AVS Forum banner

Just bought the 2013 UN55FH6030

51K views 128 replies 35 participants last post by  talb911 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I just purchased this TV from Costco yesterday and am very happy with it. It was originally $999 but they had a manufacturer rebate so I paid $799. I didn't want a TV with all the smart stuff (I have a computer for that), but wanted 3d, I loved the bezel and stand (all black, no reflective silver). There were no 3d glasses included so I have to purchase them separately, will be getting them sometime today. I have watched a couple of movies, one Bluray and one standard dvd upconverted with my Sony 570 BR player and the picture quality is very good. Most of the tv channels are very good, I don't pay for high def. channels and the standard channels are okay, not great, but very watchable. So far, I am really liking this TV, especially for the price I paid.

See less See more
#27 ·
I was thinking about getting the UN46FH6030 at Best Buy because they have it on sale.

I have a UN46ES6150 edge lit model & the screen is quite, IMHO, unevenly lit. Usually it's not noticeable but sometimes it is. It's kind of disappointing to spend hundreds of dollars & have this problem, which I understand is not unusual.

Is it safe to presume everyone here is satisfied with the uniformity of the screen on their FH6030?

No significant ghosting, banding, or flashlighting?

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030#post_23460727

I was thinking about getting the UN46FH6030 at Best Buy because they have it on sale.

I have a UN46ES6150 edge lit model & the screen is quite, IMHO, unevenly lit. Usually it's not noticeable but sometimes it is. It's kind of disappointing to spend hundreds of dollars & have this problem, which I understand is not unusual.

Is it safe to presume everyone here is satisfied with the uniformity of the screen on their FH6030?

This is a direct lit TV so you will not have any of the light bleed. Mine has a little ghosting on dark scenes but that's it.

Direct lit is how ALL TVs should be IMO. Having to settle for light bleed and uniformity issues for thinness is unacceptable to me. Why they went edge lit I will never understand.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030#post_23460727

I ended up returning mine this weekend. I just couldn't get over the washed out picture and halos/color banding on dark scenes. So I'm trying to get the Panasonic TC-42S60, but can't find one,

Sears is out of them, and the Panasonic website doesn't have it available for delivery either. It's the only 1080P plasma out there that will fit in my bedroom hutch.

They did have one and I bought it but the screen was cracked, box showed signs of damage, opened it up at Sears and it appeared that the set was okay (didn't take the wrap off the screen) they did took it back with no problem. But I wasted a few hours on picking it up and returning it.

#30 ·
I bought the UN46FH6030 today & am returning it. It has noticeable dark banding on light images. I noticed banding on both dark & light images when looking at gray fields using the AVS709 disc. And it is also noticeable on light TV images. My wife also noticed it. It looks like a very spread out tic-tac-toe grid. A 3" dim/dark grid about 3" from all the edges.

The UN46ES6150 that I was going to return due to blotchiness & dark areas looks a lot better than the FH6030. The ES6150 appears to have more banding areas but they are less noticeable. The FH6030 bands stand out quite a bit more & it's already in the box ready to be returned. Maybe I just got a bad set, I don't know. But I'm ready to go back to my old Sony RP LCD set with a nice evenly lit matte screen.

#31 ·
I moved into my new place and was finally able to set up my UN55FH6030 from Costco that I purchased last month for $799 with manufacturer instant rebate.

My initial impression is that the picture is very good. Colors seem fairly accurate out of the box, but could still use some tweaking. The picture is vivid and I have not noticed any sort of light banding or clouding going on during light/dark scenes.

I did turn off Auto Motion Plus and LED motion since I do not like the soap opera effect. I also turned off the Eco Mode since I wasn't a fan of how it was dimming the picture.

Viewing angles seem good although it does produce a bit of glare if the room is very sunny (can be combated by turning the brightness up or by just shutting the blinds more).

The sound is a bit muffled. It's not the worst built-in TV speakers I've ever heard, but it's nothing impressive either. Dialogue can sometimes seem a bit too quiet. I'll likely add a surround sound system with receiver to resolve this and to add more HDMI inputs to the set.

All of my guests so far have commented on their own about how good the picture quality is (e.g., very clear, colors look great, etc.).

I'll post more feedback later this week once I've had a better opportunity to test it out and play with the settings.

Overall, I'm very happy with this TV so far.

#32 ·
Hi All, I still love my TV, I am having absolutely no problems with it and the picture quality is great on bluray movies, hd channels. Here are my main settings, I don't have HD programming except for a few that get downloaded with my cable channel downloads that are in 1080i.

PICTURE MODE: STANDARD

BACKLIGHT: 14

CONTRAST: 75

BRIGHTNESS: 55

SHARPNESS: 80

COLOR: 49

TINT: G50 R50

ADVANCED SETTINGS: All of these are off, color space is set to native, white balance 0, gamma:0, motion lighting: off

PICTURE OPTIONS:

COLOR TONE: WARM 1

EVERYTHING ELSE : OFF

ECO SENSOR: OFF

Please use these settings as a guide as everyone's TV is different, also there are different cable companies, etc. I never adjust my settings on a standard definition channel as each one of them are different. I adjust it to my 1080i channel (don't know the difference between this and 1080p) as I only have Comcast basic channels.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana girl  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030/30#post_23488594

Hi All, I still love my TV, I am having absolutely no problems with it and the picture quality is great on bluray movies, hd channels. Here are my main settings, I don't have HD programming except for a few that get downloaded with my cable channel downloads that are in 1080i.

PICTURE MODE: STANDARD

BACKLIGHT: 14
CONTRAST: 17

BRIGHTNESS: 55

SHARPNESS: 80

COLOR: 49

TINT: G50 R50

ADVANCED SETTINGS: All of these are off, color space is set to native, white balance 0, gamma:0, motion lighting: off

PICTURE OPTIONS:

COLOR TONE: WARM 1

EVERYTHING ELSE : OFF

ECO SENSOR: OFF

Please use these settings as a guide as everyone's TV is different, also there are different cable companies, etc. I never adjust my settings on a standard definition channel as each one of them are different. I adjust it to my 1080i channel (don't know the difference between this and 1080p) as I only have Comcast basic channels.

is the contrast really 17 or is that a typo? if it's 17 out of 100 that would be extremely low

also, brightness looks to be about 10 clicks or so too high and sharpness would be best in the single digits and not above 10... with a setting of 80 you will be getting way too much EE (thick white halos around edges)

everything else seems fine though; did you set color space to auto or native? (auto is better)

one more thing is you say white balance is zero, do you really mean the default midpoint setting of 25?

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030/30#post_23495415

is the contrast really 17 or is that a typo? if it's 17 out of 100 that would be extremely low

also, brightness looks to be about 10 clicks or so too high and sharpness would be best in the single digits and not above 10... with a setting of 80 you will be getting way too much EE (thick white halos around edges)

everything else seems fine though; did you set color space to auto or native? (auto is better)

one more thing is you say white balance is zero, do you really mean the default midpoint setting of 25?

I will have to recheck my contrast setting, then will report back with it. (I don't have internet at home). As far as the rest of the settings go, my TV is about as good as it gets so I don't want to change anything much as far as brightness or sharpness. I have no halos or anything else and am very happy with this settings. Everybody looks at TV's differently, TV's are different, cable companies are different. I've had at least 7 other people over to watch movies and they think the 3d movies are awesome on this. I've played around with the settings quite a bit and want to leave them as is. Color space is set to native, but I will try auto to see if it makes much of a difference. I haven't done anything with white balance or any of the color balances. Thanks

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer06ame  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030/30#post_23488503

I moved into my new place and was finally able to set up my UN55FH6030 from Costco that I purchased last month for $799 with manufacturer instant rebate.

My initial impression is that the picture is very good. Colors seem fairly accurate out of the box, but could still use some tweaking. The picture is vivid and I have not noticed any sort of light banding or clouding going on during light/dark scenes.

I did turn off Auto Motion Plus and LED motion since I do not like the soap opera effect. I also turned off the Eco Mode since I wasn't a fan of how it was dimming the picture.

Viewing angles seem good although it does produce a bit of glare if the room is very sunny (can be combated by turning the brightness up or by just shutting the blinds more).

The sound is a bit muffled. It's not the worst built-in TV speakers I've ever heard, but it's nothing impressive either. Dialogue can sometimes seem a bit too quiet. I'll likely add a surround sound system with receiver to resolve this and to add more HDMI inputs to the set.

All of my guests so far have commented on their own about how good the picture quality is (e.g., very clear, colors look great, etc.).

I'll post more feedback later this week once I've had a better opportunity to test it out and play with the settings.

Glad you're liking the new set. There shouldn't be any uniformity issues because I believe this set is a "Direct-Lit" LED. Like the EH6000, the LEDs are lined up behind the screen like CCFL Bulbs instead of along the edge. Do you have your picture setting on Dynamic, Standard, or Movie? I had the EH6000 briefly and was amazed at the sound. Looking at pictures of the FH6030, it looks exactly like the EH6000/EH6030. The reason the EH6000/EH6030 had a nice sound, IMO, was bigger speakers or more room for the speakers to breathe. Do you see any purplish tint to the picture? I returned the EH6000 due purple tint on blues and greys. Thanks.

#36 ·
Just bought the set from costco but had to pay 900 + tax. The manager did say if I can produce a receipt showing the $799 price, he will refund the difference. I will provide feedback in the next few days but before I open the box, I am really hoping someone here will share their costco receipt so I can save me the $100. Thank you.

#37 ·
Hi, I went home and have the contrast set at 75, I must have typed it in wrong, sorry about that. I changed the above setting to reflect that. I also reset my color space to "auto" instead of native, didn't see any difference but I I left it at auto. I watched a regular DVd movie last night, an old one from 1962 called "Cheyenne Autumn" and it was gorgeous. I couldn't believe it wasn't bluray, just a regular DVD. I did experiment with the brightness and sharpness settings, changing them to your advice, but didn't like it and went back to my original settings, which are very good on this TV. Anybody can experiment with the settings, feel free to try mine, it's easy to change back if you don't like it.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneonefive  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030/30#post_23501593

Just bought the set from costco but had to pay 900 + tax. The manager did say if I can produce a receipt showing the $799 price, he will refund the difference. I will provide feedback in the next few days but before I open the box, I am really hoping someone here will share their costco receipt so I can save me the $100. Thank you.

The $799.99 Costco offer was after $200 manufacturer instant rebate ($999.99 - $200 instant rebate = $799.99).

It technically wasn't $799.99, since tax was collected off of the original $999.99 price. The manufacturer typically gives the retailer a percentage of the MIR back, so I'm not sure if they'll actually want to price match it down to the $799.99. Always worth a try though

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030#post_23463384

I bought the UN46FH6030 today & am returning it. It has noticeable dark banding on light images. I noticed banding on both dark & light images when looking at gray fields using the AVS709 disc. And it is also noticeable on light TV images. My wife also noticed it. It looks like a very spread out tic-tac-toe grid. A 3" dim/dark grid about 3" from all the edges.

The UN46ES6150 that I was going to return due to blotchiness & dark areas looks a lot better than the FH6030. The ES6150 appears to have more banding areas but they are less noticeable. The FH6030 bands stand out quite a bit more & it's already in the box ready to be returned. Maybe I just got a bad set, I don't know. But I'm ready to go back to my old Sony RP LCD set with a nice evenly lit matte screen.

I'm about to return my 46" 6300 for screen uniformity issues also, wrong thread maybe, but please let me know what you arrive at.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana girl  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030/30#post_23503710

Hi, I went home and have the contrast set at 75, I must have typed it in wrong, sorry about that. I changed the above setting to reflect that. I also reset my color space to "auto" instead of native, didn't see any difference but I I left it at auto. I watched a regular DVd movie last night, an old one from 1962 called "Cheyenne Autumn" and it was gorgeous. I couldn't believe it wasn't bluray, just a regular DVD. I did experiment with the brightness and sharpness settings, changing them to your advice, but didn't like it and went back to my original settings, which are very good on this TV. Anybody can experiment with the settings, feel free to try mine, it's easy to change back if you don't like it.

that makes more sense; a contrast setting of 75 is about right (especially in standard mode which drives the internal contrast setting higher than movie mode)... in other words, a contrast setting of 75 in standard might be closer to a contrast setting of 80 or 85 in movie mode

the sharpness setting does seem awfully high though, regardless of source (I've tried settings of 50 and higher on my UN46EH6030, which is very similar and I can easily see the edge enhancement on things like text and geometric shapes)

on a side note, you mentioned the 3D was great on your TV... on mine and other owners of the UN46EH6030, most have mentioned the 3D was unusable since there is way too much crosstalk (double edges to images/double images)... do you see anything like that on yours?

the image above shows a rather extreme example so what I'm experiencing on my EH6030 is a bit milder (the double images are a bit closer to each other... not split that much apart)

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamesenick  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030/30#post_23509335

I'm about to return my 46" 6300 for screen uniformity issues also, wrong thread maybe, but please let me know what you arrive at.

the F6300 is edgelit (LEDs on edges of panel only) and the FH6030 is direct lit (LEDs in limited array behind LCD panel)... as such, the latter should be quite a bit better with regards to things like flashlighting and clouding (though banding might still be present, especially on Samsung S-PVA panels)

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer06ame  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030/30#post_23488503

Are you saying the FH6030 has Auto Motion Plus 120Hz? because my EH6030 only has LED Motion Plus

and do you have the U.S. model?

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030/30#post_23510533

Are you saying the FH6030 has Auto Motion Plus 120Hz? because my EH6030 only has LED Motion Plus

and do you have the U.S. model?

I'm almost positive it's labeled as Auto Motion Plus (this is in addition to the LED Motion option). I'll double check when I get home today to make sure and update this post.

Also, my UN55FH6030 is a US model with TH01 panel.

EDIT: Auto Motion Plus confirmed on UN55FH6030 U.S.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030/30#post_23510502

that makes more sense; a contrast setting of 75 is about right (especially in standard mode which drives the internal contrast setting higher than movie mode)... in other words, a contrast setting of 75 in standard might be closer to a contrast setting of 80 or 85 in movie mode

the sharpness setting does seem awfully high though, regardless of source (I've tried settings of 50 and higher on my UN46EH6030, which is very similar and I can easily see the edge enhancement on things like text and geometric shapes)

on a side note, you mentioned the 3D was great on your TV... on mine and other owners of the UN46EH6030, most have mentioned the 3D was unusable since there is way too much crosstalk (double edges to images/double images)... do you see anything like that on yours?

the image above shows a rather extreme example so what I'm experiencing on my EH6030 is a bit milder (the double images are a bit closer to each other... not split that much apart)

Doesn't AMP/Smooth Motion help ghosting? I know some TVs automatically have the AMP, or whatever other companies call their motion smoothing, activated in 3-D mode. Does the FH6030 not do this?

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030/30#post_23511885

Doesn't AMP/Smooth Motion help ghosting? I know some TVs automatically have the AMP, or whatever other companies call their motion smoothing, activated in 3-D mode. Does the FH6030 not do this?

mine is the EH6030 and doesn't have AMP... however, the FH6030 does

this means the two are not identical as I had previously thought and could also mean the FH6030 is better at 3D (though not necessarily due to AMP)

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer06ame  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030/30#post_23511299

I'm almost positive it's labeled as Auto Motion Plus (this is in addition to the LED Motion option). I'll double check when I get home today to make sure and update this post.

Also, my UN55FH6030 is a US model with TH01 panel.

EDIT: Auto Motion Plus confirmed on UN55FH6030 U.S.

thanks, I wonder if there are any other differences between the EH6030 and FH6030

#48 ·

Hi, when I played my first 3D movie, it looked awful for the first few minutes. There was crosstalk, ghosting, or whatever you want to call it. I thought, if this is what 3d is about, I don't want to watch it. I was getting ready to return my glasses when I noticed a 3d button in the settings on the remote. There was a button that went from (I'm not at home so I can't remember exactly what it says but something like right eye to left or left eye to right-hit one or the other button. I hit the other button from what I had it set to and everything fell into place. I couldn't believe that I almost returned everything. If you can't find it, I will write it down from home and bring it next time. I also moved the sharpness around a bit, down to approx. 70 but I didn't notice any noticeable difference, but I left it at 70. I am so happy I found this TV, I can't believe it's so good for this price. Everybody have a great day.

#50 ·
I just returned two TVs. I think I'm going to give up on high expectations for display uniformity and just cheap out on something that'll hold me over until 4K gets some content. I hope by then they'll have display uniformity nailed down.

buydig.com has the UN46FH6030 for $659 (only shows up in last stage of checkout) which Amazon will price match. Not too shabby. All of Best Buy's 46FH6030s were Samsung panels, think it's safe to order online?

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana girl  /t/1475452/just-bought-the-2013-un55fh6030/30#post_23523902

Hi, when I played my first 3D movie, it looked awful for the first few minutes. There was crosstalk, ghosting, or whatever you want to call it. I thought, if this is what 3d is about, I don't want to watch it. I was getting ready to return my glasses when I noticed a 3d button in the settings on the remote. There was a button that went from (I'm not at home so I can't remember exactly what it says but something like right eye to left or left eye to right-hit one or the other button. I hit the other button from what I had it set to and everything fell into place. I couldn't believe that I almost returned everything. If you can't find it, I will write it down from home and bring it next time. I also moved the sharpness around a bit, down to approx. 70 but I didn't notice any noticeable difference, but I left it at 70. I am so happy I found this TV, I can't believe it's so good for this price. Everybody have a great day.

thanks, will look into it but I think I've tried every combination of 3D settings to no avail, including what you mentioned... I will check again anyway since it would be nice to get some decent 3D out of my 3D TV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.