Vizio m651d-a2r - New 65 Inch M series model - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 06-03-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Interested in getting it for Directv, computing, and 3d viewing from a 3D Blu-ray player. I do like to watch programing with the lights on, but I can keep the room dark. I'm reading it has a gloss screen and a 8 ms response time. I'm trying to follow the general generic board for the whole M-series, but the focus there seems to be mainly on the 50 and 55 inch sets, and just about all reviews are on these sets. I currently have a 55 inch Panasonic plasma with a great picture(55ST50). I love it, but would like the larger screen. Any help regarding this new Vizio model would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-05-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Received the VIZIO M651d-A2R 55 minutes ago, and I am impressed. Plugged my HDMI out from my Denon 2313 receiver into the HDMI one and put on Directv.. Picture looks awesome. Only notice the glossy screen when it is a all black background and they are playing the credits. Has more pop to me then my Panasonic plasma, but that can be because it is 10 inches bigger. I did not play with any of the tv's features yet!
post #3 of 33 Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM

Liked: 37
post #4 of 33 Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't see anything of help reading the main thread the last four days. That is why I made my own post, and answered it. The only one who helped me was myself(me, myself, and I). I set up the wifi quickly. The directv 3d channel poped right on. I saw that a nice number of people looked at my original posting therefore I decided to give them my limited insight of my first impressions.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Just watched on Directv ESPN 3D some of the Michgan v. Iowa 3D football. When I changed to the channel it showed it in 3D, and asked if I wanted to watch in 3D. I hit the "YES" prompt, and it looked awesome. I enjoyed using the passive 3D glasses. I was watching slightly to my right, but not 100% dead center.
As far as the glossy screen in darker scenes you will see reflection with light coming in, but the picture is still enjoyable. My greatest compliment so far is that the picture looks plasma like.
post #6 of 33 Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

I also watched some Directv 3Net programing. In particular the Safari show in 3D. Watching it with the passive 3D glasses was spectacular. This blows away the 3d from my Panasonic 55ST50. Simple passive 3D glasses that you don't have to charge or turn on, and they are more comfortable!
post #7 of 33 Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Remote briefly froze for about ten minutes tonight. It is functioning fine now. I seem to have the latest software. I briefly tried the picture calibrated and calibrated dark, however, I still like it watching in standard mode. Briefly watched the 2 directv 3d channels again, and it looks awesome in 3d. Very happy with the tv. Prior to buying I was thinking really hard about buying either the panasonic 65ST60 or 65VT60, because of the great reviews from CNET. I decided against the ST, because the 3D on the review was not good, and as far as the VT I was not willing to spend over $3K. When I saw the great price for this model I plunged in. At first I was apprehensive with what I was reading on the main Vizio board with the glossy screen issue, and the 8ms response. Plus that just about all postings were regarding the 50 or 55 inch models. I was thinking about canceling the order, but the more I thought about it my Panasonic plasmas have reflection issues, and the few reviews that I did find on point did not have any response issues. One thing I realized over the years in this forum is that the techies sometimes really go overboard in their analysis of things. They look for all of the doted i's and crossed t's. Glad I didn't!
post #8 of 33 Old 06-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
It sounds like your satisfied with your choice.

I bought the 2012 65inch M3D651 model. I think it has the same glossy screen as this 2013 model. And I've been quite satisfied with it. I was concerned about how reflective it would be, but it hasn't been an issue for me yet and I've had it for 6 months now.

Rick
post #9 of 33 Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am very happy with the set.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-09-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Watched some of "wreck it ralph" in 3D on my Sony Blu-ray player, and it was awesome!. Active 3D is garbage versus the passive version on this set!
post #11 of 33 Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil68 View Post

Watched some of "wreck it ralph" in 3D on my Sony Blu-ray player, and it was awesome!. Active 3D is garbage versus the passive version on this set!
I think the passive is great. Just curious, what active set are you comparing it to? What are the differences?
post #12 of 33 Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Panasonic 55ST50. To me the 3D images are more pronounced and vivid. I'll be honest it can also be the size differential of the screen. Plus ease of use you just put the glasses on period, and they are more comfortable and lighter.
post #13 of 33 Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Had the set for one week now, and I am truly enjoying it. I see the techies in the main Vizio section are coming up with a different negatives every other minute. When you read their different posting it seems that they are never happy. One laments that he can never find a good set. I will never deny that I am always on the quest for great bang for the buck, but I do appreciate my prior acquisitions. The bottom line in hitech there is always something better coming out. I long ago gave up trying to play with the picture settings every other minute. It is distracting, and you only drive your self crazy. There is always somebody coming out with the perfect settings. If it looks good to you enjoy it, and stop worrying that the next person has better settings.
post #14 of 33 Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
My M551D SUCKS........ biggrin.gif JUST JOKING

I'm probably one that you referenced. I had a Vizio M3D550KDE that I returned a few weeks ago, had a great slow picture & 3D but the fast motion like when watching ice hockey was dreadful, one blur after another, then the next set was a Vizio E551D which had better fast motion and a great picture BUT the 3D was bad, like when watching Men in Black 3 in 3D the edges of their suits had noticeably jagged edges and not very good. The M551D-A2 that I just got is good, 240Hz so hockey is good, 3D is great, very happy finally. Enjoy your TV's
post #15 of 33 Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Should I trade my m3d651 for the new m651d? How much Light bleed do u see?
post #16 of 33 Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

I really do not know your tv. I looked at the CNET review, and black seems to be a major issue on your set. I enjoy the black background on this set. I have not noticed any issues on this set that disturb me, and make me regret that I purchased it. If you can exchange your set without monetary loss then I would 100% state go for it otherwise go see and compare for yourself. 3D seems to be a strength of your set, and therefore might not be a additional reason to upgrade. I try not to over think things one my purchase is complete, and go crazy in playing around with settings unless necessary. I saw on the main Vizio posting board that they are finding issues left and right regarding this set. On my set I have not seen any pronounced issues. I enjoy the set especially the 3D. Great bang for the buck!
post #17 of 33 Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 PM

So do I you think I messed up by sending old unit back I already ordered new one?
post #18 of 33 Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

I think the new set is a great set. I just do not know how much better it is then your old set except that your black / dark scenes should be better from what I've read of the CNET review of your set. Did you make a wrong decision probably not, but I can not give you a definitive answer because I have zero personal knowledge of your set.
post #19 of 33 Old 06-22-2013, 03:29 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil68 View Post

I think the new set is a great set. I just do not know how much better it is then your old set except that your black / dark scenes should be better from what I've read of the CNET review of your set. Did you make a wrong decision probably not, but I can not give you a definitive answer because I have zero personal knowledge of your set.

I wonder if anyone did make the switch... My Bro is looking for a good set and if the new M is much better i may make the move and sell it to him. yet i really dont want to bother if the differences are just outer shell cosmetics. Perhaps there are some that know if there are any.
post #20 of 33 Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 PM

Liked: 43
I currently have the 65 and 70 inch M series in my possession. I initially bought the 65". The box was really beat up when I got it (bought from Amazon, delivered via Pilot). It was crushed, smashed and had a few holes in it. I won't be buying a TV from Amazon again frown.gif Anyway, after adjusting it (via Dr. Shankenteins settings he posted) I was in love with the picture, at first. After watching a few Blurays I noticed some dark vertical bands in the picture that were evident in some light scenes (blue sky, sand). I think that they may be due to damage in shipping. The 3D looks great (minus the resolution hit vs non 3D). I determined that I couldn't live with the vertical bands and ordered the 70" M from Costco. It showed up 3 days before the estimated delivery date. The shipping box was in very good condition. My initial impression was very good. The dark bands of the 65" aren't an issue with the 70". The 70" is better with room light sources (the 65" is a mirror). The 3D on the 70 isn't quite as good as the 65. The 70 has a touch of ghosting in some scenes. The 65 seems much more forgiving of viewing angle in regards to 3D. The 70 also has a glitch that inverts the 3d in some YouTube videos so that I have to wear the glasses upside down. Tech support from Vizio had me reset a bunch of stuff (hassle) to no effect. Then they told me to contact YouTube. I told the tech that it seemed like an issue for the Vizio engineers to bring up with YouTube and was blown off. I'm very happy with the 70, but would have been almost as happy had the 65 not had the vertical banding defect.
post #21 of 33 Old 06-23-2013, 12:06 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

I currently have the 65 and 70 inch M series in my possession. I initially bought the 65". The box was really beat up when I got it (bought from Amazon, delivered via Pilot). It was crushed, smashed and had a few holes in it. I won't be buying a TV from Amazon again frown.gif Anyway, after adjusting it (via Dr. Shankenteins settings he posted) I was in love with the picture, at first. After watching a few Blurays I noticed some dark vertical bands in the picture that were evident in some light scenes (blue sky, sand). I think that they may be due to damage in shipping. The 3D looks great (minus the resolution hit vs non 3D). I determined that I couldn't live with the vertical bands and ordered the 70" M from Costco. It showed up 3 days before the estimated delivery date. The shipping box was in very good condition. My initial impression was very good. The dark bands of the 65" aren't an issue with the 70". The 70" is better with room light sources (the 65" is a mirror). The 3D on the 70 isn't quite as good as the 65. The 70 has a touch of ghosting in some scenes. The 65 seems much more forgiving of viewing angle in regards to 3D. The 70 also has a glitch that inverts the 3d in some YouTube videos so that I have to wear the glasses upside down. Tech support from Vizio had me reset a bunch of stuff (hassle) to no effect. Then they told me to contact YouTube. I told the tech that it seemed like an issue for the Vizio engineers to bring up with YouTube and was blown off. I'm very happy with the 70, but would have been almost as happy had the 65 not had the vertical banding defect.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't seen any banding on mine, so perhaps it was just a defect. Either way the 70" sounds sweet. I almost wish i waited for the 70", yet I had the money then and made the plunge. I wonder if we will get the new plus app setup the New M's have. Anyways thanks Bubble for your comment, hopefully keeping the older M is the right move and I dont end up regretting it.
post #22 of 33 Old 06-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post

Thanks for your reply. I haven't seen any banding on mine, so perhaps it was just a defect. Either way the 70" sounds sweet. I almost wish i waited for the 70", yet I had the money then and made the plunge. I wonder if we will get the new plus app setup the New M's have. Anyways thanks Bubble for your comment, hopefully keeping the older M is the right move and I dont end up regretting it.

I also have the 2012 M series 65inch (M3D651SV). I've been following the threads on the 2013 models and I'm still quiet satisfied with my 2012 model. From what I've read so far, there is a fair bit of variation within the same model due to shipping perhaps. But I look at mine and have minimal light bleed (so minimal that it rarely noticeable to me and when it is, I can turn on the smart dimming and it's gone). I think there might be a few other added features on the 2013 models, but not enough for me to have any regrets).

I know of one poster who did the exchange, and my bet is that if he gets a good 2013 model, he'll be happy with it.

Rick
post #23 of 33 Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 PM

Just got the new tv. Light bleed is worse than old model. Do you think I should try the rubbing trick? Picture is awesome while playing I only noticed it when switching to a non used hdmi port.
post #24 of 33 Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveselectric View Post

Just got the new tv. Light bleed is worse than old model. Do you think I should try the rubbing trick? Picture is awesome while playing I only noticed it when switching to a non used hdmi port.

If the light bleed is only when you're looking at an input with no signal, or even when you're just booting up then I wouldn't be too bothered. See how it does with movie content for dark scenes. I use Equilibrium to do some checking along with a couple of others.

I'm not sure I would do the rubbing, but I know some folks swear by it. I for sure wouldn't try it unless the bleeding was evident while watching content. Also I'd try setting the smart dimming on and seeing how it helps.

Glad it worked out for you!

Rick
post #25 of 33 Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 PM

Liked: 18
Anyone knows how much longer the "sale price" will last for the 2013 m-651. Seeing a price ranging from $1650-1700. There is a sales tax-free holiday weekend coming at the beginning of August. Wondering if I should take the plunge now at the reduced price or gamble that it will last 3.5 more weeks and save $140 in sales tax.

Asking around the vizio forums for help on this matter. Thx in advance
post #26 of 33 Old 11-21-2013, 04:30 PM

I'm loving our new 65, but a quick question on settings (sorry I'm setting illiterate) - are you guys using the same setting given for the M-Series Razor Mxx1i?

Here's a link to those settings:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/2400#post_23509574

If not would anyone have a list of settings you recommend?

Thanks much!

post #27 of 33 Old 11-26-2013, 10:16 AM

I've been reading everything I can on this set and I am loving what I am reading. I would so much like to pull the trigger on it.
I do have one question that has not been brought up. Does this set, or any of the M series, have the typical Vizio 30sec. lag at startup? Not that it's a deal breaker, but just want to know ahead of time.
post #28 of 33 Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 PM

no real lag - the Vizio logo comes up for about 3-4 seconds, then it's game on!

post #29 of 33 Old 04-01-2014, 02:29 AM

Liked: 30
Are there any current issues with the 65" or is everything still going good? I'm looking into purchasing one in the next couple weeks. Thanks in advance.
post #30 of 33 Old 04-01-2014, 03:53 AM

I've had mine since right after Christmas. Couldn't be more happy with it. No lag on start-up, crisp, clear picture. No problems. It really is a great tv.
PDDUFRENE likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M651d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page