Sony KDL32W650A (2013 model) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 06-02-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone own this specific unit? I'm seriously thinking about buying it. Just not sure if the price tag of $650 warrants a purchase. Looks like a pretty mint set though. Any owners of this tv please I would appreciate your opinions and experiences with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 06-03-2013, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
no one here seems to care about this unit...as it's "low end" but head over to avforums...and there is a very good official thread about it....

the 32" is too expensive....however as for a little less you could get a 40/46" model samsung and 3d !!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 50 Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

It seems high end for a 32". I am only looking for a tv in that size. Not really interested in 3D. What I am looking for is the best picture for a 32" set. Most older Bravia's have that so I thought this model would be perfect.
post #4 of 50 Old 06-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch49 View Post

It seems high end for a 32". I am only looking for a tv in that size. Not really interested in 3D. What I am looking for is the best picture for a 32" set. Most older Bravia's have that so I thought this model would be perfect.

If PQ in a 32" screen is your prime criterion, then I think you should strongly consider this set. It has Sony's top-tier X-Reality PRO video processor in addition to the 120Hz native refresh rate. Earlier this year I purchased the XBR-55HX929, which also uses the X-Reality PRO and has a stunning picture.

I have owned the 32" KDL-32XBR4 for 5 years (Bravia Engine 3 processor) and am very pleased with it. I have been watching the W650a, hoping that Sony will come out with a 40- or 42-inch version. I haven't seen any other sets in this screen size that offer top-notch PQ and reliability IMO.
mooch49 likes this.
post #5 of 50 Old 06-06-2013, 04:09 PM

I purchased the kdl32W650A. I was waiting for the Vizio M321i. All the reviews said 120 Hz refresh rate. However when the stores started carrying it the spec said 120Hz effective refresh rate. So what you get is really a 60 Hz refresh rate with black screens inserted between each frame.

The Sony has a 240 Hz effective refresh rate which means that you get a true 120 Hz refresh rate (twice that of the Vizio) with interpolated frames inserted between each frame.

The Sony also has an analog stereo output using the head phone jack to connect to the HDTV. I purchased a 6ft 3.5mm PREMIUM 22AWG Mini-Stereo Male to 2 RCA Male Speaker Cable cable that had two RCA jacks at the stereo end and a headphone jack at the HDTV end from my CableMart.com

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2301

and hooked it up. It only has two HDMI inputs but that was all I needed. HDMI 1 is for the COMCAST RNG 110 cable box. HDMI 2 is for the Oppo DVD player.

This picture is spectacular. Sony has the best processors in the biz. You pay more but you get the best.

One place that was not an authorized Sony dealer advertized the TV for $544. I called an authorized Sony dealer and asked it to price match and it did. I purchased the set for $544 delivered to my front door. I don't want to get the authorized Sony dealer in trouble so I won't identify it.
post #6 of 50 Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and bit the bullet. So glad I did. The PQ is amazing, so lifelike even without any calibration. This 32" is packed with basically everything but 3D. The price is steep but worth every penny. One of, if not the best televisions I have ever owned.
post #7 of 50 Old 06-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Liked: 11
Can you adjust the motionflow settings on this tv? I didn't see any options in the online manual.
post #8 of 50 Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 PM

Very interested in this TV. Thanks for all the comments.
Can anyone comment on what the off-center viewing angle is like?
The TV will be off to my side, in an office, and I am curious as to how the picture holds up as the viewing angle increases.
Does it get washed out quickly, or does it hold up when moving off-center?

Thanks in advance.
post #9 of 50 Old 06-09-2013, 05:22 AM

Hey!

I'm intrested in that model, but I can't find any reviews. I hope you can help me.
I'd like to use it with a PS3. Can you tell me whether it's a good choise for this or not?
Thanks!
post #10 of 50 Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erahurka View Post

Hey!

I'm intrested in that model, but I can't find any reviews. I hope you can help me.
I'd like to use it with a PS3. Can you tell me whether it's a good choise for this or not?
Thanks!

