We're at a 12 Foot Seating Distance...What Would Represent a Visibly Impactful Difference From a 50"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 41
While our trusty 50-inch Sony SXRD rear projection set still produces vivid, sometimes incredibly-detailed images, especially with 1080p material fed to it, our seating distance from the screen -- being 12 feet -- is getting a bit long in the tooth impact wise; we've been toying with getting a bigger screen for some time now, but always due to monetary restraints and space constraints -- the set must fit in a wall unit we have unless we modify it somehow -- we just could never do it...

Alas, here I am again with hoping we can scratch up enough dough to finally make this upgrade possible -- but I have concerns. First, let me say this: We are not interested in a front-projection setup for this particular system and room, so please no suggestions of "a screen and projector is the ONLY way to go!" as we want to stick with a one-piece (albeit large) television system for now (and I mean that with all due respect)...next, I know ALL about the "size-to-distance" ratio charts that are ALWAYS provided when this question comes up and if we go according to that, we can squeeze like a 110-plus-inch monster at our seating distance of 12 feet, perhaps larger...this is if going by "official" numbers. That being said, I need a much more "reasonable" approach and suggestion for a larger television screen at our distance -- something that is going to make a considerable visual impact difference as compared to our 50-inch SXRD. My wife really wanted a 60-65" Panny plasma, but I don't think this will make a visual impact difference at the distance we're sitting from the screen compared to the 50-inch we have now. Then, we had our eyes on the large Sharp LCDs -- specifically, the 70-inch model...but now I'm thinking I may want to save up enough to get the 75-inch Samsung LCD as I think they make amazing displays...but at 12 feet, where are we going to begin "sensing" a visual impact difference over the 50-inch? Would 20 more inches with the 70 make the difference? Do I need to go larger -- like into the 80-plus-inch category of which we'd probably have to pick one of the Sharp LCDs (I believe they make them up to 92 inches or so) -- in order to see a massive difference from our 50?

Finally, what would be the recommendation on TV brand for a screen the size we're considering? Or specific model recommendation?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
At 12 feet a 65 would look great. I have one at 15 feet with very pleasing results. The BIGER the screen is the easier it is to see the pixels. What I would do is take a masurement of the space you plane on using, horizontal and vertical and find the biggest thing that can be sqused in. Remember to factor in the stand it come with for overall height. If you can get it on the wall you just may find something that will work for what you want. There is a lot of talk on AVS about the M range of Vizio's, 50 to 70 with an 80 on the way.
post #3 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

At 12 feet a 65 would look great. I have one at 15 feet with very pleasing results. The BIGER the screen is the easier it is to see the pixels. What I would do is take a masurement of the space you plane on using, horizontal and vertical and find the biggest thing that can be sqused in. Remember to factor in the stand it come with for overall height. If you can get it on the wall you just may find something that will work for what you want. There is a lot of talk on AVS about the M range of Vizio's, 50 to 70 with an 80 on the way.

Thank you very much for your response and input, Phil; it is greatly appreciated!

Okay, so you believe a 65-inch would look fine at 12 feet (being that you sit 15 feet from yours) -- so does that mean, if I can squeeze it, a 70-inch would look impactful as well, especially compared to the 50-inch we're running now?

The wall unit that is going to house the set -- in which the SXRD rear projection set sits now -- definitely won't hold anything bigger than a 58-incher or MAYBE a 60...so some kind of modification to the entertainment center (which we don't want to lose) is going to be necessary; also, we don't plan on hanging this screen on the wall of this particular room...

I never would have considered a VIZIO for serious media viewing at screens this large; this company is really coming a long way, huh? So they have a 70-inch flat panel right now, and plan to bring out an 80?

post #4 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I myself have a 60 inch sony sxrd dlp and am awaiting the release of the Vizio m series 80 inch. Currently i sit 10 ft away from the sony and after rearranging my basement, will be sitting roughly 12 ft away from the new set. The few forum members on here who have gotten the smaller sets have been raving about them so far.
post #5 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot410 View Post

I myself have a 60 inch sony sxrd dlp and am awaiting the release of the Vizio m series 80 inch. Currently i sit 10 ft away from the sony and after rearranging my basement, will be sitting roughly 12 ft away from the new set. The few forum members on here who have gotten the smaller sets have been raving about them so far.

Thanks, Big Foot!

I didn't know much about these VIZIOs until now; how much is the 80 going to retail for, do you know? So when you rearrange your room, you will be the same distance as me from the screen...which is 12 feet; do you think I could get away with anything smaller than 80-inches? That's gonna be a hard sell to the wife...

post #6 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'd go with 70" or bigger if I were you.

I recently moved my 65" LG 65LW6500 to the living room and replaced it in my HT with a 70" Sharp 70LE640U. You wouldn't think 5" would make much difference, but I think it is significant. BTW, viewing distance is 8 feet. Seats are about 4 feet away from the rear wall (for better surround sound). Moving back to 12 feet, I'd say 70" still has a lot of "impact". Since you're coming from a 50", likely it would be quite impressive. I'm very pleased with mine.

There are not a lot of choices in 70 plus. There's Sharp, of course, in 70, 80, and 90 inches. Plus a Samsung at 75" that's likely to be pricey, maybe more than you want to spend. Then there's Vizio, with 65, 70, and soon an 80 inch.

Sharp AQUOS TVs are decent mid-tier sets. All edge-lit this year except the 90" with full array backlighting. Look at the linked website, these prices are pretty much as cheap as can be found:

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Televisions-s/148.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=148&f-LED%20TV=24&show=30&page=1&brand=Sharp

Notice they still have some of last year's full array 80", for $3,239. If I could have swung it, I would have gotten that one last month. That set at 12 feet would definitely be impressive. Note that if you care at all about 3D, all Sharp 3D sets use the active 3D system. There is one non-3D 70" model.

The Vizio 70" is usually going to be a little cheaper than the base model Sharp 70", even with sales tax. I would expect the 80" to be similarly priced in relation to the current 80" Sharp. Last year's model may be another story, but since the 80" Vizio isn't out yet, who knows?

Good luck whatever you get.
post #7 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

While our trusty 50-inch Sony SXRD rear projection set still produces vivid, sometimes incredibly-detailed images, especially with 1080p material fed to it, our seating distance from the screen -- being 12 feet -- is getting a bit long in the tooth impact wise; we've been toying with getting a bigger screen for some time now, but always due to monetary restraints and space constraints -- the set must fit in a wall unit we have unless we modify it somehow -- we just could never do it...

Alas, here I am again with hoping we can scratch up enough dough to finally make this upgrade possible -- but I have concerns. First, let me say this: We are not interested in a front-projection setup for this particular system and room, so please no suggestions of "a screen and projector is the ONLY way to go!" as we want to stick with a one-piece (albeit large) television system for now (and I mean that with all due respect)...next, I know ALL about the "size-to-distance" ratio charts that are ALWAYS provided when this question comes up and if we go according to that, we can squeeze like a 110-plus-inch monster at our seating distance of 12 feet, perhaps larger...this is if going by "official" numbers. That being said, I need a much more "reasonable" approach and suggestion for a larger television screen at our distance -- something that is going to make a considerable visual impact difference as compared to our 50-inch SXRD. My wife really wanted a 60-65" Panny plasma, but I don't think this will make a visual impact difference at the distance we're sitting from the screen compared to the 50-inch we have now. Then, we had our eyes on the large Sharp LCDs -- specifically, the 70-inch model...but now I'm thinking I may want to save up enough to get the 75-inch Samsung LCD as I think they make amazing displays...but at 12 feet, where are we going to begin "sensing" a visual impact difference over the 50-inch? Would 20 more inches with the 70 make the difference? Do I need to go larger -- like into the 80-plus-inch category of which we'd probably have to pick one of the Sharp LCDs (I believe they make them up to 92 inches or so) -- in order to see a massive difference from our 50?

