Sony KDL- EX700 - Unable to update firmware - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TV is connected to the Internet, System Update is set to ON and internet connectivity is fine - yet the firmware won't be updated. I downloaded the firmware to the USB and followed all possible instructions - yet the TV won't update the firmware. The USB is recognized by the TV and shows all the folders.

TV firmware is PKG4.110GAL-0108 => trying to upgrade to 4.114.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Malik View Post

TV is connected to the Internet, System Update is set to ON and internet connectivity is fine - yet the firmware won't be updated. I downloaded the firmware to the USB and followed all possible instructions - yet the TV won't update the firmware. The USB is recognized by the TV and shows all the folders.

TV firmware is PKG4.110GAL-0108 => trying to upgrade to 4.114.

This is because PKG4.110GAL-0108 is the latest firmware version for Asian models. I spent some hours yesterday trying out different thumb drives and procedures before I finally searched for details of the current firmware (PKG4.110GAL-0108) and realized that this was the latest version for Asian models. How I ended up with an Asian model I'm not exactly sure as I bought this in Germany. However, after restoring system settings, I was only able to choose Australia, New Zealand and some other SE Asian countries so I'm sure this is the case.

European and American models are upgradable to 4.114, but not the Asian model.

I've read that one can access the TV's root (Linux distribution) and modify that so the TV thinks it's a European model (https://github.com/CFSworks/nimue). At that point it would take the 4.114 update. I'm not going to start playing around with the software on my TV unless it breaks. 4.114's upgrades would be nice, but definitely not worth bricking my TV.

Basically, it is possible but I wouldn't recommend doing so if your TV is currently operating.

It's just a shame that the folks at Sony can't find the time to repackage 4.114 for the Asian models. Seems like just a bit of laziness on their part.....
post #3 of 3 Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArktinenJenkki View Post

This is because PKG4.110GAL-0108 is the latest firmware version for Asian models. I spent some hours yesterday trying out different thumb drives and procedures before I finally searched for details of the current firmware (PKG4.110GAL-0108) and realized that this was the latest version for Asian models. How I ended up with an Asian model I'm not exactly sure as I bought this in Germany. However, after restoring system settings, I was only able to choose Australia, New Zealand and some other SE Asian countries so I'm sure this is the case.

European and American models are upgradable to 4.114, but not the Asian model.

I've read that one can access the TV's root (Linux distribution) and modify that so the TV thinks it's a European model (https://github.com/CFSworks/nimue). At that point it would take the 4.114 update. I'm not going to start playing around with the software on my TV unless it breaks. 4.114's upgrades would be nice, but definitely not worth bricking my TV.

Basically, it is possible but I wouldn't recommend doing so if your TV is currently operating.

It's just a shame that the folks at Sony can't find the time to repackage 4.114 for the Asian models. Seems like just a bit of laziness on their part.....

One way to verify that this is the case with your TV is to go to the support page for your model on Sony Asia's website and download that the latest firmware update, PKG4.110GAL-0108 (the one on your TV now). Now, unzip that file and place that in the root of your thumb drive. It won't update since you already have that version, but you will see a message when you plug it into your TV that shows it's looking at that folder for firmware but a newer version cannot be found.

I noticed that the folder name for the firmware is different for European and Asian models. Before you ask, I tried using the 4.114 firmware update and changing the folder to the Asian file name. It probably wasn't a good idea as I'm not sure what would have happened if the Bravia would have tried to install the Euro version over the current Asian firmware. Regardless, it didn't work anyway, so no harm done.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Ex 700 Series 32 Inch Led Tv Black Kdl 32ex700
Gear in this thread

User Tag List