My Elite 60X5FD needs to be replaced. Need advise. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello Everyone,

Sharp decided my Elite 60 needs to be replaced (picture quality issues) and I was offered an Aquos LC-80LE857U in exchange since there is no more Elite around.
My understanding is that the Aquos is not a full array LED TV and I am yet to see its picture quality. I am not sure if I can walk away with a refund if I don't take the offer (I have thirty days to decide), but would like to hear what you guys think.

Any reply is much appreciated.

Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyKat View Post

Hello Everyone,

Sharp decided my Elite 60 needs to be replaced (picture quality issues) and I was offered an Aquos LC-80LE857U in exchange since there is no more Elite around.
My understanding is that the Aquos is not a full array LED TV and I am yet to see its picture quality. I am not sure if I can walk away with a refund if I don't take the offer (I have thirty days to decide), but would like to hear what you guys think.

Any reply is much appreciated.

Thank you all.

I would take the refund for sure, sorry to hear about that. You need to go and see the pic quality yourself before deciding though, you will have size but not same pic quality.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #3 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Latino, but problem is, what do I buy to replace the Elite? Suggestions?
post #4 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Thank you Latino, but problem is, what do I buy to replace the Elite? Suggestions?

PQ wise I think it will be hard to find an adequate replacement. My 70X5 biases my view. If I had a 60" and had to replace it, I would look at the top end Panny (65") and Samsung plasmas (64"). If you have to have an LCD, look at the Sony 959 (#?) in 65" which has full array with local dimming. I pray that my 70X5 lasts another 3-4 years without serious problems. I would tell Sharp that since they no longer make a set with the same or better PQ, you must have a refund.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

dsinger,
Thank you for your input. I am going to wait for a few more days before I call Elite and decide what to do. I will also look at Panny. I don't have to have an LCD/LED; it doesn't really matter. All I care about is the picture quality.
I much appreciate your reply.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

If you want the best picture quality , the top of the line Panasonic ZT60 or the Samsung F8500. If you must have LCD than check out Sony XBRX900A 4K TV. All very pricey but the Panasonic ST60 has excellent picture quality and is 2013 best bang for buck tv. VT60 is slightly better too. All awesome TV's. just remember that viewing them at the stores is not ideal, they crank them up to torch/vivid mode to look the brightest, at your home they will look so much better once they have proper settings.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #7 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 PM

Liked: 10
I want very good PQ with no buzzing and issues...i can choose any samsung,sharp,lg's thru dell website as im already approved there etc..lol...pls pick one for me...ty
post #8 of 16 Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 PM

Liked: 15
I'd look at this option:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A6813241

The fd8500 rate just a slight bit less than the 2013 Panasonic ZT60 and the VT60 and they all trade blows for the top 3 spots overall.

I don't think the LCD's available at dell are very good versus the FD8500 plasma.

Samsung's 2013 LCD is OK but it is the same price and doesn't compare to the 2013 plasmas.

The direct led backlight Sony rate ok but I don't see them on dell's site and the LG's and Sharps don't compare well at all in terms of PQ.

Sharp's IGZO 4K panels are supposed to have a very advanced CMS and should be better than the Sony models but I don't see them available outside of japan yet so overall, from the models I can see at Dell's site I'd really just consider the one I linked unless someone else has an idea of why one of the other models might work better.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

If you want the best picture quality , the top of the line Panasonic ZT60 or the Samsung F8500. If you must have LCD than check out Sony XBRX900A 4K TV. All very pricey but the Panasonic ST60 has excellent picture quality and is 2013 best bang for buck tv. VT60 is slightly better too. All awesome TV's. just remember that viewing them at the stores is not ideal, they crank them up to torch/vivid mode to look the brightest, at your home they will look so much better once they have proper settings.

I am thinking about going with the ZT60 as you suggested Latino. Thank you for your input.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermined View Post

I'd look at this option:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A6813241

The fd8500 rate just a slight bit less than the 2013 Panasonic ZT60 and the VT60 and they all trade blows for the top 3 spots overall.

I don't think the LCD's available at dell are very good versus the FD8500 plasma.

Samsung's 2013 LCD is OK but it is the same price and doesn't compare to the 2013 plasmas.

The direct led backlight Sony rate ok but I don't see them on dell's site and the LG's and Sharps don't compare well at all in terms of PQ.

Sharp's IGZO 4K panels are supposed to have a very advanced CMS and should be better than the Sony models but I don't see them available outside of japan yet so overall, from the models I can see at Dell's site I'd really just consider the one I linked unless someone else has an idea of why one of the other models might work better.

