Need some help please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello, I just joined today. I just bought a tv off Amazon last week for the bedroom. I am getting ready to purchase another for the family room and haven't decided on which brand or what kind. I have a few but I will start another thread about that.

The tv I need help with is model # UN37EH5000. I went online and used some "recommended" settings. I will post those below. The issue I have, if it's really an issue I'm not sure, but I notice a white cloud or splotch in the center of the tv during dark scenes. If the tv show being watched goes to commercial, you know how there is that 1 or 2 second dead spot where the screen goes black? You can see it there and you can see it when powering off and there is that 2 second delay before it actually powers off.

Is this normal? I called Samsung CS this morning and explained the issue exactly like I did here. The lady said this IS normal. She stated that I should have the picture set on Standard or Movie and the backlight around 7. She said that the spot is normal and that it will go away within 1-2 weeks. She gave me a reference # in case it does not and said to call back.

I have DirecTV connected by HDMI. What do you all think?

Here are the settings that I am using. Since using these settings it's not half as bad but it's still there.

Mode: Standard
Backlight: 10 (this can be increased for darker rooms)
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 44
Sharpness: 5
Color: 55
Tint (G/R): 49/51

Advanced Settings:
Color Space: Native
White Balance: 25, 25, 25, 0, 30, 30
Gamma: -1
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
Motion Lighting: Off

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm 2
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter: Auto
HDMI Black Level: (greyed out)
Film Mode: Off (greyed out)
LED Motion Plus: On
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-03-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Doesn't sound normal to me. Sounds similar to "flashlighting". Basically the backlight behind the LCD itself is too bright at one point, the center for you, thus causing the light to almost bleed through the panel.

The advice I can give you is, if you notice it now after you just bought it, you will always notice it, and it will become more annoying. Your best bet is to return/exchange it now while you are still in your return period. I can't say if getting another one of that same model will fix it, perhaps that size/model was just designed poorly.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

Doesn't sound normal to me. Sounds similar to "flashlighting". Basically the backlight behind the LCD itself is too bright at one point, the center for you, thus causing the light to almost bleed through the panel.

The advice I can give you is, if you notice it now after you just bought it, you will always notice it, and it will become more annoying. Your best bet is to return/exchange it now while you are still in your return period. I can't say if getting another one of that same model will fix it, perhaps that size/model was just designed poorly.

Yeah maybe you're right. Since I got it off of Amazon I should probably call them too and see what they say. The Samsung rep saying it was totally normal sounded very sure of herself though.
post #4 of 17 Old 06-03-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

ok, well anyone else?

While waiting for more responses from this forum I called Amazon tech support for the TV. The guy I spoke to said what I explained is absoloutely normal for the LED technology. I have a 30 day return period where they will take it back. I explained that I am looking at buying a larger LED tv for the family room approx. $1500-2200 and asked was it just the model I had. Again, he said all LED's do this.

So can anyone else help me out that is more educated than the Samsung Customer service rep and the Amazon rep I spoke to? Samsung rep said it's normal and would go away in 2 weeks. Amazon rep said it's normal but didn't mention it going away.

I want to get this figured out sooner than later.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-04-2013, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Is this forum alive? Come on, aren't there any more people who can help me?
post #6 of 17 Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The guy I spoke to said what I explained is absoloutely normal for the LED technology.

Not entirely true. Yes, led's will do this to some degree. But again, if it's noticeable to you, then it's too much.
Quote:
Samsung rep said it's normal and would go away in 2 weeks.

Well, you can always try to wait the 2 weeks and see. You will still be able to return it after that. In my opinion, I would at least exchange it for the same model, hopefully you will get one that doesn't do it as bad.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

Not entirely true. Yes, led's will do this to some degree. But again, if it's noticeable to you, then it's too much.
Well, you can always try to wait the 2 weeks and see. You will still be able to return it after that. In my opinion, I would at least exchange it for the same model, hopefully you will get one that doesn't do it as bad.
Yeah that is true maybe I will call Amazon and have them send me that return shipping label and try a different one out. Cant hurt right?
post #8 of 17 Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Just exchange it. Why deal with all the other headaches.

Do you have a picture to show? It is normal to get flashlighting but if it is happening when the screen goes to pure black and like it is powered off you should not see any clouding or flashlighting. I know the better Samsungs totally black out the screen if nothing is on it. Is this how these model works as well?

Some pictures would help with opinions though although I would have sent it back already if it bothers you.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Just exchange it. Why deal with all the other headaches.

Do you have a picture to show? It is normal to get flashlighting but if it is happening when the screen goes to pure black and like it is powered off you should not see any clouding or flashlighting. I know the better Samsungs totally black out the screen if nothing is on it. Is this how these model works as well?

Some pictures would help with opinions though although I would have sent it back already if it bothers you.

Thanks for posting, I really want to get this straight.I will take some pictures later when I get home and post them tomorrow or tonight if I have time. I will do it tomorrow for sure. Just keep an eye on this thread so I can read your opinion.

Also, I think you're right, I should just exchange it. If the new one does it too, I'll assume it's just how this particular model operates.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

So maybe I'll just say goodbye to the LCD and get a plasma. That's what I've been used to since 2006.

Any recommendations on a 37" plasma? Do they come in that size? If not, what's a good one for around $400 for the bedroom?
post #11 of 17 Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Seems like maybe the smallest plasma you can get is 42 inches is that correct?
post #12 of 17 Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Liked: 14
^
42" is the smallest plasma I have seen. For your other issue, I would seriously look into the advice from 'sitlet' & either return or exchange it.

Steve
post #13 of 17 Old 06-08-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update; I'm keeping the tv. I've left it on for 5 days for about 16 hours a day. U adjust the settings a little bit more and the thing looks great. I don't see the white spot in the middle anymore. Backlight is set on 10 too.

Paused a tv commercial that had a black frame in it and it looks like the tv is off.

Can anyone explain what happened? Not sure if leaving it on had anything to do with it, but it looks a lot better.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

I guess maybe it was just adjusting the settings, guess I'll never know. Oh well at least it looks good and I didn't have to go through the hassle of returning or getting another one.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well just an update, that white mark was really getting on my nerves anytime I was watching a show with a dark scene there it was front and center. It is already packed up and on its way back to Amazon.

In its place I chose the 39 inch Vizio E390-A1. Don't anybody crack on me too hard. This is just a bedroom TV and I suppose it cannot be any worse than that Samsung I just returned. It's 2 inches bigger and $30 cheaper.

I guess once it arrives here hopefully within the next day I'll get it put up and post my thoughts on it.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I got the Vizio delivered a few hours ago and I have it up on the wall and on...........WOW!! This things is many many times better than the Samsung in my opinion. I toyed and toyed and toyed with the Samsung settings. I took the Vizio out of the box, made some MINOR adjustments and I am so happy with it. Totally noticeable difference between it and the Samsung and by a very big difference.

Glad I didn't procrastinate too long and returned that Samsung. I ALMOST was going to settle and just keep it. Someone in this forum or another said since I knew that white spot was there I was always going to be thinking about it, glad I listened.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to hear. I'm a big fan of Vizio. Bought a 47" LCD about 7 years ago, it was my main tv for a while until I got a 55" Sony. It's now in my bedroom, and still working perfectly. And like you said, picture adjustments are very minor, just a few clicks on a couple of settings. I am constantly toying with my Sony to get it to look right depending on what I'm watching.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 37 Inch Led Hdtv Un37eh5000
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page