On Samsung LED-LCDs, does the entire service menu reside somewhere on the main board? Or is it not localized to a single part? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-06-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
A couple of months ago, I had my Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD serviced for a picture problem and the main board was replaced. I noticed that this required me to redo my calibration entirely (especially with regards to white balance/grayscale). I also noticed my N/D modes were reset (which usually can only be reset by selecting those modes in the user menu and doing the 'picture reset'... unlike the other pic modes that are reset whenever the TV is (factory reset) or when the SM is accessed). I know the TV has various major parts such as the panel/t-con, power board, and of course, the main board.

My question is whether the entire service menu resides somewhere on the main board alone or if it's not localized to a single part and rather parts of it exist/are stored on the various major components in the TV?

Can someone with experience in this subject explain how this all works? As in exactly where the firmware/service menu data & settings reside in the TV with respect to the major components (panel, t-con, main board, power board, etc.)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-09-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

anyone? did I post this in the wrong sub-forum?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yes, all menu/tv/firmware settings, controller, processing are done/stored in few ic's/chips located on the mainboard only.
T-CON= timing control board is to drive/control the LCD panel, Powerboard=powersupply controller.

So when your mainboard is replaced and you didn't backup/wrote down the SM/tv menu settings, you have recalibrate it all.
Panasonic tv do have an option to save SM data to SD card.

You can download the service manual of a comparable model for verifying here:
http://elektrotanya.com/samsung_uexxes61xxx_uexxes63xxx_uexxes65xxx_uexxes67xxx_uexxes68xxx_chassis_u78a_u79a.pdf/download.html
post #4 of 4 Old 06-09-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrad View Post

Yes, all menu/tv/firmware settings, controller, processing are done/stored in few ic's/chips located on the mainboard only.
T-CON= timing control board is to drive/control the LCD panel, Powerboard=powersupply controller.

So when your mainboard is replaced and you didn't backup/wrote down the SM/tv menu settings, you have recalibrate it all.
Panasonic tv do have an option to save SM data to SD card.

You can download the service manual of a comparable model for verifying here:
http://elektrotanya.com/samsung_uexxes61xxx_uexxes63xxx_uexxes65xxx_uexxes67xxx_uexxes68xxx_chassis_u78a_u79a.pdf/download.html

so every setting on the entire TV (user menu and service menu) is on the main board... that's what I assumed but wanted to be sure

regarding calibration, I couldn't really use my user menu picture settings after the board was swapped since the new board had very different w/b settings in the service menu and I don't mess with those (under ADC/WB)... in fact the difference between the two main boards was so big I had to calibrate with a different color temp preset on the new board so that the user white balance settings would have enough range without adjusting green offset and gains

thanks for clarifying
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Electronics Un46fh6030 46 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page