Official Seiki SE50UY04 50-Inch 4K UHD Owners Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

Old 05-28-2015, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by angasm View Post
OK, so I got 4k "working" on my UY04. The fix is bizarre. I have a new XPS 13 (2015) connected via Mini-Displayport to HDMI. Out of the box, the system only outputs 1080p, with no higher resolutions available. But when I *uninstall* the Intel Graphics Driver, and reboot using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, I can see full 4K resolution.

I was told by Dell's Technical Support that Intel's graphics drivers do not yet support Displayport 1.2, so they are limited to HD resolution on the external monitor. (!)

They are incorrect (Dell support).

The reason I can say that...is that my laptop is, wait for it...

A 2015 xps13 (9345) i5 8gb 256

It worked with fine with HDMI to miniDP and Intel drivers with my uy04...but not my UY04-1.

Has to be a firmware issue...because its not the driver package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone care to share with me their awesome calibration settings, particularly for Ps4 or Xbox One?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys -

I too am getting this noise when turning ON the SE39UY04 LED TV.

I have flashed the SE50UY04_20130528.zip image onto the TV in order to run 120Hz -- worked like a champ.

But ever since, the TV makes a click noise when I turn ON for the first time.

Does anyone have ideas on how to fix?

Also, does anyone have a schematic of the insides of this TV? I want to take the Bezel off and remove some internal parts to get just the LED monitor.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

> When I turn it on, there is a noise like that sound like "TUN" (short, but a little bit loud).
Old 07-30-2015, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi guys, just a quick question to the firmware guru's on here if they are still around! Iv'e been trying to get the panel to output 60hz @ 4:2:0 chroma with the new CRU and nvidias drivers, but I am only able to get the display to report back 1920x2160 and the colour is all messed up with lots of green and the desktop is obviously warped but output is at 60hz.

So the main question to the firmware gurus is is would be possible to add 4:2:0 support on this tv? I noted pages back that yungmoni spoke a touch on nvidia faking a way to do 60hz but he didn't elaborate. For anyone interested 4:2:0 chroma allows 60hz over hdmi 1.4 at 4k by compressing the colours down to 1080p levels, which is great for games and movies, but terrible for text and general use. Anyway was just hoping one of the firmware guys on here might catch the question and see what they think Cheers! - Mick
Old 08-01-2015, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphiswin View Post
Hi guys, just a quick question to the firmware guru's on here if they are still around! Iv'e been trying to get the panel to output 60hz @ 4:2:0 chroma with the new CRU and nvidias drivers, but I am only able to get the display to report back 1920x2160 and the colour is all messed up with lots of green and the desktop is obviously warped but output is at 60hz.

So the main question to the firmware gurus is is would be possible to add 4:2:0 support on this tv? I noted pages back that yungmoni spoke a touch on nvidia faking a way to do 60hz but he didn't elaborate. For anyone interested 4:2:0 chroma allows 60hz over hdmi 1.4 at 4k by compressing the colours down to 1080p levels, which is great for games and movies, but terrible for text and general use. Anyway was just hoping one of the firmware guys on here might catch the question and see what they think Cheers! - Mick
That would be awesome indeed. Hard to say though, it almost seems as if everyone with the knowledge to do so has given up!!
Here's hoping!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:00 PM

can you send me that firmware for seiki 39 tv? I too buggered things up and need to try to restore
Old 08-02-2015, 04:27 PM

Firmware to correct headphone jack problems

I've a new SE39 . I had a very weird issue that when I used the Comcast remote to change channels, or issue any command, the Seiki TV is repeating the last command it received. For example, if I turned volume up, and then tried to change channel. The channel would change (Comcast remote / box) but the volume would also go up 1 click.

Desperate for a solution I tried the 50" firmware, and in fact the 39 FW from August 27 and August 28. Immediately after issuing the FW upgrade, the headphone jack started to not mute the tv speaks when used. For example, when I plug in external speaks into the 3.5 jack, the audio on the tv stays on! Therefore I've my good speakers and those tv ones on at the same time.

Muting mutes both. I tried to go back to the 39 FW but the downloads I found seem to either have the "newer" audio drivers, or perhaps do not overwrite the audio drivers (as th version on the SW screen stays the same).

All I want to do is get back to factory firmware, but this seems impossible. Or perhaps someone has firware which the headphone jacks cause the TV speakers to mute?

