Controlling LG TV with Magic Remote using the Dish Network Remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I purchased LG 55 inch LED 3D TV (model 55LA6970) from Costco last week. This TV uses the LG "Magic Remote". I would like to control the basic TV functions such as power on/off, volume, mute, etc using the Dish Network remote. I tried all codes I found on the internet for LG TVs, and also tried the code scanning described here (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070802143247AACoINJ). However, I could not find a code that would allow me to use the Dish Network remote to control this TV.

Is it even possible to control these TVs with the so called magic remote using a universal remote such as Dish Network?

Thanks,
j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-31-2013, 05:36 PM

Hello there. You may have already found a solution for this, but if not, here is one method for doing this.

You must first "un-pair" the magic remote from the TV. This is done by pressing the Back and Home buttons at the same time for about 5-10 seconds (you'll know it's unpaired because the arrow will disappear and doesn't reappear when you shake the remote). Un-pairing the remote and TV apparently disables (?) the RF signal function from the remote control and allows a "learning" (universal) remote to access/read/process (?) the magic remotes IR signals. (someone stop me if I'm talking out of my ass...)

After the magic remote is un-paired, just follow the universal (dish network) remote's instructions on how to learn commands/signals from another remote (the magic remote). Once the universal remote is setup and working, you can actually re-pair the magic remote with the TV (done my pressing the OK/scroll wheel button), thus allowing you to use both remotes on the TV, if need be . . . and unfortunately, it need be (read on).

There is one caveat to this, and it's pretty major . . . unfortunately, since the OK/scroll wheel button is used to re-pair the magic remote to the TV, every time you use/press the equivalent "OK" button on the universal remote the TV thinks you're trying to re-pair a magic remote and tries to register (pair) that remote. This of course fails, and subsequently, the OK/Enter command fails. So, in essence, you can navigate throughout the TV's menus and Home screen with the universal remote,say, to the Netflix app, but as soon as you press OK/Enter to open Netflix, the TV tries registering the remote. Kind of a huge bummer...really defeats the purpose. (sorry if I just wasted your time!)
If any other community member(s) knows a fix/work-around for this, please share. It would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, hope at least part of this helped you!

kf
post #3 of 6 Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM

twindad2k1 - thank you so much for your post! I was sitting here with the Magic Remote in one hand and a Sony learning remote in the other totally frustrated at how to get the Sony to learn when it was apparent the LG wasn't sending anything over IR. All I wanted was to learn the dang 3D and Smart buttons.

Your solution worked perfectly and now I'm able to remove yet one more unnecessary remote.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
......or you could get a Harmony and pretty much duplicate all of the functions of your LG and Dish remote.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-03-2014, 01:27 PM

Ended up doing it the other way around.  With a 42LS5700

Used the universal remote function to teach the satellite remote to control the TV.  Works good enough, there are a few minor things like switching between sound outputs have to use the TV remote

post #6 of 6 Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 AM

i see, you right, Works good enough, there are a few minor things like switching between sound outputs have to use the TV remote,

8Lw9Te

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55 Inch Led Smart 3d Wi Fi 55la6970
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page