Official Seiki SE50UY04 50-Inch 4K UHD Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 431 Old 11-07-2014, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile

Hi YungMoni, I have to say I am very interested in what you are trying to do here. Would you be able to comment either way as to whether or not you have made any advancements with the firmware mod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 431 Old 11-08-2014, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungMoni View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unbricking Instructions: - Works the same way for the 39".

7. Turn on the TV, install method with the TV powered off and auto install does not work (don't even try).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The powered off method works if you hold down the power button for twenty seconds while you reconnect power to the power cord.

The Seiki web site did not mention holding down the power button, but the Linux distribution from which I think the Seiki firmware is derived (Pivos AIOS at code.google.com) mentioned holding down some other button during power up to trigger the update process.

I once broke my 39" Seiki with my attempt at custom firmware in a way that made it ignore the remote control after power on. I was able to recover this way.

Do this at your own risk, and I won't be responsible if you fry your television, but you've crossed that Rubicon already if you're building modified firmware, in which case, I would say that you should definitely try this, because knowing that you can recover from this earlier stage of the boot process gives you a stronger safety net for more experimentation.
Mr Bigins likes this.
post #273 of 431 Old 11-10-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I tried YungMoni original idea, bricked by Seiki 50" 4K, but you can restore if you have the original or updated firmware. However I found that holding down the Menu button (side of tv) on plugging in the tv was the only way to recover. Otherwise I had a black screen with a little flicker and zero remote. Ouch. All good though, full recovery.

Really was hoping to get YungMoni cool upgrades working.
post #274 of 431 Old 11-10-2014, 09:16 AM

Yeah, I was a little apprehensive to try it as I just bought my TV and have it running pretty good with the ATSC_THTF_SY14343_ST2975C_CMI_V500dk1_P01_20140707 .zip firmware.

I have to say I'm a little surprised nobody else has tried to recompile YungMoni's work, or at least give a crack at doing something similarly awesome.

I'd try to learn, but I'm so busy with work I don't have the extra time atm.
post #275 of 431 Old 11-11-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Blanking and blinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorje View Post
To my knowledge the signal loss (which you call blinking - I used to call it blanking, but that refers to another thing also so I'll go with blinking from now on) is always caused by the HDMI cable. Many people have reported that the blue HDMI that comes with the TV will cause blinking at higher throughput (pixel clock) levels.

For some other technical info, check out the thread "
Playing with my Seiki se39uy04. Got it to do 1440p at 60hz. Playing with other custom stuff." at overclock.net.

With a bit of care and effort, you should be able to get 3840x2160@30, 1920x1080@120, and 1280x720@120 working (240 hz is possible for the 720 resolution but seems to cause frame skipping). For the latter two, you either need a custom firmware with the EDID added (so that the resolution is communicated to your computer) or use toastyx's custom resolution utility (CRU) and add those refresh rates directly (in Windows). These have the same pixel clock, around 300 million pixels per second, which is the limit of the hdmi 1.4 hardware.

With the 39" tv, factory firmware, an r9 280, aftermarket hdmi-hdmi cable, some addition of the above refresh rates via CRU, and turning GPU scaling OFF in CCC, I have all of the above refresh rates working with no noticable input lag. It's beautiful.
For the record I did change the cable where on one of the inputs I was using the blue Seiki cable. That eliminated the blanking entirely, at least on the new Mac Mini I'm now running which does support 4k directly btw.

I'm not sure about the blanking on PS4 or Xbox One which I connect to another input because one of the Seki 4K adapter cables comes with it's own cable so that can't be changed.
I have both the 4K cable and the 4K adapter (where you can change the cable) so I'll try both of those and see if I can a eliminate all blanking/blinking signal loss. The consoles were still getting occasional signal loss blinks last I checked.

I'm pretty satisfied with the default firmware if I can eliminate all the signal loss. Computer usage at 4K and Blu-ray playback on consoles is quite nice although the 1920x1080@120 could be a useful reason to go for a firmware update eventually.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #276 of 431 Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbelec View Post
I tried YungMoni original idea, bricked by Seiki 50" 4K, but you can restore if you have the original or updated firmware. However I found that holding down the Menu button (side of tv) on plugging in the tv was the only way to recover. Otherwise I had a black screen with a little flicker and zero remote. Ouch. All good though, full recovery.

Really was hoping to get YungMoni cool upgrades working.
Bingo! This did it! Thanks a ton!
post #277 of 431 Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pugrud View Post
A few clicks and I'm back on my computer (4k 30Hz) and the picture immediately looks clearer.
Any change in input lag?
post #278 of 431 Old 11-13-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pugrud View Post
In a moment of obvious insanity I downloaded this random link from a forum on the internet and flashed the ROM on my SE50UY04. I tried the power-off, power-on upgrade, but that didn't work, so I went into the maintenance menu and initiated a firmware upgrade.

Black screen and 45 seconds of nerve clenching red and blue flashing power LED later and the TV reboots to the setup menu. A few clicks and I'm back on my computer (4k 30Hz) and the picture immediately looks clearer.

Version Info now says:
Baseline Ver: 260
Customer Ver: Ver 1.0
Order Form: SY14343
Board Ver: ST2975C_R10.4
Panel Info: CMI_V500DK1_P01
Customer: SEIKI
Produce Date JUL 07 2014
Produce Time 20:09:19

I'm guessing that the Baseline version is the actual software version, Customer Ver is hardware?
Flashed this in my SE39UY04, and it works. Feels like mouse response is quicker, but its very subjective. It definitely *feels* better.

Thanks!
post #279 of 431 Old 11-13-2014, 07:09 PM

Hi Guys,
I'm a new owner of a SE39UY04, but I'm bothered about the somethings.
When I turn it on, there is a noise like that sound like "TUN" (short, but a little bit loud). Also, the volume on the number 1 is very loud and is hard to watch at night because it bother everybody.
Maybe it is a factory problem on my tv, but I just want make sure if no one is facing the same problems, in order to know if it is a real issue.
Just for information, I tried several firmwares, but nothing changed, the noise always happen when turn on and the volume 1 is very loud.
I also would like to ask the link to download the latest most recommended firmware, because the 50" firmware I know is from 2013.

Thanks!
post #280 of 431 Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutierre View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm a new owner of a SE39UY04, but I'm bothered about the somethings.
When I turn it on, there is a noise like that sound like "TUN" (short, but a little bit loud). Also, the volume on the number 1 is very loud and is hard to watch at night because it bother everybody.
Maybe it is a factory problem on my tv, but I just want make sure if no one is facing the same problems, in order to know if it is a real issue.
Just for information, I tried several firmwares, but nothing changed, the noise always happen when turn on and the volume 1 is very loud.
I also would like to ask the link to download the latest most recommended firmware, because the 50" firmware I know is from 2013.

Thanks!
Best FW I've found so far for the 39" is the one MasterTactician posted, which you can find the link on page 9 of this thread.
There are others, but this one is better.
post #281 of 431 Old 11-14-2014, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm back at It! Sorry for Leaving!

Sorry Guys, I have not been working on the mod of the 50" TV as I had real life situations that prevented me from modding the TV the way I wanted to. I am 21 and I works as a PC Repair technician, However I would love to thank a lot of people who wrote posts that made me want to continue modding the TV and those who gave me alternative methods on how to unbrick and etc (I will post at the bottom of this post).

Well, I am back at modding the TV! I would like to thank @MasterTactician for providing us with an apparent new Seiki Firmware that I will test and base the modding with. @Xevious I would still love your help if possible. I am also trying to contact a user by the name of @rxman who may be a helping hand in this project (due to the dedicated effort of EEPROM read and writing (maybe? not sure.)). Anyways, Please keep faith, all will come together.

BTW HDMI 1.4a is capable of doing 4K @60hz however it requires over-volting the HDMI slots, and you can only USE ONLY ONE PORT at a time. Meaning only the power cable and ONE SINGLE HDMI device can be connected, no HDMI hubs. I am not yet skilled in that area to do such power modifications via Software.

And as always, if you want to contribute, please do so, do not be afraid of GOVERNMENT. REBEL MY FELLOW...uhh...PEOPLE! REBEL!