Finally, what would be the recommendation on TV brand for a screen the size we're considering? Or specific model recommendation?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

What are the dimensions of your wall unit? If you have that constraint, I don't think you can put a 70 inch display in a space for a 50 rptv.
post #8 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 06:58 PM

Liked: 32
12' and a 73" Mits DLP and it is GREAT!!! But to be honest, doesn't look quite as huge as when 1st installed...Go as big as you can, plain and simple. wink.gif
post #9 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

First of all, Fritz, let me start by saying thank you VERY much for your detailed reply and sincere insights...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

I'd go with 70" or bigger if I were you.

That's what I figured...
Quote:
I recently moved my 65" LG 65LW6500 to the living room and replaced it in my HT with a 70" Sharp 70LE640U. You wouldn't think 5" would make much difference, but I think it is significant. BTW, viewing distance is 8 feet. Seats are about 4 feet away from the rear wall (for better surround sound). Moving back to 12 feet, I'd say 70" still has a lot of "impact". Since you're coming from a 50", likely it would be quite impressive. I'm very pleased with mine.

Okay, good to know -- so the 70 at 12 feet will definitely, you think, seem "more immersive" as compared to my 50 for film watching?
Quote:
There are not a lot of choices in 70 plus. There's Sharp, of course, in 70, 80, and 90 inches. Plus a Samsung at 75" that's likely to be pricey, maybe more than you want to spend. Then there's Vizio, with 65, 70, and soon an 80 inch.

Yes, unfortunately I'm aware of the "lack" of sets 70 inches and larger as of right now, at least; we originally had our eyes on that Sharp 70 or 80 incher, but I REALLY like that Samsung 75-inch you mention, as I think they make incredible sets...however, as you also stated, this is probably going to be out of our price range...as for the VIZIOs, I suppose I could begin considering those based on the feedback here...does Sony have anything in the 70-plus-inch range as of right now?

So, the choices, brand-wise at least, come down to, right now:

Sharp
Samsung
VIZIO

Quote:
Sharp AQUOS TVs are decent mid-tier sets. All edge-lit this year except the 90" with full array backlighting. Look at the linked website, these prices are pretty much as cheap as can be found:

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Televisions-s/148.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=148&f-LED%20TV=24&show=30&page=1&brand=Sharp

Notice they still have some of last year's full array 80", for $3,239. If I could have swung it, I would have gotten that one last month. That set at 12 feet would definitely be impressive. Note that if you care at all about 3D, all Sharp 3D sets use the active 3D system. There is one non-3D 70" model.

Thank you very much for supplying the link; I am not interested in 3D, so do you think I could get away with a 70 or 80-inch Sharp for a somewhat affordable price tag if it's not a 3D set?
Quote:
The Vizio 70" is usually going to be a little cheaper than the base model Sharp 70", even with sales tax. I would expect the 80" to be similarly priced in relation to the current 80" Sharp. Last year's model may be another story, but since the 80" Vizio isn't out yet, who knows?

Good luck whatever you get.

Thank you, again; many things to chew on as I come closer to replacing my KDS-50A2020 SXRD....

My main concern was which sized set was going to provide a noticeable, impactful difference over our 50-inch at our seating distance (12 feet)...

post #10 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

What are the dimensions of your wall unit? If you have that constraint, I don't think you can put a 70 inch display in a space for a 50 rptv.

Hello myoda,

We already figured some kind of modifications are going to have to be made to our wall unit in order to fit anything bigger than a 60 inch in there....

As of right now, the wall unit can hold something bigger than our 50 -- it's not cut out for exactly a 50-inch screen; it can hold about a 58-60 inch in there...so modifications are going to have to be made to "stretch" the unit out somehow...

post #11 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

12' and a 73" Mits DLP and it is GREAT!!! But to be honest, doesn't look quite as huge as when 1st installed...Go as big as you can, plain and simple. wink.gif

I thought they weren't doing rear projection sets anymore (Mitsubishi)...?

At any rate, we considered one of the Mitsubishi DLP giants but just weren't impressed with overall picture quality compared to an LCD...

post #12 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 PM

Just like fritzi said, wouldn't go below 70 inch at that viewing distance and go 80 if the budget allows for it. The 80 inch Vizio is $3,999 retail. Considering the specs and features for that price point in relation to the sharps and samsungs for that size, I feel it's a pretty solid deal
post #13 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just like fritzi said, wouldn't go below 70 inch at that viewing distance and go 80 if the budget allows for it. The 80 inch Vizio is $3,999 retail. Considering the specs and features for that price point in relation to the sharps and samsungs for that size, I feel it's a pretty solid deal

Okay, well, yes, I don't plan on getting a screen less than 70 inches in size, so that's settled -- but is the 80-inch VIZIO available in the States yet?

post #14 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 PM

From speaking with amazon customer service, they expect to have them in stock around the beginning of June
post #15 of 139 Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, Sony is coming out with a 70" TV. There's a dedicated thread here in the LCD forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70

It seems it will be priced comparably to the Sharps. Passive 3D. One thing that would give me pause is that, if memory serves, Sony has discontinued making their own panels and is sourcing them primarily from LG. Unless LG has suddenly upped their game, black levels may be poor. My LG 65LW6500 has a native contrast of 1,600:1, versus my Sharp 70LE640U, with a native contrast of 2,200:1. It makes a considerable difference. Don't get me wrong, the LG has a nice picture, and the 3D (passive) is lovely. The Sharp beats it handily though, particularly in a dimmed room.

A couple other things:

That $3,999 price on the upcoming Vizio. I bet street price will be quite a bit less than that.

One big reason I went with Sharp over Vizio for my 70" is for fine calibration. With the Sharp I can access all the settings necessary for a full calibration. Not so for the Vizio. I think that is worthwhile, others might not.

[EDIT] Forgot to add: The "Quattron" on the upper model Sharps...not worth paying extra for. Those yellow subpixels were unnecessary; red, green and blue can produce all colors perceivable in the Rec 709 color space standard. As for 240 hz or 480 hz "Aquomotion", well, that is kinda misleading, as it refers to backlight scanning. Supposedly helps with motion but some feel it degrades picture quality in other ways. I personally think 120 HZ is fine.
post #16 of 139 Old 05-26-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

From speaking with amazon customer service, they expect to have them in stock around the beginning of June

Thanks very much for the info..smile.gif..

post #17 of 139 Old 05-26-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

Actually, now that I think about it, Sony is coming out with a 70" TV. There's a dedicated thread here in the LCD forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70

It seems it will be priced comparably to the Sharps. Passive 3D. One thing that would give me pause is that, if memory serves, Sony has discontinued making their own panels and is sourcing them primarily from LG. Unless LG has suddenly upped their game, black levels may be poor. My LG 65LW6500 has a native contrast of 1,600:1, versus my Sharp 70LE640U, with a native contrast of 2,200:1. It makes a considerable difference. Don't get me wrong, the LG has a nice picture, and the 3D (passive) is lovely. The Sharp beats it handily though, particularly in a dimmed room.

A couple other things:

That $3,999 price on the upcoming Vizio. I bet street price will be quite a bit less than that.

One big reason I went with Sharp over Vizio for my 70" is for fine calibration. With the Sharp I can access all the settings necessary for a full calibration. Not so for the Vizio. I think that is worthwhile, others might not.

[EDIT] Forgot to add: The "Quattron" on the upper model Sharps...not worth paying extra for. Those yellow subpixels were unnecessary; red, green and blue can produce all colors perceivable in the Rec 709 color space standard. As for 240 hz or 480 hz "Aquomotion", well, that is kinda misleading, as it refers to backlight scanning. Supposedly helps with motion but some feel it degrades picture quality in other ways. I personally think 120 HZ is fine.

I kind of suspected they had a 70-inch LCD out already for some reason; are they not planning on going any bigger with their screens, instead focusing on new technologies like OLED?

I'm not hugely into tweaking and calibration -- I normally throw my sets into a "Standard" mode and use different setup discs -- including the Spears & Munsil Blu-ray -- to set the basic settings (Color, Sharpness, Contrast, etc.) so if a set allows for minimum adjusting, I'm okay with that...

I'll be sure to stay away from the Quattron line -- do you think the Sharps still should be on my consideration list?

post #18 of 139 Old 05-26-2013, 06:01 PM

Well, AFAIK, Quattron doesn't hurt anything, it's just unnecessary. As for Aquomotion, you can take it or leave it. If you like it, keep it on. If not, turn it off. Same with motion interpolation.

Yes, Sharp is worth considering.

Good luck whatever you decide.
post #19 of 139 Old 05-26-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for your continued input...

I shall leave the Sharps on my consideration list.

The "Aquomotion" is what Sharp calls their interpolation function? You know something, when I first saw Blu-rays being shown on an LCD, I loved that "soap opera look" where it was like the characters were floating in some surreal music video...but I do see the distraction with that when watching film, and would probably use it in moderation...is the Sharp's interpolation adjustable?

So, we can definitely agree that at 12 feet, I should be looking at a set of NO LESS than 70 inches, right?

post #20 of 139 Old 05-26-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for your continued input...

I shall leave the Sharps on my consideration list.

The "Aquomotion" is what Sharp calls their interpolation function? You know something, when I first saw Blu-rays being shown on an LCD, I loved that "soap opera look" where it was like the characters were floating in some surreal music video...but I do see the distraction with that when watching film, and would probably use it in moderation...is the Sharp's interpolation adjustable?

So, we can definitely agree that at 12 feet, I should be looking at a set of NO LESS than 70 inches, right?

Aquomotion, MotionFlow, are marketing terms to sell televisions. They don't do a lot (if anything) to improve a picture from a blu-ray disc. I sit 12 feet away from my current 70 inch, and it's comfortable. I debated about the 80 inch, but decided it would be too massive for our space. (see my HT stuff) When I upgraded from a 27 inch Trinitron to a 51 inch Sony, it took about a day to get used to a larger screen. Upgrading to the 65 inch Mits DLP reduced the bulk and increased the screen size dramatically.

What I found that made the most impact in our room when we migrated from DLP to LED was the lack of noise, and regaining 16 inches of depth back in the living room with a panel that's a hair over 2 inches thick..

Sony is in the 70 inch game now too. If you don't want 3D, the Sony panels offer an alternative to Vizio. If you do want 3D, I'd suggest the active solution from Sharp in either 70 or 80 inches.

I sense that the wall unit is an issue. Can you post of picture of it?
post #21 of 139 Old 05-26-2013, 08:49 PM

Mits has stopped production...That just means better deals for the sets as well as the used market. I bought my 73" for $300 broken 3 years ago, got the part to repair off ebay for $100 so $400 and i have a sweet azz 73" 1080p DLP set that is closest to the theater pic quality than any LCD could ever hope. DLP has natural movement...not so much with LCD. Also, LCD HAS to be artificially bright which in a real world environment just doesn't cut the mustard...Jes sayin'. wink.gif
post #22 of 139 Old 05-27-2013, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Take a look at this. Basically multiple your viewing in inches by 1.2 and that is teh max size.
post #23 of 139 Old 05-27-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Aquomotion, MotionFlow, are marketing terms to sell televisions. They don't do a lot (if anything) to improve a picture from a blu-ray disc.

Oh, yes, I'm aware of the different "lables" the varying companies use for this sort of interpolation techniques; the thing is, when I saw a demo running on a BRAVIA LCD when we were shopping for our SXRD at Sears and the Pirates of the Caribbean clip depicted Johnny Depp nearly floating off the screen in some surreal fashion, I was absolutely hooked -- I recall playing with my SXRD, some time later, thinking I couldn't get the set to look like the demo I saw in the store, finally learning that my rear projection set didn't have those "refresh" features and wasn't designed to look like the BRAVIA LCDs. I also saw a clip, years later at a local Circus ****** before they went out of business, of The Dark Knight running on a Samsung LCD with this refresh feature on and the surreal, off-the-screen motion just floored me again. I realize this soap opera effect -- or the "filmed on video" sensation -- is not the way to view film based content, but I think I would experiment with a new LCD's refresh features to apply a subtle, small amount of it...
Quote:
I sit 12 feet away from my current 70 inch, and it's comfortable. I debated about the 80 inch, but decided it would be too massive for our space. (see my HT stuff) When I upgraded from a 27 inch Trinitron to a 51 inch Sony, it took about a day to get used to a larger screen. Upgrading to the 65 inch Mits DLP reduced the bulk and increased the screen size dramatically.