Thanks for any thoughts / help.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:28 PM

Se39uy04

whynotpizza do you have the original firmware for this tv? SE39UY04.. been looking but not on the seiki servers, please if you have it , can you send it to me, i paypal you.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo12345 View Post
I've a new SE39 . I had a very weird issue that when I used the Comcast remote to change channels, or issue any command, the Seiki TV is repeating the last command it received. For example, if I turned volume up, and then tried to change channel. The channel would change (Comcast remote / box) but the volume would also go up 1 click.
I am also having this exact problem, but with FiOS. It's enough to be a deal breaker, which is unfortunate.

That, and I can't get the Xbox One Kinect to change the volume or power the TV on/off.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:36 PM

headphone muting issue solved

Seiki sent me a firmware update which resolved the issue of the headphone jack when in use not muting the tv. The solution was firmware baseline 303, created on January 9, 2015. After install the tv now mutes when headphones are inserted or external speakers are inserted into the headphone jack.

Thank you Seiki. I don't know how to post a file or i would post it (the firmware from 1/9/2015).

As far as the remote control problem, that still persists (see above).
Old 08-08-2015, 04:36 PM

daveo12345 can you upload it to a file server and link it please? I'd very much like to have a look at it, there are quite a few free file hosting services you can use.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:17 PM

Hello,

I am at my wits end with my 55 inch 4K Seiki TV. I have an issue with it that is uncontrollable! I have a link to a video showing my issue. Basically, the menu comes up and flashes on and of periodically throughout the day. It is intermittent and I never know when it will come on. It may show up several times in a day. Really pissed about it. Anyway, if anyone knows how I can stop it, I will be forever indebted!

Thank you!
Old 09-25-2015, 07:27 AM

Will this TV be able to play the UHD Blu Rays when they come out? If not i will be very sad.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badenergytroll View Post
Will this TV be able to play the UHD Blu Rays when they come out? If not i will be very sad.
Doubt it. It's not HDCP 2.2, which is already a standard for the limited 4K streaming out there like Netflix 4K, so my answer would be no.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by getochkn View Post
Doubt it. It's not HDCP 2.2, which is already a standard for the limited 4K streaming out there like Netflix 4K, so my answer would be no.
Think there's any chance of a firmware update to enable HDCP 2.2 on one of the HDMI ports?
Old 10-08-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post
Think there's any chance of a firmware update to enable HDCP 2.2 on one of the HDMI ports?
"Lots of 4K TVs and 4K media players have been sold since the first models arrived in mid-2013, and many of those products – especially from 2013 – lack support for HDCP 2.2. Worse, these products cannot be upgraded because HDCP 2.2 requires a “hardware” update – it’s not something you can fix with a firmware update. "
Old 10-09-2015, 10:51 PM

Does anybody here by chance have the January 2015 version of the SE39UY04-1 firmware referenced in this thread kicking around?
Old 11-04-2015, 03:53 PM

My seiki se39uy04has been blanking more and more as of late. I just purchased it mid July of this year. Today upon from returning to the room I discovered it was a solid black screen. Anyone experienced this?
Old 11-11-2015, 05:13 AM

Hey. Just got a SE39UY04.

I've read through most of this thread, and I'm still kind of lost.

I'm running a Hackintosh with Dual Zotac Zone GT640 cards. (I need the Cuda cores for Blender rendering.)
I've hooked up a dualDVI to HDMI adapter to one of the cards, but all I get is a weird 1920 x 2160 @30Hz resolution no matter what I do. Then it scales the 3840 x 2160 to that making text almost unreadable.

I'm demoing SwitchResX to scale to a lower resolution that is more readable, but hitting display on the remote still reports that ridiculous 1920 x 2160 @30Hz .

I've tried everything I can find on the Internet, but no matter what I do i can get out of this weird mode. Even 1080 @ 60hz might be bearable.

These card have no display port, but Dual DVI to HDMI 1.4 should get me at least the native 3840 x 2160 @Hz.

It would be nice if it would also change resolution to 1080p@60Hz when I try to play GTA:SA.

I'm mainly going to use this as a 4K desktop monitor is I can get the proper res out of it.