Special Thanks goes out to:

@Dahlsim For being Kind and generous and showed me something useful, but forgot, and for being so damn sexy! (A** kissing)
@Xevious for 1st Seiki Mod and base FW
@MasterTactician for the link to the new FW
@Chris Pugrud for trying out the new FW so at least I know that it works.
@infodroid I have updated it but have not installed it as I am now using the new firmware as base, and I kinda lost my updated files.
@HappyHimitsu Thanks for appreciating my work and Sorry, again I have not been modding as of recent, but expect a tested build from me soon thanks to @totallyinsane and @jasonbelec for the information of power off option that was unknown to me. PM, so we can do modding together.

and very generous thanks to these members who complimented me in a way that almost made me cry (I wont because I am a DAMN MAN! (wipes away tears)):
@Dansq , @killahbeatz , @Rudy1 , @viewer s Like You, Thank You.
cardoski likes this.
post #282 of 431 Old 11-14-2014, 03:41 AM

Also, sorry @rxman I have to have 15 post before I can PM people but here is my response. I only have 12.

"Hi and thanks, I try to give out as much information as possible with this TV as I am broke and want to feel like I can make this excellent TV to the BEST TV. I am not exactly sure what you are asking but my answers are as follows. The Original ROM image (I think you mean the editable items) is located in Image.img\package2\squashfs1.img\usr\local\bin\Res ource. Technically, all files are editable. And I am not sure what you mean by the TSOP Board, If you want to modify the EEPROM they do have a UART board that supports wireless (whether by soldering a USB adapter to it or via USB) I do not know the exact location of the board as I have not took apart my TV at all, just modifying the software, that is all. Information, However, for the UART was opened by a guy who made this wireless post here --> http://www.zeroepoch.com/blog/se39uy04

In the meantime, I am looking up this new firmware Seiki Made and will attempt to see what the changes were and what I can do to make it better. "
post #283 of 431 Old 11-14-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHimitsu View Post
Best FW I've found so far for the 39" is the one MasterTactician posted, which you can find the link on page 9 of this thread.
There are others, but this one is better.
Thank you very much for the response, but I tried this firmware and the problem is still happening.
Basically, my problem is about a loud noisy that happen when I turn the TV on, that sounds like "TUN" very short, but bother.
Also, the volume level 1 is too loud, but it may be in all TVs and depend on the perspective of loud of everybody else.
But, I noticed that when I put the volume on 0 the TV is completely mute, but when I turn it off and turn it on, I can hear the sound very low even in the volume 0.
Could you or anyone else do me a favor doing this test? If you turn off the TV on volume 0 and turn on it is suppose to be still mute and not providing a low sound like mine.
post #284 of 431 Old 11-14-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry Guys, I have not been working on the mod of the 50" TV as I had real life situations that prevented me from modding the TV the way I wanted to. I am 21 and I works as a PC Repair technician, However I would love to thank a lot of people who wrote posts that made me want to continue modding the TV and those who gave me alternative methods on how to unbrick and etc (I will post at the bottom of this post)....
Thank you for the initiative! I wish you all the best in your project, and I'm very excited to see the next steps
PS: I edited your message because the system is complain against the following "To be able to post links or images your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 2 posts."
post #285 of 431 Old 11-14-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Sorry Guys, I have not been working on the mod of the 50" TV as I had real life situations that prevented me from modding the TV the way I wanted to. I am 21 and I works as a PC Repair technician, However I would love to thank a lot of people who wrote posts that made me want to continue modding the TV and those who gave me alternative methods on how to unbrick and etc (I will post at the bottom of this post).

Well, I am back at modding the TV! I would like to thank @MasterTactician for providing us with an apparent new Seiki Firmware that I will test and base the modding with. @Xevious I would still love your help if possible. I am also trying to contact a user by the name of @rxman who may be a helping hand in this project (due to the dedicated effort of EEPROM read and writing (maybe? not sure.)). Anyways, Please keep faith, all will come together.

BTW HDMI 1.4a is capable of doing 4K @60hz however it requires over-volting the HDMI slots, and you can only USE ONLY ONE PORT at a time. Meaning only the power cable and ONE SINGLE HDMI device can be connected, no HDMI hubs. I am not yet skilled in that area to do such power modifications via Software.

And as always, if you want to contribute, please do so, do not be afraid of GOVERNMENT. REBEL MY FELLOW...uhh...PEOPLE! REBEL!