I'll check out your pics, thanks; so you're saying the 70 inch at 12 feet is "just comfortable"? You wouldn't call it "somewhat immersive"? This concerns me a little; would you think going up to a 75-inch or 80 would give the more "cinematically immersive" sensation?
Quote:
What I found that made the most impact in our room when we migrated from DLP to LED was the lack of noise, and regaining 16 inches of depth back in the living room with a panel that's a hair over 2 inches thick..

I don't detect much video noise of any kind with our Sony SXRD, whether it's standard material or high def, but I think I know what you mean in that rear projection images can just look...well.."busy" and "edgy" sometimes. For what it's worth, I keep our TV's Noise Reduction for the HDMI Blu-ray input on "Low" and some measure of Noise Reduction is engaged on my OPPO Blu-ray player (a BDP-83); further, my Sharpness control on the TV is set to "25" out of "100" using the Spears & Munsil calibration BD, and this seems to reduce a great deal of grain on Blu-rays and mosquito compression artifacts and noise on DVDs...

As for the thickness, since even the new display will be situated flush-mounted in an entertainment center, the "loss" of the rear projection bulk isn't really a factor because the flat screen will be at the same distance as our SXRD is now...
Quote:
Sony is in the 70 inch game now too. If you don't want 3D, the Sony panels offer an alternative to Vizio. If you do want 3D, I'd suggest the active solution from Sharp in either 70 or 80 inches.

I would definitely consider Sony for a new LCD, and we're not interested in 3D. I will work on getting pictures of the wall unit...

post #24 of 139 Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Aquomotion, MotionFlow, are marketing terms to sell televisions. They don't do a lot (if anything) to improve a picture from a blu-ray disc. I sit 12 feet away from my current 70 inch, and it's comfortable. I debated about the 80 inch, but decided it would be too massive for our space. (see my HT stuff) When I upgraded from a 27 inch Trinitron to a 51 inch Sony, it took about a day to get used to a larger screen. Upgrading to the 65 inch Mits DLP reduced the bulk and increased the screen size dramatically.

I see you're on Club Polk, too; I have RTi12's as mains, a CSi30 center and a PSW350 sub...

I like your setup, though it's hard to get an idea of the viewing angle/situation at 12 feet from a photo...

post #25 of 139 Old 05-27-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mits has stopped production...That just means better deals for the sets as well as the used market. I bought my 73" for $300 broken 3 years ago, got the part to repair off ebay for $100 so $400 and i have a sweet azz 73" 1080p DLP set that is closest to the theater pic quality than any LCD could ever hope. DLP has natural movement...not so much with LCD. Also, LCD HAS to be artificially bright which in a real world environment just doesn't cut the mustard...Jes sayin'. wink.gif

I understand your enthusiasm, but I just wouldn't buy something like a rear projection display second-hand, and we just weren't that impressed with the picture quality of the Mitsubishis when we saw them. Of course, they were probably not adjusted properly, but overall we just preferred the look of the LCD...

post #26 of 139 Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:

I understand your enthusiasm, but I just wouldn't buy something like a rear projection display second-hand, and we just weren't that impressed with the picture quality of the Mitsubishis when we saw them. Of course, they were probably not adjusted properly, but overall we just preferred the look of the LCD...
Most find the store 'torch' modes appealing until they get the sets home in their own environment. Not sure why you don't have a desire to buy second hand (well, sorta I do wink.gif ) and I do understand as not everyone is capable/able to diagnose and repair a TV. But many are intimidated by what they do not know. Again, I do understand. But a DLP is nothing more than modules. Just replace a module (some wire connectors, some screws) and VOILA! wink.gif

But as an example of the deals to be had at ridiculously inexpensive prices:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/3829508900.html

Matter of fact, I have been considering this set myself...and I don't need a TV! wink.gif
post #27 of 139 Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see you're on Club Polk, too; I have RTi12's as mains, a CSi30 center and a PSW350 sub...

I like your setup, though it's hard to get an idea of the viewing angle/situation at 12 feet from a photo...

