Official Seiki SE50UY04 50-Inch 4K UHD Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 412 Old 01-09-2015, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by macphreak View Post
S1. ATSC install
This is the firmware I was recently directed to. It works pretty well and I think I may keep this one (until an hour from now when I read or discover something new). Currently I am running it at 2560x1440 @ 30hz. It is fine for programming and mouse usage. But, it drives me nuts when watching a video on Youtube or something (it has weird artifacts in the view and lines going through it occasionally). I would like to get it so that I can run 1440p@150 or 120hz but I have yet to figure out how to do th

thats the active noise reduction turn that off... it makes the artifact appear..
its under your normal settings. it set it self on after every time u change resolution.

this IS a 30hz tv
and thats fine for everything but games...
personaly tv will look best@ 30hz being upscaled to 4k by the gpu (1080p,1440p1800p)
colors get super muddled and the crispness goes away @ anything more then 30hz on any res.

i got it working @ 1440p 60hz and if i sit back far enough it don't make damn difference.
if you are playing games that are 30fps locked and such... crank it up to full 4k for best experience.

now, me asking for me help here...
if anyone help me change to colors to not me muddled or look as good as at 1080@120hz or 2160p@30hz...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 412 Old 01-10-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You Seiki guys with 4k

What resolution does this site says you are using?

http://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/

I want to see if the site is wrong.. I'm on 4k(changhong) but it says 1920x1080... I have some suspicions about this TV just need to be sure.
post #363 of 412 Old 01-11-2015, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce banner View Post
You Seiki guys with 4k

I want to see if the site is wrong.. I'm on 4k(changhong) but it says 1920x1080... I have some suspicions about this TV just need to be sure.
YOU ARE USING
3840 x 2160

Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS2 Series II
Surrounds: Polk Audio Monitor50 Series II
Sub: 2x Polk PSW505
Reciever: Pioneer VSX-80
TV: LG-65EC9700
post #364 of 412 Old 01-12-2015, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Collins View Post
I have noticed 1 weird issue and I am lost..

I have a Nv 750TI on 1 system and my GameRig has a AMD R9 290

The 750ti allows px clocks up past 297MHZ
the 290 wont show any resolutions past 297MHZ

I have tried the ATI Clock Patch, Doesnt work.. I use the latest OMEGA Drivers for amd too..

Anyone else found the solution?
Here I was thinking the JUNE 2014 Firmware allowed Unlocked 297 where as it was my Radeon all along!!!

( The JUNE 2014 firmware is a few posts below Yung's post...)
Page 7-9 from memory

here,
So my 50" came with the 1.1 firmware. Thinking that the July 2014 firmware was newer, I flashed to it today. But the new firmware has Customer Ver 1.0.

In limited testing so far it's working fine. It's been a while since I fired up this screen so I'm not 100% sure if this is just a placebo effect but it does feel a little snappier.

There does seem to be one thing missing though. With the 1.1 firmware, I could have sworn that when my laptop display went to power save, the Seiki would follow suit and go to sleep. If it slept for too long, the monitor would eventually turn off and I would have to manually switch it back on after waking up the laptop.

With the July 2014 firmware, the monitor now seems to stay on when the laptop display goes into power save. That's a bit annoying.

Am I mis-remembering or have others noticed the same issue?

Last edited by telamon; 01-12-2015 at 10:56 AM.
post #365 of 412 Old 01-16-2015, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitfisto View Post
Would you mind making a post about how you did this? I've been trying to figure out how to override the EDID on the PS3 so I can get it to put out a 1080p/30hz signal that can be upscaled, but I haven't come across anything.
I can but it requires an already Modded PS3 (Custom Firmware Only) or what I have ( Debug PS3 aka DEX) as the tables cannot be injected into an OFW (Official Firmware). The TV mod I was attempting, was to add a Hz switcher internally instead of relying on a PC to do this (which is easy). With the Seiki Upscaler cable (U-Vision) it might have been possible to upscale with minor effort if the Hz switcher worked as I intended.
post #366 of 412 Old 01-16-2015, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good to see your back YungMoni!
post #367 of 412 Old 01-18-2015, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
This model does not support ARC on any of its HDMI inputs. The digital audio port must be configured via the TV's menu to specifically pass a digital signal (select "RAW"), and even then it will only pass multichannel digital audio from the TV's tuner. Anything else is passed as stereo PCM. You will need to connect the PS3 directly to your soundbar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungMoni View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unbricking Instructions: - Works the same way for the 39".

