Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 221 Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
Try different HDMI cables preferably 6 feet or longer and clearly marked as high speed or 4k rated. Your photo shows what could be sparkles which used to occur if very early hdmi cables (rated 1080i) were used for 1080p60. Also, make sure the adapter is 4k rated. Good luck.
Having heard about troubles with the included cable, I tried first with a brand new, high-speed rated 12'-long HDMI cable. It was no better than the cable that came with the unit. It's been just over 12 hours since I got my TV & I'm really starting to dislike Seiki, seeing as I tried to reach customer support starting at 5AM without ever reaching anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 221 Old 08-21-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwoodrow View Post
I've tried separate HDMI cables but the same results occur. Do you think it could be the cheap mini displayPort adapter I purchased from China?
I use a cheap cablematters bought from amazon. Only 1080p60 out however but no problems. Buy one that people rate highly or at least claims 4k support.
post #213 of 221 Old 08-21-2014, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
I use a cheap cablematters bought from amazon. Only 1080p60 out however but no problems. Buy one that people rate highly or at least claims 4k support.
Turns out, my mini displayport adapter was the problem. I went to Best Buy and tried my setup on one of their 4k TVs and the same "sparkling" effect occurred. I then tried one of their adapters from the store, and the artifacts went away. Brought it back home to confirm that it works with my Seiki, and to my delight, it does. However, I will say it only seems to work with the 4k Seiki upscaling cable I purchased from here: http://www.hhgregg.com/seiki-u-visio...e/item/SU4KC11.

Thanks for the help!
post #214 of 221 Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBear View Post
Having heard about troubles with the included cable, I tried first with a brand new, high-speed rated 12'-long HDMI cable. It was no better than the cable that came with the unit. It's been just over 12 hours since I got my TV & I'm really starting to dislike Seiki, seeing as I tried to reach customer support starting at 5AM without ever reaching anyone.
I would suggest that you update the NVIDIA driver on your laptop. The Intel HD 4600 chip should drive the panel without any problems.
post #215 of 221 Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
I would suggest that you update the NVIDIA driver on your laptop. The Intel HD 4600 chip should drive the panel without any problems.
Currently, I'm running Nvidia 340.52 drivers, the latest I believe. I doubt my system is the problem.

Since switching to HDMI2 (instead of HDMI3 on the side) the picture is staying more stably, though it still flakes out from time to time. Also getting sparkles here & there.

Also, the image is scaled up, which is not what I want. How do I display my desktop at 4K resolution?

Is there a worksheet posted somewhere for tuning up this tv for optimal computer monitor performance?
post #216 of 221 Old 08-23-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Currently, I'm running Nvidia 340.52 drivers, the latest I believe. I doubt my system is the problem.

Since switching to HDMI2 (instead of HDMI3 on the side) the picture is staying more stably, though it still flakes out from time to time. Also getting sparkles here & there.

Also, the image is scaled up, which is not what I want. How do I display my desktop at 4K resolution?

Is there a worksheet posted somewhere for tuning up this tv for optimal computer monitor performance?
I'm baffled by what you're describing. At home, I'm running Mac OS X Mountain Lion on a Mac Mini (late 2012 version w/Intel HD 4000 Graphics) connected to the 50" Seiki. I also have a Windows 8.1 tower with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 connected to the 55" version, and at work I have the 39" version connected (via a DisplayPort to HDMI cable) to a Dell Optiplex 9020 running Windows 7 w/Intel HD 4600 Graphics. I have been unable to replicate the issues you're experiencing on any of the HDMI inputs on the 3 displays. Each TV displays a 3840 x 2160 image without any scaling or artifacts, or the need for the U-Vision Upconversion cable...and even though the Mac Mini has a Core i7 processor, it is driving the 50" Seiki with just 768 MB of video RAM.

