Sony KDL32W650A (2013 model) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 11-26-2013, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

These are my current settings for the ATSC Tuner, the only difference for the HDMI inputs is that I turn the Reality Creation off. They do change slightly for Video 1 to which I have a Laserdisc player attached to

Picture Mode: Cinema
Backlight: Min
contrast: 75
Brightness: 47
Color: 50
Tone: 0
Color temperature: Neutral
sharpness: 60
Noise Reduction: Off

MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Dot Noise Reduction: Off

Reality Creation: Manual
Video area Detection: Off
Resolution: 50
Noise Filtering: Min
Smooth gradation: Low
Cinemotion: Auto

Advanced Settings
Correction black: Off
Contrast Enhancement. Adv: Low
gamma: 0
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White balance: Default
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Mode LED Motion: Off

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 11-27-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

The command code is the same for all Sony HDTV's (at least for all U.S. models): DISPLAY ---> 5 ---> VOLUME DOWN ---> POWER

If you execute the command correctly (it's a bit tricky in that you must enter the four key presses in very rapid succession), the TV will power on showing the self-check display with error counts. At the bottom left side of the screen you will see three multi-digit numbers indicating the operating hours, boot count (number of times the set has been powered on) and panel hours. Remember that you must use the remote control to enter the command and the TV must be in the standby mode to begin.

To exit the self-check mode just power off the TV.

Thank you. Will the code be any different for the TV purchased in India, model is w670a and will the TV get screwed up if I make a mistake? The thing is the dealers tend to push off the display pieces as new ones at showrooms and I just wanted to make sure the model was new. I did purchase the TV today and am happy about it. 

post #33 of 50 Old 11-27-2013, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dippitaurus View Post

Thank you. Will the code be any different for the TV purchased in India, model is w670a and will the TV get screwed up if I make a mistake? The thing is the dealers tend to push off the display pieces as new ones at showrooms and I just wanted to make sure the model was new. I did purchase the TV today and am happy about it. 

I don't know whether the overseas models function differently, but the easiest way to find out is to try out the command yourself on your TV. Remember that the code is a bit tricky and it might take you a few tries to get the hang of it. You must press the four keys sequentially but very rapidly (no more than one second between presses).

The self-check mode is not interactive so you can't really screw anything up. The only things that can be altered on the diagnostic screen are the error counts, which can be reset to zero (after troubleshooting) and the operating hours, which can also be reset to zero (after replacing the panel).
post #34 of 50 Old 11-27-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippyman73 View Post

These are my current settings for the ATSC Tuner, the only difference for the HDMI inputs is that I turn the Reality Creation off. They do change slightly for Video 1 to which I have a Laserdisc player attached to

Picture Mode: Cinema
Backlight: Min
contrast: 75
Brightness: 47
Color: 50
Tone: 0
Color temperature: Neutral
sharpness: 60
Noise Reduction: Off

MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Dot Noise Reduction: Off

Reality Creation: Manual
Video area Detection: Off
Resolution: 50
Noise Filtering: Min
Smooth gradation: Low
Cinemotion: Auto

Advanced Settings
Correction black: Off
Contrast Enhancement. Adv: Low
gamma: 0
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White balance: Default
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Mode LED Motion: Off

this settings is for games? or movies?

post #35 of 50 Old 11-27-2013, 07:20 AM

The Sony has a 240 Hz effective refresh rate which means that you get a true 120 Hz refresh rate with interpolated frames inserted between each frame.
The Sony also has an analog stereo output using the head phone jack to connect to the HDTV. I purchased a 6ft 3.5mm PREMIUM 22AWG Mini-Stereo Male to 2 RCA Male Speaker Cable cable that had two RCA jacks at the stereo end and a headphone jack at the HDTV end from amazon.

A
post #36 of 50 Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrantovelez View Post

Anyone know help me set the W650 Sony Bravia 42 "to play and whether another setting for watching movies or TV?

I'm a little lost lol thanks for helping!

Here's a little friendly advice about calibrating your Sony HDTV for those new to the game:

1) There are three general default modes for picture settings: Standard, Custom, and Vivid. I suspect most users just select one of these (probably the retina-burning Vivid--also referred to as "torch mode"--which is basically designed to make the colors stand out under the typical retail store's florescent lighting) and leave it at that. However, despite the nomenclature, each of these settings can be customized to your liking. Unless you are a technophobe or just don't want to be bothered, I would encourage anyone to experiment with all of these settings to see what gives you the optimal result. These picture mode settings can be applied universally or only for specific inputs. And remember, if you decide you want to undo any changes you've made, it's as simple as selecting the "reset" button under "Picture Mode" in the Picture Adjustments menu to restore the factory defaults. (NOTE: According the the iManual, it appears that the W650a has 11 other picture modes besides the basic three; since I do not own this set I am unable to verify.)

2) In addition to the general picture settings, there are almost a dozen "scene" settings designed for specific types of video content (e.g., sports, photos, movies, games, etc.). You will find some very basic explanations and guidance in your Bravia iManual under "Selecting picture mode" and "Adjusting various picture settings" as well as "Selecting a picture and sound setting suitable for the content."

3) Virtually all picture calibration settings are entirely subjective. If it looks good to your eyes and it's your set, then that's probably the best setting for you. However, that's assuming that you've made an informed choice after researching various recommended settings, trying out the manufacturer's defaults, and, most important of all IMHO, verifying your settings with a good calibration disk. I have seen some highly recommended calibrations that actually wind up crushing detail when I have checked them out on calibration test slides. I personally like the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark and Calibration Blu-Ray Disc, but it can get rather technical. Another one a lot of people seem to like (I have not tried it myself) is the Disney Wow: World of Wonder, which is probably a little more accessible for the novice.

4) In addition to the subjective nature of these settings, what works best for you will depend in part on the level and source of ambient lighting in your viewing environment (which may vary depending on the time of day or other factors). Also, not all panels are identical and there may be small variations in the results obtained on different sets of the same model. So it's not such a good idea to copy someone else's settings carte blanche; rather, you should use any recommendations as a base point and then experiment, compare and tweak as needed.

5) Finally, it's not rocket science, folks. Find the best way to enjoy your set and have fun.
steve1971 likes this.
post #37 of 50 Old 12-03-2013, 06:10 AM

Mine will be delivered tonight. Around 5pm PST, I'll get some pictures up around that time if anyone cares.

post #38 of 50 Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineJetta View Post

Mine will be delivered tonight. Around 5pm PST, I'll get some pictures up around that time if anyone cares.
Nice choice. I've had mine about 2 months and really like it.
post #39 of 50 Old 12-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brkaway79 View Post

Nice choice. I've had mine about 2 months and really like it.

Mind posting pictures? Have any calibrations settings to share? I'm more concerned about black levels and input lag as I'll be using it for gaming and movies. IPS monitors and TN monitors ruin it all for me. Hopefully this VA panel will be better.

post #40 of 50 Old 12-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineJetta View Post

Mind posting pictures? Have any calibrations settings to share? I'm more concerned about black levels and input lag as I'll be using it for gaming and movies. IPS monitors and TN monitors ruin it all for me. Hopefully this VA panel will be better.

I'm at work but I think the main settings I use are...

Scene: General, Cinema, and Sports
Backlight: 2-3
Contrast: 87
Brightness: 50
Color: 45
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Neutral
Reality Creation: Auto
Noise Reduction: Low
Gamma: 0
All the other advanced settings: 0 or off

I don't game or have the tv hooked up to the internet yet so I can't comment on that. I have all sources running through a Yamaha 1020 receiver with no processing. Black levels seem good to me with good shadow detail. See the W6 thread on AV Forums for gaming and other opinions.
post #41 of 50 Old 01-11-2014, 05:18 PM

Guys, I can't find a setting that I found before on this TV. There was another setting for Black Levels. I don't remember the name of it exactly but if the Black levels are not deep enough, I could change it. It isn't the Black Corrector. What are all the various different methods of changing the blacks on the TV? Thanks.

post #42 of 50 Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 AM

Guys, I can't seem to be completely happy with the Screen Aspect Ratio Settings. What do you use for:

Setting Memory:

Wide Mode:

Auto Wide: 

4:3 Default:

Auto Display Area:

Display Area:

Screen Position: 

post #43 of 50 Old 01-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhunternyc View Post

Guys, I can't find a setting that I found before on this TV. There was another setting for Black Levels. I don't remember the name of it exactly but if the Black levels are not deep enough, I could change it. It isn't the Black Corrector. What are all the various different methods of changing the blacks on the TV? Thanks.

I'm not sure which setting you are referring to, but I wanted to remind you to first calibrate using a good test disk.  I strongly recommend the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-Ray.  If you are only using your visual acuity to fiddle with the picture settings, you are doing yourself an injustice.  You would be amazed at how much detail is being crushed by some of the calibration settings other users are touting on these forum threads.

Quote:

Guys, I can't seem to be completely happy with the Screen Aspect Ratio Settings. What do you use for:

Setting Memory:

Wide Mode:

Auto Wide: 

4:3 Default:

Auto Display Area:

Display Area:

Screen Position: 

Setting Memory:

Wide Mode:  Full

Auto Wide:   Off

4:3 Default:  ---

Auto Display Area:  Off

Display Area:  Full Pixel

Screen Position: ---

post #44 of 50 Old 01-20-2014, 09:44 AM

^^^ Thanks for the help. I will get the calibration blu ray disc once I get a blu ray player. The calibration disc looks very useful. Thanks. 

Dang... I just saw a Spears and Munsil interview about this calibration disc on YouTube and I think I'm in over my head with this. Can I use this disc without having to buy any additional equipment? 

post #45 of 50 Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^ Thanks for the help. I will get the calibration blu ray disc once I get a blu ray player. The calibration disc looks very useful. Thanks. 

Dang... I just saw a Spears and Munsil interview about this calibration disc on YouTube and I think I'm in over my head with this. Can I use this disc without having to buy any additional equipment? 

Absolutely--all you need is the BRP, your TV and a remote control.  I had had no prior experience with calibration before using the previous edition of this disk on my XBR's.

There are a number of very technical aspects to the calibration details, but any noob who can read and follow instructions should be able to use the basic functions to fine-tune an HD display.

You can pick one up on Amazon right now for under $30 shipped; I consider that a bargain (compared to the cost of a professional one-time calibration) that will pay dividends for years to come.  But note that there are other calibration disks out there as well.

post #46 of 50 Old 01-27-2014, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok. Can anyone confirm all of these Sony screens are built the same? It seems Samsung and other brands are completely random as to exactly what's in the hardware on these smaller screens (different panels, etc). I need something good for gaming. I'm debating whether to try this hold out for 2014 models. Also, is it true these don't work on VESA mounts? Kind of an issue, since it's secondary use would involve an Ergotron arm if I decided to get something else as my main screen later.
post #47 of 50 Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post

Ok. Can anyone confirm all of these Sony screens are built the same? It seems Samsung and other brands are completely random as to exactly what's in the hardware on these smaller screens (different panels, etc). I need something good for gaming. I'm debating whether to try this hold out for 2014 models. Also, is it true these don't work on VESA mounts? Kind of an issue, since it's secondary use would involve an Ergotron arm if I decided to get something else as my main screen later.

There are 4 versions of this model so it's possible that there is a different panel for it.

KDL-32W674A (Asia)
KDL-32W653A (Europe)
KDL-32W654A (Europe, Asia)
KDL-32W650A (North America)

I tried it for awhile and I'm returning it today. The picture was dull even with the backlight and contrast set high. Also blue color was too purple and I couldn't seem to fix this with any of the advanced settings. Maybe I was unlucky and got a bad one but I think it's just the panel.
post #48 of 50 Old 02-13-2014, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is a wonderful TV working as a PC monitor via HDMI.
I can attest to it.
Much better than the Samsung 32F6300 which I also tried for a week and finally gave up.
post #49 of 50 Old 04-21-2014, 09:09 AM

Had this TV for about 3 weeks. Had a waiting firmware update out of the box, and another one just popped up this AM.

Does Sony do release notes for updates?
post #50 of 50 Old 04-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmarkowitz View Post

Had this TV for about 3 weeks. Had a waiting firmware update out of the box, and another one just popped up this AM.

Does Sony do release notes for updates?

Yes, although they typically do not post until a few days following release.  Check the Sony Product Support website.  Here's the info on this FW update:

Release Date 4/09/2014 Version PKG4.401AAA File Size 156.11 MB

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG4.401AAA) provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version PKG4.201AAA:

• Improves performance and stability of the Internet features
  • Improves stability of the Screen Mirroring function

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG4.401AAA:

• Improves the login function for the Skype® online calling service
  • Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility (Applies to 4K models only)
    Supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit)
  • Improves stability of the sound output with a Blu-ray Disc™ player using an HDMI connection
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 32w650a 32 Class Full Hd Led Lcd Internet Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page