Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
please post your new settings. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I updated my display settings in the post referenced in my signature.  I have two calibrations now, one for a gamma of 2.2, and one for a gamma of 2.4.  I'm still trying to decide which looks better--the differences are subtle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chiu View Post

please post your new settings. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473062/official-sony-x9-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread/1680#post_23738351
post #2793 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I found the best position on my 65 inch screen was about one third the way down from the top. Use a little Scotch tape first to tack it temporarily in position and experiment with it to see which gives you the best result. When you have decided where it looks best to you, then peel off the backing and press it into place.

Any idea of what the color temperature of this light is? I can't find any info on it from the Antec site.

EDIT: Never mind, I missed AustinJerry's post with the specs.
post #2794 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 64

no one knows if it's possible to make a sort of backup of all those settings??

post #2795 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post

no one knows if it's possible to make a sort of backup of all those settings??

Not that I know of, other than to write them on a piece of paper.  I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to store my settings.  You may download a blank version for your personal use here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/XBR-X900%20Settings%20Template.zip

Geoff D and mitico303 like this.
post #2796 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Quote:

+1. I can't stress enough the importance of experimenting with the placement before permanently attaching it. And do the tests in a dark room. Depending on where you place a bias light, you can get some undesirable shadows, or too bright a reflection off the back wall. Properly placed, the bias light reduces eye fatigue and improves the perception of picture quality.

The Ideal Lume, by CinemaQuest, which I recommended previously, has an adjustment to control to brightness of the light, which makes it ideal.

Oh??

It will only work in a dark room?

There isn't much point to bias lighting in a lit room - but if the room lighting is dim, it may still help as the bias light is coming straight at you. The idea is that it makes your pupil contract which in turn increases perceived contrast. Also, because the bias light is constant, your pupil needs to expand and contract less when the image goes from bright to dark and back again, and this can also relieve eye fatigue.

post #2797 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Not that I know of, other than to write them on a piece of paper.  I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to store my settings.  You may download a blank version for your personal use here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/XBR-X900%20Settings%20Template.zip

thanks, me too.. I've created a word document for every setting..

post #2798 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

I'm using a 40w incandescent vanity bulb behind my TV against a yellow wall.  I've been on record stating that I don't care if it gives an ISF calibrator a stroke.  It works fantastically!  A blank white wall might be a better candidate for a 25w, but heck.  It's far from a finesse operation.  smile.gif

At a minimum, you should purchase a bulb that has a 6500 Kelvin color temperature. The color temperature is very important for a bias light. The wrong color, e.g. cool white or warm, will distort the color balance of your display. A 6500 Kelvin bulb should be available from a store like Home Depot, or a specialty lighting store.

Common belief, but I maintain that what you said is complete overkill.  Carefully targeting a particular color temperature light source does you absolutely no good unless you understand the reflectance characteristics of the wall.  Especially in my case where my wall is yellow.

And even if your wall is leaving the bias light color temperature alone it's job is to partially close the iris (room lighting cannot do this properly because it'll raise the likelihood of specular reflectance showing up in the screen, and light directly striking the LCD array), and unless the color is absurdly pronounced, it will not distort the color coming directly from the TV.

Ideally the walls should be 18% gray of course. You are right that the colour of the walls can pollute the image. It is also very difficult to 'calibrate out' the effect of coloured walls because the light intensity hitting the walls is constantly changing. But I agree with Jerry - the correct colour temperature of the bias light should still be 6500k - two wrongs not making a right etc. Just because it is a bad idea to have coloured walls reflecting light off them and onto the display doesn't justify adding a further problem by having an incorrect colour temperature for the bias light. Additionally, bias lighting is meant to be used in a dark room, so the amount of ambient light from the TV striking the walls and being reflected back should be pretty low.

Fortunately our brains are pretty good at compensating for these things. A good example of this is that a white shirt still looks white under fluorescent office lighting, whereas in reality it has a strong green tinge.

post #2799 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:

Fortunately our brains are pretty good at compensating for these things. A good example of this is that a white shirt still looks white under fluorescent office lighting

The phenomenon of color/shade recognition is related to the neurocircuitry of Color Constancy and is something that almost no one knows about.  And it's a great thing to keep in mind when an ISF calibrator starts talking about "real world" colors (which they should never do anyway, because the last thing anyone wants out of a TV is real life).

I've posted the classic checkerboard images many times.  It's something that can sometimes meet enormous resistance too until they see the proof.  Truly amazing and fun stuff.  But it's among the various things that made me loose interest in the idea that color correction science even matters (back in the 80's when I was deeply interested in color model algorithms).

For folks who have never seen what the brain can do for color/shade recognition, consider: which square is darker, A, or B?

(Both squares are actually the same exact shade)

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #2800 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Fortunately our brains are pretty good at compensating for these things. A good example of this is that a white shirt still looks white under fluorescent office lighting

The phenomenon of color/shade recognition is related to the neurocircuitry of Color Constancy and is something that almost no one knows about.  And it's a great thing to keep in mind when an ISF calibrator starts talking about "real world" colors (which they should never do anyway, because the last thing anyone wants out of a TV is real life).

I've posted the classic checkerboard images many times.  It's something that can sometimes meet enormous resistance too until they see the proof.  Truly amazing and fun stuff.  But it's among the various things that made me loose interest in the idea that color correction science even matters (back in the 80's when I was deeply interested in color model algorithms).

For folks who have never seen what the brain can do for color/shade recognition, consider: which square is darker, A, or B?

(Both squares are actually the same exact shade)

Excellent. In my lifelong career in advertising, I worked for many years for clients in the fashion industry, so we paid enormous attention to getting colours right for the various garments, lingerie and swimsuits (no guessing which was my favourite area). We had light controlled viewing rooms for the 10x8 colour transparencies, with 18% gray walls and so on with elaborate lightboxes with calibrated lighting and all that. Then we passed it on to printers and let them wreck it all :)  I'm not sure I agree with you that colour correction science doesn't matter, but I take your general point.

post #2801 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post

can you share your settings??

Picture Mode Cinema
Backlight 5
Picture 86
Brightness 49
Color 40 (use 50 if you don't want to use Live Color)
Hue 0
Color temperature warm 2
Sharpness 50
Noise reduction off
MPEG noise reduction off
Dot noise reduction off
Reality Creation Manual
Mastered in 4k on
Video are detection off
Resolution 20
Noise filtering min
Smooth gradation medium
Motionflow standard
CineMotion auto

Black corrector off
Adv. Contrast enhancer medium
Gamma -2
Led dynamic control standard
Auto light off
Clear white off
Live color Low (if you dont like triluminous just turn it off)
White balance

Rg -4
Gg -1
Bg 0
Rb -1
Gb +1
Bb 0

Detail enhancer low
Edge enhancer off
Skin naturalizer off

Sorry for answering late man!!! Let me know if u like it ok
post #2802 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40

Guys

there's a red light flashing under the sony icon at bottom of tv...the tv will not turn on??

Any ideas?

post #2803 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Guys
there's a red light flashing under the sony icon at bottom of tv...the tv will not turn on??

Any ideas?

I will say unplug it and plug it on
post #2804 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgsm View Post

I will say unplug it and plug it on

Thanks

it works now...

Silly red light.

post #2805 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podolski View Post

Picture Mode Cinema
Backlight 5
Picture 86
Brightness 49
Color 40 (use 50 if you don't want to use Live Color)
Hue 0
Color temperature warm 2
Sharpness 50
Noise reduction off
MPEG noise reduction off
Dot noise reduction off
Reality Creation Manual
Mastered in 4k on
Video are detection off
Resolution 20
Noise filtering min
Smooth gradation medium
Motionflow standard
CineMotion auto

Black corrector off
Adv. Contrast enhancer medium
Gamma -2
Led dynamic control standard
Auto light off
Clear white off
Live color Low (if you dont like triluminous just turn it off)
White balance

Rg -4
Gg -1
Bg 0
Rb -1
Gb +1
Bb 0

Detail enhancer low
Edge enhancer off
Skin naturalizer off

Sorry for answering late man!!! Let me know if u like it ok

I like it , but for low light rooms.

it looks a tad dark here in florida.. I have sun coming into the bed room

post #2806 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 11:50 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks
it works now...
Silly red light.

