LG LN5700 or Samsung FH6300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a 47" LG LN5700 a week ago. I'm considering exchanging it and trying a Samsung 6300 but the difference in price is considerable, around $250. Plus the higher price makes the extended warranty price go up. I like the LG but have heard good things about the Samsung picture quality and that black levels may be better. The LG allows me to use my iphone as a keyboard for the smart apps while apparently, Samsung's app only works on their phones now. The LG price is much more affordable for me but I don't know if I'd see a big enough improvement to justify the higher price. I'm trying to go thru my blu ray collection to find a movie with good black levels to test it out but can't seem to find anything to help me decide. I know the LG is new but has anyone else tried one out that can compare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 08:43 AM

Im curious about opinions about this as well smile.gif
post #3 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Does the LG 5700 have a matte screen or glossy screen? The 5400 has a glossy screen and an IPS panel, and I believe the 6200 does as well. But not sure about the 5700. Also the 5400 has direct backlighting; not sure about the 5700. The Samsung 6300 is edge lit, but no microdimming. But their FH6030 is direct lit and more affordable, so may be another good option but lacks Smart TV.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 AM

I just picked up a 55LN5700 last night, which is the 55" version. I can tell you for sure the one I purchased has a very glossy IPS screen. I've noticed other reviewers said their screens were not IPS and not glossy, but their TV sizes were mostly 42". Maybe the screen changes as it gets higher? Still playing around with it to determine how I like it. It replaced a 42" LW5300. I did notice light bleed coming in from the bottom right corner of my screen and a little bit from the bottom of the TV, but thats about it. I'm very picky though, so it may not bother other folks as much.

I'm a bit bummed out with how reflective the screen is. I was looking at plasmas as well before making this purchase and this is what I would imagine a plasma screen would look like (as far as the reflectiveness is concerned). I wish I could find some calibration settings around the net somewhere. None of the preset modes are really "wowing" me.

I can also confirm this 55" LN5700 does have direct LED back lighting, which is easily determined by how thick the back of the TV is.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mine is also very glossy. I had read some things saying it wasn't but I agree that it may be different for other sizes. My Toshiba that it replaced is clearly a matte screen and this is very different. I noticed yesterday when it was off and I was walking by, it was almost like looking at myself in glass, it was that reflective and clear. I didn't notice the light bleed that much in the corner and on the right side when watching a movie that filled the screen, even on dark scenes. Last night I watched the Matrix in a dark room and with the letterbox on the top and bottom, the light on the right was very noticeable. Maybe because I know it is there, my eyes are drawn to it but it was distracting. It also showed a very small amount of bleeding on the right side going all the way down the screen, it was much less than the corner though.

Today I picked up a 50" Vizio e500i A1. This is also direct lit and so far looks pretty good. I tried the Cnet calibration settings but it was way too dark. I don't have a lot of direct sunlight coming in, drapes are drawn on the south/west side of the house, but there was a lot of light still from the kitchen. Maybe once it is dark tonight those settings would work better. I used the WOW disc and the picture looks pretty good right now in daytime. I'm anxious to check it tonight and see how it looks, will also calibrate movie mode for night time bluray viewing. This screen is definitely more matte, way less reflection.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 48
PMFJI - Let me just share some very recent experiences.

I picked up a Samsung UN50ES6150 from Costco which is the club version of the 6100, I am told. And they do look the same. The 2013 model is the UN50F6350 / 6300. These are all edge lit. But I did look at the full array back lit models also & could not see a lot of difference in the screen glare or reflectance.

I also looked at some LG models but thought they were not much different in this respect.

The manufacturers all seem to call these semi-matte screens, but I look at them as semi-gloss.

I looked at a Vizio 50" & a 60". The model series numbers were slightly different, but the 60" had less glare than the 50". But they did not list a 50" with the same model series as the 60".

Some of the older Sharps have a more matte screen than others, but I could not find one the size I wanted.

With the current Samsung I see myself sitting in the recliner. That's in daylight with all the lights off, but light still comes in through the window coverings. At night I have to turn off almost every light in the house in order to prevent any glare or reflection. The glossy screen is supposed to make for a better picture & I think the Samsung has a good picture - when there is no glare.

I'm trying to find something with a matte screen. I really don't want to watch TV in a cave-like environment and may just revert back to using my old matte screen Sony.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele519 View Post

Mine is also very glossy. I had read some things saying it wasn't but I agree that it may be different for other sizes. My Toshiba that it replaced is clearly a matte screen and this is very different. I noticed yesterday when it was off and I was walking by, it was almost like looking at myself in glass, it was that reflective and clear. I didn't notice the light bleed that much in the corner and on the right side when watching a movie that filled the screen, even on dark scenes. Last night I watched the Matrix in a dark room and with the letterbox on the top and bottom, the light on the right was very noticeable. Maybe because I know it is there, my eyes are drawn to it but it was distracting. It also showed a very small amount of bleeding on the right side going all the way down the screen, it was much less than the corner though.

Today I picked up a 50" Vizio e500i A1. This is also direct lit and so far looks pretty good. I tried the Cnet calibration settings but it was way too dark. I don't have a lot of direct sunlight coming in, drapes are drawn on the south/west side of the house, but there was a lot of light still from the kitchen. Maybe once it is dark tonight those settings would work better. I used the WOW disc and the picture looks pretty good right now in daytime. I'm anxious to check it tonight and see how it looks, will also calibrate movie mode for night time bluray viewing. This screen is definitely more matte, way less reflection.

How is the Vizio holding up? I'm thinking about returning my LG because of the glare. I was looking at the E550i to replace it.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-29-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

The Vizio has less glare. For the price, it is not bad. I'm coming from a 42" edge lit so not really sure how the direct lit is supposed to look. I posted in the thread for this model with some pictures. Not sure if the backlighting is normal, seemed a little brighter in the lower corners but not bad with the backlight turned down. Definitely better than the LG I got. I watched the Hunger Games the other night and thought it looked pretty good. The settings in that thread did not work for me but I played with it quite a bit and got it better for the lighting in my living room. There is another thing that is a benefit, I think. I had called LG for help with getting their iphone app to work and they told me I couldn't use the phone's keyboard to input. Apparently cs was wrong because I figured it out. i had a little trouble understanding the person I spoke to, not sure if their support is overseas or not but Vizio's support definitely is in the US. I had to call a couple times and reached them very quickly on Sunday and again on Monday, memorial day. Waited no time at all on the phone. I couldn't get ARC to work for using the smart apps, apparently I had to do device discovery with my receiver. CS was very helpful and had it working in a few minutes.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 AM

How did you get the LG app to work with the TV? LN5700, right? I tried to pair them up but had no luck.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

I don't remember exactly where but there was an option to pair a device, I don't remember if I used that for the app or to set up DLNA. I had no problems getting it working, just couldn't figure out how to use the keyboard. The app has a pointer u use on the phone like a mouse. If u want to use the keyboard just move the mouse to the address bar and the phone changes to keyboard mode.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele519 View Post

The Vizio has less glare. For the price, it is not bad. I'm coming from a 42" edge lit so not really sure how the direct lit is supposed to look. I posted in the thread for this model with some pictures. Not sure if the backlighting is normal, seemed a little brighter in the lower corners but not bad with the backlight turned down. Definitely better than the LG I got. I watched the Hunger Games the other night and thought it looked pretty good. The settings in that thread did not work for me but I played with it quite a bit and got it better for the lighting in my living room. There is another thing that is a benefit, I think. I had called LG for help with getting their iphone app to work and they told me I couldn't use the phone's keyboard to input. Apparently cs was wrong because I figured it out. i had a little trouble understanding the person I spoke to, not sure if their support is overseas or not but Vizio's support definitely is in the US. I had to call a couple times and reached them very quickly on Sunday and again on Monday, memorial day. Waited no time at all on the phone. I couldn't get ARC to work for using the smart apps, apparently I had to do device discovery with my receiver. CS was very helpful and had it working in a few minutes.

Thanks for the input. So did you keep the LG as well or decide to return it? I went and looked at the Vizio in the store again today and it is setup right next to the 55LN5700. To my eyes, the Vizio looks like the red colors are more pink and viewing angle looks pretty bad, but who knows how the settings are since it is a display. Really considering returning the LG because of the glare and light bleeds, but I just can't find many reviews for the E550i, only the E550i. I imagine they should be nearly identical except for the screen size.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 50ln5700 50 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv , Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 42lw5300 42 Class 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page