We're at a 12 Foot Seating Distance...What Would Represent a Visibly Impactful Difference From a 50"? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 139 Old 11-24-2013, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I replaced my 65 inch Mits CRT rear projection with a Vizio M801d a little over a month ago. I sit at 11-12 feet and it already looks normal to me (when my wife's not watching I sometimes scoot up to 10ft.--she doesn't want me sitting "in the middle of the room").
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 139 Old 11-24-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
So what are you saying, Joseph...that even an 80-inch screen isn't gonna look all that "impactful" at 12 feet? mad.gif

I don't think we'll ever be able to go any bigger for size and cost...

post #123 of 139 Old 11-24-2013, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

Huh?

I am the OP, and I do have a separate nice 5.1 setup...
Lol! My bad
post #124 of 139 Old 11-24-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

So what are you saying, Joseph...that even an 80-inch screen isn't gonna look all that "impactful" at 12 feet? mad.gif

I don't think we'll ever be able to go any bigger for size and cost...

What he is saying is after awhile it will seem normal, it's not going to have that "wow" factor every time you sit down to watch TV.
post #125 of 139 Old 11-24-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

What he is saying is after awhile it will seem normal, it's not going to have that "wow" factor every time you sit down to watch TV.

Oh, yes, I see colour; and yes -- unfortunately this does happen...I am expecting to be "used" to the larger screen within probably a month with all the watching I do...mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

post #126 of 139 Old 11-24-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDDUFRENE View Post

Lol! My bad

No worries.

post #127 of 139 Old 11-24-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Oh, yes, I see colour; and yes -- unfortunately this does happen...I am expecting to be "used" to the larger screen within probably a month with all the watching I do...mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I don't see this necessarily as a bad thing though. It's just the adjustment of physical perception. I can walk out into the garage a month after getting a new car and while I may not say "Hey! Look at that new car!" it does t change the fact that it's new/newer and better than what I had before.

Besides, it's all kind of a mute point if you can't go to a bigger screen than what you're considering, right?
josephpearson likes this.
post #128 of 139 Old 11-25-2013, 04:25 PM

At 12 (or 10 when the wife isn't watching), the 80 inch Vizio has very good immersion. My old 65 inch would seem sad in comparison (and it was a very good set in its day). If I could, I'd get a 100 inch 4k screen but that doesn't exist, would be way too expensive if it did exist, and my wife would murder me in my sleep. I'm very pleased with what I have and am looking forward to playing AC3 in 3D over Thanksgiving. smile.gif
post #129 of 139 Old 11-25-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I don't see this necessarily as a bad thing though. It's just the adjustment of physical perception. I can walk out into the garage a month after getting a new car and while I may not say "Hey! Look at that new car!" it does t change the fact that it's new/newer and better than what I had before.

Besides, it's all kind of a mute point if you can't go to a bigger screen than what you're considering, right?

Well, not sure what you mean by the latter portion of your question/statement, but at the end of the day I'd just like to know if at a massive, ridiculous seating distance like 12 feet something like a 75 or 80 incher will seem large...

post #130 of 139 Old 11-25-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpearson View Post

At 12 (or 10 when the wife isn't watching), the 80 inch Vizio has very good immersion. My old 65 inch would seem sad in comparison (and it was a very good set in its day). If I could, I'd get a 100 inch 4k screen but that doesn't exist, would be way too expensive if it did exist, and my wife would murder me in my sleep. I'm very pleased with what I have and am looking forward to playing AC3 in 3D over Thanksgiving. smile.gif

Thanks Joe; how is the Vizio 80 incher? How much did you get it for and where?

post #131 of 139 Old 11-26-2013, 02:42 PM

I really like it. I got it for $3300 because my local Best Buy was willing to price match Sam's Club which at that time had it for that price (even though the Best Buy version is the R version with four more glasses). I think the lowest price right now is probably 3700.
post #132 of 139 Old 11-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I had my first 4K sitting Monday at my local Sam's Club. I think it was a 55inch at three grand and a 65inch for forty five hundred, LG's with all the bells and whistles, thats about the same price as what the first or maybe a bit more then the, 65inch 3D L.G. LED set was a few years back. I would not buy a new set right now that is 1080 anything as the prices is going to come down fast with the ramping up on the production of the 4K screens. By the way if you like close I could not see the pixels from about 18 inches away on the 55 so I would guess 5 feet out can work.
post #133 of 139 Old 11-27-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I really like it. I got it for $3300 because my local Best Buy was willing to price match Sam's Club which at that time had it for that price (even though the Best Buy version is the R version with four more glasses). I think the lowest price right now is probably 3700.

How's the picture quality on the Vizio? What mode are you set to?

post #134 of 139 Old 11-27-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

I had my first 4K sitting Monday at my local Sam's Club. I think it was a 55inch at three grand and a 65inch for forty five hundred, LG's with all the bells and whistles, thats about the same price as what the first or maybe a bit more then the, 65inch 3D L.G. LED set was a few years back. I would not buy a new set right now that is 1080 anything as the prices is going to come down fast with the ramping up on the production of the 4K screens. By the way if you like close I could not see the pixels from about 18 inches away on the 55 so I would guess 5 feet out can work.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the 4K thing yet; it may be a passing fad, somewhat, like what 3D is right this moment IMO...I saw "Grown Ups 2" on Blu-ray which was supposed to be "mastered" in 4K (of course, it was a Sony release) but I didn't see much of a difference between a good 1080p transfer and the 4K mastering image...of course, it wasn't true 4K as I don't have a compatible display nor is there true media yet but...

post #135 of 139 Old 11-27-2013, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Yeah, I'm not sure about the 4K thing yet; it may be a passing fad, somewhat, like what 3D is right this moment IMO...I saw "Grown Ups 2" on Blu-ray which was supposed to be "mastered" in 4K (of course, it was a Sony release) but I didn't see much of a difference between a good 1080p transfer and the 4K mastering image...of course, it wasn't true 4K as I don't have a compatible display nor is there true media yet but...
Actually 4k will be a main stay, it's just the fact as you stated the content isn't here yet but, the blue ray association is currently working on a disc, this coming year Netflix is jumping on board by streaming 4k. So it will be here to stay but I'll wait for the 4k oled's to come out and be affordable.
post #136 of 139 Old 11-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I recall that about 10/12 years ago there were what was called 480P set that at the time looked like the HD sets and at that time 40 inch LCD were common, they were called extended definition. I remember a guy telling me that this new 720/1080 stuff was just a fad and the ED was here to say. 2 weeks later there were no more ED sets because the 720/1080 played the 480I & P. Then 1080P came around and sets that were just 720/1080i were on the way out. It's not that the older standers are not OK but if you are a manufacture your are going to build to the highest common denominator with the same equipment, that is this case is the panel that puts out the picture, the stuff inside can be switched in a heart beat. I bet all the manufactures of the panels and I read there are not a lot, are gearing up for 4K production as we debate if its here to stay. Bet in 2 years the only thing left at 1080p are the off off off brands using out of date everything with names you have never heard of. And by the way 3D is becoming stander for the better set's as in say Vizio M and E sears set and I am not sure I think a lot of the E line is 3D, there is something ells that going to be around until there is 3D without glasses and by then it going to be a standard like the LED back light has become. With tech there is always somebody with a better idea.
post #137 of 139 Old 11-29-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, if 4K is ramping up to be a "mainstay" to take over 1080p HD, will the upcoming players that will handle physical 4K media be able to "upconvert" both 1080p Blu-ray and DVD (as Blu-ray players have upconverted DVD)? In other words, will the "upscaling formula" continue evolving? If we get a 4K disc player, will it or should it be able to upscale the Blu-rays to "quasi-4K" as Blu-ray players do with DVDs?

post #138 of 139 Old 11-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:

How's the picture quality on the Vizio? What mode are you set to?
The PQ is excellent. I'm using game mode (except for sports) because I don't like the "soap opera effect." Ursa99 and others have posted settings and other information for the Vizio M series in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1480388/official-vizio-m-series-razor-owners-survival-thread
post #139 of 139 Old 11-30-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The PQ is excellent. I'm using game mode (except for sports) because I don't like the "soap opera effect." Ursa99 and others have posted settings and other information for the Vizio M series in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1480388/official-vizio-m-series-razor-owners-survival-thread

You're using GAME even for film watching?

Can't you turn off the "interpolation" effects that give that soap opera look on all modes?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv , Vizio M Series 55 Inch Led Lcd Tv M550sl , Vizio M3d550sr 55 Inch 1080p Lcd Tv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page