1. You will need the original firmware from

2. Download and unzip using winrar, 7zip, or whatever you use to unzip.

3. Grab a 512mb or any other higher sized USB device or Card (using a card reader).

4. Format the device to FAT32 (doesn't matter if you quick format or not).

5. Copy the "install.img" to the device.

6. Eject USB device from PC and put inside either USB port on the TV (I used the side USB port).

7. Turn on the TV, install method with the TV powered off and auto install does not work (don't even try).

8. On your remote, press "MENU" then "0000", slowly press down 5 times (this will select the Software Update).

9. Let the installation complete. Now your unbricked!

10. ?????

11. Profit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OMG I bricked it and can't unbrick it now. !
All I get when I turn it on is the blue light and the screen seems to try and go on but fade back off. I also hear a slight pitch coming from the tv. I've tried the menu unbricking and it does nothing! The usb stick light isn't even on.

Am I screwed??? Oh man.. I feel horrible right now. Any ideas at all? Anyone? Please
post #368 of 412 Old 01-18-2015, 02:14 AM

^ Solved: Plug it in while holding the menu button (on the side of the tv), will auto-update from USB.
Thank God. That freaked me out...

Sorry for double post - no edit button.
post #369 of 412 Old 01-21-2015, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gourav2122 View Post
i got it working @ 1440p 60hz and if i sit back far enough it don't make damn difference.
Question - how did you get it working with 1440p@60hz? I have been trying **everything** to get it to work at 60hz with 1440p and have been unsuccessful.

What firmware do you have? Thanks!
djzelonka likes this.
post #370 of 412 Old 01-25-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telamon View Post
So my 50" came with the 1.1 firmware. Thinking that the July 2014 firmware was newer, I flashed to it today. But the new firmware has Customer Ver 1.0.

In limited testing so far it's working fine. It's been a while since I fired up this screen so I'm not 100% sure if this is just a placebo effect but it does feel a little snappier.

There does seem to be one thing missing though. With the 1.1 firmware, I could have sworn that when my laptop display went to power save, the Seiki would follow suit and go to sleep. If it slept for too long, the monitor would eventually turn off and I would have to manually switch it back on after waking up the laptop.

With the July 2014 firmware, the monitor now seems to stay on when the laptop display goes into power save. That's a bit annoying.

Am I mis-remembering or have others noticed the same issue?
I updated mine with the july 2014 also hoping to get rid of the synch (blanking) problem when playing in 4k from my oppo bd-103. So far so good, but only time will tell. The picture does seem to be sharper in 4k than before. As others have noted, my TV now has no sound but I'm not to worried about that as I'm running a 5.1 system off my oppo. I just want a functioning 4k TV which is why I bought it.
post #371 of 412 Old 01-25-2015, 07:10 PM

I have a question and my apologies if this has been answered already, what is the POWER ON mode..selections are on, off, and last.

Since updating to this newest firmware so far after about 6 hours of operation, it hasn't lost signal(blanking) yet, but now the sleep timer warning came up even though I have the sleep timer set to off. It seems like this new firmware has a few bugs in it also.
post #372 of 412 Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Question - how did you get it working with 1440p@60hz? I have been trying **everything** to get it to work at 60hz with 1440p and have been unsuccessful.
i got 1440p@60 by default and the 1.1 using cvt reducded on nivdia
but still looks like crappy ... the colors are muddles like crazy.

but i am currently using the modded version found in this thread that was 34mb. its the seiki mod

i like this mod but it wont let change the gamma or brightness by computer.. i have to use the tv for this. DCCW.exe wont work
but it has GPU scaling enabled with 1080p that scales preety good @ 1080p 30z up to 4k res.
the 1.1 firmware and 1.0 firmware did not have gpu scapling enabled. as far as i could tell..
post #373 of 412 Old 01-27-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:

google
"
"Playing with my Seiki se39uy04. Got it to do 1440p at 60hz. Playing with other custom stuff"

its on page 7 on that thread.
that worked the best for me
macphreak likes this.
post #374 of 412 Old 01-29-2015, 07:10 PM

So... it is my understanding that the only firmware which eliminates scaling issues at 1080p on the 39" model is the 50 inch one. Using this firmware, four pixels become one at 1920x1080. I'd really like to get a 1:1 image at 1080p. Trouble is... the 50 inch firmware everyone talks about no longer seems to be available on the Seiki website. So, where does one find it now? Any help would be appreciated.
post #375 of 412 Old 01-29-2015, 08:17 PM

Nevermind... found it. Night and day difference. 1080p looks perfect with the 50 inch firmware.
post #376 of 412 Old 01-29-2015, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Ok Guys 3 things.

