think your smart to hold off on the 4K stuff. That's at least a 2014 thing IMO.

Limited sizes
Weird design
4K still not completely thought through (think hdmi), and the content is near 0 even though the up convert is nice and standard 3D blu-ray shows up at full vertical res.

Just not worth it.

I suspect there's a chance they might go back to the full array again next year given how much crap they're getting about edge from videophiles.

You can only win by taking a deep breath (all of us), stepping back, and letting some dust settle on this one. Or at the VERY least, let some hardware revisions of this thing come and go a bit.

post #203 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 07:36 AM

By "technically," do you mean its not good for the electronics of the set or just aesthetically?
post #204 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolk View Post

By "technically," do you mean its not good for the electronics of the set or just aesthetically?

Quote the person you're talking to please....I wasn't completely sure whom you were addressing. It was back on a different page.

I mean the idea of "pop" is to create a surreal image. Especially starting with that Vivid setting I've seen on the R550 and W802, and Samsungs.

The only time I've ever seen a commonly used something sounding like a "Vivid" setting is in Big Box stores where they're competing with the ambient uber-light and because that POP you're talking about actually sells sets.

Other than that, you might be fooled by that pop. Uber bright is not uber good. Uber pop is not uber good. In fact, for most people it's likely to cause uber eye strain.

YMMV, but IMO, the brighter, sharper, more-pop, that people strive for is a mistake.

While what people "like" is the bottom line of course, I believe that if they gave a more real looking calibrated image a try for a while, they won't miss that Vivid one bit.
minky1947 and p5browne like this.

post #205 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The speakers are a matter of taste. I think they look nice myself. Some here have stated their dislike while others "don't mind them at all." Regarding PQ, I took along a few 3D movies from my collection an demoed the 65" set. The 3D image brightness sold me. One of the movies I brought from home was Creature From The Black Lagoon. On my 65VT50 some scenes look nice and bright while others look less bright. It's been that way with all the 3D sets I've owned since 2010 and I have plenty of movies that exhibit that bright and should be brighter scenes. The Sony UHD makes the darker scenes look much brighter and the picture sharpness is excellent and much better than the VT50. The pop out on Creature was also more pronounced. After the demo, I didn't even want to watch 3D on the VT5, that's how good it was. My demo experience was very positive. A customer my age came in and sat down to watch. He was completely unaware of the world of 3D but left saying he's got to get one of these. The Magnolia employee who was assisting said they need to get some new 3D demo movies. I guess it's not as easy as just walking over to the rack and grabbing something (lol). I'm going to be patient for now and wait to see reviews of the Sony and other sets coming out. Too bad no 75" set has been announced by anybody.
post #206 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

The speakers are a matter of taste. I think they look nice myself. Some here have stated their dislike while others "don't mind them at all." Regarding PQ, I took along a few 3D movies from my collection an demoed the 65" set. The 3D image brightness sold me. One of the movies I brought from home was Creature From The Black Lagoon. On my 65VT50 some scenes look nice and bright while others look less bright. It's been that way with all the 3D sets I've owned since 2010 and I have plenty of movies that exhibit that bright and should be brighter scenes. The Sony UHD makes the darker scenes look much brighter and the picture sharpness is excellent and much better than the VT50. The pop out on Creature was also more pronounced. After the demo, I didn't even want to watch 3D on the VT5, that's how good it was. My demo experience was very positive. A customer my age came in and sat down to watch. He was completely unaware of the world of 3D but left saying he's got to get one of these. The Magnolia employee who was assisting said they need to get some new 3D demo movies. I guess it's not as easy as just walking over to the rack and grabbing something (lol). I'm going to be patient for now and wait to see reviews of the Sony and other sets coming out. Too bad no 75" set has been announced by anybody.

Actually, it wasn't that hard to impress me apparently. A standard 3D blu-ray will have be able to display at 1080 vertical and up-converted (pix doubled) 3840, no? This is active 3D at least (if they're using nearest neighbor). The 3D movie I saw at BB/Mag was just that, and spectacular, and smooth, and and and and. Plus, if it's using any of its uber-motion handling, then it's no longer just nearest neighbor, but smoother.

post #207 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 11:14 AM

Watching the set with my wife last night she doesn't like the calibrated version and I agree it is a bit bloodless but my original setting through VE is a bit too bluish. I will have to tweak to get something inbetween that we both like. The vivid setting I do not like as it's too cartoonish maybe that would work for my daughter's Tinkerbell Blueray. That being said while I was playing around I noticed under the Reality Creation setting a mastered in 4K section. I thought if you play a disk the TV would automatically engage the Triluminus feature but I guess you have to have this turned on. That being said, I cannot turn this feature on. I have a Onkyo NR-5010 and an Oppo bdp-93. Through my Oppo directly connected I get the message 'Feature not available for current Scene Select setting'. When I have it going through the Onkyo I get the message, 'Feature not available for current signal'. What's happening here? Can you guys turn your 4K feature on? I was playing the 4K version of Spiderman I got from Sony so it should have engaged.
post #208 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Quote the person you're talking to please....I wasn't completely sure whom you were addressing. It was back on a different page.

I mean the idea of "pop" is to create a surreal image. Especially starting with that Vivid setting I've seen on the R550 and W802, and Samsungs.

The only time I've ever seen a commonly used something sounding like a "Vivid" setting is in Big Box stores where they're competing with the ambient uber-light and because that POP you're talking about actually sells sets.

Other than that, you might be fooled by that pop. Uber bright is not uber good. Uber pop is not uber good. In fact, for most people it's likely to cause uber eye strain.

YMMV, but IMO, the brighter, sharper, more-pop, that people strive for is a mistake.

While what people "like" is the bottom line of course, I believe that if they gave a more real looking calibrated image a try for a while, they won't miss that Vivid one bit.

Something like us 100% Chocolate Lovers: Takes a while to get used to it - starting at 70%, up to 86% then finally the 100%. Once there, 70% now tastes too sweet!
Same for calibration: Once you get use to a Calibrated to Specifications look, Vivid is Too Sweet! (or in this case OMG, how can anyone stand looking at that? Sets your nerves on end!)
post #209 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Watching the set with my wife last night she doesn't like the calibrated version and I agree it is a bit bloodless but my original setting through VE is a bit too bluish. I will have to tweak to get something inbetween that we both like. The vivid setting I do not like as it's too cartoonish maybe that would work for my daughter's Tinkerbell Blueray. That being said while I was playing around I noticed under the Reality Creation setting a mastered in 4K section. I thought if you play a disk the TV would automatically engage the Triluminus feature but I guess you have to have this turned on. That being said, I cannot turn this feature on. I have a Onkyo NR-5010 and an Oppo bdp-93. Through my Oppo directly connected I get the message 'Feature not available for current Scene Select setting'. When I have it going through the Onkyo I get the message, 'Feature not available for current signal'. What's happening here? Can you guys turn your 4K feature on? I was playing the 4K version of Spiderman I got from Sony so it should have engaged.

Triluminos is always active. The "Mastered in 4k" is available when playing a mastered in 4k BR.
post #210 of 12181 Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Something like us 100% Chocolate Lovers: Takes a while to get used to it - starting at 70%, up to 86% then finally the 100%. Once there, 70% now tastes too sweet!
Same for calibration: Once you get use to a Calibrated to Specifications look, Vivid is Too Sweet! (or in this case OMG, how can anyone stand looking at that? Sets your nerves on end!)

Particularly when regarding the eyes/brain, where things are even more relative than normal...

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page