Special Thanks goes out to:

@Dahlsim For being Kind and generous and showed me something useful, but forgot, and for being so damn sexy! (A** kissing)
@Xevious for 1st Seiki Mod and base FW
@MasterTactician for the link to the new FW
@Chris Pugrud for trying out the new FW so at least I know that it works.
@infodroid I have updated it but have not installed it as I am now using the new firmware as base, and I kinda lost my updated files.
@HappyHimitsu Thanks for appreciating my work and Sorry, again I have not been modding as of recent, but expect a tested build from me soon thanks to @totallyinsane and @jasonbelec for the information of power off option that was unknown to me. PM, so we can do modding together.

and very generous thanks to these members who complimented me in a way that almost made me cry (I wont because I am a DAMN MAN! (wipes away tears)):
@Dansq , @killahbeatz , @Rudy1 , @viewer s Like You, Thank You.
Hey YungMoni, wow am I ever happy to hear from you buddy!
That was just about the best forum post I have ever heard, ever!
I really hope these other peeps show up to help along, the sky is the limit when great minds work together.

Keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

You're ever faithful FW tester.

post #286 of 431 Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Really nice to see someone working on firmware when the company is maybe maybe not .

Go YungMoni! It's your birthday!

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #287 of 431 Old 11-16-2014, 02:16 PM

Please YungMoni, don't leave us hanging!!!! You hold the key to all our hope!
post #288 of 431 Old 11-17-2014, 11:36 AM

@YungMoni I'd PM ya, but I need more posts than you, ROFL.

Anyway I will be happy to test anything you come up with now that I can unbrick easily.
post #289 of 431 Old 11-17-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
@YungMoni

hi,

if you can try to find a way,
im very interested in seeing a way to disable the tv scaler at custom resolutions.

I use a tool called cru.exe this allows fully custom resolutions, at any refresh i choose

so eg, I can make 2880x1620 @ about 45hz
it will display 45hz but scaler kicks in and its blurry as hell.

so if we can have black borders (dot to dot) and run higher hz, Im super happy for that!
but need to disable the scaler from doing its job.

I found something interesting,
i notice in my computer bios, it say connection via dvi and the resolution is maybe 1024x768 and the remote control aspect button works.. I can change standard or dot to dot.. standard is stretch scaled image, dot to dot is a black border and 1to1 pixels
but in any other resolution it is always stretched!

so I hope you can find a way as running this tv at 3600x1900 at 40hz is better then 30hz for me! and i imagine many others. we might have to suffer a 1 inch border but. who cares hehehehe

thanks
post #290 of 431 Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Pugrud
In a moment of obvious insanity I downloaded this random link from a forum on the internet and flashed the ROM on my SE50UY04. I tried the power-off, power-on upgrade, but that didn't work, so I went into the maintenance menu and initiated a firmware upgrade.

Black screen and 45 seconds of nerve clenching red and blue flashing power LED later and the TV reboots to the setup menu. A few clicks and I'm back on my computer (4k 30Hz) and the picture immediately looks clearer.

Version Info now says:
Produce Date JUL 07 2014

I'm guessing that the Baseline version is the actual software version, Customer Ver is hardware?

Flashed this in my SE39UY04, and it works. Feels like mouse response is quicker, but its very subjective. It definitely *feels* better.

Thanks!

-----------------------
I just tried this and i have 2 Seiki 39inch 4k units side by side. While it feels possibly slightly faster, The image clarity is very much so better on the new firmware. In fact, im flashing all 3 units i have. It even looks clearer @ 1080 as well. I want to thank you guys for keeping up on this, and i hope i can help in some small way as well.
post #291 of 431 Old 11-19-2014, 02:51 AM

Only problem I find odd about this firmware (Baseline Ver: 260, Date JUL 07 2014) is that on my SE39UY04 it does not save settings I set in service menu. Specifically I see that happening with backlight setting. Whatever I set there goes back to previous value after I power off and on the TV. And it does not seem to set that value, I have to go into service menu and as soon as I start changing the backlight then it becomes effective - until that it seems to be %100 by default.

Also, on a side note, is it possible to make it work like a monitor in that sense that when TV is switched off to Standby it would still make computer sense that there is screen connected otherwise if you power it off with remote but leave your computer running then next time you switch it on all open window will be set to size like 1024x768 and placed in left upper corner of the screen because computer was not able to detect any screen while TV was in Standby. This is annoying but it never happens to computer monitors. Which I believe is because they keep their interfaces powered on when in Standby for Display identification to function.

Thanks!
post #292 of 431 Old 11-19-2014, 01:44 PM

Starting to look like YungMoni has left us again. :/
Hope he comes back!
post #293 of 431 Old 11-20-2014, 01:30 PM

So can anybody tell me if the Seiki U-VISION cable improves upon the quality of 1440p content on this TV?
Would be worth a purchase if it does!
post #294 of 431 Old 11-20-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Starting to look like YungMoni has left us again. :/
Hope he comes back!
No I havn't I am just not responding or replying until I have a stable or suitable build. I perfer to release updates and etc if applicable. I have not forgotten about you guys. I am working diligently on importing more settings and reverse engineering the new way that seiki organized thier FW as this FW is not too willing to decompile and recompile as the previous revision. Keep the faith as I am still working on the mechanics of this new FW.
post #295 of 431 Old 11-21-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Collins View Post
@YungMoni

hi,

if you can try to find a way,
im very interested in seeing a way to disable the tv scaler at custom resolutions.

I use a tool called cru.exe this allows fully custom resolutions, at any refresh i choose

so eg, I can make 2880x1620 @ about 45hz
it will display 45hz but scaler kicks in and its blurry as hell.

so if we can have black borders (dot to dot) and run higher hz, Im super happy for that!
but need to disable the scaler from doing its job.

I found something interesting,
i notice in my computer bios, it say connection via dvi and the resolution is maybe 1024x768 and the remote control aspect button works.. I can change standard or dot to dot.. standard is stretch scaled image, dot to dot is a black border and 1to1 pixels
but in any other resolution it is always stretched!

so I hope you can find a way as running this tv at 3600x1900 at 40hz is better then 30hz for me! and i imagine many others. we might have to suffer a 1 inch border but. who cares hehehehe

thanks

Yes CRU is a good tool to use as I used it to unlock the TV's 3840x2160 45hz native. After learning about the full capabilities of HDMI 1.4a companies want to save power which resulted in undervolting the periphial so that it can only produce 4k @ 30hz. hat I am doing is unlocking that to a full 60hz. My only problems are the new way seiki developed the firmware and the decision to test the power strip built in (which might need to be changed), the exact voltage and wattage (output), and finding the EDID tables as they are no longer in the same directory as before. I mostly started modding the tv because i wanted to play ps4 on 4K whether it was native or upscaled. I got it to work on the PS3 (modded) by editing the tables in vsh. But the PS4 and XboX One reads the tables from the TV itself as apparently it read 3D on the TV (i never knew it actually had 3D at the time). But for the most part until I can actually find it's EDID the project will be deelayed from release of aappropiate test build. But I am recompiling a new test build just to test out the graphics I created (with fixed bootfile.video) hopefully by 11/27/14.
post #296 of 431 Old 11-21-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
So can anybody tell me if the Seiki U-VISION cable improves upon the quality of 1440p content on this TV?
Would be worth a purchase if it does!
Depends on your original input 1080p 30hz or 720 30hz
post #297 of 431 Old 11-21-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
No I havn't I am just not responding or replying until I have a stable or suitable build. I perfer to release updates and etc if applicable. I have not forgotten about you guys. I am working diligently on importing more settings and reverse engineering the new way that seiki organized thier FW as this FW is not too willing to decompile and recompile as the previous revision. Keep the faith as I am still working on the mechanics of this new FW.
Ah. Fair enough. It's hard not to be anxious towards these things, I'm a huge technophile and modding, hardware hacking and all the related bits gets me pretty excited lol

Quote:
Yes CRU is a good tool to use as I used it to unlock the TV's 3840x2160 45hz native. After learning about the full capabilities of HDMI 1.4a companies want to save power which resulted in undervolting the periphial so that it can only produce 4k @ 30hz. hat I am doing is unlocking that to a full 60hz. My only problems are the new way seiki developed the firmware and the decision to test the power strip built in (which might need to be changed), the exact voltage and wattage (output), and finding the EDID tables as they are no longer in the same directory as before. I mostly started modding the tv because i wanted to play ps4 on 4K whether it was native or upscaled. I got it to work on the PS3 (modded) by editing the tables in vsh. But the PS4 and XboX One reads the tables from the TV itself as apparently it read 3D on the TV (i never knew it actually had 3D at the time). But for the most part until I can actually find it's EDID the project will be deelayed from release of aappropiate test build. But I am recompiling a new test build just to test out the graphics I created (with fixed bootfile.video) hopefully by 11/27/14.
If you can tell me how to search for the values I would happily try to help.
My programming skills are a little rusty (done a bit of very basic scripting over the years and the last languages I coded in were TurboPascal and Qbasic decades ago) but I pick up information like a sponge. It doesn't usually take me very long to acquire some degree of proficiency with a skill.

