AVS Forum banner
1M views 14K replies 666 participants last post by  impetigo 
#1 ·
This thread is for X90 [X9] UHD TV owners to post all observations, comments and questions.

Model #'s:

US: [X90] XBR-55X900A & XBR-65X900A

UK: [X9] KD-55X9005A & KD-65X9005A

JP: KD-55X9200A & KD-65X9200A

#3 ·
I have the 65x900a as well. So far quite happy with the picture quality. I know there was the reservation about the black level during the VE shootout but I find the black level quite good. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the edge of the tv where the speakers are when there's a black scene.

#4 ·
I was going to get it calibrated but I am waiting for the 4K content to arrive. I will need to find someone with enough experience to calibrate it to take advantage of the trluminous display. By the way I really love the passive 3D on this set. Blows away any plasma.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1  /t/1473062/official-sony-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread#post_23325043

I was going to get it calibrated but I am waiting for the 4K content to arrive. I will need to find someone with enough experience to calibrate it to take advantage of the trluminous display. By the way I really love the passive 3D on this set. Blows away any plasma.

The passive 3D is second to none. Even 2D>3D conversion is leagues beyond any other set.

Sony's "Cinema 1" mode (found in Scene Select menu) looks very accurate for the "D6500" crowd. But for those who live beyond the standards cranking up Live Color will let you see the true power of Triluminos.

#6 ·
Just bought a new XBR-55X900A and love it from hhGregg. All the stores and online are selling them for the same price-the only difference being state sales tax rates They had over 30 in stock so they are available in advance of the reported 5/20 ship date.

Despite numerous posts, the screen picture is much brighter/vibrant and sharper with better color, yet smooth pixel-less for regular network broadcasts. Blu-ray disk movies are improved with sharpness, better color, and a picture that "grabs you", so I do not agree with some posts that the picture is the same as the 1080p TVs. The up scaling is noticeable. Also YouTube is now offering 4K videos so you can see what new source material will look like. Not sure what the new Blu-ray disks with 4K mastering will do for this new 4K TV. Sony provides via mail 3 of these disks when buying the new 4K TVs The biggest improvement for me was the exceptional sound quality and passive 3D. The difference between my 2 year old NX810 and this X900A is remarkable

My sound is better than I was getting using a Boston Acoustics sound bar (w/subwoofer) with my old TV. The sound is very close to my Bose system. Very happy with the new speakers. And yes my 55inch takes up by 60" entertainment center space or I would have purchased the 65" TV. But I am happy with the new speakers and the fact they are attached makes for a good looking TV. My wife is very happy as the new TV looks great with her furniture instead of a sound bar popping out of a wall or corner. These new speakers produce an exceptional sound better than any Sony TV I have ever had including those that had front mounted speakers. There are 6 speakers with a total 65watts

The 3D is exceptional, as good as a movie theater with great 3D depth and a brighter picture (my 2 complaints with the NX810). Much better depth and much sharper than my previous Sony TV (NX810). Also the simulated 3D is also good. And the passive 3D is easy on your eyes. Just watched Avatar 3D and my eyes are not tired as they would be with an active 3D. 3D is now worth watching and the glasses are light on your ears as they are only a thin plastic (no batteries)

Price is steep but happy with the purchase

Also Sony provides three free Blue-Ray Mastered in 4K disks. See www.sony.com/RegisterMy4K

Also the new Sony BDP-S790 blue-ray player upscales Blue-Ray to 4K and passes it to the X900 via the new hi speed HDMI cables that are available for under $10. My X900 display data reports a 4K signal received when using a normal Blu-ray disk so I am hoping the new Mastered in 4K disks will make a difference (vote still out). But YouTube also has many 4K videos available that you can stream via the YouTube app. This app makes it easy to shift the YouTube video from your iPad to the X900 display and the video appears to be 4K-certainly much better than any of the YouTube HD videos.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldm823  /t/1473062/official-sony-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread#post_23325591

Also Sony provides three free Blue-Ray Mastered in 4K disks. See www.sony.com/RegisterMy4K

Nice to know. It's wise to wait until after return period is up because the fine print states your 4K device is not returnable after redeeming the offer.

#9 ·
What's going on - all the 4K Blu-rays listed for May 14 to 23 at Amazon.ca - not available. FS and BB were suppose to get them in for the 23rd - nowhere in sight?

Still listed at amazon.com, but for how long? Damm, won't get to try that newer version of Total Recall 2012 re the audio dropouts on Bitstream.