#1 : I finally built my pc i am now using a ASUS Strix 970. I noticed that by some odd measure I was pluging in my seiki uvision cable from amazon and I have the usb part connected to a usb hub 2.8 a by 5.2v (found it lucky at Frys). The upscaler allowed 1080p @60Hz to be upscaled to 2160p @ 30Hz/but somehow actually at 45Hz, however in Call of Duty AW it allowed me to do 4k @ 75 as a limit (video would display but it would blackout (0.5 - 1 sec) every 20 seconds along with visual (vertical) tear. My knowledge on black screen oppose to flickering is due to power, now it have me wondering about what type of power supply this tv is using, next would be the memory controller and how it is designed to process the requests on the screen. This is my thought on the whole tv problem. I am looking back at the revised tv firmware to fully understand what they did to change it so that it is recognized via Upscaler cable. I still cannot find the EDID for this firmware, so I cannot apply my new edits.

#2 : @Wolvermoon, what picture your looking for again? Also, see what you can find about the tv's HDMI pin layout, that way I know what about the CES function that was supposed to be equipped with this TV. CES is a mandatory feature in all HDMI 1.4a rev 2. If it is an HDMI 1.4a rev 1, we may have been cheated. I come to you because you are at a college with access to information Google or the image file cannot provide.

#3 : @Shaun Collins and @happy M. continue to inbox me so that you can get my email. I have stumbled on something that I want you guys to help me with. (yes it is regarding the project)
post #377 of 412 Old 02-01-2015, 01:05 PM

Hey Guys,

I have had my Seiki 4k 39" for around a year now and I love it but have experienced similar issues like the ones mentioned throughout the post. I have been following up with this forum for around 6 months now. My current set up is a 2012 Mac Mini 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with Intel HD Graphics 4000 1GB. I dont do much gaming and use it more as a media center with the seiki as my monitor. I have several questions.

1) Where can I find the FW for the 50". Like @sreams said above it is not on the website. I found a link on page 6 but wasn't sure if that was the latest FW. Why would they even remove that 50" FW? Or a better question is what is the best FW currently for my 39". I find it pretty absurd that Seiki won't release the proper FW or latest FW. I know they're not Sony or Samsung but they're striving for best customer service and this has been an ongoing issue. I will call them tomorrow during business hours to try and find out.

Edit: I also have a MBPr that supports 4k and a PS4 so not sure which FW would work best with that. And I would like the possibility of 1080p at 120 Hz.

2) I have a big issue with the Local Dimming on my TV. I absolutely hate it and can't find for the life of me the option to turn it off. I have tried to install all the FW's on this forum and can not find it on the menu settings. I am currently running the 50" FW on page 6 posted by @username_taken .

3) Similar to number 2, depending on different FW I have realized that you get more settings in the menu. Also some settings are grayed out like lock and channel. This is why I can't find the local dimming option I assume. Under set up, Advanced and Closed Captioning is grayed out. Can someone explain this to me please.

4) And lastly how can I see what model I have? On Seikis website they have two models. The Model # SE39UY04 – 20130827 FW vs the Model # SE39UY04 – 20130828 With Backlight And color TEMP. I can't find the number 20130828 anywhere in the about or software version.

Thanks in advanced for your help and answers and excuse my frustration as I just want my tv working properly.
post #378 of 412 Old 02-01-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungMoni View Post
Ok Guys 3 things.

#1 : I finally built my pc i am now using a ASUS Strix 970. I noticed that by some odd measure I was pluging in my seiki uvision cable from amazon and I have the usb part connected to a usb hub 2.8 a by 5.2v (found it lucky at Frys). The upscaler allowed 1080p @60Hz to be upscaled to 2160p @ 30Hz/but somehow actually at 45Hz, however in Call of Duty AW it allowed me to do 4k @ 75 as a limit (video would display but it would blackout (0.5 - 1 sec) every 20 seconds along with visual (vertical) tear. My knowledge on black screen oppose to flickering is due to power, now it have me wondering about what type of power supply this tv is using, next would be the memory controller and how it is designed to process the requests on the screen. This is my thought on the whole tv problem. I am looking back at the revised tv firmware to fully understand what they did to change it so that it is recognized via Upscaler cable. I still cannot find the EDID for this firmware, so I cannot apply my new edits.

#2 : @Wolvermoon, what picture your looking for again? Also, see what you can find about the tv's HDMI pin layout, that way I know what about the CES function that was supposed to be equipped with this TV. CES is a mandatory feature in all HDMI 1.4a rev 2. If it is an HDMI 1.4a rev 1, we may have been cheated. I come to you because you are at a college with access to information Google or the image file cannot provide.
Glad to see your back on the case YungMoni!
post #379 of 412 Old 02-02-2015, 01:30 PM

How can you guys get 31Hz in 4k? I can only push it up to 300MHz. Anything past that doesn't work.
30Hz for 4k is already 297MHz.

1080 @ 120Hz works however! Even though it's 348.20MHz.
But again, 1440 or anything above can't go over 300MHz.
post #380 of 412 Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 PM

Fixed the blanking problem on my monitor

I finally figured out how to end that stupid "no signal"/ blanking issue.

Firmware changes, different cables....nothing worked.

Turns out that it's due to how window detects it via HDMI.

Simply putting tape over pin 19 on your hdmi cord fixed it. Only downside is if it's a monitor, windows won't switch desktops if you shut down the main monitor automatically.

Been hours and zero blanking so far!!!!! Finally this TV is worth recommending to others!
post #381 of 412 Old 02-07-2015, 09:39 PM

I got the se39uy04-1 upgraded model in Canada. This is what my FW is.

Baseline 277
Customer Version Ver 1.0
Order Form SY14395
Board ver ST2975C_R10.4
Panel Info CMI_V390DK1_LS1
Produce Date Sep 3 2014

I haven't seen any mention of it and I asked Seiki for a copy and they said they don't have one, which is BS. I may bug them more if it would be useful for anyone hacking. I seen mention of the motion effect being enabled in some of the hacked fw's, is that possible? I just don't want to flash a firmware that is later than any fw's I've seen if I can't get it back to my current one, since it works good for me. I would like more config slots, motion effect if possible, etc.
post #382 of 412 Old 02-16-2015, 04:39 PM

Removing all noise reduction and sharpness

No matter what I do I can't get rid of the image processing in this display, in the menu I have Sharpness=0 and Noise Reduction=off, in the service menu I have TI Mode=off,SWAP Mode=off, Uart Mode=off, Video Quality->Sharpness=0, Video Quality->DCC=off.

Basically when I look at a blurry jpeg or video, even when running the desktop itself at 4K, it gets sharpened/noise reduced in a cartoonish way, almost like the smart upscaling on a SNES emulator. I don't like the look, and this also kills my confidence in using apps like photoshop, because there is no way to know if the pixels I'm editing are just artifacts of the TV. If you move the mouse nearby, the scaling seems to go away in an area a few pixels around the cursor, I'm guessing this is because the TV's scaling algorithm sees the high-resolution cursor, and turns off the scaling.

However, I have found if you go into the Engineering Menu (menu+2947) and select "Video->Magic Picture=Dynamic", you will see a sweeping area of the screen where the crappy scaling effects are toggled on and off. If you switch between Magic Picture=Dynamic,Move,Off several times, you can eventually glitch it out into a state where switching from Dynamic to Move will freeze and lock in the effect, weirdly it will actually be inverted at the time you freeze it, so anywhere the image processing was turned on it will now be off, and vice versa. When you freeze it there will unavoidably be a line down the middle of your screen.

I tried to get some pictures with a camera, but the effect was very hard to capture.

Put your TV in native 4k, turn off all sharpness and noise reduction, then open this picture in chrome, and hit ctrl + "+" several times until you are zoomed 500%:

(link removed, not enough posting history to link to an image. Go to google image search, search breed black retriever puppies, and open the original image of the first result. you see the effect with any jpeg, but it is most apparent in areas of high contrast)

Then on your remote hit Menu, type in 2947, go to Video, and set Magic Picture = Dynamic, then hit menu again to show the full screen. You will see a sweeping area and should see the edges of the puppy go in and out of the weird default vibrance/noise reduction/sharpening and into what you would see on a normal monitor!

Anyway, I need help finding settings it make permanent without the hack mentioned above, which, depending on where you stop magic picture, will leave a blue line on the screen until you turn it back off! Anyone? Or anyone just not seeing the effect at all when they try it?
oni222 likes this.
post #383 of 412 Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 PM

Not sure what to make of that charlesalexander, any updates?
post #384 of 412 Old 02-23-2015, 12:11 AM

Play Memories with 4k setting enabled on Ps4 WORKS on My Seiki! Both Pictures and Video.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-23.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	562945  

Last edited by mfs6278; 03-02-2015 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling
post #385 of 412 Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 AM

Cool

Play Memories with 4k setting enabled on Ps4 WORKS on My Seiki! Both Pictures and Video
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-23.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	562953  

Last edited by mfs6278; 03-02-2015 at 07:18 AM.
post #386 of 412 Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm planning to get another tv for a bedroom. Around a 40 inch display is what I need. I mainly will be using it for Blu-ray movies, Dish, and PS4 gaming, maybe I may hook up the computer from time to time. I also have some 4K videos I record on my Galaxy Note 4 and demo videos as well.

Seiki 39" Class 4K 1080p 120Hz UHDTV
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q2VFC4U/...=IBRC3J244L73E

Samsung UN40H5003 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED TV
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MYBR75O/...I1HVJ3WNOEBC8I

These are the two models I'm looking into. I don't need a smart tv, because I have enough smart devices already. I will be watching some 4K content, particularly those that I record, download or from youtube, but the main function for now will be Blu-ray playback, Dish Joey HD and gaming on a PS4 from time to time. It would be nice to get the 4K display, especially if 4K Blu-ray is coming later this year, but which of these two sets do you all think is a better buy? For playback as I've mentioned, and actually quality of the display (color/ black levels) when I'm viewing 1080p content.

Thanks!
post #387 of 412 Old 03-09-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce banner View Post
You Seiki guys with 4k

I'm running a dual monitor set up. One is @ 1920X1080 and my Seiki is at 2760X1620 and this website gets both wrong or I'm not running the resolutions that I think I am. I tested 4k/2k and 1440p also on the Seiki and it got it wrong every time.
post #388 of 412 Old 03-09-2015, 12:44 PM

3480x2160
post #389 of 412 Old 03-09-2015, 10:48 PM

So I played a game (in a warm room), NBA 2k15, 1080p at 120Hz, for quite a few hours straight.. The next day I turn on the screen and the picture is all messed up on the Seiki logo, then it reboots itself, and it's messed up again, it reboots again - and then it's fine. So I boot up the same game, at 120hz again, looks fine then suddenly the screen gets all messed up (a little less than the seiki logo), I freak out in my head for 3 seconds, and the screen goes back to normal... Sicne then I went back to 60hz - realizing it's the same picture and 120 won't even matter, just turn the sharpness to 0 when it switches to the 1080 60hz profile.

Don't think I wanna mess with 120hz again, maybe I'm a baby, but just sharing an experience. Running a new 970 GTX card, fyi.

Also, just to note on 50" firmware:

- ATSC_THTF_SY14343_ST2975C_CMI_V500dk1_P01_20140707
This firmware seems to be the "best" in the way 30hz 4k feels and allows 120hz 1080p. However it does not have the fix for auto timer countdown.. I can't seem to turn it off.

The firmware I used before this one ^, I *believe* it was called "SE50UY04_20130528" - does fix the countdown timer where it can be turned off, aannd it also worked better with knowing when the computer is off or on to turn itself off or not. I THINK this was the one? (Can someone confirm? I can't try for a bit- no usb stick.) Worst case I got this one confused with another firmware I tried, but I believe it's this one.
post #390 of 412 Old 03-21-2015, 03:30 AM

Guys whats the best way to get the colors set up for gaming. Looks awful right now. Tint is grayed out to...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread