Seiki SC552GS: No Option to Disable 120Hz? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-26-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I just picked up a Seiki SC552GS at H.H. Gregg this weekend and noticed there isn't a way to disable the 120hz "Auto Motion" interpolation feature. Unfortunately the set suffers from really bad "soap opera effect" and I was hoping that disabling the interpolation would alleviate the problem. The manual clearly shows there should be a menu option located under Picture Settings to disable the feature, however on my set it's not there! Seiki's website doesn't have any update firmware for SC552GS starting with my Serial Number (5510R).

Has anyone else encountered this before?

Link to the manual: http://www.seikidigital.com/Manuals/SC552GS_UM_TI11329.PDF

It also looks like not too many people have posted about this set on AVS (or on the Googleable internet...). I'll post my impressions and more pictures of the set after a few days of playing around. Initial thoughts are the set does have good color reproduction out of the box, and a lot of tweak-able settings from the Service Menu (enter '0000' while in the Menu). If I could just disable the 120Hz feature this set would be a great deal!

The "Auto motion 120Hz" option should be directly below "Blue Screen" according to the menu:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 02:07 AM

Liked: 11
Let me know a quick review. I saw this set the 55in for under 5 not bad, I watched the CNET review and he did not slam this set too bad was surprised. Looking forward to your views on it. smile.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 06-01-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I spoke to Seiki customer support about the issue on Tuesday. Over the past week all they could say is their tech's haven't had a chance review my case. Whomever I spoke to on the phone didn't seem to understand the issue with not being able to turn off Auto Motion either.

Suffice it to say, I ended up returning the TV earlier today. Here were my deal-breakers:
  1. Soap Opera Effect (SOE). As stated in my first post, there should be a way to disable the 120Hz Auto Motion feature according to the manual, however this option wasn't exposed on my TV. The SOE on this TV is particularly distracting and actually caused movies to appear jumpy on screen.
  2. Remote was unresponsive if I was on an input without a signal (i.e. if I'm on HDMI1 and nothing's plugged in, I was not able to use the remote to switch inputs). I had to use the buttons on the TV itself to make changes. Changing remote batteries did not resolve the issue either so it seemed like a software issue.
  3. Customer service is lacking. I was able to talk to someone on the phone after a ~15 minute wait however all they could do is open up a support ticket. I was told I would hear back from someone withing 24-48 hrs but I never did. Upon a follow-up call I was just told my case hadn't been reviewed yet and they would get to it next week. I emailed Seiki support as well and did receive a response, however even that was disappointing. They asked me to verify I had the right model set (551GS vs 552GS). I never received a response via email again.

What I liked:
  1. Price! Hard to beat a 55" screen for <$600 these days.
  2. Display quality: Bright and vibrant. Obviously not as good as a high-priced LED backlit model from a top brand, however again for the price it was much better than expected. Sorry I did not have a chance to take detailed measurements with a colorimiter.
  3. No noticeable input lag for videogames (played a good amount of Halo with my Xbox and didn't have any issues).
  4. The TV and stand looked and felt high-quality. The stand was surprisingly solid and sturdy. Much better than my Panasonic 50" plasma which feels very flimsy.

Now back to hunting for a bargain 55" TV!
post #4 of 5 Old 06-02-2013, 04:43 PM

I have the same problem and i called the number on the back of the manual and they told me it adjusts automatically to input resolution which is BS. he told me the manual is wrong that it dosnt have the option to turn it on or off. i tried to tell him input resolution dosnt have anything to do with frame refresh rate but he wouldnt listen. they were no help at all I'm going to ry to find a way to fix it for a couple more days and if I cant I'm just going to return the TV I can't stand the soap effect. if you found a resolution to this problem could you please post it. Thank you.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-03-2013, 04:09 PM

Anybody find a solution for this? The soap opera effect is insane!

The picture settings are awful. You really con't do much.

Couldn't beat the price of $430.00 at HH Gregg, but it might not have been worth it. Not only is the SOE very bad, but the picture "jumps" and "stutters" alot.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Seiki Sc 552gs Energy Star 55 Inch Diagonal Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 552gs by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page