Sony 4K 65 inch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are there enough users of the Sony XBR65H900A to start a thread? I just bought mine and it is terrific. I've paired it with a Sony S790 Blu-ray player that upscales from 1090, and it looks great. The stories of having to sit nose up to the screen to see the difference in resolution aren't quite correct. In fact, very source, even satellite TV looks fine, even from a distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Rob,
What did you have before this? I currently have a Pioneer Elite plasma and was debating the 55" Sony.

How is it with satellite? Is it much better than watching it on a "regular" high def set?
Ken
post #3 of 8 Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Ken,
My last set was the at-one-time great Sony KDSR70XBR2--a rear projection model that begin having trouble with its color engine very soon after purchase. There was a class-action suit brought against the company, who soon abandoned that technology. So, well might you ask why another Sony? First of all, I wanted to go with an LED, and second because I really wanted the latest technology. Blu-ray's with an upscaling Blu-ray player are fantastic. Satellite resolution is marginally better; but, as you know, the image from one cable transmission to another varies. I'd be interested in your impression of the Sony against the Pioneer.

Robert
post #4 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolk 
Are there enough users of the Sony XBR65H900A to start a thread? I just bought mine and it is terrific. I've paired it with a Sony S790 Blu-ray player that upscales from 1090, and it looks great. The stories of having to sit nose up to the screen to see the difference in resolution aren't quite correct. In fact, very source, even satellite TV looks fine, even from a distance.
XBR 65X900A.

4K XBR 55X900A/65X900A Owner thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473062/official-sony-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-x9-owners-thread/120
post #5 of 8 Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolk View Post

Agreed, you don't have to sit nose up to tell a difference but you have to sit closer than normal viewing distance. I spent quite a bit of time with the 84" Sony in Houston. It was a nice picture but at distances greater than 6 feet I was really hard pressed to tell it was any better than 1080P. In fact, if I hadn't gone to the Sony store specifically to see the new 4K technology, I would not have noticed anything unusual about new 4K set other than its size. Now of course when I got very close to the screen the difference was obvious. But at anything approaching normal viewing distance I could detect no difference. The first time I saw HD years ago, I was blown away. So I was somewhat disappointed by what I saw on 4K.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Saw the Sony 4k 65" first at Best Buy then at Frys Electronics. In Best Buy it looked good. In Frys it looked positively stunning (I think Frys must have a calibrated set). 4k brings a revolution in picture quality. The difference between, say a Kuro Elite Pro151FD, or a Sharp Elite 70" both of which I am very familiar with (and they are both awesome) and the Sony in 4k leads me to believe that this technology will be the major driver for the consumer electronics industry over the next 5 to 10 years much as the DVD was. I also believe that 4k software will become the standard within 2-3 years. The new Sony PS4 will be capable of playing 4k content.

Subjective Comparisons of picture quality are easy really, because there is no contest between HDTV and 4K.

Black Levels
The Kuro Elite and Sharp Elite are both superior to the Sony here, but the Sony is still very good

Color
Both Kuro and Sharp Elite are superb, but seeing the Sony in 4K at Frys.... well, the Sony takes the cake on this one. Rich, intense, vibrant, accurate and really breathtaking

Image in motion
For me, the Kuro has been the champ so far and the Sharp Elite - as good as it is - still is not quite as good as the Kuro. But after seeing the Sony in 4K mode. WOW. The perception of three dimensional objects and their relation to each other moving in space moves things up a few notches on the reality scale. A scene in the 4k demo demonstrates this to great effect. A flock of McCaw Parrots fill the screen as they fly and the feather detail which is incredible doesn't blur at all during the motion. This is much closer to the way my eyes perceive real life. So, the Sony (in 4K) wins out here,

Overall Resolution
Once again referring to the 4K demo loop at Frys (not Best Buy), during the still-life 'red' scene I was drawn to the grapes sitting inthe bowl at the rear of the table .The image of grapes was more breathtakingly real than I've ever seen from a TV monitor, such was the resolution of form and color.

Makes me think just how good 8K must be!
post #7 of 8 Old 08-13-2014, 03:38 PM

Liked: 0
Help with xbr55x850b and audio connection

Just got my xbr55x850b and am thrilled. Only hitch is my harmon kardin av system which, while awesome and at one time expensive, is old (10 years) and does not have an hdmi input. Optical, yes. So, it is connected via optical. So, is there a work around so I can control the harmin from the tv? Both power on/off and volume? I know this would be easy with an hdmi connection but that isn't in the cards. Would some sort of hdmi to oprical converter work? Thanks.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-13-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just got the XBR65x850b. I originally wanted the 900, but it was just out of my price range. The guy at best buy also reminded me of the fact that if the speakers on the side go out you're kind of screwed. I just thought they looked cool, but better on last years model. I have the 65 in my apartment and damn, the size of this thing is overkill, which is NOT a bad thing to me.It's massive and they picture quality is excellent. EA UFC on my ps4 looks breathtaking, so much better than my previous tv. It's like having an entire new console. Simulated 3D on Battlefield looked cool but Trine 2 has an actual 3d mode and it looked low res to me.
Mustangalley likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony 4k Xbr 84x900 , Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 84x900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page