58" LED Panels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I find it interesting that both Panasonic and TCL are using this panel. I'm not sure if anybody else will market the 58" panel, but I find it curious that a major Chinese, as well as, Japanese company both come out with this product. Who makes this panel? And, will it harm the credibility of quality control with Panasonic, unless Panasonic makes it..?? I personally like the 58" size, but I'm hesitant to purchase the Panasonic until I know more about the pedigree of the panel. TCL is intent to grab market share away from the South Koreans, which took market share from the Japanese, so it looks like we are going to see aggressive marketing and pricing from China.......

Comments please.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
The TCL panels I've seen here in Ecuador, which btw, are made here have better quality pictures than anything else I've seen lately. On the latest models what I won't like is the aluminum frame, the older ones were black. I don't know what they were thinking.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks 4DHD for your comment. I did not know that TCL panels were made in Ecuador, although it may be to supply the demand of South America. Wonder where else they are made besides China? Good to know they have a good picture. I did find out that Panasonic has a panel manufacturing facility in Japan, but not sure if they build the 58" screen?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanzero View Post

Thanks 4DHD for your comment. I did not know that TCL panels were made in Ecuador, although it may be to supply the demand of South America. Wonder where else they are made besides China? Good to know they have a good picture. I did find out that Panasonic has a panel manufacturing facility in Japan, but not sure if they build the 58" screen?

TCL is a multi-national company. The panels made here are only sold here, I think, or maybe the rest of Latin America as well.
So as they are made here, I do not have to pay import taxes all the other brands sold here have added.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 384
"TCL and Samsung jointly own the CSOT of Shenzhen, China. ( China Star Optoelectronics Technology )
panel mfr that is making the Gen 8.5
4k panel in westinghouse digital's $300,000 110" 4k built to order set.
TCL and Samsung also use the CSOT 110-inch panel
They also make other less expensive 2K and 4K and panels for
Samsung and TCL and others ." -HDTV magazine -

Just some things I stumbled upon while reading at HDTV magazine

TCL TV's are assembled in various countries with CSOT or other China mfr panels and boards There are a couple of TV brands assembled in the US some of the Element models and two other small brands from the same parent front company for example but all china parts. TCL assembles sets in Europe and sells them under the Alcatel brand there .Sony used to assemble some Trinitrons in San Diego in the early 90's .
they no longer make RCA brand sets since ~2010 they are expanding the TCL brand instead They do make some Samsung models however.

Lots of stuff for the north American markets are assembled in Mexico now .VW ,GM and Soon to be Chrysler and other major auto mfrs are assembling some models in Mexico now for the US and other markets. (N.A.F.T.A. )

This is common with many other brands and different products of all kinds to avoid local tariffs and also for logistical and geopolitical reasons
They are assembled from "knock down kits"

I have a 2012 Toshiba TV "assembled in China " I'm assuming in that case Toshiba sourced most of the parts from themselves maybe Japan or Taiwan parts ... good set though. They do a lot of that in other industries also .

.Other sets I have say Made in China in that case I assume most of the parts are also.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Old 06-08-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Great post and very informative. Looks like the electronics, along with a lot more stuff, we purchase is like a multi-national puzzle......Some seem to work better than others though, and that is why I am on AVS..............

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread