Samsung F7100 vs Sony W802A - Movies/TV & Video Games - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I picked up a 55" F7100 this weekend. So far I'm absolutely loving it. I have everything plugged into my Denon receiver, and an HDMI going from monitor out into HDMI2 (ARC) on my TV. So far the gaming performance on my Xbox 360 is awesome, even in non-game mode. I also tested out the 3D features with a 3D BluRay copy of Toy Story 3 and it absolutely blew me away. I haven't watched SD content yet, but my HD channels on FiOS look great as well. For reference, I'm coming from a Sony 55NX720 that failed on me after 20 months. I have typically always bought Sony in the past, and I figured it was time for something different.

The W802A looked a bit dull to me when at the store. Even when I got the remote from an employee and adjusted it a bit, the picture still looked dim. Perhaps I'm just a sucker for the brighter more popping picture of the Samsung. The bezel of the Samsung is also far more sexy in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
The Sony screen did look "duller" in the store when I checked a few out too...but I knew it was from the instore vivid settings and didn't really hold it against the Sony. Overall though, I wanted the 60" screen size, liked the look of the Samsung better, and was more sold on their LCD reputation in the last few years. The Sony has a slight edge for gaming (spec-wise) but since I noticed no issues with input lag on the 60" 7100 I don't feel like I am at a disadvantage there.
acejam2k likes this.

HT: 60" Samsung UN60F7100, Infinity Primus 360 towers/152 rears/PC350 center, Elemental Designs A2-300 12" sub
Music: PSB Image 6 bookshelf pair, Yamaha R-S500 stereo receiver, Def Tech AW5500 outdoor speakers for patio
Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Anyone that bought either of these TVs have any opinions on them for gaming?

I'm about 1 month in with my F7100 and still enjoy it for gaming. I still haven't played many very dark games yet, but any edge bleed or flashlighting is easily dealt with by just not playing in a pitch dark room. Still no noticeable ghosting/shadow-trailing in any of the games I've played. I only use Game Mode for gaming though.

HT: 60" Samsung UN60F7100, Infinity Primus 360 towers/152 rears/PC350 center, Elemental Designs A2-300 12" sub
Music: PSB Image 6 bookshelf pair, Yamaha R-S500 stereo receiver, Def Tech AW5500 outdoor speakers for patio
Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Liked: 13
I have had the 65" f7100 for about a month now and love it. I dont notice any input lag gaming and i only play FPS. COD, Bioshock, etc.
The picture is great and couldnt be happier with my purchase. Anyone on the fence id say go with the f7100. Although i dont like the 60" version because it does have a noticably thicker bezel.

Panasonic 65VT60
Onkyo 9400THX
PS3 Slim
Xbox360
Directtv HD DVR
Logitech Harmony 900
Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytime View Post

So I'm pretty much between the F7100 and W802A for my new 55-60" tv. I would get the Panny ST60 but the input lag is pretty terrible, which would drive me nuts for videogames.

Can anyone give me some good advice on which TV they prefer between the two? Right now what is keeping me on the fence is that the Sony has excellenct input lag (20ms) versus the Samsung (43ms), but the Samsung I can get in 60" instead of 55". Can anyone with the F7100 comment on its video game performance?

Thanks in advance.

I just picked up the Samsung "55 f7100 to replace my Panasonic ST50, which I have moved to my bedroom.

After firing up my Xbox 360 and playing Battlefield 3 on Live, I immediately noticed a difference. The controls felt more responsive and the hit detection improved compared to my ST50.

Now if your biggest concern is input lag and your genres of choice are fighters, and first person shooters. Than perhaps you should take a serious look at the Sony.

Personally I found the 7100 to be a happy medium for watching movies, TV and playing video games.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:24 AM

Liked: 10
Glad i found this thread. I am actually decide to choose between 55F7500 and 55W802A. Yea i know the F7500 is more expensive but i can get a deal that made it affordable to me. Since this thread is more about F7100 vs. W802A. Can i also apply F7500 here? Specially about input lag, edge bleed, flashlighting... There are not too many user experience for F7500 specially gaming experience.

I read the reply here about different manufacturer for the F7100 panel, is this also apply to F7500? (this is news to me as I always assume all Samsung TV are manufacture by Samsung!?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINEraser View Post

I received my 55W802A yesterday and was able to set it up and test out a few things. First off, wow what a picture! The Sony handles motion and color extremely well.

During the day the screen is bright enough in my corner condo unit. Although the screen is glossier that I would have liked...it does show reflections a lot more than my previous Vizio set that had a matte screen. I will say that the Sony screen isn't extremely glossy...it is somewhere between matte and glossy.

So here is what I tested out: Uncharted 3 in 3D, US Open golf, NBA finals, 3D sample clips from the on board Sony Entertainment Network, and Avengers Bluray (wanted to try this in 3D but got an error that the signal wasn't supported) All of it looked and felt unbelievably crisp and clear. I found that the Soap Opera Effect is easily fixed by keeping the motion setting on TruCinema or Off. If it is set to Smooth motion then there is the SOE. There is a bit of flash lighting on completely black screens in a dark room, but nothing that is a deal breaker. The picture just pops much more than my 3year old Vizio did.

The native 3D is mostly spectacular. And the 2D to 3D convertion is handled really well. I'm looking forward to watching the Stanley Cup Finals in 3D! I did find the Sony glasses to be a bit small, as in the frames around the lenses are a bit visually intrusive. I have some LG passive glasses that viewing felt much more comfortable with. With the 3D being Passive I did notice horizontal black lines from my viewing distance...which admittedly is close at 7-8ft. Sitting further back at my couch you can't notice them at all.

I'm still messing with the settings to try and work out the best presets for movies, gaming, sports and tv. One setting that was mentioned the forums was CineMotion. I read that the preferred setting was CineMotion = Auto 1. I however was only able to see a setting for Auto or Off. Any thoughts on how to get Auto 1 to be available?

I'll post more thoughts when I've tested more settings. Overall, so far I am pleased with my decision. I just wish the screen was a bit more matte...but who knows, maybe then the picture wouldn't be as punchy. Good luck!

How has your overall experience been so far. Are you happy with the Sony.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 PM

Liked: 66
I've been trying to find a good tv and it is hard. First I bought the 55f6300 and it wasn't bad except for constant dark spots in all 4 corners. So I exchanged it at BB for a Sony 55802a, I loved this set in the store. I noticed a dead pixel immediately after I set it up. It also had some of the worst backlight bleed I've ever seen. Huge white clouds in the bottom corners and 2 smaller ones up top. I messed around with the settings, even turned the backlight down to 2, but the clouding still made it unwatchable during dark scenes. I don't know if this is a common problem with the 802a's, but I really didn't want to chance it.

So today I went to BB again picked out a 55f7100 and set up a delivery/ exchange appointment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I'm over the whole researching and exchanging business.

Tags
Sony Kdl 55w802a 55 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl 47w802a 47 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl 47w802a 47 Inch Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv