Which LCD with Crestron System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have 5 LCD TV's to buy, various sizes. Have home theater room for primary consumption, other TV's 10% watching. Crestron automated system to control A/V. Wall speakers used for audio. So what LCD TV's would you recommend? I know I didn't give enough info, what additional info is required??

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
USN, CDR, RET
UDT/SEAL-EOD 1971-2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If you want the most reliable operation of your displays, may I suggest they be equipped with an RS232 serial control jack, which will enable two way communications between your control system and display, assuring things like "Power Off" really happen. IR control doesn't offer that. You won't find these on all displays.
My Crestron programmer tells me that the LG line uses a very friendly set of serial commands and Sony isn't too bad either. Sharp can be challenging to do direct channel number entry, if you are using the TV's tuner.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 5 Old 05-27-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your feedback. My issue is what elements to look for if your TV is only a upgraded monitor. If you use some type of smart home system then the TV's do not need all the bangs and whistles. So I'm looking/asking what features are required? These TV's will have a RG6 cable for DirectTV and a Cat6 cable for Crestron. Wall Speakers will be controlled through AVR and Crestron, I think??

Your recommendation is LG & Sony based on feedback from your Crestron programmer, correct??

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
USN, CDR, RET
UDT/SEAL-EOD 1971-2003
post #4 of 5 Old 05-28-2013, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
a serial control port isn't really a "bang and whistle", but a vital interface needed to make your Crestron system worth the investment. A network port WITH REMOTE CONTROL ABILITIES could be your other alternative if you had a second cat6 going back to the house network.. Every other feature besides that is a matter of taste.
If you haven't been TV shopping yet, you may be surprised to find that your idea of purchasing a simple "monitor" will be a challenge. Unless you are going to be happy with a display under 24", you are going to be looking at some very expensive commercial displays, one's that aren't going to have that super thin chassis that is so popular now days.
Seems odd that the outfit that is selling and installing your Crestron system isn't providing some input, since the amount of time and effort spent programming the system will be directly related to the hardware used and how it is connected to other devices.
Sony may be the only line offering a built in DirecTV tuner, for what that is worth, otherwise, not sure how you are getting HD video to your display using one RG6. (unless you have a QAM modulator, are using Crestron's DM video over twisted pair platform or some sort of pricey HDMI to coax balun)

underachiever extraordinaire
post #5 of 5 Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

My statement that the TV's were nothing more than monitors was my interpretation, not that I plan to buy monitors. I plan to buy 5 good LCD flat panel TV's that will be used throughout the house. These TV's will be attached to a Crestron system with DirecTV genie system and a DVD/BD player, all from a remote site in the basement. Wiring will be pull to support they requirements. My question is what features are more important on these TV's based on a Crestron system brain controlling them.
Quote:
a serial control port isn't really a "bang and whistle", but a vital interface needed to make your Crestron system worth the investment. A network port WITH REMOTE CONTROL ABILITIES could be your other alternative if you had a second cat6 going back to the house network.. Every other feature besides that is a matter of taste.

My terminology "bang and whistle" was poorly used, vice indicating their significance to the system. Serial control port is what I'm asking for, it has significance to the Crestron system control. You can pay more for a Sony vice a Vizio, but if the Vizio has the elements required, then I'll buy the Vizio based on price point and number required. If it was only then I'll buy the Sony.

Because I live in the Great Northwest, Smart Home installation installers are not falling off the trees. So I talked with the ONLY installer for the basic information (that's how I found out about Crestron) and I'm doing research now. I have a thread going on the Home Automation forum, soon the Home Theater Build forum, Projector and Screen Forum. This is a great site to learn with feedback for knowledgeable individual.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
USN, CDR, RET
UDT/SEAL-EOD 1971-2003
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page