If that didn't work, it looks like Sony has a video for doing a factory reset for that issue as well.

Pioneer Kuro PRO-151FD | KRP-500M | PDP-5020FD | PDP-4280HD

Pioneer Elite SC-05 | VSX-01TXH | BDP-23FD

Bowers & Wilkins CM8 | CM-Center | M-1

http://sean-scott.com

post #2807 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 11:55 AM

Liked: 11
I'm looking at these TVs for an academic environment to show 3D simulations and I can't seem to find if the TV is actually shipping with HDMI 2.0 ports yet. I saw earlier in this threat that someone mentioned a DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 cable. I'm looking to do passive 3D at 60fps rather than 24fps, so I need the increased bandwidth of the newer connections.

On Sony's site, the specs mention a "HDMI PC Input". Is that higher bandwidth than the regular HDMI ports or are they just saying you can use a PC over HDMI?

Thanks,
Sean

Pioneer Kuro PRO-151FD | KRP-500M | PDP-5020FD | PDP-4280HD

Pioneer Elite SC-05 | VSX-01TXH | BDP-23FD

Bowers & Wilkins CM8 | CM-Center | M-1

http://sean-scott.com

post #2808 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I like it , but for low light rooms.
it looks a tad dark here in florida.. I have sun coming into the bed room
well you can use backlight on 7 and picture on 90. Let me know if that works!!!!
post #2809 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.scott View Post

On Sony's site, the specs mention a "HDMI PC Input". Is that higher bandwidth than the regular HDMI ports or are they just saying you can use a PC over HDMI?

That is just saying that you can use a PC over HDMI. The only differences with the HDMI ports are that HDMI 4 uses the new HDCP 2.2 copy protection protocol, HDMI 1 supports ARC and HDMI 3 (side) supports MHL. All 4 ports currently are HDMI 1.4 compliant only and support the exact same bandwidth. Although, with Sony's mention of an HDMI 2.0 upgrade via firmware later this year it would appear that they have already planned for this with their internal hardware.

I hope that helps.

post #2810 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownriggd View Post

got back a reply from Sony engineering regarding the highly visible scan lines on the 55 inch models.

"These TVs are packing 4x the pixel density of a Full HD TV of the same size. This decreases the pitch (spacing) between each pixel creating a challenge when the retarder is placed on the LCD. The smaller the set gets the smaller the pitch becomes making this challenge even more difficult. As such, trade offs had to be made to optimize the picture quality of the 55” for 3D and those faint lines are a result of some of these trade offs. Without those faint lines we would be giving up a lot in terms of vertical viewing angle in 3D and crosstalk between the left and right eyes."

They describe the lines as faint but for me they were very visible and even more horrendous in 3D to the point it was like looking through a venetian blind with jagged edges and all. To be fair I'm hearing that some people are more sensitive to the lines than others, but definitely check out the set before buying.

I've traded up to the 65 incher and the picture is pristine and the 3D phenomenal...