Quote:
Depends on your original input 1080p 30hz or 720 30hz
Would be for a Wii U we brought our kids for Christmas. So the gamut up to and including 1080p@60.
post #298 of 431 Old 11-22-2014, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
U-Vision upscalling of netflix / amazon

Has anyone done a comparison of upscaling online video like netflix or amazon to 4k with the cable? I'm absolutely convinced that blu-rays look amazing on my seiki using the U-Vision cable, much better than with a traditional HDMI, but I'm confused if netflix and the like really look any better @ 2160p. Anyone done a comparison? Do you think it really adds to the video quality of netflix ?
post #299 of 431 Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dividebyzero2014 View Post
Originally Posted by Chris Pugrud

Version Info now says:
Produce Date JUL 07 2014

Thanks!

-----------------------
I just tried this and i have 2 Seiki 39inch 4k units side by side. While it feels possibly slightly faster, The image clarity is very much so better on the new firmware. In fact, im flashing all 3 units i have. It even looks clearer @ 1080 as well. I want to thank you guys for keeping up on this, and i hope i can help in some small way as well.

I flashed this firmware on my 39" and it works. I don't notice anything different from before (initially at least) except that I lost my ability to do 1080p@120hz. I had been running the "Seiki Mod" firmware that I found (guy called houkouonchi made it) that actually added extra EDID modes to the monitor so they were able to be selected in the control panel. I'm having a bit of extra trouble with custom resolutions because apparently that works better with AMD cards and CCC due to the ability to force GPU scaling off. I'm a bit lost to be honest. I can't seem to do anything with the custom resolutions in the Nvidia control panel, but I don't really know what I'm doing.

the 1080p @ 120hz was amazing for me because I can go from gaming to desktop effortlessly, and its nice and smooth for a big screen @ 120hz. Granted I think the scaling looks like ****, but I also may have it set up wrong. When I was in 1080/120 thats what the monitor was reporting when resolutions changed.

help?
post #300 of 431 Old 11-26-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutny View Post
I flashed this firmware on my 39" and it works. I don't notice anything different from before (initially at least) except that I lost my ability to do 1080p@120hz. I had been running the "Seiki Mod" firmware that I found (guy called houkouonchi made it) that actually added extra EDID modes to the monitor so they were able to be selected in the control panel. I'm having a bit of extra trouble with custom resolutions because apparently that works better with AMD cards and CCC due to the ability to force GPU scaling off. I'm a bit lost to be honest. I can't seem to do anything with the custom resolutions in the Nvidia control panel, but I don't really know what I'm doing.

the 1080p @ 120hz was amazing for me because I can go from gaming to desktop effortlessly, and its nice and smooth for a big screen @ 120hz. Granted I think the scaling looks like ****, but I also may have it set up wrong. When I was in 1080/120 thats what the monitor was reporting when resolutions changed.

help?
I had the same problem as you, then I flashed the firmware in question and just created the 1080@120 profile in NCP like this.

Open NCP
Select Change resolution under the Display category on the left of the NCP window.
On the Change Resolution screen click the Customize button under the list of resolutions.
In the Customize window that appears, click the Create Custom Resolution button at the bottom.
In the Create Custom Resolution window, change your horizontal pixels to 1920 and your Vertical lines to 1080, change your refresh rate to 120, click test at the bottom of the window; if the test fails try changing the timings from Automatic to CVT reduced blank.
Once you find the working setting that you want, you will have to tick the checkbox of the custom resolution in the Customize window that appears, then click OK at the bottom.
Your resolution will now appear under Custom in your list of resolutions in NCP, provided you haven't enabled any DSR factors in your 3d settings (in which case only DSR factors will appear); if you have, disable them and check again.
Prosper.

Last edited by HappyHimitsu; 11-26-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page