Any ideas. Or did my roomate just get nice size Football TV while I slink back to my old dual 1920 x 1200 Hansspree 28" and 24" debranded HP I've been using forever?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:24 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by colragland View Post
"HELP" My Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k the screen goes black it loses drops signal for a few seconds and the picture comes back while watching Blu-Ray movies running at 1080P it happens only once when watching at 1080P during movie..But if i use the Seiki U-Vision cable to upscale the Blu-Ray disc to 3840x2160 the screen blacks out it drops loses the signal 3 to 4 times during movie play back and the black screen seems to last 10 seconds or so before the picture comes back while using the Seiki U-Vision cable..I have used regular thick old school HDMI and new type RedMere cables for 1080P i have 8 different cables to try all with same results i have a sony Blu-Ray and a LG Blu-Ray player that i have used.I do not use this TV as a computer monitor..Thanks for any and all Help
UPDATE:
After all the searching and reading all kinds of post and reply's received i found out my problem was the HDMI control needed to be turned off in the blu-ray player it's turned on by default on both of my blu-ray players..After turning off the HDMI control in the sony i have no more blacking out while watching Blu-Rays...
Old 12-20-2015, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Trying to view 4k on a SE55UY04

I know this is somewhat of a dormant thread but I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have a Seiki 55” Class 4K 120Hz LED Ultra HDTV – SE55UY04 and want to know what/how I can easily view 4k content on it? What can provide 4k content and work with the TV, examples being Fire TV, Roku 4k, etc. I'm not sure these will work with the SE55UY04 not having HDCP 2.2.

I currently have the TV hooked up to Fios and my ol' PS3, along with Fire TV stick (or Chromecast)

Can anyone help? Thanks.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:35 PM

Is this TV support 4:4:4 chroma subsampling at 1080p?
http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png
Old 01-10-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvenmoon View Post
I'm considering grabbing one of these to use as a monitor. One of the 39" ones.

The last thing I tried with display tech was taking a Wacom Intuos4 and strapping an LCD panel on top of it. If you Google "Wolvenmoon Bongofish let's rock" without quotes you can find my build log.

I learned a few tricks. I think there's a way to get this screen working at 60 or even 120 hz native 4k - it might be a bit expensive to do the mod, I guesstimate up to $120.

So. An LCD panel is really a beautifully simple thing when you break it down into parts. You have the panel itself, the power source/driver for the backlight, then the controller/scaler. The last latter part is responsible for handling all inputs to the screen and all outputs to the panel. They use standards just like PC motherboards. This means they're interchangeable - easily. It's almost obscenely easy to swap them out!

The google-fu you need is "4k LCD controller" sans quotes.

Granted life's never that easy. This might require a bit more than plug and play. But it might not.

Does anyone have high resolution pictures of the Seiki 39 or 50 inch LCD panels' controller boards?
I wish I had seen this post a little sooner but I was so busy over the Holiday Season (as most are) I haven't checked the thread in a while!!!

Are you still active on here? I would be more than happy to help you as much as I can! Let's do this!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:48 PM

Liked: 8
Send a message via Yahoo to a250gpguy
4k @ 60 or 120hz would add some awesome life to this cheap pretty great tv/monitor

Ch

sent from knee deep in snow
Old 01-19-2016, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Send a message via AIM to NightWolve
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo12345 View Post
Seiki sent me a firmware update which resolved the issue of the headphone jack when in use not muting the tv. The solution was firmware baseline 303, created on January 9, 2015. After install the tv now mutes when headphones are inserted or external speakers are inserted into the headphone jack.

Thank you Seiki. I don't know how to post a file or i would post it (the firmware from 1/9/2015).

As far as the remote control problem, that still persists (see above).
Ah darn, the one guy that managed to get a newer 2015 firmware from Seiki didn't know how to share it for anyone... Well, I'll email him, see if he's around to try to get it... I also sent an email to Seiki asking for the latest firmware, so we'll see if I can get anything from them doubtful as that is.

P.S.

My fix on the blanking problem: I did cause this when I learned how to overclock my video card with the Custom Resolution Utility to output 1080p at a glorious 120 Hz instead of 60 Hz... This TV/monitor is beautiful once you can get it to 120 Hz, that's for sure!!!

So, here's what I did wrong: In trying to create a custom resolution/refresh profile for my Radeon 5450 video card using ToastyX's CRU 1.2.6, I selected the first option under Timing which was "LCD standard." However, this was not ideal with the Seiki 39" and would occasionally cause blanking regardless of the firmware I later realized...

