Is this bad flashlighting/backlight bleeding? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-31-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently exchanged an LG 47LN5700 due to uneven backlight. There was one corner that was noticeably brighter, obvious in letterbox movies. I got the Vizio e500i-A1 instead. Both are direct lit but I'm coming from an edge lit Toshiba so not sure how the backlight is supposed to look.

In the cnet reviews/recommended settings, the backlight is set to 12. In some posts on here, someone suggested backlight set to 65. On some other sites I've read that backlight should not be set above 20-30% of maximum and I don't think it looks bad at 25. I've taken some pictures in a completely dark room with the backlight at 65, 45, and 25. I adjusted the settings using the Disney WOW disc and have standard for daytime viewing with backlight at 45 and movie mode for nighttime viewing with it at 12.

Is the backlight/flashlighting in this set bad or is this normal? How do you figure out what backlight should be set at? The Disney bluray does not have a setting for this. I do like the set and don't really want to go thru the hassle of exchanging another one if this is not that bad and risk getting one with other problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 647
I think it looks kind of normal for a lower end LED meaning that there is no local dimming in those models that would help with that. I do not think you will get that much better unless you move up in models that adds some dimming features. The best thing to do is lower the back light as low as you can go. The backlight level does not effect the actual picture quality and should not be confused with the brightness level that does.

At night I have my eco sensor on my Samsung set to 2 out of 20. There is no reason to go brighter then that in a totally dark room. It will also help with backlight issues and eye fatigue and strain.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. It does have "smart dimming" but the reviews said it was better with it off so I didn't even try it. It supposedly helps make black levels darker but loses detail. Do you use a different setting for daytime viewing?
post #4 of 4 Old 05-31-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele519 View Post

Thanks. It does have "smart dimming" but the reviews said it was better with it off so I didn't even try it. It supposedly helps make black levels darker but loses detail. Do you use a different setting for daytime viewing?
Same settings but have max brightness set to 9. You usually can't see the uniformity issues during the day unless you have the brightness at a crazy level.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 47ln5700 47 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv , Vizio E500i A1 50 Inch Led Smart Fhdtv
Gear in this thread - E500i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page