The PS3 looks awesome on this tv. It supports deep color as well. Also of note, this set plays mkv files flawlessly.
post #11 of 50 Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch49 View Post

The PS3 looks awesome on this tv. It supports deep color as well. Also of note, this set plays mkv files flawlessly.

And what about Gaming? Is it's input lag capable?
post #12 of 50 Old 06-09-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erahurka View Post

And what about Gaming? Is it's input lag capable?

I don't measure that stuff, but from the games I have played so far (Metro, The Show) I didn't see anything noticeable. Granted I am playing on game mode, but the great thing about all the modes of this tv is that you can customize pretty much every setting to your liking.
post #13 of 50 Old 06-09-2013, 09:59 AM

High input lag is very frustrating, so if you haven't noticed anything bad about gaming, it should be OK.
post #14 of 50 Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 AM

Hello all!
I'm new here also not native English speaker, just wanted to state that at the beginning smile.gif

I bought this TV 3 weak's ago its wonderful the PQ is just awesome. I mainly use it with my laptop for games and movies and stuff. I can notice the difference between a normal LCD monitor and this tv but its not bad, if someone worrying about the input lag i think its ok, even for games.

The built in apps are kinda useless in europe (we dont have hulu and netflix), but youtube app is awesome.

Now the bad: *.mkv files yes it plays them most of the times. But there is a few time when it wont work, and when it happen the TV freeze and the only thing i can do is unplug it from the power.
Its like when i start to browse the folder (on the usb-hdd) where the movie is and i enter the folder and the TV starts to generate the little thumbnail images aaand it stops and i cant do nothing...

I tried to: defrag the usb-hdd, check for errors on the hdd, narrow the problem to specific mkv tipes, search the internet... no results

Is this something maybe someone here experienced?
Is the new firmware updates has a change log somewhere? ( i tried to find it no luck)
post #15 of 50 Old 07-02-2013, 11:04 AM

does it play MKV files with DTS audio?
post #16 of 50 Old 07-02-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vril View Post

does it play MKV files with DTS audio?

yupp

and my problem is also fixed after yesturdays update all mkv files are playing without problem even the ones that ar not worked before
post #17 of 50 Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Hello,
Does anybody have tested the clouding of this serie of Sony's tvs?
This problem still there or not?
It's for use with a ps3 to watch movies and play games...
Thanks to all...wink.gif
post #18 of 50 Old 07-07-2013, 09:59 PM

ok: will provide some answers as you guys seem to not know that AVFORUMS exists...and has an offcial thread with all INFO on this TV and many experiences:

1- this TV has a 42" in many countries...
2- it has already been proven a long time ago that it has very low lag
3- it has been proven long ago that the 240hz is only with backlight blinking....activating Motion LED....but it is useless: picture flickers and darkens wayyyy too much !!!
4- already said many many time on the other forum that this TV does NOT HAVE motionflow settings !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes it is a first for a 120hz sony...but that's the way it is....
5- since 42" is big...some owners have said that the blur is visible and took back the tv...because of it....on 32" you will not see it i suppose....

hope this helps...for all info head to the other forum
post #19 of 50 Old 07-07-2013, 11:56 PM

thanks nenito2k but where is this head forum please? I don't find it...
post #20 of 50 Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 AM

yes...you sure did not look into it carefully....as just typing W6 in search would have resulted in something....rolleyes.gif

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1776014-sony-w6-owners-thread.html
post #21 of 50 Old 09-25-2013, 06:21 PM

I just bought a sony kdl32w650a, and I like it.  I know this is a goofy question, but I was wondering how to get the picture to display a full screen without letter boxing, and still be able to see the channel number when I change stations? Any other setting recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm an hdtv novice. Thank you.

post #22 of 50 Old 11-26-2013, 06:26 AM

I just placed an order for this tv. Upgrading from a 32LM6200 that broke, which also had horrible ips glow with bad black levels because of it. It was a pain watching movies. Had noticeable input lag as well even on game mode.

I decided to go with this one since I had a sony tv previously which I very much loved. 40HX800 which I'm hoping will be somewhat similar with colors and black levels with this.

Does the Optical Out provide 5.1 surround sound to an AVR? I ask because my LM6200 did not seem to. Everything output 2.1 stereo, either through Optical or ARC. Netflix app, verizon app and some others. I'll be using this mainly as a computer monitor, for a PS4, and for movies. It will be here Tuesday and I'll post some photos of the tv. 

post #23 of 50 Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineJetta View Post

I just placed an order for this tv. Upgrading from a 32LM6200 that broke, which also had horrible ips glow with bad black levels because of it. It was a pain watching movies. Had noticeable input lag as well even on game mode.

I decided to go with this one since I had a sony tv previously which I very much loved. 40HX800 which I'm hoping will be somewhat similar with colors and black levels with this.

Does the Optical Out provide 5.1 surround sound to an AVR? I ask because my LM6200 did not seem to. Everything output 2.1 stereo, either through Optical or ARC. Netflix app, verizon app and some others. I'll be using this mainly as a computer monitor, for a PS4, and for movies. It will be here Tuesday and I'll post some photos of the tv. 

Yes, it does. Quoting from your model's Bravia iManual section on speaker selection:

Notes

To use multi-channel audio, connect to an external audio system compatible with Dolby Digital using an optical cable, and select [Audio System].
[Audio System] must be selected to listen to 5.1 multi-channel audio.
AlpineJetta likes this.
post #24 of 50 Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

Yes, it does. Quoting from your model's Bravia iManual section on speaker selection:

Notes

To use multi-channel audio, connect to an external audio system compatible with Dolby Digital using an optical cable, and select [Audio System].

Thank you.

post #25 of 50 Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

Yes, it does. Quoting from your model's

Notes

Awesome. Thank You.

post #26 of 50 Old 11-26-2013, 12:55 PM

The BestBuy in a few cities over have one on display, and in stock. I'm going there later today or tomorrow to take a look at it. I should have done this beforehand in case I don't like it but only found out now. I'll take a few photos as well, but with all the lighting in the building, I doubt it will be good. I think it may be in the magnolia section where it's dark. I doubt that though since it's a 32" and nobody cares about 32"

:)

post #27 of 50 Old 11-26-2013, 01:25 PM

Can anyone of you tell me how to check the Usage Hours for this model?

post #28 of 50 Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippitaurus View Post

$7 a year if I'm understanding you correctly.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71pj%2BeEnUVL._SL1500_.jpg

post #29 of 50 Old 11-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippitaurus View Post

The command code is the same for all Sony HDTV's (at least for all U.S. models): DISPLAY ---> 5 ---> VOLUME DOWN ---> POWER

If you execute the command correctly (it's a bit tricky in that you must enter the four key presses in very rapid succession), the TV will power on showing the self-check display with error counts. At the bottom left side of the screen you will see three multi-digit numbers indicating the operating hours, boot count (number of times the set has been powered on) and panel hours. Remember that you must use the remote control to enter the command and the TV must be in the standby mode to begin.

To exit the self-check mode just power off the TV.
post #30 of 50 Old 11-26-2013, 03:57 PM

(TO PLAY A CONSOLE)
Hello,

Anyone know help me set the W650 Sony Bravia 42 "to play and whether another setting for watching movies or TV?

Picture Mode:
Backlight:
contrast:
Brightness:
Color:
Tone:
Color temperature:
sharpness:
Noise Reduction:
MPEG Noise Reduction:
Reduct points:
Realistic recreation:
Smooth gradation:
Movie Mode:

Advanced Settings:
Correction black:
Contrast Enhancement. Adv:
gamma:
Auto Light Limiter:
White Clarity:
Live Color:
White balance:
Optimizer Details:
Optimizer profile
Mode LED Motion:

also active when the LED Motion Mode darker looks like that's normal? I have to have it activated for gaming, watching movies or football on TV?.

To watch movies on blu ray or tv need another configuration.

I'm a little lost lol thanks for helping!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 32w650a 32 Class Full Hd Led Lcd Internet Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page