#12 ·
So I have a little issue with my 65". There is a 16 inch crack running down the side of the tv where the side panel isn't black. Not sure if they forgot to paint that or whatever they do to get it black.

Anyway, spoke with Sony about the issue and sent them pictures. First they setup an exchange and told me a new unit would be here in a week.

Next morning I get a phone call at 8am telling me they've decided not to exchange my unit and this is a completely "NORMAL" viewing condition according to their US engineers and their Japanese engineers.

After being on the phone for 2 hours with them they told me it was normal and that I have two options. Option 1 - For me to haul the 118lb tv to my local store to exchange it, which of course they don't have any in stock, and I also have a condition as well which prevents me from doing so, so I would have to hire people to take it down. Option 2 - I could return it and pay the astronomical return shipping fees.

Does this look like a normal viewing condition for a $7k TV?

#13 ·
And this is why I don't want a Sony.... Crappy customer service...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbart11  /t/1473062/official-sony-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread#post_23330467

So I have a little issue with my 65". There is a 16 inch crack running down the side of the tv where the side panel isn't black. Not sure if they forgot to paint that or whatever they do to get it black.

Anyway, spoke with Sony about the issue and sent them pictures. First they setup an exchange and told me a new unit would be here in a week.

Next morning I get a phone call at 8am telling me they've decided not to exchange my unit and this is a completely "NORMAL" viewing condition according to their US engineers and their Japanese engineers.

After being on the phone for 2 hours with them they told me it was normal and that I have two options. Option 1 - For me to haul the 118lb tv to my local store to exchange it, which of course they don't have any in stock, and I also have a condition as well which prevents me from doing so, so I would have to hire people to take it down. Option 2 - I could return it and pay the astronomical return shipping fees.

Does this look like a normal viewing condition for a $7k TV?

#14 ·
We just got our display 65" XBR 4k TV and like the others have stated, it is truly a remarkable TV. The biggest thing that jumped out at me after un-boxing it was that it looked nothing like the pic on the Sony website. The speakers on the sides blend in with the screen, , they aren't grey like the pics show. It is truly a TV you have to see in person.

Colors are out of this world, the demo disk they sent with it really shows them off.

#16 ·
wonder if I will run into any issues if I return the TV to BB or Frys in the case that I don't like it. I have the sharp elite but really want to get a passive 3D set, just not sure how Sony performs while compared to elite side by side for other aspects, such as black level, contrast etc.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1  /t/1473062/official-sony-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread#post_23331054

Demo disks? Hmmm I never got demo disks with my set.

We received a demo disk because we are a Sony retailer, it does not come with the TV.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1  /t/1473062/official-sony-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread#post_23325043

That's funny because nobody agreed at the shootout. Plasma > LED LCD

#21 ·

Quote:
Black Level: The XBR8 has the most extreme black level (moreso than Kuro as measured by CNet review). So if XBR8 is a "10", then XBR-900 is maybe 8.5.

Well, that's not accurate.

However, I am interested to hear from a few owners on here what drove them to fork out the required cash for the X900's (in any size)

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL  /t/1473062/official-sony-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread#post_23333230

whats the issue with the photo you posted mbart? i dont see it.

The black part of the right side of the panel underneath the front glass is not solid black. There is a spot they missed and there is a crack that is letting out light from the backlight.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbart11  /t/1473062/official-sony-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread#post_23334282

The black part of the right side of the panel underneath the front glass is not solid black. There is a spot they missed and there is a crack that is letting out light from the backlight.

From what I'm seeing, it looks like someone, or something, scratched one of the layers.

Next opinion: hearing as to they have actual printers printing some of the layers, the printer had a print head malfunction, then unjammed itself, but in the meantime, missed an area.

#24 ·
So what HT processor will work well with this set? The Obvious choice would be the Sony ES Receiver with the 4K passthrough on three inputs. I currently have a Theta Intrepid that I use for an amp and would like to upgrade my Processor without having to go the Receiver route. Any suggestions?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy  /t/1473062/official-sony-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread#post_23336533

So what HT processor will work well with this set? The Obvious choice would be the Sony ES Receiver with the 4K passthrough on three inputs. I currently have a Theta Intrepid that I use for an amp and would like to upgrade my Processor without having to go the Receiver route. Any suggestions?

There is no best match preamp for this TV, you are going to get tons of answers. I'll tell you my favorite right now, but don't want to derail the thread from the Sony XBR itself. It all depends on what features you want and price point. I am using a Marantz AV8801 preamp in my theater (which will get a 65 XBR shortly) and it has 4k scaling and 4k passthrough. If you want other suggestions, shoot me a PM and I can give them to you.