Thank you for your input, undermined. I never had a plasma TV, so I should probably give it a shot.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

Thank you for your input, undermined. I never had a plasma TV, so I should probably give it a shot.
Just know that plasma's are not very bright compared to an LED. But the colors and detail along with
Great black levels and great viewing angles are big pluses for plasma. Plus motion on the Panasonic is
First rate! But if your tv viewing room is bright, you could be unhappy!
I own a ZT60 and it does have a great picture.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-15-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

Just know that plasma's are not very bright compared to an LED. But the colors and detail along with
Great black levels and great viewing angles are big pluses for plasma. Plus motion on the Panasonic is
First rate! But if your tv viewing room is bright, you could be unhappy!
I own a ZT60 and it does have a great picture.

I can make the room dark, even during the day. Problem is, I would like to have a TV that is as good as the Elite. Still debating with myself on what to get. The ZT60 is on the top of my list. Still waiting on Sharp on what their offer is going to be.
Thank you for your thoughts. Much appreciated.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can make the room dark, even during the day. Problem is, I would like to have a TV that is as good as the Elite. Still debating with myself on what to get. The ZT60 is on the top of my list. Still waiting on Sharp on what their offer is going to be.
Thank you for your thoughts. Much appreciated.
I think the ZT60 will please you with it's picture quality. The picture quality is outstanding. Black levels are fantastic. Just not very bright! But color accuracy a big plus! some of the ZT60 panels have fan noise problems. Though it's hard to say what % do.
SleepyKat likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-18-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked: 1519
I would definitely suggest you look at the Samsung F8500. I have the 60" Sharp Elite and was planning to get the 70" Elite for our new place. Unfortunately, as you know, Sharp stopped production and had numerous issues with the last production run.

After countless trips to Magnolia, attending the VE shootout and the Panasonic show where the ZT60 was unveiled and seeing a calibrated VT60, ZT60 and F8500 sitting next to each other, I wound up getting the F8500.

I can tell you that the 8500 comes much closer to the PQ characteristics of the Elite than the Panasonics. They are much brighter and are able to retain that brightness much better than the VT or ZT due to a better controlled ABL.

The ABL (automatic brightness limiter) is a characteristic of all plasmas and is responsible for the numerous comments that plasma whites look "gray", "dirty" or "dim". LEDs don't have this characteristic and, as a result, retain brilliant whites when large expanses of bright imagery begin to fill up a screen. A typical plasma takes that same scene and throttles back on that brightness since its power supply can't deal with the requirements of such a bright scene.

Enter the F8500. Through a combination of engineering features involving the pixel/cell structure and power supply, the Samsung has far better control of its ABL and is far less aggressive in its behavior. The result is that bright scenes are throttled back much less than in the Panasonics and thus look more natural. Whites appear whiter. This gives the image a look that is more akin to your Elite. Owning both I can attest to that. You'll see this in any lighting environment, from bright room lighting to dark.

The plus over the Elite is a far better viewing angle and better color in the cyan area. The 8500 actually has better 'measured' color in general than the Elite and conforms better to Rec709, but I've never had an issue with my Elite's color. If you happen to have a scene with cyan in the picture (not that common), you will see the difference.

The only downside of the F8500 relative to the Elite or ZT, is a slight hit in black levels. To put this in perspective, the F8500's black levels would have been considered the best in the plasma world just last year. It's only the new ZT/VT that have a slight edge this year. However as I saw at the shootout and have experienced at home, you won't see the black level difference 95% of the time. In the real world though, watching a movie like the Dark Night, you'll see blacks on the 8500 that I can only describe as 'inky'. On fades to black you'll see a bit of a difference favoring the Panasonics and a very slight advantage in shadow detail.

Overall, IMO, the 8500's imagery is far more 'LED-like' than the Panasonic and this makes for a far easier transition from the Elite.
SleepyKat likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I agree with everything Ken just said. Coming from a 60" Elite, the next best thing would be a Samsung F8500 plasma. The Panasonics are awesome, but the picture on the Sammy is closer to what you are used to. If you are forced to get another Sharp product, I'm not sure what to tell you. They no longer make a set that has nearly as good of a picture as the Elite.
SleepyKat likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

There are only two choices for SleepyKat. The Samsung 8500 or the Panasonic ZT60/VT60.
All other sets currently available would not match Elite's PQ.
SleepyKat likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp He Lc 70le857u 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page