The fix: I edited the profile and tried the 2nd option "LCD Native" which defaults to a perfect/even 120.000 Hz (instead of 120.003 Hz) for the vertical refresh rate, and 135.000 kHz, etc. In the end, the profile should be listed as "1920x1080 @ 120.000 Hz (297.00 Mhz)" - you want even values, no fractions, e.g. 120.003, etc.!

So, if you're having this problem and you created your own profile to force the option of 1080p @ 120 Hz, you might try checking that profile again.

I would've post screenshots, but this is my 1st forum post so I can't. But yeah, that's how I fixed my blanking problem, the settings for the custom creation of a new resolution were not quite right... Don't blame the TV just yet or the HDMI wire, although you'd want a quality, heavy gauged cable and not the el cheapos to rule the connection out. I changed firmware multiple times before having another look and realizing it was something as simple as this!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:24 PM

SE39UY04 39" 2015 Firmware exists!

Hi, got an update to report on the 39" model. This post is mostly duplicated with the one I made in 39" thread. I know this thread concerns the 50" model mainly, but since advice came from here to use its firmware on the 39" model, you might have some people that still check this thread for info on it, etc.

OK, so I decided to exchange my Seiki 39" SE39UY04 back at my local Microcenter for the last one they had in stock. The firmware was originally dated July 2014 before I messed around with it. I was ready to keep it, but my eye caught an area at the bottom left where a speck of debris got sandwiched in between the panel outer plastic. Once you spot something like that, it becomes hard to ignore if you're OCD picky and want the best for your money. But this was a refurbished model and it was a roll of the dice to begin with, some are worse, some are much better, some are almost new where you can't tell the difference.

To the point, the new Seiki SE39UY04 I picked up today shows me that Seiki updated the firmware and I can now confirm that daveo DID in fact receive a 2015 firmware per his claim!

Here's photo confirmation via the Service Menu:

I PM'ed daveo to try to get the firmware, and also opened up tech support exchange with Seiki to get it from them, but they stalled me yet again, now asking for the screenshot above when I already gave them the model and both serial numbers since refurbished models get a 2nd one... I will email them back and ask for anything newer, or at least this 2015 one shown here so I can share it with anybody else that wants to upgrade.

The thing is, this is now officially a discontinued model and they're not gonna be keen on still supporting it, so I wanna try to get the final firmware in an image file from them before it's too late and host it for others as they have removed any and all links to existing firmware on their website... Past this year, they're really not gonna care about these 4K@30Hz models anymore I suspect...

Anyway, yeah, I will post the final firmware for this model if the agents I'm emailing with give it to me or daveo gets my PM... We'll see... :/
Old 01-21-2016, 11:15 PM

Download the final Jan 09, 2015 firmware for Seiki's SE39UY04 here!

Alright, to those that still own the 39" model, I scored what I believe is the final firmware for it!

FileName: "ATSC_THTF_SY15053_ST2975C_CMI_V390DK1_LS1_2015010 9.zip"
Firmware Date: January 09, 2015

I posted all the info and download in the 39" thread:

Review of the Seiki 39" 4K display - SE39UY04

It's preferable for any hackers/modders to be working on the final version should they be able to come up with something interesting in the future, so I'd rather have this one floating around and tested. Please report any improvements/bug fixes or if it has the opposite effect.

There definitely is one aspect they took away, the old 2013 firmware that said backlight, allowed you to control the backlight from the regular menu and RGB values instead of going in the service menu with the code. But, no big deal since anybody that knows how to upgrade the firmware already knows how to access the service menu.

Anyway, hope it helps someone out, take care!

Oh, and please mirror my download links to preserve the downloads for a few years. My mediafire account's been around for 7 years, so I don't expect a problem with that, but it's always good to have backup/mirror links, etc.

I likely won't return to the forum, as I just wanted to get the latest firmware and learn how to activate true 120 Hz mode for my PC, but I did my part as a cautiously proud new owner of this fine (when tweaked) TV.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:42 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWolve View Post
FileName: "ATSC_THTF_SY15053_ST2975C_CMI_V390DK1_LS1_2015010 9.zip"
Firmware Date: January 09, 2015
Did anybody else lose their HDMI audio with this firmware? I tried two sources, my PC and my boxee box. I had to flash back to the firmware with backlight support in the user menus to get the sound back.

I'm thinking when they built it, they seemed to have changed a line in the project file from:
#define Board_AMP_default
to
#define Board_AMP_NULL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv