Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just had my 65" X9 delivered but had to run back to work after the delivery. The TV static in 4K looks amazing though from what I could see smile.gif
wase4711 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34

here are the settings I currently have after a quick run with CalMan and my i1Display Pro profiled to my 1iPro. anything blank is either off or not applicable.

Picture Mode
Custom
Backlight
Picture
Brightness
Color
Hue
G2
Color Temperature
Warm2
Sharpness
Noise Reduction

MPEG Noise Reduction

Dot Noise Reduction

Reality Creation

Mastered in 4K

Video Area Detection

Resolution

Noise Filtering

Smooth Gradation

CineMotion

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector

Adv Contrast Enhancer

Gamma
LED Dynamic Control
Standard
Auto Light Limiter

Clear White

Live Color
High
White Balance

R-Gain
G-Gain
B-Gain
R-Bias
G-Bias
B-Bias
Detail Enhancer

Edge Enhancer

Skin Naturalizer

Display Speed Preference

Scene Select Sync

Light Sensor

post #2523 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

You ran a USB with what type of content directly to the TV? It's already been established that 4K content cannot be played through the USB. If you were able to get it to work, how?

No 4k content

just comparing PQ on regular 1080

post #2524 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post

here are the settings I currently have after a quick run with CalMan and my i1Display Pro profiled to my 1iPro. anything blank is either off or not applicable.

SNIP

as a side note, the settings post earlier in this thread had a Picture Mode of Cinema1. I do not see this anywhere on my set. How did you get to it?

You put Live Colour on High? Woah. Any time I even think about going near that setting during calibration, the colour ends up waaaay off. To get to Cinema 1 you need to change the Scene Select to Cinema.

Might as well chip with my own settings for my 55X9, UK version, July build, calibrated using a ColorMunki Display and HCFR. Using a Panasonic DMPBDT320 outputting 4:4:4 12-bit.

Got Delta errors under 1.0 for each grayscale step above 0%, apart from 10% which loses a chunk of red and I can't seem to correct it without throwing the rest of the scale out of whack. Colour temp is on or about 6500K at every step apart from that damned 10%. Gamma's coming at 2.4 which I prefer, as 2.2 is much too light for my tastes. Delta errors for primaries and secondaries are at 4 or under.

Cinema 1
Backlight 3
Contrast 90
Brightness 50
Colour 51
Hue 0
Colour Temperature Warm2
Sharpness 50
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Resolution 8, Noise Filtering 0, Mastered in 4K Off (the Mi4K setting adds a little bit of de-noising so I tend not to use it now)
Smooth Gradation Low
Motionflow Off / Clear (for certain 2D content) / Standard (for 3D content)
Film Mode Auto

Advanced settings:
Black Corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma -2
LED Dynamic Control Low
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Colour Off
Detail Enhancer Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturaliser Off

White balance:
R Gain -2
G Gain 0
B Gain -2
R Bias +2
G Bias +4
B Bias +1
post #2525 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

You put Live Colour on High? Woah. Any time I even think about going near that setting during calibration, the colour ends up waaaay off.

I found some of the presets had exactly that effect, however in Custom, on my set, it is tamed, and other than a little red push, works surprisingly well. This was fed from a Sony 790 BR player that matches the TRILUMINOUS color space.

This is the 2nd x900 I've calibrated, and there were some vast differences in some of the settings, gamma, white balance, live color, and brightness.

post #2526 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I find that Live Colour brightens up the midtones as well as boosting the colour, which is why I steer well clear with Blu-ray, because it throws off the grayscale as well as the colour accuracy. I don't mind using it when watching off-air TV though, 'cause there's no objective way for me to calibrate a satellite box so I'm not too concerned about how accurate the image is. I hike the Smooth Gradation up to Medium as well, because the colour compression on broadcasts is usually pretty lousy and can do with some smoothing out.

I do recommend playing around with some of the MotionFlow settings though. I'm the first one to bemoan the 'soap opera' effect, and in 2D that's exactly what Smooth and Standard will give you with 24p content. But Clear seems to do its voodoo without interpolating new frames (or not a lot of them anyway) and it works extremely well with stuff shot on video, adding genuine clarity to motion without any appreciable artefacts. Standard is great for 3D though, upping motion resolution with no 'soap opera' effect that I can see, and it makes 3D look incredibly detailed.
post #2527 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

Well, after a week with this fantastic set, everything seems to be working as it should; now I have a question re: sound output.
I have a pioneer elite sc 25 reciever; it does not support hdmi 1.4 nor does it upscale video to 4k. Its only 2 years old, but I bought it one year too soon for it to have those 2 features I could use now..

Anyways, I have the sony media player, the sony bluray bdps790. Also using a HD antenna to get about 40 local digital stations in chicago. Additionally I have 2 nas boxes on my home network, and am able to stream to the tv without any issue, and in fantastic quality....now, here is my question.

When I use the TV's built in DLNA capabilities, I can stream from my media servers fantastic video, but the audio is coming through a TOSlink cable that I connected to the AVR from the TV.
I would like to somehow, be able to listen to the audio though an HDMI output; it seems like the TOSlionk cable doesnt stream 7.1, and dts hd mastered properly. I also get the "antenna" tv sound through this cable.
Is there anyway to get "output" from the tv, as its streaming from my NAS boxes, or my antenna, through an HDMI output?

I am using the hdmi 1 on the tv for my DishNetwork Service, I am using HDMI 4 for the media server, and I am using HDMI2 for the BluRay player. HDMI3 is open, but I dont know if I can somehow use it to get the audio signal from the media server or the antenna.

If I run the media server through the BluRay player, then, the audio ouputs perfectly, and of course the video is great as well, but I dont want to have to use the BluRay player to watch and listen to the streaming media, since the TV has that ability natively..

Thanks to anyone with any suggestions!
Get a new receiver in 2014 with hdmi 2.0.
wase4711 likes this.
post #2528 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

Get a new receiver in 2014 with hdmi 2.0.
thats the easy way out!!!
post #2529 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Picture Mode
Custom
Backlight
Picture
Brightness
Color
Hue
G2
Color Temperature
Warm2
Sharpness
Noise Reduction

MPEG Noise Reduction

Dot Noise Reduction

Reality Creation

Mastered in 4K

Video Area Detection

Resolution

Noise Filtering

Smooth Gradation

CineMotion

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector

Adv Contrast Enhancer

Gamma
LED Dynamic Control
Standard
Auto Light Limiter

Clear White

Live Color
High
White Balance

R-Gain
G-Gain
B-Gain
R-Bias
G-Bias
B-Bias
Detail Enhancer

Edge Enhancer

Skin Naturalizer

Display Speed Preference

Scene Select Sync

Light Sensor

i like this a lot

I increased picture brightness and sharpness a little ....very nice

post #2530 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

thats the easy way out!!!
Thanks for the thumbs up,but im pissed right now got a emailed that Panasonic is going to stop making Plasma in march in 2014,I hope they are wrong.
post #2531 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

Thanks for the thumbs up,but im pissed right now got a emailed that Panasonic is going to stop making Plasma in march in 2014,I hope they are wrong.

Nope, they are right. Panasonic is getting out of the plasma business.
post #2532 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

RIP plasma tv's, you served us well...
post #2533 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:

Picture Mode
Custom
Backlight
Picture
Brightness
Color
Hue
G2
Color Temperature
Warm2
Sharpness
Noise Reduction

MPEG Noise Reduction

Dot Noise Reduction

Reality Creation

Mastered in 4K

Video Area Detection

Resolution

Noise Filtering

Smooth Gradation

CineMotion

Advanced Settings

Black Corrector

Adv Contrast Enhancer

Gamma
LED Dynamic Control
Standard
Auto Light Limiter

Clear White

Live Color
High
White Balance

R-Gain
G-Gain
B-Gain
R-Bias
G-Bias
B-Bias
Detail Enhancer

Edge Enhancer

Skin Naturalizer

Display Speed Preference

Scene Select Sync

Light Sensor

Your settings are not that different from the ones I posted previously in this thread, which is good to see.

I would like to call your attention to the color and hue settings.  I initially used the AVS HD color and hue test patterns, which are the ones supplied by SpectraCal.  Subsequently, I checked the settings using the Spears&Munsil Ver 2 Blu-ray, and came up with significantly different settings from the ones I arrived at using AVS HD.  My final settings are Color 56, Hue R1.  With these settings I also achieved a much flatter Gamma, and settled on a Gamma value of 0.  BTW, the zero gamma value was also the preferred setting for two of the professional reviews on the X900.

Live Color = High is a preference setting,  I found it a little overbearing, IMO.

Like you, I have set all the other controls to off for the time being, but occasionally test out some of the settings to see if I can discern an improvement.  In general, I haven't found any of the other settings to improve PQ.

Do you have any of the CalMan graphs to share with us?

post #2534 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

You put Live Colour on High? Woah. Any time I even think about going near that setting during calibration, the colour ends up waaaay off. To get to Cinema 1 you need to change the Scene Select to Cinema.

Might as well chip with my own settings for my 55X9, UK version, July build, calibrated using a ColorMunki Display and HCFR. Using a Panasonic DMPBDT320 outputting 4:4:4 12-bit.

Got Delta errors under 1.0 for each grayscale step above 0%, apart from 10% which loses a chunk of red and I can't seem to correct it without throwing the rest of the scale out of whack. Colour temp is on or about 6500K at every step apart from that damned 10%. Gamma's coming at 2.4 which I prefer, as 2.2 is much too light for my tastes. Delta errors for primaries and secondaries are at 4 or under.

Cinema 1
Backlight 3
Contrast 90
Brightness 50
Colour 51
Hue 0
Colour Temperature Warm2
Sharpness 50
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Resolution 8, Noise Filtering 0, Mastered in 4K Off (the Mi4K setting adds a little bit of de-noising so I tend not to use it now)
Smooth Gradation Low
Motionflow Off / Clear (for certain 2D content) / Standard (for 3D content)
Film Mode Auto

Advanced settings:
Black Corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma -2
LED Dynamic Control Low
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Colour Off
Detail Enhancer Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Skin Naturaliser Off

White balance:
R Gain -2
G Gain 0
B Gain -2
R Bias +2
G Bias +4
B Bias +1

With a backlight setting of 3, what is the Luminance measurement?  I get a Luminance of 42 with a backlight setting of 7.  IMO, Luminance is a preference setting, and my target for my low-light viewing room was 40 or higher.

As mentioned in a previous post, Gamma=0 produces the best results on my set.  Otherwise, no significant difference between our settings.

post #2535 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

WELL ...i  don't agree.
What's the point of buying a 65" if 10" are missing in the movie.

I don't think you understand... If you zoom to make a 2.35:1 image full screen, you lose huge chunks of the move on both sides. So yeah, you make use of the screen size but you miss the movie. If the choice is between black bars and missing 30% of the movie, I'd take the black bars any day of the week!!! Not to mention you're doing serious harm to the picture quality of the movie you're zooming in on.

Aspect movies are always, always going to have horizontal bars on a 16:9 display. It's not wasted real estate, just the way the movie was filmed. The only way to get around it is to implement a CIH projector setup. When purchasing a TV, one should always buy the set understanding that wide aspect movies are going to be smaller. A 55" TV would have fit most of my needs, but scope movies would have been too small from my seating distance.

I'm wondering, what aspect ratio did you come from on your last TV?
codee and quovadis123 like this.
post #2536 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

ummm ok.

When we go to the movies..we don't have these black bars though?

These film makers should think that there are millions of people out there with a top and bottom black bar syndrome.

Put it this way...I would prefer to have the black bar syndrome at the movies, and watch a full screen at home.

post #2537 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 04:43 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

ummm ok.

These film makers should think that there are millions of people out there with a top and bottom black bar syndrome.
Put it this way...I would prefer to have the black bar syndrome at the movies, and watch a full screen at home.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/why-you-should-embrace-black-bars/

Aspect ratios. Learn them, love them. It will never change.
disker72 likes this.
post #2538 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal View Post

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/why-you-should-embrace-black-bars/

Aspect ratios. Learn them, love them. It will never change.

Back in the ole 70's I ran a few movies in 35mm that somehow ended up on videotape. The Sting (1.85:1) and 2001 (2.20:1) for example, were projected from the booth without the anamorphic lens and then I used my Advent Videobeam projector to squash the picture back into correct aspect ratio, creating the bars. Over the years I've changed from purist to someone that actually prefers no bars... but I can live with em.

edited to add: we didn't use the theater screen, we hung a screen outside the booth about 6' from the Simplex. Did I say anything incriminating?

wink.gif

post #2539 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sports fan View Post

OK all, I bought a 100 ft cat6 cord on the way home last night and ran it from my router downstairs to my Sony FMP-X1 upstairs. Perfect sizzling connection at 35mbps. Fired up the TV & media player.....

