LCD Screens with Protective Front Glass - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I liked the Sony designs that used gorilla glass in front of the LCD panel, but I have read that Sony have abandoned that. I worry that a bare panel is vulnerable to accidental damage. I'm not particularly expecting to cause any such damage, but I dislike the idea of avoidable fragility.

Are there any current LCD TVs with protective front glass (or a glass substitute)?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-18-2013, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am completely with you here, not only is it much easier to clean and extra protective, it also looks a lot better--design wise (HX850). Unfortunately as you mentioned, Sony is going cheap-o mode with their newer high end TVs, and no other manufacturer (AFAIK) makes TVs with a front glass panel.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-19-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Yes, does seem like a step backwards for Sony.

I used to think that all LCD displays would have some sort of separate protective layer, but then I saw this disassembly video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uar1HI8KgGk

In that video it looks as though the LCD layer has been damaged. As you can see, the front surface of the Samsung D8000 display is the LCD matrix layer itself. I would imagine there is some protective element or coating on that, but it's very thin (1mm or less) and flexible and it just doesn't look very hard/strong. It reminds me in some ways of a piece of 35mm film, but it is of course much larger. Given how thin it is, anything deeper than a very shallow scratch could potentially stop the display functioning properly.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-19-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Yeah, another step backward in terms of quality. Sony had a leg up over the competition with its Gorilla Glass, and they were stupid and dropped it this year. I own the Samsung F8000, and it's extremely fragile, as with all LCD panels. It scares me to think of how easy it is to crack the panel accidentally. I grew up with CRTs, and you could literally throw your keys or remote at the screen and likely not damage it. Now I'm afraid if I lean over the set and my keys happen to smack the panel, it might be enough to actually crack the panel. I just cannot fathom how sets this expensive do not have a durable protective layer over the panel. I was hoping since Sony has been using Gorilla Glass, other companies would have come up with their own type of super-strong glass panel by now - instead, it's the opposite, and not only has nobody else done it - Sony dropped it. Mind-boggling really.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Samsung 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Un65d8000
Gear in this thread - Un65d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page