I want 70 inches under $3000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Whats the best price to performance 70 inch set under $3000.

I have not followed LCD/LED sets for a few years and do not really know what the better performing sets are in this market. Smart aps, streaming, and 3D are not that important to me. Biggest screen with good picture quality is what I am after, everything else is secondary.

FWIW, I do have my eyes on the panasonic ST60 plasma, but since my current set is already a 65 incher I want to explore larger 70 inch (or bigger) sets.

So what is out there worthy of consideration?

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I have the 75" Samsung 75F6400 which is great but goes for $4k. If you can't stretch to that, at your price point you have a choice of:

- the Vizio e series 701 which is dirt cheap at around $1600, 2D only. Very good bang for the buck but so so black levels . There is a long thread on it as its been out for a while.

- the Vizio m series, and new Sony, both of which are around $2400 and just starting to ship. Owners threads here as well so check for reports as they get into the hands of owners. Both 3d passive I believe

- tons of different Sharp 70" models as well, some 2d, some 3d. I'm not so familiar with these.

Good luck in the hunt and I definitely agree with your inclination to go bigger. That's how I landed at 75" after having had a 70" Vizio.

Btw the older (632, 844) 80" sharps can often be had for not too much more than $3k if you can find one...

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-14-2013, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^thanks for the reply. I was able start doing some research. I am still leaning more toward the 65inch ST60 panny plasma, but now I am interested in checking out the Sharp 70-Inch LE757 and Sony KDL-70R550A and I am even going to give the VIZIO M701d-A3R a good hard look as well. I wont be buying until towards the end of July so I have some decision making time.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

^^thanks for the reply. I was able start doing some research. I am still leaning more toward the 65inch ST60 panny plasma, but now I am interested in checking out the Sharp 70-Inch LE757 and Sony KDL-70R550A and I am even going to give the VIZIO M701d-A3R a good hard look as well. I wont be buying until towards the end of July so I have some decision making time.

That Panny plasma is a great set no doubt, though you do trade size in that case. Also, despite what plasma fans say, IR and BI can still be a problem with plasmas. Lots of comments in lots of threads about this, including debate. But I've seen it enough with my own eyes to know that in my household with little kids who love to leave static graphic screens up for hours on end...not a great idea. And, I wanted the size!

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #5 of 6 Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

That Panny plasma is a great set no doubt, though you do trade size in that case. Also, despite what plasma fans say, IR and BI can still be a problem with plasmas. Lots of comments in lots of threads about this, including debate. But I've seen it enough with my own eyes to know that in my household with little kids who love to leave static graphic screens up for hours on end...not a great idea. And, I wanted the size!

no doubt IR is a concern with the plasmas, from what I gather it is not as bad as it used to be, but with kids gaming and other static images it is a consideration that must be taken into account..... that and wanting a bigger then a 65 inch screen are the biggest factors in why I am exploring all options. The wife and I were discussing last night and we will likely get the plasma for our bedroom (probably 55inches)...that will beat the 5 year old 32inch 720p cheapie toshiba lcd we have in there now...lol.

after tomorrow i have 4 days off work, so I will be hitting up some stores locally for demo's on the LED sets I mentioned to see what i see...

post #6 of 6 Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today I checked out the sony 550a and the 7 and 8 series sharps. Between them I like the Sony in store subjectively it has the best black levels with whatever vividly type in store settings were selected. I didn't like the motion intropolation that was on. I also liked the sharp 8 series le853 I think was the model. The color looked very natural and while the in store setting did have the motion enhancement feature on it did not bug me as much as the Sony did....in either case I wouldn't use the motiom features anyway. Overall though due to the Sony's better in store blacks I am leaning towards it over the sharp. I still want to check out the vizio before I make my final choice....then when I get my July bonus from work go and buy one of these bad boys.

There was one set that really stood out among all the sets in store and that was the samsung f8500 plasma...good god that set is beautiful....it made the vt60 right next to it look dim and pale by comparision.....sorry to bring up the plasmas in this thread but damn samsung for making that set too small and over my budget.....tongue.gif

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un75f6400 75 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page