Nothing.

Same error on TV. Cannot connect to media player. Tried it with the TV network wired and wireless. So it's definitely not the network.

To quote Dr. Emmitt L. Brown, "My God. Do you know what this means? It means that this damn thing doesn't work at all!"

Any ideas on my next step?

I had a bad one too, and they send me a new one in 2 days. PM me I can give you a direct phone number to level 2 techs. They are not the first level folks who think it is you who set it up wrong.
The is no question the media player has some bugs. It is after all the first generation.

The second one they sent me still has a problem putting out HDMI 2 audiio. It worked for 30 minutes and then dropped out.
post #2540 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

ummm ok.

No sir. Not with the black levels at the theater.

You can always make mattes, btw.
post #2541 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I spoke to Sony and the store I got it from. The store is going to get in another TV for me in and then deliver it to me and I will hand the delivery man from the store the old tv. - Early next week some time all this should happen.

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
CENTRE: KEF Q600c - FRONT L/R: KEF Q900 - WIDE FRONT L/R: KEF Q300
SURROUND L/R: KEF Q800DS's - SURROUND BACK L/R: MINX 21's
SUB: SVS PC13-ULTRA
post #2542 of 11442 Old 10-09-2013, 11:06 PM

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

I spoke to Sony and the store I got it from. The store is going to get in another TV for me in and then deliver it to me and I will hand the delivery man from the store the old tv. - Early next week some time all this should happen.

Hope your new one works out a lot better!
post #2543 of 11442 Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
4K is the future: A tour in Sony's Hollywood studios.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1376977424
post #2544 of 11442 Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

What is the setting on the TV that allows the tv to dim or not automatically?

post #2545 of 11442 Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

What beats me, is that all the proposed calibrations have most of the stuff turned OFF!?

What's the point of having all these settings in the first place?

Again, i get that paranoid feeling we may be wasting something precious.

post #2546 of 11442 Old 10-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

then turn them all on, and decide for your self what you prefer; not everyone wants things the same...
post #2547 of 11442 Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What beats me, is that all the proposed calibrations have most of the stuff turned OFF!?

What's the point of having all these settings in the first place?

Again, i get that paranoid feeling we may be wasting something precious.

#1 point in any "calibration" is what is pleasing to the end user. Some people love the torch modes, super bright, super blue, 10k or higher whites. Some prefer calibrated to studio standards ISF D65 etc, and some are somewhere in between these.

When a calibration is performed any feature that takes the picture away from ISF standards, or has a detrimental effect is turned off, things like dynamic contrast.

Perhaps users should use the term "calibration" for just that, and "preferences" or "setup" or whatever for anything besides a true calibration.

CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #2548 of 11442 Old 10-10-2013, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm using AustinJerry's settings and only got to play around with it for about an hour last night. Took a quick pic. This is being output by my media center PC directly to the TV. I'm really liking this set so far.

Gaming is really smooth on the TV vs. the VT60 I just sent back. Everyone says gaming is great on Plasma because of the refresh rate but I saw so much ghosting during horizontal pans but there is very little of that on this set. Can't wait to play more tonight after work.

post #2549 of 11442 Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 AM

Liked: 59
Yes, thanks!

BTW, is there a way to connect a bluetooth keyboard to the XBR65X900A without the use of a computer?
Also, can we can more than one custom display user setting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Sorry, when you asked your question originally, it came in the middle of a conversation about AppleTV. If you read my response, I say that the X900 will display the resolution for signals coming from an external source. I use the AppleTV to stream Netflix, not the X900 app. The TV's Netflix, being an internal app, does not allow the signal resolution to be displayed. I can assure you, however, that the max resolution on a Netflix signal is currently 1080p. I hope this clears it up.
post #2550 of 11442 Old 10-10-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chiu View Post

Also, can we can more than one custom display user setting?

IIUC, you are asking whether the set can store different settings, depending on what is being watched? The answer is yes. Each picture mode has its own memory that is invoked when that mode is selected. So, for example, you can tune the Game mode for games, Cinema1 for 2D Blu-ray's, Cinema2 for 3D, etc.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page