sony xbr65x900a has problems with motion and fast action scenes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really wanted this tv and thought it looked absolutely incredible but noticed the demo mostly showed still pics. I ended up watching life of pi 4k at the bestbuy magnolia and the general consensus from the sale staff was that the motion was jumpy and kinda lousy on the tv especially for $6999. I was still on the fence about which tv i wanted and best buy ordered me a rose gold samsung so i could compare it to the sony. they unboxed it and set it up right next to it and played avatar. Trust me i really wanted the sony!!! but the samsung had much better fluidity with the action scenes and the sony just looked jumpy and strange. If you guys look at the demo reel in 4k that sony plays on a loop on that tv youll notice its mostly still pics and they show a soccer game briefly. watch the soccer ball when it moves it looks really strange. My question is this, why would sony give this tv such a poor refresh rate of 120hz and what would you do? Im leaning toward the rose gold because it appears to be the better tv overall dont get me wrong the sony is incredible but the motion thing is bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2013, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would have never spent the money on the rose gold television, I have seen this tv in person and noticed the horrible backlight bleeding on the rose gold samsung.

The demo they might have been using was probably a very bad demo, the 65" xbr I have seen at magnolia stores along with the 55" i see at some regular best buy stores seeing a remastered 4k bluray was perfectly fine.

FYI there is currently no 240hz 4K panel out in the world right now which is why there isn't a 240hz panel. But the biggest differences between a 120hz panel and 240hz panel is 120hz panels tend to be dimmer as they require more work to motion flow while a 240hz requires less work to motion flow to 960 or whatever. If you notice as you push the motion flow higher in televisions the tv gets dimmer.

Currently Using:
SONY 55HX750
LG 55LM7600
B&W Panorama 1
post #3 of 5 Old 06-14-2013, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfador2002 View Post

I really wanted this tv and thought it looked absolutely incredible but noticed the demo mostly showed still pics. I ended up watching life of pi 4k at the bestbuy magnolia and the general consensus from the sale staff was that the motion was jumpy and kinda lousy on the tv especially for $6999....dont get me wrong the sony is incredible but the motion thing is bad.

I only have my Sony for two days, but there are several adjustable motion and flow settings that correct and fine-tune the issue you wrote about.

Actually I am truly impressed that watching something like "Weeds" on Netflix, the smoothness of the video is outstanding. It is beyond television, looking like the live, real world.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-14-2013, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Are we talking about the dreaded soap opera effect where everything looks live including film?

Matt
post #5 of 5 Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I saw what your speaking about.

I watched "Mad Men" on DVR last night and there were scenes where the image had a stutter on panning shots. While I haven't explored all setting options (and rely on comments from members here) turning off Motionflow corrected it.

I'm going to have to explore the setting options:

[Motionflow]
[Smooth]: Provides smoother picture movement; especially effective for film-based content.
[Standard]: Provides smoother picture movement for standard use.
[Clear]: Reduces motion blur while maintaining brightness for high-speed picture content.
[Clear Plus]: Reduces motion blur for high-speed picture content more than [Clear].
[Impulse]: Reproduces original picture quality. Provides cinema-like picture, which may flicker.
[True Cinema]: Images, such as a movie created in 24 frames per second, are reproduced at the
original framerate.
[Off]: Use this setting if [Smooth], [Standard], [Clear], [Clear Plus], [Impulse] or [True Cinema]
results in a distorted picture.
(Depending on the picture content, you may not see the effect visually even if you have changed
the settings.)

[CineMotion]
[Auto]: Displays film-based content with picture expression close to the original by applying a filmspecific
process.
[Off]: Turns off [CineMotion].
(If the image contains irregular signals or too much noise, this setting is automatically turned off
even if [Auto] is selected.)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page