Check the connectors on your devices and your HDMI cables closely with a flashlight to see if any pins are misaligned or bent. If everything seems okay, perhaps you need to exchange the Seiki. I hope you get the problem resolved...the Seikis are considered by many to be little more than glorified computer monitors with "extra pixels", but I think they are pretty good at what they do. I use them not only as monitors, but to view my collection of Blu-Ray movies streamed from my NAS. Each of my media streamers is connected to the display via the U-Vision cable, and the upconverted images are excellent, though not as sharp and detailed as the true 4K content I've downloaded from various websites.
post #217 of 221 Old 08-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
I'm baffled by what you're describing. At home, I'm running Mac OS X Mountain Lion on a Mac Mini (late 2012 version w/Intel HD 4000 Graphics) connected to the 50" Seiki. I also have a Windows 8.1 tower with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 connected to the 55" version, and at work I have the 39" version connected (via a DisplayPort to HDMI cable) to a Dell Optiplex 9020 running Windows 7 w/Intel HD 4600 Graphics. I have been unable to replicate the issues you're experiencing on any of the HDMI inputs on the 3 displays. Each TV displays a 3840 x 2160 image without any scaling or artifacts, or the need for the U-Vision Upconversion cable...and even though the Mac Mini has a Core i7 processor, it is driving the 50" Seiki with just 768 MB of video RAM.

Check the connectors on your devices and your HDMI cables closely with a flashlight to see if any pins are misaligned or bent. If everything seems okay, perhaps you need to exchange the Seiki. I hope you get the problem resolved...the Seikis are considered by many to be little more than glorified computer monitors with "extra pixels", but I think they are pretty good at what they do. I use them not only as monitors, but to view my collection of Blu-Ray movies streamed from my NAS. Each of my media streamers is connected to the display via the U-Vision cable, and the upconverted images are excellent, though not as sharp and detailed as the true 4K content I've downloaded from various websites.
Experimentally, I hooked it up to my old tower case: 680i nForce mobo with Q6600 CPU & Quadro FX1500 video card (via DVI to HDMI) & it's not working; getting the ever-so-articulate "NOT SUPPORT" message. Have been thinking of building a mini-ITX system with a GTX-750Ti, so I may go ahead & do that as I've read that newer video cards make a difference. Still, as I said earlier, my HP laptop has a GT-740M, so I'm not sure what to think at this point.

I *might* consider an exchange.. that is if I could *EVER* get ahold of these people by telephone. What's the deal? They just blow people off indefinitely?

BB
post #218 of 221 Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 PM

Smile

Quote:
Experimentally, I hooked it up to my old tower case...
Update: I'm now getting a stable signal from my old tower system. The problem was I boot into Ubuntu by default. So, now I can get a 1920x1080@60Hz picture, but when I set it to 3840x2160@30Hz, the image is upscaled 1080. (I blame this on my venerable Quadro card, not the Seiki.)

So, for the moment, I'm happy using it at 1080, but I'm on the hunt for a beefier videocard, (looking at the Palit fanless 750Ti...)

Anybody running a 750Ti? Anybody get this guy playing nice with Linux?

BB
post #219 of 221 Old 08-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
alright quick question how is the 50 inch sets picture quality on lets say directv HD and xbox one games and bluray? I will get the cable in the next couple days but I am thinking of running to HHGREGG and getting this tv on a price match at 449....I am replacing a 2007 toshiba 42hl167 that is doing some really weird things with color and getting lines through the picture...if someone can answer asap I really would appericate it!
post #220 of 221 Old 08-29-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, I have the latest firmware but TV still says 1080i/60hz. I thought I could get to 1080p/120hz automatically. Is there an adjustment or something I am missing? I am not using a laptop, just have comcast xfinity box, apple tv.

Last edited by Dylan Anderson; 08-29-2014 at 02:03 PM.
post #221 of 221 Old 08-29-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Anderson View Post
Hi, I have the latest firmware but TV still says 1080i/60hz. I thought I could get to 1080p/120hz automatically. Is there an adjustment or something I am missing? I am not using a laptop, just have comcast xfinity box, apple tv.
The TV will accept a 1080p/120Hz signal from a computer...but it will not upscale a 1080i/60Hz signal to that resolution. Also, please note that neither the cable box or the Apple TV are capable of outputting the 1080p/24Hz signal required for the TV to upscale (via the U-Vision cable) to 2160p/30Hz. The U-Vision cable (which enhances all progressive scan signals, regardless of source) can be purchased here:

http://www.hhgregg.com/seiki-u-visio...le/item/SU4KC1
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page