"I'll check out your pics, thanks; so you're saying the 70 inch at 12 feet is "just comfortable"? You wouldn't call it "somewhat immersive"? This concerns me a little; would you think going up to a 75-inch or 80 would give the more "cinematically immersive" sensation?"

Good morning:

Upgrading from 65 inches to 70 was an incremental upgrade. More of a technology upgrade from a seven year old 65 inch DLP to a 3D LED television. If you've had a 50 inch rear projection television since 2006 or 2007, and upgrade to a 70 inch display, I think you will find it immersive for 2D prrogramming. On the other hand, for 3D programming, an 80 or 90 inch panel would be more enveloping as far as a cinematic experience goes. The best thing for you to do, is to go to a store that has the 80 and 70 inch panels you are interested in, sit 10 feet away from each, and evaluate them. That's what I did - I brought my WDTV Live Hub with some Steeler games and other content on it to the Magnolia store, plugged it in, and watched the 80 inch Sharp from about 8 feet away for 30 minutes, and that was very comfortable from that distance. The spouse was not comfortable with the price..mad.gif Bring some material that you are familiar with, and spend some time looking at these televisions. What do you watch when you watch TV? Sports? Movies? What is your main source of TV? If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have purchased the 80 inch set - but right now, I am enjoying the 70! Links:

http://live.wsj.com/video/are-tvs-growing-bigger-than-they-need-to-be/39983486-C93B-455E-B317-09B5101D075D.html#!39983486-C93B-455E-B317-09B5101D075D

post #28 of 139 Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Most find the store 'torch' modes appealing until they get the sets home in their own environment. Not sure why you don't have a desire to buy second hand (well, sorta I do wink.gif ) and I do understand as not everyone is capable/able to diagnose and repair a TV. But many are intimidated by what they do not know. Again, I do understand. But a DLP is nothing more than modules. Just replace a module (some wire connectors, some screws) and VOILA! wink.gif

But as an example of the deals to be had at ridiculously inexpensive prices:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/3829508900.html

Matter of fact, I have been considering this set myself...and I don't need a TV! wink.gif

I liked the DLP's 10 years ago but today they look dated, and with the thin LED's back light, the LCD's are getting that way to.
post #29 of 139 Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Looks "dated"? I'm sorry, I don't think I'm following you on this one...What is "dated" about DLP beyond the fact they cannot be hung on the wall???
post #30 of 139 Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Good morning

Hello...
Quote:
Upgrading from 65 inches to 70 was an incremental upgrade. More of a technology upgrade from a seven year old 65 inch DLP to a 3D LED television. If you've had a 50 inch rear projection television since 2006 or 2007, and upgrade to a 70 inch display, I think you will find it immersive for 2D prrogramming. On the other hand, for 3D programming, an 80 or 90 inch panel would be more enveloping as far as a cinematic experience goes.

I am DEFINITELY not interested in 3D, and we have been running a 50 inch RPTV since about '06 or '07, yes...

I'm not sure now if I should be looking for an 80-inch-plus panel...
Quote:
The best thing for you to do, is to go to a store that has the 80 and 70 inch panels you are interested in, sit 10 feet away from each, and evaluate them. That's what I did - I brought my WDTV Live Hub with some Steeler games and other content on it to the Magnolia store, plugged it in, and watched the 80 inch Sharp from about 8 feet away for 30 minutes, and that was very comfortable from that distance. The spouse was not comfortable with the price..mad.gif Bring some material that you are familiar with, and spend some time looking at these televisions. What do you watch when you watch TV? Sports? Movies? What is your main source of TV? If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have purchased the 80 inch set - but right now, I am enjoying the 70!

We're at 12 feet, not 10...will this make a difference?

You were comfortable at EIGHT FEET away from an 80? How am I even going to remotely be "engrossed" by a 70 inch at 12 feet, then?

My spouse is not comfortable with ANY of these prices, so I feel your pain...

Thanks...let me check these out...

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv , Vizio M Series 55 Inch Led Lcd Tv M550sl , Vizio M3d550sr 55 Inch 1080p Lcd Tv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page