Need Help Finding a 60-65" Display - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the market for a 60-65" display for my living room. With so many models from Samsung, Sharp, LG and others in this size I am hoping for some recommendations of what displays to check out. I currently am running a Sony 60r550a display that has issues and replaced a Sony 60ex720 which until it broke had some clouding but otherwise was great for my needs. The Sony 60ex720 replaced a dying Sharp 88un and was amazing how much better the video processing was compared to what Sharp offered. As to the Sony 60r550a I have tried two 60r550a displays and the first one had noticeable DSE with a lot of video processing issues, the second one has worse DSE but the video processing issues are minor though not as good as my previous 60ex720. I would be OK with the 60r550a except for the DSE issue which ruins sports/action, and since I have had two of these with this issue and others are reporting it, I think it's time for a change.

Size: 60-65" , I feel this size is just right and tried a 70" sharp once and it was too large.

Budget: Trying to stay under $2200

Viewing area: Living Room that gets some daylight from windows and also some of the room lights and various decorations. I usually look for displays that can handle daylight/glare/reflections well which usually means a led/lcd semi matte display but open to recommendations of other types.

Sources: Dish 722hd, Sony Blu-ray, Xbox360, internet apps especially Amazon video.

Viewing material: Regular tv shows, Blu-ray movies, xbox 360 video games, Internet streaming. Dramas, sitcoms, movies, action, and sports.

PQ and Video Processing: I'm not a videophile but want a display that looks good with a defect free uniform screen. Watching sports and action want a display that handles motion well without SOE. By uniform and defect free I mean when viewing normally I don't see clouds, dse, flashlighting, or other issues. I know some people run every test in the book to find out how well their screen looks but for me if it looks good during viewing that's good enough for me.

Input lag: I video game so want a display that can keep up with that.

3d: Not really used but I am not against it, as for passive/active I would take passive over active if everything else about the displays was the same in performance/features.

Smart TV: I would want this for some video streaming apps and internet connectivity but don't need built in cameras and all that stuff. Wifi is not needed since I have wired Ethernet to hookup.

Viewing angles: Want a display that does well around the room.

Look forward to your recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

I am in the market for a 60-65" display for my living room. With so many models from Samsung, Sharp, LG and others in this size I am hoping for some recommendations of what displays to check out. I currently am running a Sony 60r550a display that has issues and replaced a Sony 60ex720 which until it broke had some clouding but otherwise was great for my needs. The Sony 60ex720 replaced a dying Sharp 88un and was amazing how much better the video processing was compared to what Sharp offered. As to the Sony 60r550a I have tried two 60r550a displays and the first one had noticeable DSE with a lot of video processing issues, the second one has worse DSE but the video processing issues are minor though not as good as my previous 60ex720. I would be OK with the 60r550a except for the DSE issue which ruins sports/action, and since I have had two of these with this issue and others are reporting it, I think it's time for a change.

Size: 60-65" , I feel this size is just right and tried a 70" sharp once and it was too large.

Budget: Trying to stay under $2200

Viewing area: Living Room that gets some daylight from windows and also some of the room lights and various decorations. I usually look for displays that can handle daylight/glare/reflections well which usually means a led/lcd semi matte display but open to recommendations of other types.

Sources: Dish 722hd, Sony Blu-ray, Xbox360, internet apps especially Amazon video.

Viewing material: Regular tv shows, Blu-ray movies, xbox 360 video games, Internet streaming. Dramas, sitcoms, movies, action, and sports.

PQ and Video Processing: I'm not a videophile but want a display that looks good with a defect free uniform screen. Watching sports and action want a display that handles motion well without SOE. By uniform and defect free I mean when viewing normally I don't see clouds, dse, flashlighting, or other issues. I know some people run every test in the book to find out how well their screen looks but for me if it looks good during viewing that's good enough for me.

Input lag: I video game so want a display that can keep up with that.

3d: Not really used but I am not against it, as for passive/active I would take passive over active if everything else about the displays was the same in performance/features.

Smart TV: I would want this for some video streaming apps and internet connectivity but don't need built in cameras and all that stuff. Wifi is not needed since I have wired Ethernet to hookup.

Viewing angles: Want a display that does well around the room.

Look forward to your recommendations.

Than what you need is a PLASMA, everything you mentioned is a problem with every LCD out there on your budget. A Panasonic S60 would give you everything you need and would kill any LCD in picture quality in that price range.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3 of 25 Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Than what you need is a PLASMA, everything you mentioned is a problem with every LCD out there on your budget. A Panasonic S60 would give you everything you need and would kill any LCD in picture quality in that price range.

Thanks for the response - As for Plasma I tried a Samsung plasma 58" a few years ago and I came away with an overriding impression - That plasma did not work well for my living room, during the day the picture was hard to see and at night reflections/glare from various things became apparent and very distracting. I can say that the viewing location and surrounding area are not going to be changed for a display and since lcd/led with matte/semi matte do fine it's why I am thinking lcd/led tech. Now maybe that Samsung doesn't represent today's plasma in terms of brightness and handling reflections/glare and if that's the case I am more than willing to look at them. Any you recommend for my viewing conditions?

I did look into a review on the Samsung 8500 which supposedly does better in brighter areas but the input lag I saw reported (100+ms) stopped me from checking any further.
post #4 of 25 Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 PM

Liked: 26
The s60 would fail miserably in this setting because of all the light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #5 of 25 Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM

The vt60 or more preferably ZT (way over budget) would be where'd you would need to look. The ZT's panel eats light for breakfast

post #6 of 25 Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaomizzle View Post

The vt60 or more preferably ZT (way over budget) would be where'd you would need to look. The ZT's panel eats light for breakfast

What about the ST model?
post #7 of 25 Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The ST model was given a 5 star rating by CNET (first time ever) and is reviewed in the current issue of Sound & Vision Magazine. They love it. Bargain of the year. Very close to the VT series in PQ and features. I don't see enough return on your investment in going with the VT but it's your money.
post #8 of 25 Old 06-05-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

One other set I would recommend. The 550 series passive 3D from Sony. IN you price range, solid Smart features, comes with free glasses. Typical LCD off axis viewing concerns and has a pretty glassy screen.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-05-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

The ST model was given a 5 star rating by CNET (first time ever) and is reviewed in the current issue of Sound & Vision Magazine. They love it. Bargain of the year. Very close to the VT series in PQ and features. I don't see enough return on your investment in going with the VT but it's your money.

I just read that the ST has high input lag according to Cnet, if this has been corrected or a work around found I will add this model to my list.
Quote:

One other set I would recommend. The 550 series passive 3D from Sony. IN you price range, solid Smart features, comes with free glasses. Typical LCD off axis viewing concerns and has a pretty glassy screen.

I have tried two 60" 550 sets and both have had pretty bad DSE for major areas of the screen. Also the first one had horrible video processing but the second one it's OK but not as good as the previous 60ex720. Checking the 550 thread I'm not the only one with the DSE issue and not sure there are any out there without the DSE issue int he 60" size. I can say if the second 550 wouldn't have the very noticeable DSE I would keep it and hope the video processing could be tweaked with some settings or firmware updates.
post #10 of 25 Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Andy the input lag is why the st makes ni sense for him. ROI in the VT pays huge dividends in this department alone

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

post #11 of 25 Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not a gamer so input lag is something I would never notice. As far as DSE try my settings on the 550 thread. I have zero DSE problems but maybe I'm just lucky.
post #12 of 25 Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not a gamer so input lag is something I would never notice. As far as DSE try my settings on the 550 thread. I have zero DSE problems but maybe I'm just lucky.
Anyd

I wish there was a setting that would fix what I see what I see wrong with my r550a but I have tried various settings and resets to no avail. The dse blobls are bad especially during Sports. In the r550 thread a few pics have been posted of what people are seeing and that is close to what I see. What size display do you have and did you try out anything else before the r550a and if so what were your thoughts?
post #13 of 25 Old 06-05-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the 70" and I have sent back two Vizio 70"ers. Both had screen uniformity problems (flash lighting and clouding). With my 70R550A i see no screen uniformity problems at all. I''m pretty sure that the 70" Sony screen is from LG but I have no idea where the 60" screen is coming from. I think the Sharp 70" is also from LG. Actually I can't keep track of who is using what screen and if you ask the manufacture they are reluctant to tell you. Take the Vizio 70" screen. I was told that the E series is using a LG screen as well as a Sharp (who I was told was using a LG screen) screen and that the new M series is using a screen from AOU. It seems like all of the blob issues with the 550 are with the 60". If I was a gamer I would check out the Panasonic VT60 and the Samsung F8500 and see what kind of response times they were getting. But the only game I can play is PONG and Frogger.
post #14 of 25 Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the responses my short list so far looks like this:

Size 60-65"
Sony R550a (tried two both had noticeable DSE and video processing has some quirks so far)
Samsung pn8500 (supposedly bad input lag but have to research and this model exceeds my budget)
Panasonic p60st60 (supposedly high input lag but price is right)
Panasonic p60VT60 ( ok input lag but over budget)

Some others I am looking into:
Samsung UN60F7500AF
Samsung UN65F6400AFXZA

Feel free to chime in if there are other sets and/or brands to look into for my needs.

Edit Update I also am looking at the LG 60la7400
post #15 of 25 Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

Thanks for the responses my short list so far looks like this:

Size 60-65"
Sony R550a (tried two both had noticeable DSE and video processing has some quirks so far)
Samsung pn8500 (supposedly bad input lag but have to research and this model exceeds my budget)
Panasonic p60st60 (supposedly high input lag but price is right)
Panasonic p60VT60 ( ok input lag but over budget)

Some others I am looking into:
Samsung UN60F7500AF
Samsung UN65F6400AFXZA

Feel free to chime in if there are other sets and/or brands to look into for my needs.

Edit Update I also am looking at the LG 60la7400

Update - I added a few other displays to my list -
Samsung pn5500 65" model (seems 60" has the pentile display where the 65 does not).
Samsung unf7100

Also the Sony R550a I currently have with dse blob is handling sports/motion better since the latest FW update and setting tweaks I made but the darn blob is still there.
post #16 of 25 Old 06-10-2013, 08:01 AM

I think you should consider spending slightly more and moving towards the UNXXF8000 models. I think they make a 55, 60 and 65.

From everything I've read the F8000 seems to have eliminated clouding and flashlighting since the main components that heat up are no longer in contact with components that cause flashlighting..
post #17 of 25 Old 06-10-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumrush View Post

I think you should consider spending slightly more and moving towards the UNXXF8000 models. I think they make a 55, 60 and 65.

From everything I've read the F8000 seems to have eliminated clouding and flashlighting since the main components that heat up are no longer in contact with components that cause flashlighting..

I will look into it though it may be out of my budget.
post #18 of 25 Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok finally got some things straightened out and still looking for a 60"-65" display that looks good, handles glare/reflections well, good game performance and keeps up with sports/action well so any other recommendations?

I have checked out the Sony r550a twice not a bad set but seems to be lacking some PQ/motion handling features of some other models
LGla7400 nice set but not a lot of information on it
Samsung 6300/6400/7100/8000 - All are nice but the 8000 does look great but read some issues with glare and gaming lag. Also does more money mean better pq?

Thanks!
post #19 of 25 Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thought I would bump this thread. I have seen the f6400, f7100, f8000 and all are very nice but is the 8000 worth the price compared to the 7100? Also what about the 7500?
post #20 of 25 Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 AM

Liked: 14
I own the P60VT60 and based on the price I got on it just over a month ago it's not out of your budget. I was also able to include a 4 year service plan within your price range.
As far as your list of requirements is concerned, I feel that it would meet all of them exceptionally well minus the Viewing Area. While I have my VT60 in a room with windows, I have the ability to control much of that lighting with blinds. Only one seat in my room would have a problem with glare from those windows, but as I said, I can control that for the most part.
I also play some XBox360 games on it and I haven't experienced noticeable lag.
After 6 weeks of owning this TV, I would recommend it to anyone, but I haven't really seen it in a room with a lot of natural light. If you pick it up, just make sure you've got a good return policy on it, in the event that it's not bright enough or is too reflective for your environment.

Link to my review of the Panasonic P60VT60
post #21 of 25 Old 09-04-2013, 11:33 AM

Liked: 11
Vizio M Series??
post #22 of 25 Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
From your recommendations, are there any of those with matte screen? I am also looking for a 65" TV but I need it to do the following

1) not reflect - thus the matte screen
2) have good picture despite all the lights (so i need a TV that can handle bright light as we have many windows)
3) 3D and if possible, passive. I'm not sure if active 3D is already good but I tried it a couple of years ago and my eyes got strained. Did the technology catch up with active 3D already which doesn't fatigue your eyes?

LCD/LED with matte screen would be the answer for this right?
post #23 of 25 Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Liked: 14
Hey Briant73,
My top choices would have to be from Samsung or LG's line of LCD/LED Displays. Samsung is leading the way in electronic technology by pushing the industry into SMART TV's, and cutting edge 3D and OLED displays. Both Samsung and LG offer exceptional quality as far as contrast imaging goes although, Samsung seems to literally lag behind when it comes to image streaming. Samsung has improved some in their Refresh Rate but, I believe LG might have a slight advantage over their competition. When it comes to any larger display unit like 60"+ there tends to be an issue with a bit of lagging on the images.

Ben
Lead Tech, AA Rental
post #24 of 25 Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm excited to say that my Panasonic ZT 65" is being installed into my 7.1 system as I type.

3 Aragon Amps
Rotel Processor
Aerial Acoustic 10's, 5's, SR3s and CC3 speakers
Oppo 103 BR
APC Protection unit.
post #25 of 25 Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am trying out a Samsung 60 f8000 set right now I will report back on my findings.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Blu Ray Disc Dvd Player , Xbox 360 Console , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page