Aha! I knew I wasn't going crazy re: the lines on the 55". Still, it really does seem like some folks can see them and others can't (either that or they sit too far away, I'm at 9ft but can still make out a trace of the line structure every now and then). It's good to get an answer nonetheless.
post #2811 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I can see the lines in 2D and 3D although in 2D it isn't a problem because you really need to go very close to the screen to see them, At normal viewing distance they are not visible. 3D though is now annoying me. At first I didn't mind because I was loving the passive at 1080p but now the lines annoy the hell out of me. They actually create jaggies around edges of moving images which I see more and more. I just wish I had the space for a 65". frown.gif

Why is they always at least one annoying thing with TV's.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #2812 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post

I can see the lines in 2D and 3D although in 2D it isn't a problem because you really need to go very close to the screen to see them, At normal viewing distance they are not visible. 3D though is now annoying me. At first I didn't mind because I was loving the passive at 1080p but now the lines annoy the hell out of me. They actually create jaggies around edges of moving images which I see more and more. I just wish I had the space for a 65". frown.gif

Why is they always at least one annoying thing with TV's.

I just wish I had the space for a 65". frown.gif

where do u live? in a cardboard box?

Make space for it ....get a sledge hammer and knock down some walls !!!

post #2813 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 03:39 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I just wish I had the space for a 65". frown.gif

where do u live? in a cardboard box?
Make space for it ....get a sledge hammer and knock down some walls !!!

You could say that.....The UK.
wase4711 and philcox1984 like this.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #2814 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.scott View Post

I'm looking at these TVs for an academic environment to show 3D simulations and I can't seem to find if the TV is actually shipping with HDMI 2.0 ports yet. I saw earlier in this threat that someone mentioned a DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 cable. I'm looking to do passive 3D at 60fps rather than 24fps, so I need the increased bandwidth of the newer connections.

Thanks,
Sean

The panasonic 4k is HDMI 2.0

post #2815 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Guys 

I have been busy trying to stream 4k content to the sony tv.

I had found a software package called power dvd ultra that can stream 4k content. This software sees the sony tv and streams to it. However the tv refuses to play 4k content.

I even took the 4k content into Adobe Premiere Pro cc, which has 4k output capability.

I tried changing various formats H.264 AND MPEG as output from Adobe.

The tv still refuses to play them.

I guess the only way is to attach the pc to the sony via HDMI cable.

post #2816 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 04:54 PM

Liked: 29
I thought about buying a video card that would support 4K for my media center but I think the actual Media Center app would look weird with too small of text if the desktop was that large of resolution.

I'm crossing my fingers that Apple announces a new Apple TV box on Tuesday and that they support 4K.
post #2817 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post

You could say that.....The UK.

Ahh that explains everything.

Sorry.. we are a little spoiled here in the USA..with wide open floor plans.

Irony has it.. that I am British too...but live in Florida. I feel your pain...however...that is not a reason to give up.

Get creative !!

post #2818 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laakness View Post

I thought about buying a video card that would support 4K for my media center but I think the actual Media Center app would look weird with too small of text if the desktop was that large of resolution.

I'm crossing my fingers that Apple announces a new Apple TV box on Tuesday and that they support 4K.

Well the nuvola NP-1 will be here shortly

http://www.nuvola4k.com/

I doubt Apple will do the same..I can't imagine itunes streaming 4k content.

post #2819 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 PM

Liked: 10

Just purchased the 65" 4k sony tv. Disappointed with the picture while watching sports. When watching a football game on fox or espn, when then camera pulls back and takes a view from further away the picture becomes grainy. When the camera does an up close shot its very clear. Went to best buy and theirs do the same thing. Was wondering if its a camera issue or a tv issue? Seems like an awful lot of money to get similar picture on a lot less expensive tv. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

post #2820 of 11459 Old 10-18-2013, 05:23 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefu15 View Post

Just purchased the 65" 4k sony tv. Disappointed with the picture while watching sports. When watching a football game on fox or espn, when then camera pulls back and takes a view from further away the picture becomes grainy. When the camera does an up close shot its very clear. Went to best buy and theirs do the same thing. Was wondering if its a camera issue or a tv issue? Seems like an awful lot of money to get similar picture on a lot less expensive tv. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If you are watching OTA, I can't help you, but if you are using say a DirecTV or some type of cable box, make sure that it is set to output to the TV at either 1080i or 1080p. I think you will find that will make the picture MUCH better!!!

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page